Clean slate ..now?

I know this may be a bit dramatic but if this is truly AR8 last season, would it make sense to get ride of Hackett and Saleh now to give this offense the best chance to succeed?

If we did this who would be good suitors that are available for OC and HC?

I would add Joe D in the mix there too for a completely rehaul however I am not sure how the open GM market is during the season. 

The presumption is that Hackett and Rodgers are packaged deal 

Either way, coaches are typically not fired in-season until it's too late (and never by Woody)

Saleh should have been let go in the offseason and they should have gone hard after Vrabel

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

The presumption is that Hackett and Rodgers are packaged deal 

Either way, coaches are typically not fired in-season until it's too late (and never by Woody)

Saleh should have been let go in the offseason and they should have gone hard after Vrabel

Vrabel sucks

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Tezza said:

I know this may be a bit dramatic but if this is truly AR8 last season, would it make sense to get ride of Hackett and Saleh now to give this offense the best chance to succeed?

I would add Joe D in the mix there too for a completely rehaul however I am not sure how the open GM market is during the season. 

image.webp.d46f16c479c2721d5ba5d92f381f836e.webpimage.webp.624b1767889b9001203fb8db8b7ff277.webp

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Saleh has proven to be a terrible HC. He regularly gets outcoached and his teams are very undisciplined, which tells me he does NOT hold players accountable. Hackett is also a terrible OC.  His offense is unimaginative and predictable and can't figure out to to get any of his blue chip weapons in space. Two runs up the middle and then an underneath pass has more or less been the strategy the entire season so far.  The only times that anything has happened on offense is when Rodgers bails them out by moving around in the pocket and improvising.  

It's amazing that the Jets can never get it all to come together at the same time.  They finally have a really good roster with weapons on both sides of the ball but they are completely handcuffed by inferior coaches.  It's infuriating.  

• Upvote 1

Do we have any interim HC candidates on the sideline should this go south in a hurry?

Yesterday was a perfect example of the impact of coaching in the NFL.

Denver has a far less talented roster yet was prepared and motivated to play.  With a bunch of mid, late round and undrafted free agents.  

This year is very unique so while I get that Woody doesn’t make in season changes, he hasn’t had this talented a roster in 14 seasons and Aaron Rodgers isn’t getting any younger.

——————————

What less extreme changes should or will be on the table?  A few ideas:

1. Change the Offensive play caller?  I don’t see Hackett being let go but is his role diminished and guy like Todd Downing (passing coordinator) elevated?

2. Change the OL coach?  We all dislike him, former/current players seem to dislike him, his mom might even dislike him.  Is the Jets OL under performance related to scheme, lack of prep, technique, etc?  I’m talking the whole and not the individual parts, some of whom are performing at high levels.

3. Change the WR & RB pecking order?  Who gets the most touches?  More Mike Williams, Allen Lazard, Tyler Conklin and Braelon Allen.  Garrett Wilson and Breece playing more decoy until defenses loosen up.

4. Change the players?  Fashanu was bad yesterday, the type of weak link that can implode offensive drives and get our QB killed. Frankly, I don’t care about babying his psyche.  If he’s not ready, he’s not ready.  What did the babying do for Zach Wilson?  What did throwing him out to the sharks do?  Should the Jets should consider starting Carter Warren or Max Mitchell NOW?

5. Change up the Defensive philosophy?

Finally, we play Sauce man on man against the opponent’s top WR (Sutton). On 3rd downs.  Works perfectly.

But then change from that on Denver’s TD drive, allowing the rookie QB to hit Sutton on 2 big 3rd downs including the TD.  Oh vey these coaches.

• Post of the Week 1

I don't see any in-season changes being made but, if we do go that direction, it would most likely be promoting either Ulbrich, or possibly even Hackett.

I find it difficult to believe we'd add a HC from the outside because there's a good chance both JD and Saleh are gone if things don't work out this year.  Obviously Vrabel would be a great choice but I can't possibly see him even considering this mess unless we had some kind of stability at GM (that he was okay with).  I'd fully hand the reigns to BB but I think he hates the Johnson brothers and who can blame him!

The one (quality) outside HC who probably would accept a short-term gig would be Pete Carroll.  I don't think he wanted to stop being a HC and he's too old to get offers elsewhere.  Actually Jon Gruden might be another, if he's not blackballed by the NFL.

My own answers

1. Saleh gets fired if the Jets are under 500 after 8 games.

2. More realistically, the Jets change the play caller after the Vikings if the Offense doesn’t get to 20 points.  A minimum bar for the talent we have .. even against the Vikings and Bills.

3. Downing is not a big enough change.

4. This is an easy should start Warren for those who watched Fashanu closely yesterday.  Until Moses comes back.  But I’m afraid this will be a situation of Saleh not wanting to hurt the kid’s confidence.  A change will likely be made in game Vikings, another forcing function move instead of thoughtful strategizing.  Fashanu will require a lot of help, which the Jets started to send his way late against the Broncos.

5. Of course the Jets should use Sauce to mirror the top WRs on 3rd down and in the red zone.  Increasing their man coverage in these spots.  Denver doesn’t score a TD yesterday if the Jets didn’t get cute.  

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The one (quality) outside HC who probably would accept a short-term gig would be Pete Carroll.  I don't think he wanted to stop being a HC and he's too old to get offers elsewhere.  Actually Jon Gruden might be another, if he's not blackballed by the NFL.

after his one and done here, pete probably hates the jets more than bb.

• Haha 1

I'm shocked Saleh is still the HC this morning - especially after Rodgers' comment. I'd even be ok with Hackett as the interim HC but ONLY if play calling is taken away from him and he leaves Ulbricht alone. I'd prefer Ulbricht as interim because 1) the defense doesn't need much tweaking, and 2) he'll kick some @ss and hold people accountable including the OC.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

He sucks worse. Replacing sucks with sucks isn't the way to go.

All the Let’s hire Vrabel guys are subscribing to the “he looks like a HC” theory the same way they fell in love with Saleh looking the part on the sidelines when he was in SF with the 49ers.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

All the Let’s hire Vrabel guys are subscribing to the “he looks like a HC” theory the same way they fell in love with Saleh looking the part on the sidelines when he was in SF with the 49ers.

I am not getting the fascination with Vrabel. Seems like just more of the same to me. Gase sucked but the hiring concept was correct. Get a young imaginative offensive leader. Not another offense allergic defensive guy.

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

It's nuts.

Vrabel has proven nothing in this league.

It doesn't look like there will be a Harbaugh type guy this offseason. 

Only choice is a new OFFENSIVE minded guy like Johnson.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

I am not getting the fascination with Vrabel. Seems like just more of the same to me. Gase sucked but the hiring concept was correct. Get a young imaginative offensive leader. Not another offense allergic defensive guy.

Exactly. The Ben Johnson idea is intriguing.
Vrabel? Gimme a break.

8 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

It's nuts.

Vrabel has proven nothing in this league.

It doesn't look like there will be a Harbaugh type guy this offseason. 

Only choice is a new OFFENSIVE minded guy like Johnson.

He hasn't???

-54-45 with the Titans in 6 seasons

-3 consecutive playoff appearances from 2019-21, including a trip to the AFC championship game in the 2019 season

-2021 NFL Coach of the Year

2 hours ago, Tezza said:

they should be on the phone to vrable.  the net two games will be hard and it's hard to see booby getting the team prepared for either.  bring vrabel in put saleh out.  he'll have two weeks to get this team where it needs to be.  seems like other teams launch their coaches mid season and start doing better.  why not the jets?

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

In lieu of a proven, winning veteran head coach becoming suddenly available, this should be Ben Johnson's team next year.

Ben Johnson is probably the most well respected offensive coordinator (who isn’t a HC like Shanahan) in the league. Why on earth would ever come work for Woody Johnson on a team that likely will not have their QB in place in 2025?

He can have his pick of any job he wants and will likely try to put himself into a situation with a QB like Caleb Williams (once the Bears fire their coach) or Jalen Hurts. 

38 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He hasn't???

-54-45 with the Titans in 6 seasons

-3 consecutive playoff appearances from 2019-21, including a trip to the AFC championship game in the 2019 season

-2021 NFL Coach of the Year

Subsequently fired because he hasn't won jack since.

Super Bowl winning coach is what we need. Making the playoffs is not the goal.

23 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Ben Johnson is probably the most well respected offensive coordinator (who isn’t a HC like Shanahan) in the league. Why on earth would ever come work for Woody Johnson on a team that likely will not have their QB in place in 2025?

He can have his pick of any job he wants and will likely try to put himself into a situation with a QB like Caleb Williams (once the Bears fire their coach) or Jalen Hurts. 

The Jets job is still a good one, no matter how down you are on the organization. 

The first coach that comes here and actually turns things around here will be granted GOD status. No hungier fan base exists in sports. You win in New York, you are an instant legend.

Jalen Hurts. Lol.