I don't think Rodgers plays next season...

AFJF

4 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

If Rodgers doesn't play next season its because we missed the playoffs and Douglas and Saleh are gone.

In that scenario anything can happen I guess but I'd rank the possibility of Darnold coming back here at 0.

If the jets make the playoffs and rodgers is healthy he plays.  He can clearly still sling it, and i believe he loves the game.  He has absolutely no incentives to keep playing and if he was going to retire it would have been this past offseason after that injury.  

• Upvote 1

I think we and he get better and better as the season goes on.

I still see us as a playoff team.

How we're playing finishing the regular season will be big.

We have the roster to get hot.

I think the only way this is Rodgers last season is if he were to get injured bad again or we win the Super Bowl.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

If Rodgers doesn't play next season its because we missed the playoffs and Douglas and Saleh are gone.

In that scenario anything can happen I guess but I'd rank the possibility of Darnold coming back here at 0.

Orrrrr ... we won the Super Bowl and AR8 decides to ride off into the darkness, his legacy intact. :-) 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

It's trending that way. You can chalk it up to rust, but his bottom half isn't doing what he wants it to do. Arm is still there, but the legs are shot and he seems to know it. At his age, I don't expect a big rebound as the season progresses. He's still able to do more than any QB we've had in a long time, but he's not going to outsling elite QBs when needed. 

Too early to tell.

Arm still seems there (at least accuracy/touch, aside from some rust I can get past). I'm not seeing him fire in the same fastballs he used to have. That doesn't bother me too much; a fastball doesn't hurt but accuracy + touch + brains are all more useful (see: Wilson, Zach). 

What we don't know yet - with the arm - is how he'll look as they get into December. A lot of passes in games, a lot of passes in practices between them... some earlier than others, but it eventually takes its toll on everyone.

Before he went to Tampa, Brady's arm already started to look shot (and was never the scrambler that younger Rodgers was). So again, it's too early to tell. 

Then that's of course on top of taking some beatings. He's taken a few sacks, which is no big deal because 100% of QBs get sacked, but none have been devastating blindside or up the gut hits yet. Closest wasn't even on a sack but that little bit extra love-tap as he was scrambling out of bounds yesterday. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

It's trending that way. You can chalk it up to rust, but his bottom half isn't doing what he wants it to do. Arm is still there, but the legs are shot and he seems to know it. At his age, I don't expect a big rebound as the season progresses. He's still able to do more than any QB we've had in a long time, but he's not going to outsling elite QBs when needed. 

Agree with this. He can still sling it but he does not look comfortable when he has to move. Season hinges on protecting him.

Right now imo there's been steady improvement in Rodgers. They opened up the offense some. All these games will probably be close ones the Jets aren't really better than most opponents. I see an advantage at QB for the Jets vs most teams. Things on offense aren't clicking yet for other teams either. If he has a good season and I really don't think he has a bad one possible he'll come back and even get more money. 

7 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

If the jets won the superbowl he would retire for sure, go out on top like manning and elway

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Too early to tell.

Arm still seems there (at least accuracy/touch, aside from some rust I can get past). I'm not seeing him fire in the same fastballs he used to have. That doesn't bother me too much; a fastball doesn't hurt but accuracy + touch + brains are all more useful (see: Wilson, Zach). 

What we don't know yet - with the arm - is how he'll look as they get into December. A lot of passes in games, a lot of passes in practices between them... some earlier than others, but it eventually takes its toll on everyone.

Before he went to Tampa, Brady's arm already started to look shot (and was never the scrambler that younger Rodgers was). So again, it's too early to tell. 

Then that's of course on top of taking some beatings. He's taken a few sacks, which is no big deal because 100% of QBs get sacked, but none have been devastating blindside or up the gut hits yet. Closest wasn't even on a sack but that little bit extra love-tap as he was scrambling out of bounds yesterday. 

Actually the sacks oddly bother me less than with most our QB's. Each time he pops up and go's back into the huddle it feels like a small victory. Weird, I know. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

He’s going to be 41yo in 7 weeks. I don’t see a player that age getting better as a 17 game season unwinds. The hope is he gets by on guile and gets the Jets to 10 wins.

Who knows if he wants to come back and try again next year? I’d assume it depends on how well he and the team plays this season.

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

He’s going to be 41yo in 7 weeks. I don’t see a player that age getting better as a 17 game season unwinds. The hope is he gets by on guile and gets the Jets to 10 wins.

Who knows if he wants to come back and try again next year? I’d assume it depends on how well he and the team plays this season.

Rodgers doesn’t have to be MVP 40+ TD Rodgers to win games for us.  Just be competent.  Be better than the putrid trash we’ve been running out at the qb position