****The Official Day 1 of the NFL Draft Thread****

4 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Brick played 10 yrs, was a borderline all pro most of those years and was so consistent.  Sign me up for this. 

NEVER missed a game.... Availability Is A Top Ability. 

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

They passed on Belichick and then went and did that.

Penix Jr. will be 28 by the time Cousins’ deal expires 😂

There were many on here who wanted the Jets to draft a QB in Round 1 because of our aging, injury prone QB and how we need our future #1 guy developing behind him. 

I feel so sorry for Atlanta fans this morning, I really do. 

39 minutes ago, jamesr said:

There were many on here who wanted the Jets to draft a QB in Round 1 because of our aging, injury prone QB and how we need our future #1 guy developing behind him. 

One of the all-time head scratching picks I ever watched. There’s no justifying it. Makes zero sense to me. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Notable that not a soul walking the Earth had Olu to the Jets. That place is locked up tight-tight. 

Yet so many had fuaga, and you’d think that some of the ‘the jets need a tackle’ camp would have mocked him to the jets anyway saying they need a LT more than a Rt.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Notable that not a soul walking the Earth had Olu to the Jets. That place is locked up tight-tight. 

I don't believe he even had a top 30 visit.

Someone (don't recall who) said in another thread that their former head of scouting had done extensive work on him during the season so they probably had that info.

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

has anyone come out with any type of realistic sane response as to what the Falcons were thinking?

Nothing against the Penix pick and I do like him but why when you locked up cousins for 4 years?

Someone/somewhere has to have a logical reason - or the Falcons are doing their best to become the Jets of the draft from the 70's and 80's. 

9 hours ago, Jdeet said:

The Jets picked Fashanu. But ok. 

Pardon.  I was on the phone with another Jets fan friend when I sent that post.  I didn't get my thoughts across.  

I came to think that Fuaga will be a better and more complete RT than Fashanu will be a LT.  Fashanu is like Brick.  Highly technical pass blocking LT without much gusto to his run blocking.  RT is a less sexy pick than LT or TE.  That meaning, I think I would have liked Fuaga better than Fashanu.  BUT.... With Fashanu being the ideal pass blocking LT, we will like that pick much batter after the fact when Tyron goes down and we need a LT.  And, considering Tyron *NEVER* plays a full season AND he is older now... We are going to very much need a LT to protect Rodgers blind side.  THEN we gonna love the pick even thought Fuaga is the better, more complete guy at his position of RT

Let me sum it up.  I LOVED Bowers and would have light up like a Christmas tree if the Jets took him and I loved Fuaga's comprehensive skill set but....

HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DONT EAT YOUR MEAT ?!?!?!?!

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Connor Hughes had it. His prediction was Odunze if he's there, Fashanu if Odunze is gone

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Connor Hughes had it. His prediction was Odunze if he's there, Fashanu if Odunze is gone

12 minutes ago, Trotter said:

has anyone come out with any type of realistic sane response as to what the Falcons were thinking?

Nothing against the Penix pick and I do like him but why when you locked up cousins for 4 years?

Someone/somewhere has to have a logical reason - or the Falcons are doing their best to become the Jets of the draft from the 70's and 80's. 

Analysis: Penix suffered season-ending injuries in each of his four years at Indiana, but the pocket presence, strong arm and accuracy he showed at Washington clearly captured the Falcons’ imagination. Without the injury history, he might have been the second or third quarterback off the board, so it made sense to see Penix picked among the second tier of passers. It is confusing, though, that it was the Falcons who took Penix after giving Kirk Cousins a massive contract this offseason (despite coming off injury). Add in the risk of the young quarterback having to battle back from another shoulder or knee injury early in his career, and I think it's one of the riskier draft picks in recent memory.

Reuter's write up on NFL.com ... and I think he was being kind. :-D 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I wished for it obviously.

But never thought it would actually happen based on how previous Jet picks were essentially made common knowledge weeks ahead of the draft.

I saw this over on finheaven and it made me laugh.  Mostly they expected and respected our pick but this was gold.

If they really wanted to protect Aaron Rodgers, they would have drafted a grass field

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Reuter's write up on NFL.com ... and I think he was being kind. :-D 

His age is also a negative here.

Cousins is uncuttable for at least a couple years.

Meaning by the time your “rookie deal” QB starts for you, he’ll be 26 or 27.

We’re talking Brandon Weeden type outliers here.

Olu is 21

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

His age is also a negative here.

Cousins is uncuttable for at least a couple years.

Meaning by the time your “rookie” QB starts for you, he’ll be 26 or 27.

We’re talking Brandon Weeden type outliers here.

it is just mind boggling

if you are drafting a qb high you typically want to take advantage of that rookie contract so you can build around him. In this case, when does penix see the field - year 4? Isn't that when you have to decide on picking up his option?

Do you move on from Cousins after this year and take a massive cap hit?

Whatever the reason was Bellicheck didn't get the Atlanta job he is surely looking like the genius he is labeled for not being there.

enat Penix being #8 overall gets a sizeable rookie contract. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Trotter said:

it is just mind boggling

if you are drafting a qb high you typically want to take advantage of that rookie contract so you can build around him. In this case, when does penix see the field - year 4? Isn't that when you have to decide on picking up his option?

Do you move on from Cousins after this year and take a massive cap hit?

Whatever the reason was Bellicheck didn't get the Atlanta job he is surely looking like the genius he is labeled for not being there.

enat Penix being #8 overall gets a sizeable rookie contract. 

Belichick surely enjoyed seeing that going down 

If it implodes he can bathe himself in schadenfruede

I read a post elsewhere that said Sean Payton suggested on the Mcafee show that the Vikes, Raiders and Broncos all had a sense of who they wanted at QB and they were not going to trade up so the picks would all fall their way.  Nobody expected ATL to take Penix but that wrecked the plan, which led to the Vikes feeling they needed to move up to protect themselves from being leaped for JJM by one of the teams behind them.

So while we're laughing at the Falcons, we might want to send them a quick thank you note.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I read a post elsewhere that said Sean Payton suggested on the Mcafee show that the Vikes, Raiders and Broncos all had a sense of who they wanted at QB and they were not going to trade up so the picks would all fall their way.  Nobody expected ATL to take Penix but that wrecked the plan, which led to the Vikes feeling they needed to move up to protect themselves from being leaped for JJM by one of the teams behind them.

So while we're laughing at the Falcons, we might want to send them a quick thank you note.

One theory as the why the Raiders popped themselves is the Penix to Falcons thing completely shook them

It was a scenario completely out of left field and then they find themselves on the clock scrambling to figure what they should do

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

One theory as the why the Raiders popped themselves is the Penix to Falcons thing completely shook them

It was a scenario completely out of left field and then they find themselves on the clock scrambling to figure what they should do

I can see that.  We've seen it before but IMO an NFL front office that doesn't have EVERY scenario mapped out is begging to be replaced.  As far as the 1st round goes, it's not that hard to have every possible scenario covered.  I though Telesco was pretty good at the draft but, if true, this is a black mark.

At 8:49 of this press conference, Costello asks about Brock Bowers.  If I'm hearing him correctly, he says "he went 13 to the Raiders while we've been sitting here".  Does this mean that the press conference was going on during the draft?!?!  What if JD wanted to trade up?  Or if some team wants to call him?