Fashunu: Why do I keep hearing he is a reserve

47 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Hey boys.  Thought it was a good night for the team.  Got a prototypical left tackle with high IQ and great character. Zero sacks allowed against Big 10 competition.  Really get a Brick vibe from him.

Sorry to start another thread on this pick but I am just flabbergasted how many times I have heard and read and seen commentary that he will be a backup this year.  Assuming our 2 starting tackles hold up (which is far from a safe assumption) then won't he move to a starter at left guard or am I missing something here?  Put him at left guard and we are looking at Smith and Moses at tackle with Fashanu as swing. Tippman moves back to center, AVT if healthy is back at right guard, and Simpson rotating in as a swing guard.  Carter and Schweitzer and Mitchell as backups.  I mean this is a huge improvement over previous years IMO.  I can't remember the last year a Jets QB wasn't either running for his life or injured.  Give Aaron Rodgers time and he will work well with even marginal receivers.  Give him receivers and no time and he won't be working with anyone for long.   Now lets package some picks to move up and grab Roman Wilson and it will have been a great draft!  

Sorry, but I will channel Meckhi Becton right now.  I AM A LEFT TACKLE!!!!!

The guy is the prototypical left tackle, but in his own words, can play right tackle if need be.  

There is no way, and quite frankly, no point in moving him to guard.  We gave Simpson a 18 Million dollar 2 year contract, and he didn't get that to be a backup guard.  The Jets starting line, as it is currently constructed, will be one of the top offensive lines in the NFL.  Fashanu  will be playing this year, and will be spelling our left tackle, when he needs to.  And we don't want to be moving players all over the offensive line.  Let the line gel at the positions that they are playing.  You got Fashanu to back up left tackle, and Warren to back up right tackle, and Schweitzer to back up guard and center.  That's 8.  I want 10, which means that Max is on the bubble, and whoever else, either currently on the roster, or we even draft another interior lineman.

33 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

It's really unfair to him for everyone to be making this comparison.  He's nothing like DBrick, like at all. 

DBrick was a 4 year started a Virginia.  He started in 49 games.  He was the 4th overall pick and the first tackle off the board.  He was the consensus, best OT that year.   He was a true physical freak, built like a TE in 6'6 frame.   There wasnt many holes to poke in DBrick as a prospect.

Olu has 20 collegiate starts, 2 years of experience and didnt finish his first season tearing his meniscus.  He's got small hands, doesnt reall have a punch and was ok at time and some times pretty good but never really great or dominant.  He's a true development prospect. 

All due respect but FUaga!!!  I'm still calling him d'Olumuyiwa and don't you dare try to stop me!!!

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No, the Jets are done at moving guys to positions they dont play.

Tippy is a center, AVT is a guard and Olu is a tackle.

Olu is depth for 1 year and a starting tackle next year.

It is a beautiful thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They didn't rule out him playing inside at the press conference.

Long term he will be the LT, this year who knows.

JD sees Fashanu as multiple things:

1. Insurance on Tyron Smith for this season

2. Starter for 2025 and beyond

3. A guy who, if he can start by midseason, will chip into the playing time bonuses the Jets need to pay Tyron Smith

Not an exciting pick but I love it, especially with getting him at #11.  Would have also been fine with Fuaga.  Those were the two best guys on the board at that point.  Regarding the TEs, let's see Conklin and Ruckert heat up with AR at the controls this season.  Jets have a slightly above average TE group IMO.

Wouldn't it be nice for the Jets to not have to revisit the premium spots on the OL (Left Tackle, Center) with Fashanu and Tippmann for the next 4-5 years?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

I consider Fashanu a reserve because he's a true LT. He will be a reserve until he's not and that time will happen several games this year. Also, something that isn't being talked about is Tyron does NOT practice. He does walkthroughs and just plays on Sundays - he's elite but he's also that type of injury prone (see Terron Armstead in Miami). So not only will Fashanu play this year, he will pretty much get the vast majority of LT snaps in practice. He will be pretty well set up to take over in 2025

I didn’t think of that with Tyron not practicing. Hell definitely get work in on the practice field which is great 

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

They didn't rule out him playing inside at the press conference.

Long term he will be the LT, this year who knows.

I think all JD said was he defers to Saleh who plays and where.

I know this isn’t basketball where the starters don’t matter as much as the finishers but fashanu is in a good position to be the first man off the bench.  Historically, smith will miss 6 or so games.  Fashanu will see plenty of action.

3 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Hey boys.  Thought it was a good night for the team.  Got a prototypical left tackle with high IQ and great character. Zero sacks allowed against Big 10 competition.  Really get a Brick vibe from him.

Sorry to start another thread on this pick but I am just flabbergasted how many times I have heard and read and seen commentary that he will be a backup this year.  Assuming our 2 starting tackles hold up (which is far from a safe assumption) then won't he move to a starter at left guard or am I missing something here?  Put him at left guard and we are looking at Smith and Moses at tackle with Fashanu as swing. Tippman moves back to center, AVT if healthy is back at right guard, and Simpson rotating in as a swing guard.  Carter and Schweitzer and Mitchell as backups.  I mean this is a huge improvement over previous years IMO.  I can't remember the last year a Jets QB wasn't either running for his life or injured.  Give Aaron Rodgers time and he will work well with even marginal receivers.  Give him receivers and no time and he won't be working with anyone for long.   Now lets package some picks to move up and grab Roman Wilson and it will have been a great draft!  

He’s 21 years old. He has massive upside and was great in his couple years at Penn State. But I believe he is still developmental. He could use some time playing behind a hall of famer, at one of the most important positions on the field. Not get re-routed to a position he has never played, just to get him on the field. 

There is high risk for injury at tackle. He will be on the field, before you know it. But, I don’t think he is starting week 1, without an injury.

Still a good pick. But it is, what it is. 

9 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Kis is going to play .  No way Tyron Smith plays a full year injury free 

that and Morgan Moses is coming back from a torn pec surgery that's a 4-6 month thing

My best guess Olu plays all of Moses RT reps in preseason and they also let him play LT with the 2nd team to warm him up for swing tackle duties 

Tyron's going to miss a month. it's baked in

the real season I think the over under on starts for Olu is 7 games give or take. All without moving him to guard. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

I feel like this is becoming a bit of an overrated stat as every year many T's are coming into the league w/ this on their resume.  I just dont see like a physically dominant player. 

That’s fair. He’s got really good feet and body control. Uses body well like a power forward. But yes, you could slam on him. Fact! 

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

that and Morgan Moses is coming back from a torn pec surgery that's a 4-6 month thing

My best guess Olu plays all of Moses RT reps in preseason and they also let him play LT with the 2nd team to warm him up for swing tackle duties 

Tyron's going to miss a month. it's baked in

the real season I think the over under on starts for Olu is 7 games give or take. All without moving him to guard. 

Yeah I mean I can understand being upset with the Macdonald pick given how stacked we were/are there but OL was the move to make once Nabers and Odunze were off the board 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Yeah I mean I can understand being upset with the Macdonald pick given how stacked we were/are there but OL was the move to make once Nabers and Odunze were off the board 

I still like Mcdonald fwiw. He's got rare gifts and flashed a couple of times last year 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

I still like Mcdonald fwiw. He's got rare gifts and flashed a couple of times last year 

Yeah I never hated the player I just wanted a tackle and that draft flip killed us.  But at least we got Tippman in R2.  That’s another thing we are building a young core with AVT Tippman and Fashanu

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

It's really unfair to him for everyone to be making this comparison.  He's nothing like DBrick, like at all. 

DBrick was a 4 year started a Virginia.  He started in 49 games.  He was the 4th overall pick and the first tackle off the board.  He was the consensus, best OT that year.   He was a true physical freak, built like a TE in 6'6 frame.   There wasnt many holes to poke in DBrick as a prospect.

Olu has 20 collegiate starts, 2 years of experience and didnt finish his first season tearing his meniscus.  He's got small hands, doesnt reall have a punch and was ok at time and some times pretty good but never really great or dominant.  He's a true development prospect. 

...and Bob seems to get irritated when offensive draftees don't show up Hall of Fame ready. Who can coach this guy up? Anyone?

11 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

That means nothing to me.  lol  The amount of "consensus" top 15 picks that should not have been drafted in the top 15 and ironically busted out of the league, is endless. 

Which really means nothing to me.  
There are lots of reasons why players don’t reach their projections or bust.  

12 hours ago, derp said:

I don’t think Fashanu has the build to project to guard like some of the other tackles they were looking at. Just let him put on good weight, soak things in from Tyron Smith, and contribute when called upon - which will happen.

He can in no way project to Guard because he has Issues getting low which will hurt him as a guard its never going to happen

He's not a back up; but why expose him so early? Especially in New York.

We have tools there to make sure he can learn and develop whilst playing less snaps and understanding how we play.

It's not a bad thing, it's a rare luxury we have here, let the guy grow, and make him a beast for the next decade.

It's why we should've drafted Fautanu instead if we wanted o-line. Could've traded down even further gotten more picks and gotten a guy that could sub in for Smith or AVT (who is more injury prone then Smith is) if they go down. Instead, JD ****s up again at drafting offensive line.

• Thumb Down 1

17 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

He is not a Development prospect. Up to and including draft day he was the concensus 2nd T that should be taken in the 1st round behind Alt and most felt that way. If we did not have Smith Olu would be penciled in at LT as the starter.