Earthquake in NJ?

Anyone in the area feel that a few minutes ago?

That was weird. I thought it was something from Earle Navy Base nearby but talked to others not near here and they felt it to.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

That was just a baby quake.  4.8 near Lebanon, NJ.  About 1 kilometer deep.  

4.8 is actually significant. That is strong enough to make things fall over. I don't  think it was that string in Queens. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

4.8 is actually significant. That is strong enough to make things fall over. I don't  think it was that string in Queens. 

4.8 significant for this part of the North American plate, but a baby compared to what has/could occur in the New Madrid seismic zone or west coast subduction zone. 

• Upvote 3

4.8 significant for this part of the North American plate, but a baby compared to what has/could occur in the New Madrid seismic zone or west coast subduction zone. 

Well if you are going to compare it to quakes that destroy roadways, sure but this wasn't  a little Tremor. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Well if you are going to compare it to quakes that destroy roadways, sure but this wasn't  a little Tremor. 

The crust here is regular, so earthquake energy travels pretty far without losing it's gusto.  That is why tiny quakes here seem like bigger ones.  The energy released at the epicenter was still minor as far as quakes go.  4.8 is a ground fart. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

True, and it's just another reminder to me, like this once in a lifetime eclipse that will be passing over my head in 3 days, of where my focus should be...  and it aint on my favorite team the NY Jets!

• Upvote 1

4.8 epicenter in the Tewksberry area.  My house shook and rumbled for like 10 seconds. I could see the walls and my deck shaking.  Never felt anything quite like that. Had no idea what it was.  I thought all the wet soil made a large tree fall on my house and it felt like it was slowly rolling off the roof.  Ran outside, but nothing. 

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It was significant.  At Morristown Hosp, the walls were shaking. My daughter was working on a case there. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

4.8 epicenter in the Tewksberry area.  My house shook and rumbled for like 10 seconds. I could see the walls and my deck shaking.  Never felt anything quite like that. Had no idea what it was.  I thought all the wet soil made a large tree fall on my house and it felt like it was slowly rolling off the roof.  Ran outside, but nothing. 

Everyone in the office I work in vacated.  They are back in now and still yapping about it.  So long as no injuries or tax money sucking damage, it was exhilarating experience.   I liked it.  Right up there with experiencing thunder that is directly above you.  The crackle that sounds like wood splitting can be heard before the massive boom.  Exhilarating. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone in the office I work in vacated.  They are back in now and still yapping about it.  So long as no injuries or tax money sucking damage, it was exhilarating experience.   I liked it.  Right up there with experiencing thunder that is directly above you.  The crackle that sounds like wood splitting can be heard before the massive boom.  Exhilarating. 

Yep.  2 things surprised me.  The sound.  Deep rumble... like a great subwoofer.  The duration.  Must have been more than 10 seconds... I'm like..  this is not stopping...  WTF?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Yep.  2 things surprised me.  The sound.  Deep rumble... like a great subwoofer.  The duration.  Must have been more than 10 seconds... I'm like..  this is not stopping...  WTF?

Powerful stuff... Makes me think back to the time I experienced a twister.  You can feel the drastic changes in air pressure. And, the sound.  The closest thing I can compare it to is standing close by the tracks when a freight train is passing.  Quakes, twisters, freak waves.  When the Earth dances, gotta hope you are someplace else.  

• Upvote 2