Woody speaks (begs Reddick to report)

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Implied in Woody's comments: Joe Douglas is safe.

I read it the other way. Excluding the GM from the decision isn't to protect Douglas.. Instead, the action is anti-Douglas and whatever Douglas was doing to keep Saleh aboard was being discarded now... so Woody kept him out.  Whether Woody drops the axe on JD will be determined with how fat into the playoffs this "talented" team takes us.  

• Upvote 1

"Offense has been a challenge .. more than a challenge" - Woody Johnson

"We need to find ways to win. We're not going to find those ways doing the same thing over and over and over."  - Woody Johnson

So let's fire the HC who runs the defense and then put, yet another, DC/first time HC in charge.

This guy is beyond clown at this point - could be an SNL skit.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

What an indictment that Saleh “positive vibes only” was replaced to bring more positivity to the team. Like I said, forced positivity becomes toxic every time. You could see it in the media responses. You could see it in the quiet quitting performances. 

This was a good decision. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Implied in Woody's comments: Joe Douglas is safe.

Shielded Douglas from getting his hands dirty + massaged his big bald head over how talented he thinks the roster is + lends an effort to get Reddick in.

If it was otherwise, he may as well have canned Douglas at the same time, seeing how the only lingering GM moves left are a potential Adams trade and getting Reddick to show up. The former is in play because of Rodgers not Douglas, and the latter was already unresolved for 6 months and counting with Douglas at the helm, so it's not like Douglas is of singular importance in terms of those two players suiting up for the Jets. Other than that... what's the other big move that an interim GM really couldn't handle? So it's just a guess but Douglas seems safe. 

Then again I thought Saleh would just tread water for the rest of the season, so there's that. 

It’s not like it’s just the aptly named Woody Johnson saying that, the strength of the Jets’ roster was talked about extensively in national NFL news this offseason. And he put that roster together while carrying $56M in dead cap - or about 20% of the team’s total cap. Woody should extend Joe Douglas right now in an effort to suggest that there might actually be a little continuity with this dysfunctional franchise. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

What an indictment that Saleh “positive vibes only” was replaced to bring more positivity to the team. Like I said, forced positivity becomes toxic every time. You could see it in the media responses. You could see it in the quiet quitting performances. 

This was a good decision. 

Part of me thinks Saleh is relieved to be done... I think he was in over his head... when he was hired we all thought it was great the passion he showed on the side line, but then we found that was about all he brought to the table... no real coaching in game...no real discipline... those are the things that need to change... 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I read it the other way. Excluding the GM from the decision isn't to protect Douglas.. Instead, the action is anti-Douglas and whatever Douglas was doing to keep Saleh aboard was being discarded now... so Woody kept him out.  Whether Woody drops the axe on JD will be determined with how fat into the playoffs this "talented" team takes us.  

Meh, I don't know if he really kept Douglas in the dark or if he's just covering for him. 

Cooing about how talented the roster is - and how a 2-3 record is unacceptable for this roster - speaks to his opinion on his view of Douglas's performance.

Has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with him; just how it looks to me. But again, I didn't think Woody was firing Saleh either. 

3 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Feels like Woody grew up a little bit today. Nice to see him moving/talking with conviction and trying to be proactive. It’s a new look for him 

Please.  Woody has been subjecting us to this for years.  He's sitting in a luxury box with his rich friends and gets embarrassed by the team.  No plan on how to go forward.  Doesn't consult with his GM and I suspect he didn't consult with Ulrich prior to doing it.  Letting Hackett stay sends a message to the fan base and the team.  Ulrich has zero control over Rodgers or the O going forward.  

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh, I don't know if he really kept Douglas in the dark or if he's just covering for him. 

Cooing about how talented the roster is - and how a 2-3 record is unacceptable for this roster - speaks to his opinion on his view of Douglas's performance.

Has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with him; just how it looks to me. But again, I didn't think Woody was firing Saleh either. 

the truth would be known within NFL walls and Douglas would look foolish if it were Woody covering.  Pretty clear to me that he was excluded because he has no authority or control over the HC, just as always.  The idea of Saleh reporting to JD was a big fat lie from the very beginning.  All Woody.  JDs ass will be gone without x number of playoff wins in Woody's small mind.

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol you posted this after I started making the one right above saying the exact opposite

:beer_Orcish:

Just read it and interesting take

my mind did not go in that direction 

why I took the road I did was woody saying I have been thinking about this for years. I did not hear the quote but that is what is reported 

if that is the case someone convinced him not to - my assumption jd

now 5 weeks in and he pulls the trigger and makes sure to say it is his decision 

does not even say he had a conversation with joe

i guess one of our takes will be close

mt record lately don’t bet on me

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Dcat said:

ha ha but actually the implication I think, is the opposite.  Excluding Douglas is a very loud message and his ass is definitely on the line but gets the luxury of being able to change that the rest of the season.

That was strange but maybe woody is trying to spare his gm the wrath of the media and even the players.

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Please.  Woody has been subjecting us to this for years.  He's sitting in a luxury box with his rich friends and gets embarrassed by the team. 

SO ... it was payback.

I think Saleh should have been fired within minutes of feeling the need to dumb down the cadence. He does not challenge the players, at all, and it's shown up on the field the entirety of his tenure.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Dcat said:

I have no doubt at all that most of the players are delighted

That’s interesting because all I’ve heard/read is all the love Bobby had for the players and all the love each player had for each other.  Frankly I don’t have much doubt Bobby wasn’t “loved” by the players, and not just Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

What Woody probably spoke to ARod about is the fact that something will change with Hackett, leaving out the fact that they plan to fire RS. Now that RS is gone, it paves the way or Ulrich to change how Hackett is being used by the org. That's how I read it. I expect to see something to the effect of Hackett not calling plays or something...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sackdance said:

SO ... it was payback.

I think Saleh should have been fired within minutes of feeling the need to dumb down the cadence. He does not challenge the players, at all, and it's shown up on the field the entirety of his tenure.

Saleh should have been fired 2 years ago.  

4 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Very true

wild take but if jd was set against this would he resign?

if you reverse Saleh's W-L record maybe. He's lost almost twice as many games as he has won.

33 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Woody wanted to fire saleh in the off-season jd convinced him not to

woody wanted to fire saleh after this past weekend jd was not in agreement so wiody fave him the old f u and did it anyway

Makes you wonder about all the Woody Saleh riff rumors we've had for the longest.........

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

That’s interesting because all I’ve heard/read is all the love Bobby had for the players and all the love each player had for each other.  Frankly I don’t have much doubt Bobby wasn’t “loved” by the players, and not just Rodgers.

Not one offensive player could have been happy with Saleh and probably still not happy due to Hackett.

This is all complicated further by the Davante situation.

Supposedly, JD is still on the phone working on a deal.

But now Woody also wants Ulbrich to assess the offensive situation, with an eye on making changes as soon as next week.

How do you assume that Ulbrich and his new arrangement will land on Davante being part of that equation right now?

Jets going to Jet.

• WTF? 1

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If he believed that strongly in Douglas job he would already be extended instead of being a lame duck though would he not?

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Not one offensive player could have been happy with Saleh and probably still not happy due to Hackett.

We’ll see soon enough what happens to Hackett.  Do they bring in a consultant? Do they relieve him of play calling duties?  Maybe the qb coach can call the plays.  Maybe they put Hackett up in the booth.