Trevor Lawrence Paid

Is this supposed to be shot at first Burrow last year and now Lawrence this year....for getting paid?

I thought the unwritten rule in the NFL was to not comment on other players' money?

Flabby Kermit is getting more and more unlikeable.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Makes me glad we picked 2nd that year.  I'd rather fail miserably (Zach) and move on, vs pay big for what is likely mediocrity.

I’m willing to wait another couple of years before going full mediocrity on the guy, but agree we have our mistake behind us.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Similar situation to the Giants and Danny Dimes. Giants paid an average QB good QB money. The Jags are paying a good QB elite QB money. They'll be stuck in a mess because they won't be able to pay for talent around him which he needs.

• Upvote 2

Lawrence getting that level of money is crazy even if you factor the new cap. I think it's fairly to find 10 QBs most teams would rather have and it's questionable he's on the top 15. Jaguars made some unique choices this off-season.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

That’s exactly what the 49ers have been attempting with Purdy.  Problem is it’s not really sustainable, since eventually they’ll need to pay him top 10 QB money or find an adequate replacement in the draft.  

There’s only so many guys on the planet who can do the job effectively at any given time.  

Technically it is what the Jets have tried ever since Testaverde popped his achilles. That 1998 team overachieved big time. Not sure I ever mentioned that.  But I digress.  :)

That is the thing I guess, if you go the Purdy route and it works you have to pay him. I am thinking more of a younger Tyrod Taylor route, a player better than that. But I think you might see teams take more gambles like that instead of giving the Tua's of the world 30% of your salary cap.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

I guess they had no choice, but wow, the numbers in sports in general are getting crazy.

Other than the NHL they absolutely are.  An solid QB is now like a $30M player.  A great QB is like $50-$60M.  I think Ohtani averages $70M per year.  I don't even understand a player's worth in MLB anymore.  How can an average fan even afford to go to games anymore with these salaries?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If I'm a Jags fan I'm happy about this contract.  They've got their long-term QB locked up and probably in another year or 2 the contract will look like a bargain.  

You can have Trevor Lawrence as the highest paid QB in the league or Aaron Rodgers as the 15th highest paid. Who you taking?

44 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If I'm a Jags fan I'm happy about this contract.  They've got their long-term QB locked up and probably in another year or 2 the contract will look like a bargain.  

This reasoning works for Mahomes’ deal, whose salary looks like relative pocket change compared to his value to the franchise.

With no salary cap, Mahomes is prob worth 100+ M per.

Not so much for Trev’s IMO.

The Jags didn’t really have a choice though.  They could have dragged things out with a long acrimonious negotiation, I suppose.

Lawrence has shown himself to be good, not great, so far.

You can win with him and he’s a legit starting QB and that is worth a lot these days.

Just not sure he will ever be elite.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

It is getting so crazy that a Billy Beane style is going to emerge where you load up on other positions and try to win it all without a top QB.

I’ve read some analytical nerd stuff referring to the first pick in the draft as its least valuable. The Jags had no choice but to take Lawrence. He plays okay. Now, primarily by virtue of his draft status, he’s the highest paid player in the league. He’s done nothing else to earn that kind of money, the Jags are just afraid of him leaving and being great somewhere else. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1