How the mighty have fallen. Meckhi Becton still looking for a team.

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He doubles and triples down on really bad misses and let's these guys get abused in regular season games for years when other teams would just say hey dude you're not playing again until you lose weight 

Isn't it Robert Saleh's decision on playing players or not?  JD brings in the players, and Saleh decides on when or if they see the field.

Of course, JD may be involved in the decision making with Saleh?

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

When I made that post it was 2020 and Jordan mailata was just breaking out. He only started 10 games that year. But yes you're technically right there's one other dude. He weighed in 340 ish for the combine 

He's also a unique character because he was a professional player in his home country. Riding the pine in some rugby league. Which is a job.

As compared to Becton who I assume ate so much he tried to put the louisville dining services out of business 

I mentioned Orlando Brown Jr, too. He was playing in that 365 range when KC traded a 1st rounder to acquire him. With Trent Brown, that’s a few (not counting Becton) starting these past few years, too. Plus some others before them, though it’s of course less common.

Really it’s a shame. It’s not like he’s just some untalented fatso.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I mentioned Orlando Brown Jr, too. He was playing in that 365 range when KC traded a 1st rounder to acquire him. With Trent Brown, that’s a few (not counting Becton) starting these past few years, too. Plus some others before them, though it’s of course less common.

Really it’s a shame. It’s not like he’s just some untalented fatso.

yes it can be done but not at 11 overall it's just too risky, for obvious (in hindsight) reasons 

Orlando 3rd rd, Trent 7th, Mailata 7th - why take this player 1.11? 

47 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Becton's playing and injury history needs no documenting here, but...

Isn't Jordan Mailata that same weight?

Orlando Brown played at 365-ish in both Baltimore and KC until losing 20 pounds in 2023. 

It's a factor that he's also so tall. Like, Sewell is about 340 but he's also a solid 2" shorter, so proportionally they're not that different, but it's unrealistic to expect him to be as nimble as a 320-330 pound LT in that same 6'6" height range.

I've seen a fair number of people call for JC Latham in this year's class even before the combine when he was listed in the 360 range.

16 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I'm sure RAS was a big factor. Personally, I always thought that Becton was an odd choice for the Jets at that time, as Fant had only just been signed (to a big contract) to be the LT. Taking Wirfs to slot in at RT looked like a natural fit. Instead, the Jets went with Becton and moved Fant to RT, which was not where he had been expected to play when he signed.

Agree. JD started off thinking he could mold high RAS guys like Becton, Mims, etc. vs. just focusing on picking the best football players.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alka said:

Isn't it Robert Saleh's decision on playing players or not?  JD brings in the players, and Saleh decides on when or if they see the field.

this is just wild speculation but I've always imagined that Saleh stays out of offensive lineup decision-making, unless it's to beg JD to let them bench Zach  

if we're being honest tho, most NFL HCs can't overrule their GM's first-round picks. which is why guys like Reid and Beli want total control 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It'd be curious to find out if he put some of that weight back on over the course of the season. Whether he did or whether it was just his first extended action since 3 seasons prior, his performance definitely hit a wall -- half his sacks and half his penalties seem to have come in the last 5 games. 

He tweeted a workout pic a few weeks ago and looked like the weight was good.

1 hour ago, usanyj said:

Sabo said on Asman that he thinks Bakhtiari is a done deal, just waiting for after the draft or closer to camp.

I said this first, and I’m just an apeman. Not an assman.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I don't hide from the fact that I supported Becton and his rookie film suggested he was going to be an all-time great.  

The revisionist historians scoff at the notion but not one of them can find film of another rookie tossing defenders around the way Becton did.

As far as going "strangely silent", how much time should we spend talking about a guy who isn't on the team anymore?

As i said, comparing to zach wilson who before during and after his tenure has 50 pages threads destroying him.

The people that thought becton was great for sure want the whole story to go away asap.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

As i said, comparing to zach wilson who before during and after his tenure has 50 pages threads destroying him.

The people that thought becton was great for sure want the whole story to go away asap.

Quarterbacks grab more headlines than tackles.  Always have, always will.

I was in favor of both picks.  Becton showed all-world ability but it's a small world smarts.

Zach played too early and didn't play well enough to hang around.  It happens.  A lot.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

There were more Becton supporters then Zach supporters round these parts and among the online jets guys, they have all gone strangely silent.

Absolutely.... the minute JD took Becton, I knew JD was a disaster.  Betting against the averages....  like Mac taking Hackenberg.   95 percent of all analysts had Becton way after Wirfs.  JD has shown he can't evaluate talent.  This board was full of Becton supporters and JD supporters. All silent now.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

When I made that post it was 2020 and Jordan mailata was just breaking out. He only started 10 games that year. But yes you're technically right there's one other dude. He weighed in 340 ish for the combine 

He's also a unique character because he was a professional player in his home country. Riding the pine in some rugby league. Which is a job.

As compared to Becton who I assume ate so much he tried to put the louisville dining services out of business 

For a current 374 lbs Mailata  has sub 20% body fat and I think I only know that after someone, I think you,  mentioned I look him up...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I wonder how much money he pissed away on heavy gold chains and other ridiculous purchases?  Hopefully, he still has 90% of his money, and has a financial advisor.

Why are you just assuming he’s stupid ?

Ahh, memories of last offseason (and every offseason before that) when you had folks shouting what idiots those of us doubting Becton were.. I mean, did you see how in-shape he was?!

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Absolutely.... the minute JD took Becton, I knew JD was a disaster.  Betting against the averages....  like Mac taking Hackenberg.   95 percent of all analysts had Becton way after Wirfs.  JD has shown he can't evaluate talent.  This board was full of Becton supporters and JD supporters. All silent now.

Uhh, they're silent because they have JD's soft appendage crammed down their throat. They still think he's great.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Here's a post I made about Becton pre combine 4 years ago 

Becton at 11 scares the crap out of my poo hole. He's 370?! The only player near that weight is Trent brown and he went in Rd 7. All these other comps like Orlando brown or Marcus McNeill are like 30 pounds lighter. I like Becton at 340 or at 3rd Rd prices like Orlando brown (who's dad was in the NFL btw). But his weight is probably always going to be an issue and it's questionable whether a player of this size can block the von miller's or Brandon Graham of the world

I essentially called him a fat, lazy guy that only "got in shape" for the big paycheck, would basically get frustrated in the NFL, and was a prime injury candidate due to his size that the Jets should avoid like the plague. Too lazy to look my posts up right now, and what do I know, anyway. I'm no professional NFL scout or anything....

• Upvote 2

Taps for a pro athlete forced at the age of 25 to buy a bass boat and a house on a lake in his native state of Virginia and raise his family in peace and quiet fishing and enjoying life. 

200.gif?cid=d9212ad9qr6u9pjjodj9oh12m657

He must be so embarrassed 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

Meckhi Becton is still a free agent, with no takers that I am aware of.  The Jets, who could use a solid backup at tackle, has apparently shown no interest in bringing Becton back.  At this point, Becton would probably need to sign with a team on a 1 year "prove it" type of contract.

Unless the Jets sign someone else, right now, we have Max Mitchell and Carter Warren as our tackle backups.

So, why won't the Jets bring Becton back on a 1 year deal?

Looking at Becton's stats for the 2023 season, I think you get a good idea of why not.  Through 16 games, Becton was flagged for a team high 16 penalties, and gave up a team high 12 sacks.

And this is on a year where you want to play your best, to get that next contract.  

I don't know about you, but I would not take the risk of bringing back Becton, only to give up multiple sacks that could end up crippling Aaron Rodgers.

How the mighty have fallen.  As Becton has called himself as a joke in the past, "Big Bust", I don't think anyone at this point is laughing.

I would just sign both Becton and Bhaktari to 1 year deals and be done with it we’re all it the next year or 2.

If they win a SB that buys them like 5 years to rebuild it in equity from the fans.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Poor guy. Guess he’ll have to retire and go fishing for the rest of his life and become a sports car collector 

IMG_8898.jpeg

He worked very hard to be 6’7. Gotta hand it to him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

He tweeted a workout pic a few weeks ago and looked like the weight was good.

A few weeks ago = months after the season ended, no?

Never mind the idea that we can definitively determine what 350 vs 360 pounds looks like on a 6’7” tall giant. 

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

I don't hide from the fact that I supported Becton and his rookie film suggested he was going to be an all-time great. 

No it didn't. He was decent, but still had red flags. He gave up 7 sacks in 14 games, not to mention he didn't even complete a few of those games. It takes more than displaying brute force, and pushing smaller players around, to make an all time great lineman

47 minutes ago, Larz said:

Why are you just assuming he’s stupid ?

I don't assume anything.  When the Jets drafted Becton, what was one of the first things he did?  He went out, and spent $175,000.00 on an enormous"Big Ticket" chain. 

Why do you assume that I assume that he is stupid?  When you assume, you make an ass out of U and me.

Becton has the same issue as just about every nfl player.  It’s all between his ears.  It didn’t help that the second year surgery didn’t work out and forced him to miss year three but it seemed pretty clear he just didn’t want to do the work to get better either.  It’s too bad.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Who cares? I supported him but am also grown up and can realize he didn't work out. I think it is easy to accept and move on..

3 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm going to disagree slightly with this.  I don't think JD was focusing on positional value.  I think he was overfocusing on RAS score (Becton's was off the charts) vs. what's going on between the ears.  You are spot on re: Wirfs - he was always the better/safer prospect.  I hope JD has learned...

I would counter-argue that you can't come up with any hard and fast rules.  It's all pretty much just specific to the player.  "The first thing Becton did was buy a chain".  Well, didn't Sauce also buy a chain?  

2 hours ago, Alka said:

image.gif.ce6cdea6bb19dd9dd7e77a57c17a98e6.gif

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I essentially called him a fat, lazy guy that only "got in shape" for the big paycheck, would basically get frustrated in the NFL, and was a prime injury candidate due to his size that the Jets should avoid like the plague. Too lazy to look my posts up right now, and what do I know, anyway. I'm no professional NFL scout or anything....

image.jpeg.300c6ff0a38adf1847ac730d4dade9da.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Alka said:

I don't assume anything.  When the Jets drafted Becton, what was one of the first things he did?  He went out, and spent $175,000.00 on an enormous"Big Ticket" chain. 

Why do you assume that I assume that he is stupid?  When you assume, you make an ass out of U and me.

As mentioned above, Sauce bought an expensive chain too.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Drums said:

Who cares? I supported him but am also grown up and can realize he didn't work out. I think it is easy to accept and move on..

LOL, just what i said again twice in this thread.  The people that were DEAD wrong always want to 'just move on'  Meanwhile we have 27 threads of 50 pages about zach wilson and his horrors.

The people here whinging about me bringing this up say nothing in the wilson threads about 'moving on and being mature'

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Ahh, memories of last offseason (and every offseason before that) when you had folks shouting what idiots those of us doubting Becton were.. I mean, did you see how in-shape he was?!

Uhh, they're silent because they have JD's soft appendage crammed down their throat. They still think he's great.

He was "walking " with heavy weights and people acted like he was ready for action.  He plays video games hours a day and has several million in the bank. Thank you JD. Thank you.  Another bust with just enough money to be lazy.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

and you got down voted like heavy rain by the kool aid drinkers.  

• Upvote 2