Earthquake in NJ?

2 hours ago, Larz said:

so the internet told me that the eastern plates are hundreds of millions of years older than the western plates and are super dense which is why the impacts are felt so far away. Pretty wild 

That's ridiculous. I've been married 14 years, so my plates aren't nearly that old.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Did you feel it driving, or do you not really notice it if you're not in a shaking building? 

In a big one, I've been told it feels like a flat tire. 

Biggest one I've ever been in - or want to be - was a 6.0 in Athens Greece in 1999. I was walking down a big avenue in the middle of the city, looking far ahead of me, and it seemed like the horizon jumped. All the traffic stopped on a big avenue, and people started streaming out of office buildings to join the people in the middle of street who had stopped their cars and gotten out. Some bricks and pieces of weak building facades fell onto the sidewalks.

More scary were a few of the 5.x range aftershocks. With one of them, I was inside my cousin's apartment, sitting in a wooden chair on a smooth marble floor, and the chair started skipping across the room, with me in it. The cats were googly eyed and trying to grip into the floor with their claws. Scared the beejeebers out of me. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

We felt it in Syracuse. I saw my bottle of water start jiggling at the desk. Yep, it's just a typical earthquake in NY 3 days before the eclipse. No biggie. LoL

Ha - that Midlothian VA earthquake people are remembering here was felt in VT, August 23rd 2011, just before Irene hit VT on August 30th. Coincidence? I think not!! 

I'm going home to update my will.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Anyone in the area feel that a few minutes ago?

That was weird. I thought it was something from Earle Navy Base nearby but talked to others not near here and they felt it to.

I thought that it was Mekih Becton moving out.

32 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Felt it here on Eastern LI. The house shook for a good 10 seconds. My wife lived in CA for a few years when she was a kid. She's been laughing at us all for making such a big deal of this.

I hope this isn't a regular thing for NY.  It would be horrific if there were a big earthquake in NYC.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetfan40yrs said:

Since you're bringing up the subject, here is a reliable word:

Hebrews 12:25-28 "See that you do not refuse Him who speaks. For if they did not escape who refused him who spoke on earth, much more shall we not escape if we turn away from Him who speaks from heaven,

whose voice then shook the earth, but now He has promised, saying, 'Yet once more I shake not only the earth, but also heaven.'

Now this 'Yet once more' indicates the removal of those things that are being shaken, as of things that are made, that the things which cannot be shaken may remain.

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear."

and this is why people dont got to church. and i thought the bible was confusing...

this is like a paraody....

he who shall not be named shall not be spoken too if he is named for if he does not speak then he can not be named....

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, THE BARON said:

That was just a baby quake.  4.8 near Lebanon, NJ.  About 1 kilometer deep.  

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

4.8 epicenter in the Tewksberry area.  My house shook and rumbled for like 10 seconds. I could see the walls and my deck shaking.  Never felt anything quite like that. Had no idea what it was.  I thought all the wet soil made a large tree fall on my house and it felt like it was slowly rolling off the roof.  Ran outside, but nothing. 

I’m right in Tewksbury. The sound was the scariest part. It really felt like being on top of a freight train. Scariest thing I’ve ever felt 

• Sympathy 3

8 minutes ago, Xtina said:

I’m right in Tewksbury. The sound was the scariest part. It really felt like being on top of a freight train. Scariest thing I’ve ever felt 

Wow that's crazy.  Hope you and your loved ones are okay.  How long did the quake last for you?  Any major damage?

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wow that's crazy.  Hope you and your loved ones are okay.  How long did the quake last for you?  Any major damage?

Surprisingly no damage that we can see. There’s a sketchy sunroom on skinny posts most at risk, which doesn’t seem to be affected. Just things falling off shelves walls and windowsills. No one is hurt. Thanks!

ETA: it felt long, it was probably shorter than it felt. I would guess 20 seconds? I knew it was an earthquake because 2-3 weeks ago people reported “explosions” here which they confirmed the next day was an earthquake in the 2.x range. This definitely sounded like explosions and my husband went down to the basement when it was over to check that the boiler hadn’t exploded. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Xtina said:

Surprisingly no damage that we can see. There’s a sketchy sunroom on skinny posts most at risk, which doesn’t seem to be affected. Just things falling off shelves walls and windowsills. No one is hurt. Thanks!

Talk about a great forum poster!  Sneaking in the term "skinny post" while talking about an earthquake.

The bar has been raised!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, doitny said:

and this is why people dont got to church. and i thought the bible was confusing...

he who shall not be named shall not be spoken too if he is named for if he does not speak then he can not be named....

It makes sense if you don't think....

No, comment end/

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, doitny said:

Very Abbott and Costello-ish

51 minutes ago, doitny said:

I'm genuinely really sorry you see that posting as parody as I assure you it's original intent, which is still true today, was a reminder to all people to avoid missing the gift  that was being offered... I  personally think it was a very fitting thing to post given it's clear mention of similar earth shaking events that happened today linking the post it was in response to of the end of the world reference. 

And with all the people here responding that they were shaken from all around the tri state area I'm kind of disappointed that I was not shaken here in upstate NY. However, the total solar eclipse will be passing directly over my head on Monday so I guess I'm guaranteed to be front row in that rare heavenly event which hinges on a very rare perfect alignment of precise placement and distancing of two vastly different sized objects in our universe which both work in tandem and are both vital to our very existence. Mess with that placement, distancing or sizing and we're not having this conversation, nor would anyone be viewing this event...

It's estimated that over 300,000 people will be traveling to my area to view this rare occurrence though sadly there are many who will never ever contemplate what put that all in play... hence I leave this as a reminder, like the original poster, which is all coming from a good place.  

• WTF? 1

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I hope this isn't a regular thing for NY.  It would be horrific if there were a big earthquake in NYC.

I don't want to say impossible, but it is very much improbable that there will ever be an earthquake larger than 5.3 on the Richter Scale in the NY/NJ area.  We are right in the middle of the North American plate.  That plate is regular and stable.  The large quakes occur where the plates move against each other, or near key geological areas like the New Madrid area which is inside of the North American plate.  Most everyone knows about plate movements and the large super continents that existed at different points in the Earth's geological history, but not too many know that north America tried to split up into different land masses during the breakup of the super continent Rodina about 700-600 million years ago.  That failed geological action caused some screwy crustal conditions including New Madrid.  That area and possible others near the midcontinental rift are the only areas inside the North Americal plate that can cause larger, more dangerous quakes up to 7-8 on the Richter scale.  Especially the afore mentioned New Madrid.  So... We are safe here in NJ.

tectonic-plates--812085686-6fa6768e183f48089901c347962241ff.webp

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I don't want to say impossible, but it is very much improbable that there will ever be an earthquake larger than 5.3 on the Richter Scale in the NY/NJ area.  We are right in the middle of the North American plate.  That plate is regular and stable.  The large quakes occur where the plates move against each other, or near key geological areas like the New Madrid area which is inside of the North American plate.  Most everyone knows about plate movements and the large super continents that existed at different points in the Earth's geological history, but not too many know that north America tried to split up into different land masses during the breakup of the super continent Rodina about 700-600 million years ago.  That failed geological action caused some screwy crustal conditions including New Madrid.  That area and possible others near the midcontinental rift are the only areas inside the North Americal plate that can cause larger, more dangerous quakes up to 7-8 on the Richter scale.  Especially the afore mentioned New Madrid.  So... We are safe here in NJ.

image.jpeg

Good Info!   Just noticed from that map that the path of the total eclipse on Monday will pass right over the New Madrid Extreme Red section though that's probably just a coincidence... It's almost like we're being nudged or shaken, like today, to take notice! 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

image.jpeg

^^ The man knows his tectonic plates!

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

For us in Los Angeles 4.8 is like eating breakfast in a diner on an uneven table .

On the other hsnd it was very cold today 52, I don't know how people get our of the house when it's this cold

That's subduction along the ring of fire for you.  

image.jpeg