Reddicks’s Agent Fires Him

5 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Where are you getting this from? That was my understanding as well, but this explanation from Jets X-Factor suggests otherwise.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/09/25/ny-jets-rules-haason-reddick-holdout/

Normally, players need to be on the team for at least 6 games in a season for that year to count towards their contract.

Reddick’s holdout falls under a different set of rules in the NFL’s CBA. When a player is holding out, the situation is governed by the contract tolling provision in Appendix A, Section 16 of the CBA. In this case, the player needs to be rostered for at least 50% of the season (which is 9 games or weeks) for that year to count, or the contract will “toll” into the next season.

If he doesn’t report by Week 10, his contract won’t expire after this season, and he’ll be stuck under contract with the Jets for another year.

So, to become a free agent in 2025, Reddick needs to be back by Week 10.

That’s my understanding anyway, and it was confirmed via an email I sent to the author of the article.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think it's that it used to be week 10 - whether or not that's meant to mean the team's game 10 - back when it was a 16-game season (e.g. when Vincent Jackson held out for San Diego iirc). If it was counting weeks then contracts would be different for one team than another (if one team's bye week was much later week 11 vs another when it's in the first 10 weeks); it has to be the same for every team.

Really it's best to use the actual text of the CBA better than someone's editorialization of what the CBA says:

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/8/section/1

For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, a player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games (which shall include any games encompassed in any injury settlement, injury grievance settlement or injury grievance award), but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice Squad.

Full pay status would include not only if the player was playing/active, but also if he was not playing because he's inactive or on IR outright due to injury; those games would still count.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

🤷‍♂️

Lee O. Valentin @leeovalentin

Management fees adding up and he prolly hasn’t paid

CAA is huge so they don’t want this to reflect poorly on them and deter future clients. It’s foul they hanging him out to dry like this but it’s a cold bidness

I've fired a bunch of clients over the years and I would bet, as much as the money, it is just as much that it is exhausting dealing with crazy or unreasonable clients that won't take your advice.  Also, it is working out so poorly, they wanted to make clear to the outside world that they weren't driving the truck.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Biggs said:

That's gibberish.   Reddick isn't a slave.  He's not playing.  He has no obligation to play.  The Jets have no obligation to pay him for not playing.  The only contractual obligation is if he plays.

Lol, no one HAS to drive the speed limit either,  just deal with the consequences. 

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Trading him was (and still is) the most sensible option.

As of today, I’d say it’s a tossup as to whether JD will be around next year to make that decision, however.

Having given up a third round pick in 2026, they’ve in effect given up nothing at this point. Holding onto him until he either plays or they can recoup that pick (or better) makes more sense than just unloading him for whatever scraps they could get today. If Reddick is so thick-headed as to allow his contract to toll, I’d expect him to be traded next winter when teams have draft picks and cap space to make the move. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Trading him was (and still is) the most sensible option.

As of today, I’d say it’s a tossup as to whether JD will be around next year to make that decision, however.

Valid - however, when the owner comes out and publicly states this is the most talented roster in his 25 yrs as owner.......

Here's an angle - Maybe Douglas wants to be a FA GM?  Yes, I know that's a streeeeeetch. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

Reddick is not a distraction to the Jets because he never was a Jet. We as fans discuss and have fun with it but it doesn’t resonate inside the walls at Florham Park.

That said, I do believe the Jets would trade him for the right compensation, but I think they never would just release him.

Why would they release him?  They don't have to pay him because he didn't show up for work.  Despite his apparent insanity, his rights are worth something, as ten sack a year guys don't grow on trees.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Having given up a third round pick in 2026, they’ve in effect given up nothing at this point. Holding onto him until he either plays or they can recoup that pick (or better) makes more sense than just unloading him for whatever scraps they could get today. If Reddick is so thick-headed as to allow his contract to toll, I’d expect him to be traded next winter when teams have draft picks and cap space to make the move. 

I agree. 
In their defense, the only mistake the Jets made here is not agreeing to a deal with him before the trade was completed. I don’t think anyone thought Reddick would be this stubborn though… I don’t blame them for that.
It’s more a by product of a veteran player who’s earned $50 mil being in a financial position to withhold his services than a team’s incompetence.

Once this holdout became a thing, it was never going to be easy to find a team that would be able to a. Trade for him and b. Have the space to give him that new deal.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Why would they release him?  They don't have to pay him because he didn't show up for work.  Despite his apparent insanity, his rights are worth something, as ten sack a year guys don't grow on trees.

I agree. I said they never would just release him.

• Upvote 1

I hope this most recent Hassan Reddick story arc has put to rest the idea that there will be plenty of GMs ready and willing to bid for his services once he becomes available.  That somehow it can be spun as a specific problem between the Jets front office and Reddick.

No GM will invest a penny in this guy beyond single year deals at lower money per year and even then with enhanced protections clauses for the team in case the player decides to once again violate the terms of deal he signs.

Yes, CAA jumped off the burning ship here but they were his official representation during the time that the fire started and took hold so they do not escape from all of this without collateral damage to their own reputation.  Agents are supposed to protect their clients from themselves too you know.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Asymmetrical said:

the Jets gave up what is looking like it's going to be a pretty high 3rd round draft pick to get this guy into the mix lol

I blame the Jets for a lot. But you can't predict people being historically stupid. 99% of people reneg to get some more guaranteed money and play hard to get more money in free agency next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He wants a new contract. Do you really think he's going to be loafing?

I do - if Reddick didn't have that in him, he probably would have sucked it up and reported by now. He's clearly got a really bad attitude, not sure where the limit is with that but I guess we may find out one day

1 hour ago, Arsis said:

I blame the Jets for a lot. But you can't predict people being historically stupid. 99% of people reneg to get some more guaranteed money and play hard to get more money in free agency next year.

Yep, idiocy is just as unpredictable a human behavior there is. 

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Taking a year off at his age is a big risk.  Leveon, for one, was never the same after sitting out a year.  I don't think it's a given that he'll be a ten sack a year guy when and if he does come back for the Jets or someone else.

He doesn't need to be - he just needs to convince one team that he MAY be, and get that next contract.

And there will always be a team willing to be that 'smart' team that zigged when everyone else zagged.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think it's that it used to be week 10 - whether or not that's meant to mean the team's game 10 - back when it was a 16-game season (e.g. when Vincent Jackson held out for San Diego iirc). If it was counting weeks then contracts would be different for one team than another (if one team's bye week was much later week 11 vs another when it's in the first 10 weeks); it has to be the same for every team.

Really it's best to use the actual text of the CBA better than someone's editorialization of what the CBA says:

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/8/section/1

For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, a player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games (which shall include any games encompassed in any injury settlement, injury grievance settlement or injury grievance award), but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice Squad.

Full pay status would include not only if the player was playing/active, but also if he was not playing because he's inactive or on IR outright due to injury; those games would still count.

What you’re saying is correct under normal circumstances (e.g., once a player plays six games, they have accrued a full season under the CBA).

But when a player holds out, they’re subject to Appendix A, section 16 of the CBA:

Image1728662704.008904.thumb.jpg.532f16a196e84fdbbbe833908f6d7319.jpg

If Reddick holds out, his contract will extend for a period of time = to the number of seasons (to the nearest multiple of 1). So if he played 6 games, that would = 0 seasons. 

But if he plays 9 games, that would be = to one season.

The Jets bye in week 12 certainly complicates things, but my understanding is that you need to be on the roster for it to count as a game.

Regardless, based on how I’m interpreting this, it’s either week 9 — or week 10 at the latest that he needs to report, and not week 13.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/website/PDFs/CBA/March-15-2020-NFL-NFLPA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement-Final-Executed-Copy.pdf

What doesn’t make logical sense to me is that if Reddick had just showed up for the start of the season and played six games, he would have accrued his full season and could have just walked away in week 7 and become a FA for 2025.

But, by holding out, I *believe* he triggered Appendix A, section 16 which now requires him to play in more than 50% of the games to earn his accrued season to get to FA. 

I’m not a lawyer but this is my understanding - and it’s very possible, if not likely, that I am wrong.

But just my two cents. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I've fired a bunch of clients over the years and I would bet, as much as the money, it is just as much that it is exhausting dealing with crazy or unreasonable clients that won't take your advice.  Also, it is working out so poorly, they wanted to make clear to the outside world that they weren't driving the truck.

it's bad faith that they are exposing. someone is accused of it. CAA is like "not it." Reddick is the one playing brinkmanship, basically using the agency as cover for his all or nothing demands. They may have been fine with it for a time but sometimes negotiating positions have a fuse attached and a timer counting down.

Jets may have thrown a gauntlet at the agents ... Agents play hard but want to have a relationship with the teams ... Reddick sounds like a knucklehead that overvalues himself and dug in ... Agents were like yeah
. No thanks

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

What you’re saying is correct under normal circumstances (e.g., once a player plays six games, they have accrued a full season under the CBA).

But when a player holds out, they’re subject to Appendix A, section 16 of the CBA:

Image1728662704.008904.thumb.jpg.532f16a196e84fdbbbe833908f6d7319.jpg

If Reddick holds out, his contract will extend for a period of time = to the number of seasons (to the nearest multiple of 1). So if he played 6 games, that would = 0 seasons. 

But if he plays 9 games, that would be = to one season.

The Jets bye in week 12 certainly complicates things, but my understanding is that you need to be on the roster for it to count as a game.

Regardless, based on how I’m interpreting this, it’s either week 9 — or week 10 at the latest that he needs to report, and not week 13.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/website/PDFs/CBA/March-15-2020-NFL-NFLPA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement-Final-Executed-Copy.pdf

What doesn’t make logical sense to me is that if Reddick had just showed up for the start of the season and played six games, he would have accrued his full season and could have just walked away in week 7 and become a FA for 2025.

But, by holding out, I *believe* he triggered Appendix A, section 16 which now requires him to play in more than 50% of the games to earn his accrued season to get to FA. 

I’m not a lawyer but this is my understanding - and it’s very possible, if not likely, that I am wrong.

But just my two cents. 

I'm not following why, from the CBA clause you highlighted, 9 games (or >50% of the games), rather than the 6 stated elsewhere in the CBA, would be required to count as an accrued season. 

Unless I see a clause that says otherwise, I'm going to go with what I pasted above from the CBA: at least 6 eligible games = an accrued season.

Interesting idea about Reddick potentially holding out after the first 6 games (or if he shows up now and then quits after 6 games). It seems yes he'd be able to do that, though he'd effectively be playing those 6 games for free, but he'd still be a UFA after the season. Never heard of anyone doing that, but 6 games is 6 games; doesn't say anywhere which 6 games.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

He doesn't need to be - he just needs to convince one team that he MAY be, and get that next contract.

And there will always be a team willing to be that 'smart' team that zigged when everyone else zagged.

Agree - but he is already with that team.

Agree - but he is already with that team.
Now, yes - we were that team this year. But another team will show up next year, convinced they can get him back to what he was before those stupid Jets messed him around so badly.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm not following why, from the CBA clause you highlighted, 9 games (or >50% of the games), rather than the 6 stated elsewhere in the CBA, would be required to count as an accrued season. 

Unless I see a clause that says otherwise, I'm going to go with what I pasted above from the CBA: at least 6 eligible games = an accrued season.

Interesting idea about Reddick potentially holding out after the first 6 games (or if he shows up now and then quits after 6 games). It seems yes he'd be able to do that, though he'd effectively be playing those 6 games for free, but he'd still be a UFA after the season. Never heard of anyone doing that, but 6 games is 6 games; doesn't say anywhere which 6 games.

I get where you're coming from regarding the standard 6-game rule for accruing a season. But I think the reason the CBA requires more than 50% of the season (9 games) for holdouts is to prevent players from strategically sitting out most of the season, then coming back just to play the bare minimum.

The way it's drafted seems to protect teams from players holding out, returning late, and still getting full credit for the year. If the regular 6-game rule applied during holdouts, players could hold out until Week 10 or later, show up, play 6 games, and still get a full season accrued. The CBA likely forces a player in a holdout situation to play at least 9 games so the team still gets a meaningful contribution.

It seems like a way to balance player rights with team interests, so players can't game the system, and teams still get something in return.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Haven't followed all the posts here and might have missed...Is the 6 games identified for just those w/less than 3 accrued seasons?  I'm not an attorney / expert but when I looked for all this a few weeks ago this was where I only found the 6 games designation.

VETERANS WITH FEWER THAN THREE ACCRUED SEASONS

Section 1. Accrued Seasons Calculation: (a) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, a player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games (which shall include any games encompassed in any injury settlement, injury grievance settlement or injury grievance award), but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice Squad

This story has gone from, "LOL, Jets" to, "What the hell is going on with Hasson Reddick?"

Guy is essentially ending his career. If that's his intention, just retire. Nobody would bat an eye in the era of CTE Awareness.

The whole situation is just absurd now.