What position would you add ONE more free agent?

What position would you add ONE more free agent to?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What Position?

• QB
    • RB
    • WR
    • TE
    • OT
    • iOL
    • DT
    • DE
    • LB
    • CB
    • S
    • None - save the cap for the regular season or next seasonq

If the Jets could use their whole remaining free agent budget on one player at one position, where would you add? Assume this would be for $3m-$5m, i.e. a low-mid starter or high end backup, based on the current free agent pool. There has been various discussion of adding new help, but I'm curious how folks opinions break down % wise. I realize some positions may not actually require a full 3m-5m to add help for, but please play along and vote for your top priority. 

42 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I use to love the reverse cowgirl. Now cause of my belly she ends up sitting on my ankles. 

I am impressed that it reaches that far.  

• Haha 4

Back to the pole poll:  

To make a choice from the list don't we need to see exactly who is available at each position?  I'll place a vote later after I look at a list of who is still available.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure that the Jets have the cap space to be able to sign another FA, but if they do, I think a strong case can be made for only 4 positions:  IOL, WR, S, and DT.

I think the Jets depth on the IOL is pretty bad.   Wes Schweitzer used to be a good IOL, but I think his skills have diminished with age.  He's only 30, and that's not old for OL, but still I'd rather he be the Jets second in line in terms of depth, rather than first.  After him, it's really iffy between Jake Hanson, Xavier Newman and Chris Glaser.  Statistically, McGovern was one of the worst Cs in the NFL last year, and he's better at C than OG, so I don't want him back, but I think the Jets need to add someone.  I truly think that JD screwed up not taking an IOL in the 4th or 5th round.  There were still some good prospects.

WR is the position which I think has the second-biggest need. G, Wilson is a weapon.  M. Williams will help, but will he be ready to start the season?  Even if he is, how effective will he be coming off of a torn ACL?  Malachi Corley is a great prospect, but he still will be a rookie and he fell to the 3rd round for a reason.  Can Lazard bounce back with Rodgers back under center this year?  Will Gipson, Maalik Taylor, or Brownlee develop or take a step up?

S is the #3 position in terms of need.  Adams was pretty good last season and if Chuck Clark is healthy and doesn't have a lot of rust, the S position could be fine, but it's iffy with Clark.  The depth is Ashtyn Davis, who was good last year, but after him is a big question mark.  At present, there's only Jarrick Bernard-Converse (JBC), who missed most of last season and was only a 6th round draft pick, and a conversion from CB.  The Jets added Jaylen Key, with the Mr. Irrelevant pick who will compete for a spot.  They also have Qwan'tez Stiggers, but he may stay at CB or they may try him at S.  After that there are several UDFA Safeties or Safety conversions from CB.  Maybe Stiggers or Key make the team, but even though I liked JBC as a prospect, and like Stiggers potential, I'd feel better with a solid vet at S.

DT is the #4 position in terms of need simply because of its importance and the fact that the Jets are counting on a couple of FAs who aren't that good.  Kinlaw could be a great signing, but last year could have just been a career year, and he could revert to his previous level of play.  Leki Fotu may not even make the team.  I'd feel a lot beter if Al Woods was back and healthy and if Quinton Jefferson were back.  I don't know if there's even a decent NT still out there in FA.  Thankfully, Whitecotton has done a great job with developing the Jets' DL, so hopefully he can get more out of Kinlaw and maybe Fotu.  Also, with a better OL, Rodgers should be able to stay healthy, the Jets rushing attack should be better with the additions of Allen and Davis, and as a result, hopefully they'll have a lead more often and it will force opponents to have to throw the ball more and run the ball a lot less.  In theory, that should make the need at NT less.

There are two players that I think the Jets could wind up really regretting not drafting who were available to them in the mid-to-late rounds: Christian Mahagony, OG (6th round) and Jaden Hicks, SS (4th round).  I think that either could wind up being more valuable than the 3rd round pick in 2025 they received for trading down.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Save for Camp Cuts or for injury during the Season.

Prices come down the deeper you move through TC

I agree, but if you would then sign a camp cut, at what position would it be?

4 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I'm not sure that the Jets have the cap space to be able to sign another FA, but if they do, I think a strong case can be made for only 4 positions:  IOL, WR, S, and DT.

I think the Jets depth on the IOL is pretty bad.   Wes Schweitzer used to be a good IOL, but I think his skills have diminished with age.  He's only 30, and that's not old for OL, but still I'd rather he be the Jets second in line in terms of depth, rather than first.  After him, it's really iffy between Jake Hanson, Xavier Newman and Chris Glaser.  Statistically, McGovern was one of the worst Cs in the NFL last year, and he's better at C than OG, so I don't want him back, but I think the Jets need to add someone.  I truly think that JD screwed up not taking an IOL in the 4th or 5th round.  There were still some good prospects.

WR is the position which I think has the second-biggest need. G, Wilson is a weapon.  M. Williams will help, but will he be ready to start the season?  Even if he is, how effective will he be coming off of a torn ACL?  Malachi Corley is a great prospect, but he still will be a rookie and he fell to the 3rd round for a reason.  Can Lazard bounce back with Rodgers back under center this year?  Will Gipson, Maalik Taylor, or Brownlee develop or take a step up?

S is the #3 position in terms of need.  Adams was pretty good last season and if Chuck Clark is healthy and doesn't have a lot of rust, the S position could be fine, but it's iffy with Clark.  The depth is Ashtyn Davis, who was good last year, but after him is a big question mark.  At present, there's only Jarrick Bernard-Converse (JBC), who missed most of last season and was only a 6th round draft pick, and a conversion from CB.  The Jets added Jaylen Key, with the Mr. Irrelevant pick who will compete for a spot.  They also Qwan'tez Stiggers, but he may stay at CB or they may try him at S.  After that there are several UDFA Safeties or Safety conversions from CB.  Maybe Stiggers or Key make the team, but even though I liked JBC as a prospect, and like Stiggers potential, I'd feel better with a solid vet at S.

DT is the #4 position in terms of need simply because of its importance and the fact that the Jets are counting on a couple of FAs who aren't that good.  Kinlaw could be a great signing, but last year could have just been a career year, and he could revert to his previous level of play.  Leki Fotu may not even make the team.  I'd feel a lot beter if Al Woods was back and healthy and if Quinton Jefferson were back.  I don't know if there's even a decent NT still out there in FA.  Thankfully, Whitecotton has done a great job with developing the Jets' DL, so hopefully he can get more out of Kinlaw and maybe Fotu.  Also, with a better OL, Rodgers should be able to stay healthy, the Jets rushing attack should be better with the additions of Allen and Davis, and as a result, hopefully they'll have a lead more often and it will force opponents to have to throw the ball more and run the ball a lot less.  In theory, that should make the need at NT less.

There are two players that I think the Jets could wind up really regretting not drafting who were available to them in the mid-to-late rounds: Christian Mahagony, OG (6th round) and Jaden Hicks, SS (4th round).  I think that either could wind up being more valuable than the 3rd round pick in 2025 they received for trading down.

I thought for sure this was a @Sperm Edwards novella!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

LB with no votes can only mean one thing.

@Sperm Edwards hasn't seen this thread yet.

I feel like JetNation should have an annual "CJ Mosley Award" that Sperm is the arbiter of (and he decides what he wants it to be about).

Maybe Crusher can have some kind of food award too.

Eventually build it into the JetNation Oscars.

• Sympathy 1

I would sign a vet FA QB like Siemian (who knows our offense) to be number 3 since our rookie QB could be on IR all or most of season and we need someone in case of injury to Rodgers and Taylor. 

• Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I would sign a vet FA QB like Siemian (who knows our offense) to be number 3 since our rookie QB could be on IR all or most of season and we need someone in case of injury to Rodgers and Taylor. 

I disagree. Siemian sucks.  He would be a waste of roster space and cap space.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I feel like JetNation should have an annual "CJ Mosley Award" that Sperm is the arbiter of (and he decides what he wants it to be about).

Maybe Crusher can have some kind of food award too.

Eventually build it into the JetNation Oscars.

Many years back we had the annual JN Awards. I forget who used to do them.

• Upvote 1

The top vote getters -IOL, WR, & S- could all use attention, although none of them need a free agent addition before training camp. They’ll use camp to see if any cream rises to the top, and then they’ll scour camp cuts and/or explore low level trades to finish the job. So I’d say none until sometime in August or September. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I disagree. Siemian sucks.  He would be a waste of roster space and cap space.

He's just an example I named him since he knows the offense here. It's hard to find a no 3 QB who doesn't suck. But we need someone who in an emergency can run the offense and who isn't expensive. 

• Upvote 1

Jeremy Fowler @JFowlerESPN

The #Falcons are signing a pair of veteran free agents - defensive lineman Bradlee Anae and defensive back Dane Cruikshank - after their tryouts Friday, per agent @davidcanter of @GSEworldwide