Top 15 NFL Head Coaching Candidates for 2025: Ranking Bill Belichick, Ben Johnson, Aaron Glenn, Klint Kubiak, and Others

Bronx

6 hours ago, Bronx said:

Would you trade for Ben Johnson while firing Saleh? I think this organization will get more respect from the fans with such move, especially if they are pathetic against the Vikings, I would not allow Saleh to coach game 6, even if I have to put an interim coach such as the TE or ST coach. 

Lions would never do that. Gonna have to go for him after the season haha. I think I give Saleh the Vikings and Bills games to right the ship

19 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets should stop trying the OTJT head coach thing. Hire a guy who has had success as a head coach in the NFL or a legit NCAA program. We need someone who can come in and already know how everything should operate so they can fix all the sh*t that is wrong and install a proper football program. Guys doing OTJT don't know what they don't know and there's no one in Florham park to teach them. Someone needs to build that institutional knowledge that slowly crumpled away after Parcells left. It's a shame we didn't try to get Harbaugh.

So from that list I'd go Vrabel just because he's not 100 years old.

I think the ideal attributes and  philosophies the new HC should possess are as follows:

1.  Being an experienced HC and former OC

2. Building a dynamic 21st Century offense would be his #1 priority

3. He would be a great communicator and leader

4. Preferably he would be very creative/innovative thinker 

5. He would leave the defensive scheme alone so that the personnel on that unit doesn't have to be turned over

6. Preferably he would look to design his offense around the talents of his players, not have a set scheme that players would be forced to fit into

7. He would be an aggressive HC

8.  He would be a no-nonsense disciplinarian who commands respect and demands smart, disciplined play

I think you're spot on that the Jets need an experienced HC, but imo even more they need a HC whose main emphasis will be in building a topnotch 21st century offense.  Vrabel is the only one on that list who has been an NFL HC.  Points in his favor are that he has been a successful HC and he should be able to put together a strong CS.  If Vrabel would commit to hiring a great offensive coordinator and building an aggressive offense, and not changing the D scheme significantly, then he would be my choice.  The problem is I'm not sure that he would do that.  All too often former DCs focus primarily on the D and are conservative on offense. We've seen that movie too many times. He may favor a totally different defensive scheme, one that is more passive rather than aggressively attacking, which could mean a turnover in talent.

My concern with Vrabel is that he is yet another former DC.  That in itself doesn't necessarily mean that the Jets couldn't have a great offense under him, but the fact that his Titans team was built on running the ball and D, does. 

I think the best thing for the Jets would be to hire a new HC who wouldn't totally change both the offensive and defensive schemes.  I think the defensive scheme is fine.  Any HC candidate who would want to change to a 3-4 D, or a D scheme that would render many of our good defensive players not a good fit should be disqualified immediately, even if that's Vrabel. 

I hate the WCO, it's just too complex and takes too long to learn, and almost any offensive scheme is easier.  I would hope that there would be a new offensive scheme that was designed around the talents of the players, and not some scheme or system that players would have to fit into.  I would consider Kubiak and Slowik, but I'd ask the offensive players a lot of questions regarding why the offense struggled this season, particularly Wilson and Breece and if they said that the scheme was too complex, I would ask Kubiak and Slowik how they would simplify the WCO to eliminate confusion.  I would also ask them what they would do if the Jets had the opportunity to draft a topnotch QB prospect, but his skill set would not make him a good fit for the WCO.  Would he stick to his scheme or would he change or adapt it for the young QB.  Any one that answered that the player would have to fit his scheme would be disqualified.

I wouldn't even consider any other former DC other than Aaron Glenn, and he would be towards the bottom of my list.  Similarly, I wouldn't seriously consider any Shanahan disciple unless he was flexible and not totally committed to the WCO. 

My top 3 candidates would be Vrable, Todd Monken and Ben Johnson.  Monken was a successful HC at Southern Mississippi, and has built very good to great offenses everywhere.  He won two national titles at UGA with QBs not good enough for the NFL.  If he can devise offenses that can work and win with lesser QBs, that's a big plus in his favor as the Jets may never get that stud future HOF QB, but even if they did, I'm certain that he could win with a great QB as well.  Ben Johnson  would be one of my top 3 candidates. He's done a great job with the Lions' offense and most of his coaching experience has been in the NFL.  The only real negative that I know of is that he hasn't been a HC before.

Glenn, Kubiak and Slowik would be my 2nd tier candidates.  I wouldn't consider anyone else on that list.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Wouldn't want Belichick near the Jets. Not because of the Jets-Patriots rivalry, but because the game has gone past him. Happens to the best coaches at one time or another. The last few seasons of the Patriots after Brady left, they were playing worse and worse football, because Belichick was too ossified in his ways to modernise gameplans.

Plus if you hire Belichick, dollars to donuts, you also hire his idiot sons and Matt Patricia. No bloody way.

• Upvote 2

I don't have any strong opinions here....

I guess

1. The guy that was the OC for the bills to develop whichever QB draws the short straw.

2. Belichik because he has a lot to prove his career was more than Brady. Plus he's a surly **** that can handle NY. AND watching this board meltdown would be worth the price of admission.

3. Chucky ... Dude knows offensive football and lives for the game.

4. Aaron Glenn .. cause we really need another DC HC.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, doitny said:

problem with any of the top guys is Rodgers. we wont know if he is coming back until he goes to his cave which wont be early. so we would pick a HC before that.

2nd problem is we are not as bad as you all think. we will not be in a position to draft high enough to get a top QB prospect. 

we are not a attractive job.

i'm not so sure a high draft pick will be needed to get the next jets qb.  look at how the highly drafted qb's are faring these days.  not so good.  i think the jets will go after a proven vet. maybe trevor lawrence will be available.  he's not doing too well in jax.  could also be travis.  he's been sitting and rehabbing.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

Call Ben Johnson and offer him whatever ******* money he wants. We need a young, offensive minded guy. Get this ******* bum coach outta NY. I am so sick of having an incompetent coach that lacks discipline and respect of his players. 

We need a change. 

You think hiring another coordinator with zero head coaching experience is change? Sounds like doing the same thing we've been trying for decades and expecting a different result.

Find a guy who has been successful as a head coach

IMHO I am putting Vrabel in place in season, with a caveat.  This is why:

• The Jets need a culture change.   Vrabel brings the Patriots Way without the creepiness. 
  • Vrabel is a no nonsense coach who has experienced success in the NFL.  I think his GM let him down.  His teams will be disciplined and prepared. 
  • We need to play Northeast football.  His teams will have strong OLs and strong running games.   He could probably salvage a decent portion of the staff.  
  • I think he would with AR8 for a year, if need be.   At this point I would move on.
  • I think Vrabel and his family would be excited about a Big Apple experience.  Ben Johnson is going to want a QB to work with.   Monken will want something,  I think Vrabel on a long-term contract will work with whomever the Jets have to work with.  
  • I would like to see the Jets work with their current defensive scheme, but maybe it does not matter.   Can Vrabel be a CEO and work with one of the current defensive coaches to keep the current scheme, or maybe its a total rebuild again and we move to a more Northeast/coachable 3-4.  FWIW, the Patriots, Ravens and Steelers have kept with their 3-4 for a long time.  How many times have the Jets switched back and forth?   Maybe Will MD is really a 3-4 LB.  

This team will likely need a guaranteed change that is an upgrade.  If the Jets wait until the offseason they could end up treading water, at best.  Vrabel in season could give them a headstart on their rebuild.

How can you hire Bellichick after that TV show he did, where he would not go into the Jets' lockerroom?

20 hours ago, Bronx said:

Would you trade for Ben Johnson while firing Saleh? I think this organization will get more respect from the fans with such move, especially if they are pathetic against the Vikings, I would not allow Saleh to coach game 6, even if I have to put an interim coach such as the TE or ST coach. 

I thought AR was the coach of the team, so the offense struggles are all RS ‘s fault? Oh how about NH what kind of agenda are you pushing.

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

i'm not so sure a high draft pick will be needed to get the next jets qb.  look at how the highly drafted qb's are faring these days.  not so good.  i think the jets will go after a proven vet. maybe trevor lawrence will be available.  he's not doing too well in jax.  could also be travis.  he's been sitting and rehabbing.

i am 100% behind this. im sick and tired of drafting these top QBs only to have them suck and bring us down for 3 years.

i would be open for Cousins. you got to figure they are going to trade him so their rookie can start next year.

Bowles and Saleh are “nice guys”

Might be time to opt for the “textbook a—hole” coaching profile 🤣🤣🤷‍♂️

seriously though just hire who you think is the most brilliant football guy who also knows how to command a room and can actually lead grown men

Looking like Tarzan doesn’t hurt I guess but it doesn’t necessarily help either as we’ve seen 😂with Coach Doormat 

Super Bowl Nfl GIF by NBA

10 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You think hiring another coordinator with zero head coaching experience is change? Sounds like doing the same thing we've been trying for decades and expecting a different result.

Who in their right minds wants to come here? Belichick is not coming here. Pete Carroll is old. Mike Vrabel I really like but I want a young offensive minded guy. 

On 9/30/2024 at 4:54 PM, bla bla bla said:

Top 6 teams in terms of betting odds for Bill Belichick are:

Cowboys: EVEN

Jaguars: +500

Eagles: +550

Giants: +750

Jets: +800

Bears/Raiders: +900

My List

- Ben Johnson

- Mike Vrabel

- Joe Brady

- Klint Kubiak

- Aaron Glenn

I’ll take Ben Johnson please or any other OC one over any DC. F DC coordinators as HC. “ Give me an OC or put me on a diet!”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2024 at 9:54 PM, Aussie Jet said:

Ben Johnson could be an option, but he'd put the Jets last on his list of potential spots.

Let's face it, any top tier HC candidate would put the Jets last on his list of potential spots. That has been our problem. Good coaches, like good free agents, don't want to come here.

21 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

And how many of them are out there? Successful HC's tend to be employed, not on the market. And the Jets are usually last on the list of potential landing spots for top tier HC's.