****The Official Day 1 of the NFL Draft Thread****

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I can't speak to the accuracy of this article but it does support a strong hunch of mine.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2022/7/13/23206891/where-was-the-average-nfl-offensive-starter-drafted-by-position

Here are the salient points:

All Offense by Rounds Drafted

OL by position

Final Thoughts

• Get your QB in the first round, because that's where you need to find him. And nothing is more important than finding him.
  • Get your LT in the first round. Until you have your QB and LT, it's probably never a bad idea to spend a 1st rounder on those two positions.
  • You can build the rest of an offensive line in the later rounds or even with UDFAs if you've got a good eye for talent.
  • Get your stud WRs in the first two (maybe three) rounds. And spend more picks on WRs, because you need tons of them and a high % of UDFAs are playing big snaps right now.
  • Don't spend 1st rounders on RBs, but don't neglect the position in the draft. Not many UDFA RBs are doing much.

So to sum up - we are probably doing it in the right order.

I think multiple swings at WR would be good, maybe possible with the three fourth round picks. Love Wilson and Williams but a little competition down the depth chart wouldn’t be a bad thing.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Your choices were pretty good. Probably better than what the teams took. 

this is what it said about Carolina. The panthers seemed content with Ickey Ekwonu and Taylor Moton at tackle. But Carolina could select a center to develop at some point in the draft, but its highly unlikely that would be in round one. Well Carolina, you had the best Center in the draft and a top 25-30 player and you took the 8-12 top wide receiver.  Just ridiculous what the NFL has become.  Its not football no more. One step away from flag football.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Football games are won in the trenches. 

The New York Jets trenches. 

Tyron Smith 

John Simpson

Tippmann

AVT

Morgan Moses

Olu Fashanu 

Warren

Schweitzer

_________

Jermaine Johnson 

JFM

Kinlaw

Quinnen

Reddick 

McDonald 

Thomas 

Fotu 

Tyron Big question mark

Simpson has improved - good pick up

Tippman Developing nicely

AVT Pro Bowl baby

Morgan Big question mark

Olu - Great pick - dude is a wall

Warren Ehhhh 

Schwieitzer ehhhh

---------------------------------

JJ on his way to stardom

JFM Might be outta here

Reddick brilliant move by JD Brilliant

McDuck This is why JD got Reddick

Thomas - stable and a leader

Fotu depth

Hopefully JD grabs another tackle in the draft and a guard and signs a vet swing OL. Tyron and Morgan really worry me. Maybe resign Becton on the cheap. Take Rosengarten, Coleman or Armedgie in round 3. 

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Tyron Big question mark

Simpson has improved - good pick up

Tippman Developing nicely

AVT Pro Bowl baby

Morgan Big question mark

Olu - Great pick - dude is a wall

Warren Ehhhh 

Schwieitzer ehhhh

---------------------------------

JJ on his way to stardom

JFM Might be outta here

Reddick brilliant move by JD Brilliant

McDuck This is why JD got Reddick

Thomas - stable and a leader

Fotu depth

Hopefully JD grabs another tackle in the draft and a guard and signs a vet swing OL. Tyron and Morgan really worry me. Maybe resign Becton on the cheap. Take Rosengarten, Coleman or Armedgie in round 3. 

I want Rosengarten. When I was looking at tape of the left tackle, I noticed this right tackle wasn't letting anyone go near his QB. And that was Rosengarten. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony The Wiz said:

this is what it said about Carolina. The panthers seemed content with Ickey Ekwonu and Taylor Moton at center. But Carolina could select a center to develop at some point in the draft, but its highly unlikely that would be in round one. Well Carolina, you had the best Center in the draft and a top 25-30 player and you took the 8-12 top wide receiver.  Just ridiculous what the NFL has become.  Its not football no more. One step away from flag football.  

Look at the Jets defense. They made Mahomes, Hurst, Allen look like crap. All they needed was a QB.  Zach Wilson just killed this team and the OL was just pulverized with injuries.  Its past history now. Its one reason I like Saleh. He is a very good defensive HC and this team was constantly pushed around before he got here.  Took a few years but the defense is lights out and just keeps getting better.  We now have a decent OL with depth. We have tons of options to make this OL better, Coelman, Armedgie, Rosengarten to make this team better in the trenches and with skill players like Corely or Malik Washington or Jacob Cowling. This is going to be a very good draft for JD.

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I can't speak to the accuracy of this article but it does support a strong hunch of mine.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2022/7/13/23206891/where-was-the-average-nfl-offensive-starter-drafted-by-position

Here are the salient points:

All Offense by Rounds Drafted

OL by position

Final Thoughts

• Get your QB in the first round, because that's where you need to find him. And nothing is more important than finding him.
  • Get your LT in the first round. Until you have your QB and LT, it's probably never a bad idea to spend a 1st rounder on those two positions.
  • You can build the rest of an offensive line in the later rounds or even with UDFAs if you've got a good eye for talent.
  • Get your stud WRs in the first two (maybe three) rounds. And spend more picks on WRs, because you need tons of them and a high % of UDFAs are playing big snaps right now.
  • Don't spend 1st rounders on RBs, but don't neglect the position in the draft. Not many UDFA RBs are doing much.

So to sum up - we are probably doing it in the right order.

You can't criticize JD on understanding positional value in the draft. He's done it consistently well, he just hasn't drafted the right players often times.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

this is what it said about Carolina. The panthers seemed content with Ickey Ekwonu and Taylor Moton at center. But Carolina could select a center to develop at some point in the draft, but its highly unlikely that would be in round one. Well Carolina, you had the best Center in the draft and a top 25-30 player and you took the 8-12 top wide receiver.  Just ridiculous what the NFL has become.  Its not football no more. One step away from flag football.  

Their QB is not going to survive. I'm suprised he made it through the year.   

3 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Their QB is not going to survive. I'm suprised he made it through the year.   

How do you trade up to get a wideout in this draft. You need someone to protect your QB. You need a center, And you don't pick the best one by far in this draft. just dumb. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony The Wiz said:

How do you trade up to get a wideout in this draft. You need someone to protect your QB. You need a center, And you don't pick the best one by far in this draft. just dumb. 

And Powers is a beast. Reminds me of Mangold.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Panthers are morons. They had Shroud way ahead of Bryce and changed their minds in the last second.  Now they are compounding their mistakes. What a joke. They go thorugh head coaches like Hugh Hefner went through playboy bunnies.  They are just a mess of a franchise rivaling the Raiders and Broncos right now.

• Upvote 2

WR that are remaining and those that might be there at 3-72

Keon Coleman, Adonai Mitchell, Troy Franklin Ladd McConkey will very likely be gone.

Roman Wilson, Malachi Corley, Ja'Lyn Polk maybe if we are really really lucky.

We are probably looking at Devontez Walker, Jermaine Burton, Malik Washington, Jalen McMillan types.

Unless we get quite lucky I am thinking we take a different position group in the 3rd round.

We will have to trade up to get a 3rd tier WR.  Still quite a few promising guys who could be good throughout the draft though.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Keon Coleman, Adonai Mitchell, Troy Franklin Ladd McConkey will very likely be gone.

We are probably looking at Devontez Walker, Jermaine Burton, Malik Washington, Jalen McMillan types.

Unless we get quite lucky I am thinking we take a different position group in the 3rd round.

We will have to trade up to get a 3rd tier WR.  Still quite a few promising guys who could be good throughout the draft though.

I think JD trades up to get 2 picks in round 3 and takes another OL ,maybe Rosengaarten or Coleman and a WR like Devontez Walker who is a speed merchant. Then roiund 4 gets a slot like Malik Washington. that would be a killer draft. 

Or trades up to round 2 and takes Corley who would be  a nice pick for Rodgers. He'd still have ammo to take another OL. 

Brendan Rice profiles as a nice understudy for Mike Williams, and if I recall correctly, we spent a lot of time meeting with him in the pre draft process.

Getting him or other contested catcher types (Polk/McMillan/Baker), and a speedy slot (Wilson/Washington/Cowing/McCaffrey) would be a nice stable.

And set us up with depth. 

• Upvote 2

Looks like the Jets might have snookered opponents in leaking interest in Bowers but all along wanting to take the Penn State O tackle. As for Raiders taking him a surprise they drafted Mayer in the 2nd round last year also a player at the time rumored to go to the Jets. 

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Brendan Rice profiles as a nice understudy for Mike Williams, and if I recall correctly, we spent a lot of time meeting with him in the pre draft process.

Getting him or other contested catcher types (Polk/McMillan), and a speedy slot (McCaffrey) would be a nice stable.

No worries. There are so many to choose from that will contribute and JD will take at least 2 WR's in this draft.

9 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Both ;)

This was really pretty close to my ideal scenario.

Only thing better would have been fleecing Minnesota for even more draft capital.

Joe couldn’t afford to drop below #14.

The Saints would have been all over Fashanu.

Trevor Penning sucks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I’m out on Coleman.  Pathetic separation success rates.

Troy Franklin does not have an NFL body 

His limbs are like twigs 

He makes DeVonta Smith look like HHH