How the mighty have fallen. Meckhi Becton still looking for a team.

Meckhi Becton is still a free agent, with no takers that I am aware of.  The Jets, who could use a solid backup at tackle, has apparently shown no interest in bringing Becton back.  At this point, Becton would probably need to sign with a team on a 1 year "prove it" type of contract.

Unless the Jets sign someone else, right now, we have Max Mitchell and Carter Warren as our tackle backups.

So, why won't the Jets bring Becton back on a 1 year deal?

Looking at Becton's stats for the 2023 season, I think you get a good idea of why not.  Through 16 games, Becton was flagged for a team high 16 penalties, and gave up a team high 12 sacks.

And this is on a year where you want to play your best, to get that next contract.  

I don't know about you, but I would not take the risk of bringing back Becton, only to give up multiple sacks that could end up crippling Aaron Rodgers.

How the mighty have fallen.  As Becton has called himself as a joke in the past, "Big Bust", I don't think anyone at this point is laughing.

• Upvote 2

Becton thought it was parody, turns out it was premonition!

Easily my least favorite pick of the last decade, and that's saying something. Especially with Wirfs right there to help tb12 get another ring. I have a video my brother took of us absolutely miserable after this pick, if you ever see it go viral you'll know me.

Screenshot_20240424_140621_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Alka said:

Meckhi Becton is still a free agent, with no takers that I am aware of.  The Jets, who could use a solid backup at tackle, has apparently shown no interest in bringing Becton back.  At this point, Becton would probably need to sign with a team on a 1 year "prove it" type of contract.

Unless the Jets sign someone else, right now, we have Max Mitchell and Carter Warren as our tackle backups.

Looking at Becton's stats for the 2023 season, I think you get a good idea of why not.  Through 16 games, Becton was flagged for a team high 16 penalties, and gave up a team high 12 sacks.

And this is on a year where you want to play your best, to get that next contract.  

I don't know about you, but I would not take the risk of bringing back Becton, only to give up multiple sacks that could end up crippling Aaron Rodgers.

How the mighty have fallen.  As Becton has called himself as a joke in the past, "Big Bust", I don't think anyone at this point is laughing.

Becton was arguably the worst LT in the league last year. Big No Thanks.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Beaver said:

Eh....he will sign somewhere after the draft.     Right now he would be a quality backup.

Yes, he might get a 1 year prove it deal after the draft, but he is no way a quality backup.  He just turned 25 years old, and he led the Jets with 16 flagged penalties and 12 sacks.  How you can call that a quality backup, is a mystery to me.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, Alka said:

Nothing hurt Becton more than coming out and publicly blaming the Jets for his injury..  I said at the time the he should have fired whoever allowed that interview to happen.  Dude was about to play football for the first time in two years and he comes out and says "I told the team I was hurting and they ignored me".

He basically came out and accused the Jets of malpractice.  I believe what I said at the time was that his interview sounded like a statement he'd make before filing a grievance against the team.

Guarantee multiple teams saw that and decided he wouldn't be a target in FA no matter how he played.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

There were more Becton supporters then Zach supporters round these parts and among the online jets guys, they have all gone strangely silent.

I think I was more hopeful than anything else.  After his 2 devastating injuries, I said that Becton will never again be the same player that the Jets drafted.  He would have a "new normal", which would never be the same as his rookie year.

IMHO, if he never got injured, he would still be on the Jets today.  But, last season, he seemed to be skating through the season, and lacked the tenacity and ability to rise up to be his best.  That to me, was ultimately his undoing.

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Here's a post I made about Becton pre combine 4 years ago 

Becton at 11 scares the crap out of my poo hole. He's 370?! The only player near that weight is Trent brown and he went in Rd 7. All these other comps like Orlando brown or Marcus McNeill are like 30 pounds lighter. I like Becton at 340 or at 3rd Rd prices like Orlando brown (whose dad was in the NFL btw). But his weight is probably always going to be an issue and it's questionable whether a player of this size can block the von miller's or Brandon Graham of the world

“poo hole” 😂

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There were more Becton supporters then Zach supporters round these parts and among the online jets guys, they have all gone strangely silent.

When Rodgers took it upon himself to talk and to encourage Becton last year I admit I became one of those supporters, based on his rookie year potential and before his knee injuries. 

At this point he's an emergency backup, though if he's not motivated in that role, as the consensus would expect, he'll sadly probably regress even further until he grows out of his Big Bust T shirts. 

Maybe, Rodgers can talk....never mind, time to move on 

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Here's a post I made about Becton pre combine 4 years ago 

Becton at 11 scares the crap out of my poo hole. He's 370?! The only player near that weight is Trent brown and he went in Rd 7. All these other comps like Orlando brown or Marcus McNeill are like 30 pounds lighter. I like Becton at 340 or at 3rd Rd prices like Orlando brown (who's dad was in the NFL btw). But his weight is probably always going to be an issue and it's questionable whether a player of this size can block the von miller's or Brandon Graham of the world

Becton's playing and injury history needs no documenting here, but...

Isn't Jordan Mailata that same weight?

Orlando Brown played at 365-ish in both Baltimore and KC until losing 20 pounds in 2023. 

It's a factor that he's also so tall. Like, Sewell is about 340 but he's also a solid 2" shorter, so proportionally they're not that different, but it's unrealistic to expect him to be as nimble as a 320-330 pound LT in that same 6'6" height range.

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Nothing hurt Becton more than coming out and publicly blaming the Jets for his injury..  I said at the time the he should have fired whoever allowed that interview to happen.  Dude was about to play football for the first time in two years and he comes out and says "I told the team I was hurting and they ignored me".

He basically came out and accused the Jets of malpractice.  I believe what I said at the time was that his interview sounded like a statement he'd make before filing a grievance against the team.

Guarantee multiple teams saw that and decided he wouldn't be a target in FA no matter how he played.

Which is also why the Jets would never bring him back… it’s a broken relationship at this point.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This. 

Becton is one of the dumbest/most immature players I've ever witnessed. 

In addition to this some other "antics" from the past few years: 

1) Calls out Cimini on draft night in 2022 when they didn't select an OT 

2) Wears a t-shirt calling himself a big bust b/c people were calling him fat. Proceeds to get injured for the year b/c his knee buckles - presumably in large part b/c of his mass. 

3) Goes on social media to sh*t on his offensive line coach a few months before he is about to become a free agent 

4) Tweets I am a left tackle before last year when Duane Brown was locked into the LT spot and he ends up playing RT to start the season anyway

All this sh*t plus the newspaper article blaming his coaches. Plus he is among the most penalized players in the NFL. Who wants to deal with a guy like that on top of his reputation for being lazy/undisciplined? 

Penei Sewell just signed a deal that will pay him close to $30mm per year. Now Becton wasn't in Penei Sewell's class but if he was able to maintain his level of play from his rookie year he likely would have gotten at least a Jawaan Taylor deal (4 years $80mm - $60mm guaranteed) - probably more to be honest as his play was better. 

Now? He is likely going to get a few million bucks on a prove it deal and if he gets hurt or sucks again he is looking like a guy who could be out of the league in a year or two. 

FWIW I think Douglas actually properly evaluated the talent. I hate Becton but anyone saying he wasn't a talent in 2020 is lying. But wow did he miss on the personality. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Becton's playing and injury history needs no documenting here, but...

Isn't Jordan Mailata that same weight?

Orlando Brown played at 365-ish in both Baltimore and KC until losing 20 pounds in 2023. 

It's a factor that he's also so tall. Like, Sewell is about 340 but he's also a solid 2" shorter, so proportionally they're not that different, but it's unrealistic to expect him to be as nimble as a 320-330 pound LT in that same 6'6" height range.

Mailata is closer to 340 and again we're talking about 7th Rd prices 

Jc Latham lost that 20 lb for the combine but he went from 360 to 340 while Becton probably walked around 380 or 400 at times 

All the super bigs gotta lose the weight and keep it off and if that was easy for these guys they wouldn't be super bigs in the first place 

I agree on the too tall comment which is why I am not quite as high on Joe alt as everyone else 

if alt drops to 10 the Jets take him and celebrate, but I'm not seeing perennial all pro. More like a rich man mcglinchey. Which is great. This team can use a plug and play tackle. We know Tyron Smith is going to miss like a month. And never practice. That's best case. 

I could be wrong tho there was one really good 6-9 guy once named Jon Ogden. There's always a precident somewhere if you dig deep enough. 

22 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

It’s hard to play well when you were off for two years.  I bet he’s better this year if he stayed in shape.  

It'd be curious to find out if he put some of that weight back on over the course of the season. Whether he did or whether it was just his first extended action since 3 seasons prior, his performance definitely hit a wall -- half his sacks and half his penalties seem to have come in the last 5 games. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

FWIW I think Douglas actually properly evaluated the talent. I hate Becton but anyone saying he wasn't a talent in 2020 is lying. But wow did he miss on the personality. 

I can't disagree with this at all!  And personality is an important function of evaluating a player.  The Jets now have something called "a red light player" or a "red badge player", something to that effect in their draft analysis.  Every scout must come up with a player who may not be one of the best prospects, but who is maybe a great athlete, and a great person, personality, etc..  They need to identify someone in the draft who fits into that category.

• Upvote 1

Just now, bitonti said:

Mailata is closer to 340 and again we're talking about 7th Rd prices 

Jc Latham lost that 20 lb for the combine but he went from 360 to 340 while Becton probably walked around 380 or 400 at times 

All the super bigs gotta lose the weight and keep it off and if that was easy for these guys they wouldn't be super bigs in the first place 

I agree on the too tall comment which is why I am not quite as high on Joe alt as everyone else 

if alt drops to 10 the Jets take him and celebrate, but I'm not seeing perennial all pro. More like a rich man mcglinchey. Which is great. This team can use a plug and play tackle. We know Tyron Smith is going to miss like a month. And never practice. That's best case. 

I could be wrong tho there was one really good 6-9 guy once named Jon Ogden. There's always a precident somewhere if you dig deep enough. 

Once they're in the league it doesn't really matter. Mailata is the Eagles' starting LT. He's listed at 366 lbs; don't know where the 340 number comes from.

I don't even disagree that Becton would be well-served dropping and keeping off a good 20-30 pounds. But guys have played at that weight and excelled. 

Like I just said above, I do wonder if he put some of it back on as the season went on & he wasn't spending 7 days a week with his personal trainer anymore. He definitely was having a better season before they got into December, and blocking for an undisciplined pocket presence like Zach is a handicap for any lineman & leads to both sacks and holding penalties that wouldn't happen if the dropback & pass went zip-zip like with some others.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Really good post 

Becton size speed is 99 percentile but has no professional discipline. That goes for penalties, diet, social media...however you want to measure it 

There's alot of example of jd getting the football character wrong. The unmeasurables

Mims and Zach to name 2 more great athletes but unreliable humans 

The Sewell pick and extension is really a Zach story. Zach getting traded for basically nothing and Sewell getting 110 mil happened in the last few days

Because there's a universe where in 2021 jd double dips or at least realizes he needs more than just Becton to protect a young QB 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Becton over Wirfs was an example of letting perceived positional value - LT over RT - overrule common sense. Wirfs was clearly the better, and safer, prospect.

I think JD might go the other way this year and take the rock-solid RT prospect (Fuaga) over LT prospects with questions (Fashanu and his tiny hands).

I'm going to disagree slightly with this.  I don't think JD was focusing on positional value.  I think he was overfocusing on RAS score (Becton's was off the charts) vs. what's going on between the ears.  You are spot on re: Wirfs - he was always the better/safer prospect.  I hope JD has learned...

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Once they're in the league it doesn't really matter. Mailata is the Eagles' starting LT. He's listed at 366 lbs; don't know where the 340 number comes from.

When I made that post it was 2020 and Jordan mailata was just breaking out. He only started 10 games that year. But yes you're technically right there's one other dude. He weighed in 340 ish for the combine 

He's also a unique character because he was a professional player in his home country. Riding the pine in some rugby league. Which is a job.

As compared to Becton who I assume ate so much he tried to put the louisville dining services out of business 

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm going to disagree slightly with this.  I don't think JD was focusing on positional value.  I think he was overfocusing on RAS score (Becton's was off the charts) vs. what's going on between the ears.  You are spot on re: Wirfs - he was always the better/safer prospect.  I hope JD has learned...

I'm sure RAS was a big factor. Personally, I always thought that Becton was an odd choice for the Jets at that time, as Fant had only just been signed (to a big contract) to be the LT. Taking Wirfs to slot in at RT looked like a natural fit. Instead, the Jets went with Becton and moved Fant to RT, which was not where he had been expected to play when he signed.

Pair this up with the other thread about how many teams are desperate for OT this draft. 

Pre-draft there hasn't been a team desperate to sign him. Not all teams will get a starter-ready OT in the draft. After the draft, he's expecting his value to increase as the teams still in need fight over the remaining free agents. He may not be right but there's more chance he'll get at least a competitive opportunity starting next week. There will be teams willing to offer him backup contracts or short term contracts after the draft, too. No reason for him to have rushed into a less valuable contract just to have a home pre-draft.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He definitely was having a better season before they got into December,

Myles Garrett owned Becton when 77 was a rookie and he owned him again 3 years later 

I was listening to voch Lombardi and Bryan broddius (former scout, DAL beater) and they were talking about Latham being too heavy for LT. That the Alabama coaches could have switched him to the LT and chose to develop a freshman instead. All good points. The implication is a well run football team won't play guys who can function at a basic level 

Big picture yes Becton is a mess but it's the Jets organization fault for plopping a dude out there who is 380 or something. And letting him rack up double digit sacks against and penalties 

Just like it's the Jets fault Zach got 34 starts to create historically bad qb stats. Most franchises give a guy like that 10 or 20 starts before they pull the plug. Trey lance started 4 games over 2 years. 

If this rant has a point it's that Joe Douglas doesn't understand sunk cost. He doubles and triples down on really bad misses and let's these guys get abused in regular season games for years when other teams would just say hey dude you're not playing again until you lose weight 

24 minutes ago, Larz said:

Poor guy. Guess he’ll have to retire and go fishing for the rest of his life and become a sports car collector 

IMG_8898.jpeg

I wonder how much money he pissed away on heavy gold chains and other ridiculous purchases?  Hopefully, he still has 90% of his money, and has a financial advisor.

• Upvote 1