Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Can we trade 2-3 spots back and take Latham? That would be ideal. We need another pick. 

If one of the teams that is 2-3 spots behind us wants to trade up to #10, sure. But it takes 2 to make that deal happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, CTJetsFan said:

If one of the teams that is 2-3 spots behind us wants to trade up to #10, sure. But it takes 2 to make that deal happen.

If there’s a draft where jd should have options to trade back it’s this one, with denver and LV right behind him.  I hope he can slide back to 13.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I agree and I like Bowers as a prospect. I think he could be a good weapon when used correctly. But TE is just not a premium position. Look at the list of TEs with a 1000 yard season. He'd basically have to be one of the greatest TEs of all time to:

A) make an impact

B ) justify being picked at 10

Screenshot_20240404_074553_Chrome.jpg

I think Yards might be the wrong metric to judge TE by.

Catch % and Receptions for 1st Down is what they really shine at.  That 6 yard crosser on 3rd and 5 is where the gold is.

Kelce generates about 60+ 1st downs every season.  Somewhere there is a number that can convert that into points and into VAR.  I don't have that.  But a good TE will extend drives, score in the red zone, and keep pressure off of the WRs, even if they aren't amazing blockers.  Now there probably aren't more than a handful of TEs who can do that right now, and I'm also not sure how much is the system and the QB as opposed to the player, but don't underestimate the value of Kelce to KC.  He is absolutely instrumental to their championships.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

If there’s a draft where jd should have options to trade back it’s this one, with denver and LV right behind him.  I hope he can slide back to 13.

That would bring back a 3rd, which I would be 100% in favor of.

15 hours ago, nycdan said:

Let's all agree Francesa is dumber than a tackling dummy when it comes to sports.

However, this made me reconsider what we might do at 10:

I've been craving me some Odunze, but recognize he may not make it there.  Alt probably won't either.  I really can't separate the other LTs (Fuaga, Fautanu, Fashanu, and Latham).  But I give Simms a little bit of respect for his draft prospect analysis.  I didn't think Latham was the OT2, so this was a surprise.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jc-latham/32004c41-5405-9109-f911-a29e9cf30811

listen to the last comment on his workout  " what do you think of his workout?" , "he's big"  lol

hes an interesting prospect and a scary one. looked sluggish in lateral drills yet looks quick in slide kicks. supposedly has strong anchor yet got blownup in ncaa playoff . big Alabama tackles are busts too often, but hes no stiff   it will take big balls to pick him

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hate that they spread the draft over three days getting R1 and R2 on the same night was awesome

Die-hards generally loathe the new Thursday/Friday/Saturday Draft, and loved the Saturday/Sunday way.

But TV ratings and returns seem to show the new way is "more popular", so /shrug.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

That would bring back a 3rd, which I would be 100% in favor of.

Raiders aren’t trading up .  They are picking an offense lineman or cb at thirteen.   I think more likely they trade back, than trade up.  

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hate that they spread the draft over three days getting R1 and R2 on the same night was awesome

I do think the break it helped JD in getting his head straight to make the trade up to select Breece. Would he had the mental acuity to pull that off in 10-15 minutes vs. reviewing his board & sleeping on it?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

I do think the break it helped JD in getting his head straight to make the trade up to select Breece. Would he had the mental acuity to pull that off in 10-15 minutes vs. reviewing his board & sleeping on it?

You raise an interesting point though.  Here he picked a rb early round 2, the guy is a star.  Rb is not considered a premiere position.  Would he do it again with bowers and say look I’m getting another star. 

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

You raise an interesting point though.  Here he picked a rb early round 2, the guy is a star.  Rb is not considered a premiere position.  Would he do it again with bowers and say look I’m getting another star. 

After he picks 3 studs in the 1st rd. I’m sure he’d be open to Bowers in the 2nd 😁

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Big difference between taking that gamble with the #10 pick and the players that might be available besides Bowers with no 2nd rounder vs doing it on day 2 at the top of the 2nd round after you already made 3 first round picks.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Larz said:

Time for my annual rant about this but

remember when we got the draft, the masters and the Kentucky Derby on the same weekend?

Draft was 3 rounds on Saturday and 4 on Sunday right ?   We were kings. 

Belter Loader!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

It could be if the tackle they take stinks but you can say that about whomever they take. All things being equal, tackle is a premium position, and if you get good player there, you can lock up the spot for a decade plus because lineman play well into there 30s at a high level. 

You can't lock up sh*t for a decade plus without paying for it.  Brick and Mangold were nice, but the fact they were here for a decade didn't mean sh*t.  They came on board in 2006.  1st round contracts are 5 years.  Then you have to pay them.  I know everybody says Tannebaum can't draft and Rex went over the top, but there is a pretty big correlation with the team sucking and handing them both $50M extensions.  I don't give a **** what the player does for a decade.  I want my 4-5 years worth.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

On Breece specifically, Douglas almost came back into R1 for him, so he probably had that deal in hand before close of business on day one.

IMG_5084.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Harbaugh is, after that yada yada spiel, taking a WR at 5.  Either Odunze or Nabers, probably Nabers since he has the ability to stretch the field more. Lets not forget, the Chargers best two WR's, Allen and Williams, are no longer on their team and Quenton Johnson has been a huge bust to this point.  The OL in this draft is ridiculously deep. However, there are 8 tackles that could easily go in round 1, but still leaving three good prospects in Rosengarten, Morgan and Armedgie. Any of these 3 would be there for Harbaugh in round 2. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

On Breece specifically, Douglas almost came back into R1 for him, so he probably had that deal in hand before close of business on day one.

IMG_5084.jpeg

In hindsight, Breece goes top 15 in that draft.  What an amazing talent. HE was on his way to easily winning Rookie of the Year and dare I say, MVP.     

• Upvote 3

Who would you make a play for with a 5th?

Who's the odd-man out in Houston's wide receiver room?

Stefon Diggs
Nico Collins
Tank Dell
Robert Woods
John Metchie III
Noah Brown

A team needing a WR3 might want to call about Metchie or Brown unless Woods is on the way out (would save $4.75M as a post-June 1 cut)

— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) April 3, 2024

5 hours ago, jamesr said:

And that was with a knucklehead OC who didn't realise he was a threat in the passing game. :D  

And a knuckler knucklehead QB that caused defenses to load up front against our offense. But Breeeeeeeeeeece is da man and still had a very productive season.  If Rodgers stays healthy, this offense will flourish and be dynamic through Breece. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

In retrospect, trading into the first would’ve been the better idea with Breece; get the 5th year option before tagging him the following year. 

Bowers isn’t Breece, though. And pick #10 is a lot different than pick #31 or #34 where he was taken. Breece is a larger than average RB who came with a 9.96 RAS score and plenty of college production. RB is certainly a lower valued position but, if we’re talking about starting production, you can and will reasonably expect the RB to out-produce the TE each and every year. As a rookie, Breece had 681 total yards and 5 TDs in just seven games with two starts. That’s probably a fair expectation for a rookie TE‘s production over 17 games (it’s better than Kincaid’s rookie production). Last year Breece had 76 catches for 591 yards and 4 TDs receiving alone! Again, probably more than you’d expect from a rookie TE, and Breece was kind enough to add nearly 1000 yards rushing. 

There’s no comparison. 

Seems to me this is really two conversations re: Bowers

1. The traditional value of TE and historical success of TE

2. The grade on Bowers

if the Jets evaluation says that with confidence he will be a Kelcie type player than you take him. But you have to have like zero doubt. Personally I think there is enough little things to prevent selecting him at 10, but Bowers is ranked in the Top 10 on every draft board I have seen, and he is almost guaranteed to be there at 10. If all 3 WR are gone I can definitely see them taking him.

Then again I would not be as shocked as many to see them select Penix either if he is there.

From his interview I think JD is targeting a very specific player (one that Saleh is not 100% behind)

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You can't lock up sh*t for a decade plus without paying for it.  Brick and Mangold were nice, but the fact they were here for a decade didn't mean sh*t.  They came on board in 2006.  1st round contracts are 5 years.  Then you have to pay them.  I know everybody says Tannebaum can't draft and Rex went over the top, but there is a pretty big correlation with the team sucking and handing them both $50M extensions.  I don't give a **** what the player does for a decade.  I want my 4-5 years worth.

I think the problem with Tanny was that he traded up seemingly all the time, leaving himself with very few draft picks.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_5084.jpeg

IIRC, JD wanted to take Breece in the 1st round to get the extra year on the contract.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think the problem with Tanny was that he traded up seemingly all the time, leaving himself with very few draft picks.

Believed in quality over quantity, which I'm not against, but his quality weren't very qualified. 

• Upvote 1