Zach traded to Denver [merged]

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Lam Jones gives them a run for their money. Consider:

- Jones was taken in the very same number 2 slot as Wilson, BUT the Jets expended the number 13 and number 20 overall pick in order to move up to that number 2 slot.

-Jones was the very FIRST NFL player to be given a salary over 1  million dollars.

-After starting 13 games his rookie year (totaling only 25 receptions for almost 500 yards), Jones only started 23 games over his next 4 years.

I could very easily argue that Lam Jones IS the greatest bust in Jet draft history. But, really, what we are doing here is quibbling over the ugliest pig in the stable at the farm.

You recognize that every team makes mistakes, and you move on from your mistakes. That is what the Jets are doing here.

Don't forget Blair Thomas .

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Would it be bad if Payton turns him into a top 10 qb and he wins a SB? Or would that be good? 

It would definetely up the ante on Payton trollling Hackett.

57 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

the problem is he never got vaccinated, had he been vaccinated he would be fine

Seems like more an issue for you than most of the rest of us.  You keep bringing it up when no one else does.

All I care about is does he last more than 4 plays this time, does he earn his massive paycheck, does he win us games.

The rest of his off-field stuff, being a egomaniacal hippie druggie space cadet drama queen, irrelevant really if he's playing well.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I’m not saying that the offensive line was good last year. What I’m saying is:

1. Yes; Duane Brown is being extremely generous.

2. Duane Brown being generous does not erase the fact that Garrett Wilson was wide open for a full 2 seconds on the play that Rodgers was hurt, so blaming the offensive line for the injury is silly.  He held the ball too long.  Tom Brady extended his career by almost always running the play as it was designed, finding the open man, and most importantly, going down safely when a free rusher was breathing down his neck.

There's the difference between Brady and Rodgers.

You're right, Brady ran the play as designed.  

What made Rodgers really special was his ability to play outside the pocket and make thing happen.  We're not going to get that Rodgers.  We're going to get a 41 year middle of the road pocket passer with heavy feet.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There's the difference between Brady and Rodgers.

You're right, Brady ran the play as designed.  

What made Rodgers really special was his ability to play outside the pocket and make thing happen.  We're not going to get that Rodgers.  We're going to get a 41 year middle of the road pocket passer with heavy feet.

Penix at 10 pls

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

My point was, if you correctly read the post I responded to, was that Zack was not "the biggest bust in team history" . There were other worse ones. 

That is categorically false.

There have been a long line of horrific jets busts but the only 2 that are even in Zach Wilson’s league of bustitude are Vernon Gholston and Ken O’Brien.  Gholston was horrible and never played.  O’Brien only in the conversation because we drafted him over Dan Marino.  O’Brien was actually a good player for a short amount of time and definitely a way better player than Dutch Boy

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Seems like more an issue for you than most of the rest of us.  You keep bringing it up when no one else does.

All I care about is does he last more than 4 plays this time, does he earn his massive paycheck, does he win us games.

The rest of his off-field stuff, being a egomaniacal hippie druggie space cadet drama queen, irrelevant really if he's playing well.  

It’s a huge issue for me, I find it un-American to not get jabbed in the nuts every time cnn tells me to do it, the rest is irrelevant 

11 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

It’s a huge issue for me, I find it un-American to not get jabbed in the nuts every time cnn tells me to do it, the rest is irrelevant 

No one here cares about your politics Frank.  

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Geno Smith's primary issue was immaturity, which it took him many years to work through.  The Giants and Chargers dispatched him and even the Seahawks "hedged" when they had him compete with Drew Lock for their job post-Russell Wilson.  

It took him 9.5 years to become an average NFL starter on his 4th team.  But I'm sure some here love to use him as the posterchild for why the Jets' biggest issue over the decades is talent development rather than evaluation.

well... I dont blame the Jets here. I agree with your post. Point is... he isn't in Zach's league of suckness.

22 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Are you trying to tell me that you’re not interested in discussing the draft this weekend? Because that’s all I’m getting from this post. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Alka said:

Joe Klecko was a 6th round draft choice, and so was Tom Brady.   You never know.

Yep, of course Joe Klecko was a 6th round pick back when the draft used to have a lot more rounds and there were fewer teams.  Still, your point remains, that very good players can sometimes be found and developed in the 6th round.

21 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Yes… the difference between pick 177 and 188 can be the Super Bowl.  JD is legend. 

I have little confidence in JD any more, but he did have an all-time great draft in 2022.  Even a blind squirrel can find a nut.  Maybe we get lucky and get a good parting gift from him.  I'm torn between wanting the Jets to suck this season to ensure that both JD and Saleh are fired, and wanting them to have a great season to reward all of us long-suffering Jets fans.

21 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Man up and explain how any of this ^ is wrong @JKlecko

The drama-fest is due to Social Media and many Jets fans being impatient and a bunch of drama queens.  You must not have been a Jets fan for more than 5 minutes.  If you've been a fan for nearly 60 years like I have, then you'd know that they've had many, many busts, a number of whom were never even good enough to make it on the field or even out of training camp.

At least Zach has lots of physical talent and showed a few flashes.  He never had a chance to succeed with the Jets.  JD and Saleh couldn't have possibly done things any more wrong than they did in drafting and trying to develop a rookie QB.  To refresh your memory of Jets busts, I suggest that you take a look at the Jets draft history here:   https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/draft.htm

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Did anyone else wake up this morning and feel better?

the suns shining, the flowers are blooming 

I wonder what's different today? 

Happy Good Vibes GIF by Major League Soccer

I peed without help

that is a great day

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

That is categorically false.

There have been a long line of horrific jets busts but the only 2 that are even in Zach Wilson’s league of bustitude are Vernon Gholston and Ken O’Brien.  Gholston was horrible and never played.  O’Brien only in the conversation because we drafted him over Dan Marino.  O’Brien was actually a good player for a short amount of time and definitely a way better player than Dutch Boy

Ken O'Brien is nowhere even close to a "bust". The Jets were never, never going to draft Marino because 

1. His knee. They were still averse to chronic knee problems because of Namath.

2. The drug rumors.  They were real, and the Jets shied away from those players for many years (see Warren Sapp).

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2024 at 4:10 PM, bitonti said:

That doesn't excuse the pick 

It's up to the GM to say "hey wait a minute yes I need a qb but this isn't the solution" and make another pick instead 

There's this prevailing logic that the Jets HAD to pick Zach. They didn't. In fact if the rumors are to be believed Saleh and other coaches wanted to keep Sam 

Hindsight is 20/20. 

40 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Ken O'Brien is nowhere even close to a "bust". The Jets were never, never going to draft Marino because 

2. The drug rumors.  They were real, and the Jets shied away from those players for many years (see Warren Sapp).

"Everybody said if Marino was gonna be around at that time, they would take Marino . . . Obviously, the Jets know something that the people up here don't" 

• Haha 2

On 4/22/2024 at 3:47 PM, bitonti said:

Justin fields is a conditional 2025 that could be a 5th so that's very rich compared to what the Jets got for Zach 

Mac Jones is a similar comparison to the Zach deal but the jags did not ask the pats to pay half Mac Jones salary 

But because Zach is making more than Matt it turns out that NE unloaded less than $35k more in salary than did the Jets. The real difference, such as it is, is pick 193 versus pick, say 206 or 207, after factoring in that we gave up pick 256. But bottom line is that Zach is no more of a pariah than Matt. The Fields trade is harder to draw a comparison with because the pick--maybe a sixth, maybe a fourth next year--is conditional.

30 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Don't forget Marino's senior year he had 17 TDs and 22 INTs.

• Upvote 1