Trading wayyyy down

When I posed the question of trading back and who was available, I was kinda looking at trade options.  I looked at Carolina, 33, 39, & 65.  That equates to a little more than 1300 points which is the equivalent of pick 10.

I questioned if Carolina would even be interested due to the holes they need to fill.

Anyway, Take pick 39 and our 111 and move back up into top 30, or even add in 72 and get into top 20.

We would still have 33, 65 if top 20 and 33,65, 72 into top 30.

Like I said, would Carolina do it for 1 player?

That being said, I'd be on board depending on other offers and whose available.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Would you do it?

Picking between 10-15 got kind of boring so for the hell of it I accepted a trade offer from Washington in a mock today that had me give up pick 10 in exchange for picks 36, 40 and 78.

With those 3 picks I came away with:

Ladd McConkey

Patrick Paul

McKinnley Jackson 

I think I'd prefer that over any one player I could get at 10.

How far down would you drop from 10 if it got you multiple picks in the top 75-100?

Every time i trade down to the end of rd 1 i always feel i do well and i mock draft 100s of time per month

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Would you do it?

Picking between 10-15 got kind of boring so for the hell of it I accepted a trade offer from Washington in a mock today that had me give up pick 10 in exchange for picks 36, 40 and 78.

Ladd McConkey

Patrick Paul

McKinnley Jackson 

How far down would you drop from 10 if it got you multiple picks in the top 75-100?

Patrick Paul all the way. Easy.

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Every time i trade down to the end of rd 1 i always feel i do well and i mock draft 100s of time per month

When you have a class like this that is universally viewed as insanely deep at WR and OT, you can get a starter at each position in the top 50.  McConkey and Paul would be a great pair of picks IMO.  Then you add to that a starting caliber safety or stud DT to put next to Quinnen and it'd be worth considering for sure.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Didn’t someone determine that there are only 18 first round grades in this class?

Whoever that was, I’m choosing to believe them.

I don't worry about first round grades as much as I worry about quality starters.  If you believe you can get 3 quality starters vs 1 guy with a first round grade, I'm taking the 3 starters.  Especially when we're talking about this class with the number of WR's and OT's there are to be had.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'd go as far as 20-25 maybe, there will still be possible really  good ot prospects and wrs prospects there.  Go any lower than that and you are firmly in 3rd tier ots and wrs.

Respectfully disagree.  There are 15-20 very good WR options in this class.  In that range you can still get  a good day 1 starter.  Xavier Leggette, Ricky Pearsall, Ladd McConkey, Tez Walker types will still be there.  As a compliment to Wilson there'd be nothing wrong with any of those guys IMO.

Grabbing an OT in that range is also a possibility given the number of good ones in this class.  I'd take Patrick Paul there in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Respectfully disagree.  There are 15-20 very good WR options in this class.  In that range you can still get  a good day 1 starter.  Xavier Leggette, Ricky Pearsall, Ladd McConkey, Tez Walker types will still be there.  As a compliment to Wilson there'd be nothing wrong with any of those guys IMO.

Grabbing an OT in that range is also a possibility given the number of good ones in this class.  I'd take Patrick Paul there in a heartbeat.

WR is deep, there are still tiers and the guys you listed are in tier three.

If you are happy the third tier wrs and ots and feel numbers are more important than higher end talent fine.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

WR is deep, there are still tiers and the guys you listed are in tier three.

If you are happy the third tier wrs and ots and feel numbers are more important than higher end talent fine.

Who determines the tiers?  Whose tiers are we going by?  

I'd place Leggette and McConkey firmly at the top tier two with the potential to produce like tier 1 when all is said and done.  How many guys are better than them?

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

When you have a class like this that is universally viewed as insanely deep at WR and OT, you can get a starter at each position in the top 50.  McConkey and Paul would be a great pair of picks IMO.  Then you add to that a starting caliber safety or stud DT to put next to Quinnen and it'd be worth considering for sure.

In the miserable history of the franchise neither a 2nd rd WR nor a 1st rd TE has ever worked out for the Jets.   I don’t understand why I see so many advocates for tempting fate. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

Would you do it?

Ladd McConkey

Patrick Paul

McKinnley Jackson 

We gave up 3 second rd picks to move from 6 to 3.

Im not opposed to moving down but not that far for that little.

Only problem with trading down (which I agree with) is the guys we get after trading down will forever be compared to the entire draft.

Say some other team drafts a superstar in the 4th round. Our fans for the rest of time will be like "We coulda had player X with the 10th overall pick, but noooo, we traded down".

13 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I dont understand McConkey love from people scared of Bowers

Big difference between drafting Bowers at 10 and McConkey at the end of the 1st round after picking up additional picks.

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

In the miserable history of the franchise neither a 2nd rd WR nor a 1st rd TE has ever worked out for the Jets.   I don’t understand why I see so many advocates for tempting fate. 

You can't build your draft board based on something that happened back in the 80's.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

This 1998 article in The New York Times, published before a Jets-Rams game, breaks down the deal in further detail. The Jets decided to not draft Pace and instead get a bounty of players that ended up being: LB James Farrior, WR Dedric Ward, RB Leon Johnson, DT Jason Ferguson, DE Terry Day, QB Chuck Clements, and TE Lawrence Hart.

Farrior lasted what, 4 years?

IMG_8802.jpeg