So, how the hell are we gonna beat the Chargers?

ZachEY

I think we match up very well with them and will win this game.

They're 31st in running, and 5th in passing on Offense, and we're 8th agains the rush, 1st against the pass on Defense. We are at the best shutting teams down when they're droping back and passing the ball. Our weakness, as shown by Cedric Benson last night, is our run defense and Tomlinson and Sproles have not ran the ball well this year at all.

We're 1st in running, and they're 20th in rushing Defense, meaning we should be able to move the ball pretty well on the ground with a heavy dose of Shonn Greene with some Thomas Jones sprinkled in.

Honestly, we match up VERY well with San Diego and Indianapolis as long as we are able to get to the Quarterback with some consistency, while we're mirror images with Baltimore. Baltimore could be our toughest test of the entire playoffs, but luckily if we have to play them it will be at the Meadowlands.

Plus...... Norv Turner is their coach. :rl:

You make some good points. I hope you're right!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Jets Run O is pretty scary. The Chargers play a style of D that is pretty aggravating at times. They mainly try to not allow the big play. They give up a lot of yards, but once they get backed down to the 30 or so, they play tight. Take away the first 5 games of the season, and the Chargers are one of the best Scoring D's in the league.

My hands are getting sweaty reading the confidence you guys have here. I really don't think I could stand another great regular season just to lose in the first round.

I'm calling it a Chargers win, but what kind of fan would I be if I didn't?

My heart says Jets beat the Cowboys in SB like a few other dreamers here, but my head says we'll be watching you play the Colts for the AFC title...

I just hope Rivers's breaks his leg this week somehow, maybe tripping on the beach or surfing... :D

You just ride Phillip Rivers' nuts. That's why you don't feel good about it. ;)

And as for how we're going to win? Here are the 4 answers you're looking for.

1. Rex Ryan

2. Darrelle Revis

3. Our OLine

4. Shonn Greene

I've loved Rivers most of all 4 a long time.. :D

I think at the end of the day we need to keep the game close and manageable. If we get behind quickly it could get ugly....

The bottom line is that the Jets need to be the one to set the tempo of this game. Obviously the Jets need to do what they do and run a ball control offense; run the ball, get some first downs, eat up the clock and maintain possession. But furthermore, the Jets defense needs to force the Chargers to play the same kind of game. If the Chargers can turn around and put up a quick score after a long Jets drive, it will mean nothing and can turn into a similar situation as that Colts/Dolphins laugh-o-rama at the beginning of the year.

But if the Jets can take away the quick-strike capability away from the Chargers, as much they'll probably have struggles with Gates and some of their secondary receivers, it'll be a situation where a couple of well timed plays can end drives. If the Jets can force the Chargers to play their style of game, they'll be able to hang with them and at that point it will come down to one thing: turnovers. When the Jets win that turnover battle, they win games. And with the Jets two biggest culprits, Sanchez and Greene, showing signs of being past their problems its a very attainable goal.

I just hope Rivers's breaks his leg this week somehow, maybe tripping on the beach or surfing... :D

First of all, even though that was clearly in jest, never root for an opposing team's star player to get hurt. It's "bad karma" and even a win just doesn't taste the same when you aren't beating someone at their best.

Think 'Bama fans don't have a SMALL part of their brains saying that their win over Texas would have been a LOT sweeter had McCoy not gotten hurt in the first series?

Secondly, Billy Volek is a very capable backup. He led the Chargers to a win in week 17 (against the Redskins, but still), and early in the game, I thought for a second that it was Rivers in there and not him. He's no Curtis Painter.

The bottom line is that the Jets need to be the one to set the tempo of this game. Obviously the Jets need to do what they do and run a ball control offense; run the ball, get some first downs, eat up the clock and maintain possession. But furthermore, the Jets defense needs to force the Chargers to play the same kind of game. If the Chargers can turn around and put up a quick score after a long Jets drive, it will mean nothing and can turn into a similar situation as that Colts/Dolphins laugh-o-rama at the beginning of the year.

But if the Jets can take away the quick-strike capability away from the Chargers, as much they'll probably have struggles with Gates and some of their secondary receivers, it'll be a situation where a couple of well timed plays can end drives. If the Jets can force the Chargers to play their style of game, they'll be able to hang with them and at that point it will come down to one thing: turnovers. When the Jets win that turnover battle, they win games. And with the Jets two biggest culprits, Sanchez and Greene, showing signs of being past their problems its a very attainable goal.

Did you have to say that..

Great post and all, but the Jets played Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Bees.

lol yeah. And Carson Palmer had a down year but he is actually pretty smart too. He was just making really bad throws and that offense isn't really a pass offense anymore. The Bengals will probably realize how bad their philosophy is, get another WR and go back to airing it out like they did in years past. I don't know if even that will help them get into the playoffs next year though, the Steelers and Ravens probably take care of that.

Quite honestly, Rivers is pretty damn overrated right now. He is not in Peyton Manning's league at all, but people are acting like the Chargers are unbeatable. The Jets might not win, but the Chargers are an easier out than the Colts are. Fortunately the Ravens will take care of that little hurdle for us.

I think the Jets beat teams that, on average, had better records than the teams the Chargers beat. I played with some numbers, to try and determine the comparitive "quality" of our wins vs theirs.

For all their wins, I wrote down the opponent's record. 5/11,6/10 etc.

Then I averaged the wins/losses.

The teams SD beat have an "averaged" record of: 6.9/9.3 or 42%.

The jets had fewer wins, but we can still compare the average record of the teams we vanquished. The teams we beat had an average record of:

8.3/8 or 50%

So...They won more games against worse teams.

Doubt the Indy win? No problem, we'll throw it out. This changes our number to:

7.66/8.66 or 46.9%

Our number is still better.

We MUST win the field position battle, this means good punts and GREAT kick coverage.

Revis will do his thing, but we cannot let them exploit Kerry Rhodes. Meaning we have to find a way to shut down Gates. Rhodes is terribly slow, takes bad angles and doesn't wrap up to tackle... he is a liability.

We also cannot let them exploit our 3rd CB... once again we watched the combination of Lowery and Coleman be a step late most of the game. Good enough to make the tackle right after the reception, is not good enough to win this game. It's a good thing most of Palmer's throws were off last week. Sproles, Nanee and Malcolm Floyd are much better than Caldwell and Coles.

We cannot allow 150+ rushing yards... this surprised me this week, and fortunately it didn't kill us.

We MUST get to Rivers. He doesn't get rattled easily, so we need to actually sack him to end plays... just getting pressure won't get it done.

Schotty needs to keep calling plays like he did last week. I can't believe it took until the week 17 game for slants and screen passes to finally make their way into our game plan.

Sanchez, the O-line and the RBs just needs to keep on shining.

The Return of Hardwick has already showed improvement. We had a good pass blocker as his replacement, but he was garbage at run blocking.

To tell you the truth we probably pass on 70%+ on first down anyways.

I looked into the numbers and if you take away our first 5 games, the Chargers D give up 16.7 pts per game, which would have been 4th in the league, if they could have sustained it all year.

All I know is that this is going to be one of the longest weeks of my life.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. The Jets are a great team but they are light years behind the Chargers in terms of offensive production. Phillip Rivers seems to generate touchdowns by his will alone at times. And your defense isn't half bad, either. Plus you're in your own building.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. The Jets are a great team but they are light years behind the Chargers in terms of offensive production. Phillip Rivers seems to generate touchdowns by his will alone at times. And your defense isn't half bad, either. Plus you're in your own building.

It's sad the way you toy with the kid, really sad.

We may be light-years behind the Chargers when it comes to offense, but we're light-years ahead of the entire NFL when it comes to STOPPING THE PASS, and our offense has been playing VERY well late, if you haven't noticed.

Our front 7 > Their OL

We should use that, because they're very comfortable throwing the ball. There's like 6-7 guys they can throw to, and Gates (6'4), Jackson (6'5), Floyd (6'5), and Osgood (6'5) are tall as hell.

Have to get to Rivers to do that, and we have Rexgenius planning to do just that. I think Pace shows up, and maybe just maybe Gholston plays and blitzes more (he played more than usual Sunday).

If we can get to Rivers, then we play our game on offense and hope special teams doesn't really hurt us.

Winners of 11 in a row...

QB playing at an elite level...

Our shutdown corner giving up 6 inches to their top WR...

4th in Points per game...

Can we hold them under 24 points?

#1. Vincent Jackson has booked his ticket to Revis Island.

#2. Keep LT, Gates and the Chargers out of redzone situations.

#3. Run the rock with Greene.

#4. Braylon is borrowing Fitzgeralds hands next week.

#5. Run the rock with Jones.

#6. Show San Diego that we have a Tight End game as well.

#7. Defensive line has to apply pressue without the Blitz so much. Punch Rivers in the mouth.

#8. The "Island that is Lowery" will be the deciding factor.

#1. Vincent Jackson has booked his ticket to Revis Island.

#2. Keep LT, Gates and the Chargers out of redzone situations.

#3. Run the rock with Greene.

#4. Braylon is borrowing Fitzgeralds hands next week.

#5. Run the rock with Jones.

#6. Show San Diego that we have a Tight End game as well.

#7. Defensive line has to apply pressue without the Blitz so much. Punch Rivers in the mouth.

#8. The "Island that is Lowery" will be the deciding factor.

Lowery is more of a busy suburb so hopefully he'll get a little safety help.

It's a worrying game, but it's not too different to Indy. Rhodes needs the game of his life on Gates. Like Yellin I'm not too confident Revis will "shut down" Jackson. He's one of the best in the game and interestingly enough he's the one WR in this league who Nnamdi Asomugha consistently has issues against. He should be able to contain him if nothing else. I read someone say in this thread that Rivers is too smart to go after Revis? He is though enough of a douchebag to do so.

To win this game we need to keep it close. If they get out to a fast start, maybe get 14 points on us then IMO we're done. Need to run the ball, pick our spots with Sanchez and put up points consistently. We're not beating Rivers in a shoot out though, so we may hope to God that our defense has their best game of the season.

According to Chargers fans they have all these offensive weapons that are going to PWN us.

The only thing about their offense that scares me is:

- Antonio Gates vs Kerrry Rhodes.

- Darren Sproles getting dumpoff passes from Rivers when we blitz 5-to-7 players.

They cannot run the football effecitvely, Darrelle Revis will shut down Vincent Jackson, and I have no doubt that the tandem of Lito Sheppard, Donald Strickland, and Dwight Lowery will do a very good job against Malcom Floyd (who?) and Lagadu Nanee (who?)

The only thing about their offense that scares me is:

- Antonio Gates vs Kerrry Rhodes.

- Darren Sproles getting dumpoff passes from Rivers when we blitz 5-to-7 players.

They cannot run the football effecitvely, Darrelle Revis will shut down Vincent Jackson, and I have no doubt that the tandem of Lito Sheppard, Donald Strickland, and Dwight Lowery will do a very good job against Malcom Floyd (who?) and Lagadu Nanee (who?)

Agree and I would throw in Sproles on returns as a concern with the way our coverage has been.

But their rush offense and rush defense are a little worse than you thought. Their ranks are higher based on gross yards over 16 games. 3.3 ypa on offense (#32/32) and 4.5 ypa on defense (#24/32).

Their passing offense, per pass attempt, is better than merely calling it "top 5" and stopping there. It's only #5 overall because they don't need to pass that much. 23rd in pass attempts and 5th in pass yards = #1 in yards per attempt (8.8). From that standpoint, with our pass defense giving up an almost invisible 4.6 ypa, it will be #1 vs #1. Barring the unexpected like defense or special teams TD's, their pass offense vs our pass defense is the whole matchup right there. We keep that in check and we win. If not, we have to put Sanchez into a shootout with Rivers and no one realistically wants that.

Keep Rivers off the field as much as possible - even in his bad games he's still deadly. Need some 3 and out's meaning our rush D has to be in total lockdown mode from start to finish, and our OL has to keep making enough holes to keep the chains moving on the ground.

They're outstanding, and if they're not the best team in the league right now they're close enough to it that it doesn't matter. But this is absolutely a winnable game.

Hey, the road to the superbowl this year was never going to go through St. Louis and Detroit.

It's a worrying game, but it's not too different to Indy. Rhodes needs the game of his life on Gates. Like Yellin I'm not too confident Revis will "shut down" Jackson. He's one of the best in the game and interestingly enough he's the one WR in this league who Nnamdi Asomugha consistently has issues against. He should be able to contain him if nothing else. I read someone say in this thread that Rivers is too smart to go after Revis? He is though enough of a douchebag to do so.

Revis v Jackson should be fun to watch.. We never really got to see Andre Johnson cause our pass rush was so ferocious that day, but Revis is a very physical corner (reminds me of law a lot) that I think makes it easier for him to dominate guys like Moss, but jackson is bigger and stronger then him. I'm excited to see it cause as you said, Rivers will go there regardless..

Agree and I would throw in Sproles on returns as a concern with the way our coverage has been.

But their rush offense and rush defense are a little worse than you thought. Their ranks are higher based on gross yards over 16 games. 3.3 ypa on offense (#32/32) and 4.5 ypa on defense (#24/32).

Their passing offense, per pass attempt, is better than merely calling it "top 5" and stopping there. It's only #5 overall because they don't need to pass that much. 23rd in pass attempts and 5th in pass yards = #1 in yards per attempt (8.8). From that standpoint, with our pass defense giving up an almost invisible 4.6 ypa, it will be #1 vs #1. Barring the unexpected like defense or special teams TD's, their pass offense vs our pass defense is the whole matchup right there. We keep that in check and we win. If not, we have to put Sanchez into a shootout with Rivers and no one realistically wants that.

Keep Rivers off the field as much as possible - even in his bad games he's still deadly. Need some 3 and out's meaning our rush D has to be in total lockdown mode from start to finish, and our OL has to keep making enough holes to keep the chains moving on the ground.

They're outstanding, and if they're not the best team in the league right now they're close enough to it that it doesn't matter. But this is absolutely a winnable game.

Hey, the road to the superbowl this year was never going to go through St. Louis and Detroit.

Excellent post SE.

To me it comes down to how effective the Jets can run the ball. If they can run the ball well and get after Rivers he WILL get frustrated because his opportunities will diminish. Last year the Steelers kept the ball out of his hands almost the entire 3rd quarter and he was flustered. But he did put some points up in the 4th.

there's 2 ways we lose imo... Rivers bests our pass defense or we can't run the ball against 7/8 man fronts. Sanchez was great on saturday, but he also had WR's wide open all over the place cause Cinn overcommitted to the run in ways I don't remember seeing too often. That one big keller play before the snap I counted like 9 guys in the box and thought they were crazy if they didn't play action. I think Cinn was so determined not to gashed by the run that they went overboard in it's defense (and still got gashed anyway thanks to green, i think jones would've struggled)

the chargers can't run the ball and they can't stop the run

this is actually a pretty good matchup for the JETS.

I agree.

As mentioned, the key will be if Rivers can shred the Jets pass defense. If he can't, then the Jets have a great shot.

I don't think we have a shot. But I guess anything could happen. Considering how our ST looked last games Sproles could kill us. Floyd and Nanee aren't two bit scrubs, TE Screens will neutralize the blitz.

I honestly think SD is the best team in football right now. Which is why I don't think many teams stand a chance against them. If we beat them that'd be one of the best post-seasons I can remember.

Archived