Recalibrating Expectations

jay_psg

When the season began, I had very low expectations to the Jets. My theory was they had no legitimate starters in skill positions and so cannot score. I was also not sold on Smith or Marty M. I knew d-line will be better but not necessarily the front 7, so I had my expectations for the defense as a slightly above average(in the teens).

I could not watch game 1 because I could not make it in time travelling from a family event, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the jets won although by one point.

Game 2 - I was expecting to be blown away by NE but we hung in there and it took a mistake from Geno(which led to 2 more) to lose. I thought I saw flashes from both sides in bad weather.

After win in Atlanta which again I had no expectations to win, I am recalibrating my expectations for this team.

More than record, I would like to see Geno's,o-line's and the defense's progress. I dont care about the skill players because if all goes well we need to upgrade in all 3 skill positions next year.

As for record, I see 8-8 or 9-7 being achievable and 10-6 being possible. If the team shows enough progress, coaching staff should not be fired. Rex should be given good talent to work with.

Schedule gets tougher. Miami twice (including the season's final game at Miami); Pats at home, Saints at home. Heck, the 0-4 Steelers may not be a gimmie.

We are currently in the hard part of our schedule, after that it gets much easier. @ATL, PIT, NEW, @CIN, and NO was supposed to be our gauntlet and we are 1-0 so far; if we go into the bye week 5-4 I'd be happy, 6-3 enthralled, 7-2 in ecstasy.

We will sweep the Dolphins; mark it down. Tannehill has been sacked 24 times in 5 games, that O-Line cannot protect him and that is why the Dolphins will fade down the stretch. Our D line against their o line will win us both of those games in my view as long as Geno doesn't have a turnover party.

The jets nearly beat NE at NE with a rookie in his second career start. Saying they can beat NE at home isn't a stretch. Pitts a possibility too. 5-2 against NO is very possible. Winning it? Will be all coaching. Top to bottom. Good coaching and get a few TOs

I said around 5 wins and still think that. This team isn't good. They beat a very overrated Atlanta team that even the Fins could beat. The way they played against the Titans is pretty much the talent level of this team.

Not really. Smith turned the ball over 4 times, which handed the Titans, what? 24-28 points? Assuming that Geno doesn't continue to do that, this could be a 7-9 win team. They don't allow many points when they don't turn the ball over/the other team isn't gifted 8 downs per red zone trip.

ETA: plus the competition doesn't look as stiff as i thought it would.

We're a game over .500 and I fully expect plenty of inconsistency over the rest of the season.  Realistically, I am still thinking a lumpy 8-8 or maybe 9-7 at the outside.   If we could somehow sneak into the playoffs and make some noise, I'd be happy.

My opinion hasn't  changed.  Said 10-6 when it looked like Sanchez would start, still think 10-6

10 and 6 is possible, I have said that all along.  We will find out how real those chances are over the next 3 weeks.  If they Jets come out of the next 3 weeks at 2 and 1, 10 wins is real.

Not really. Smith turned the ball over 4 times, which handed the Titans, what? 24-28 points? Assuming that Geno doesn't continue to do that, this could be a 7-9 win team. They don't allow many points when they don't turn the ball over/the other team isn't gifted 8 downs per red zone trip.

ETA: plus the competition doesn't look as stiff as i thought it would.

That's the thing, everyone bases these predictions off of how teams looked last year.  Well newsflash the Jets aren't a 6 win team and the Falcons are no longer a top seed in the NFC.

The Jets weren't a playoff team at the beginning of the season, and I'm sorry to say, still aren't. Geno Smith has shown that he can play in the NFL, and that fact alone has us excited. What I really liked about his performance against the Falcons was that he showed he could do something that Sanchez, unfortunately, never could, and that's learn from his mistakes.

Geno's still a rookie, though, and will continue to have an up and down season. Unlike Sanchez's rookie year in 2009, the Jets don't have a great team around him. Winslow, Powell, Cumberland and Stephen Hill have all played well, but until the Jets get a true playmaker on offense and establish a consistent running game, they're probably going to be 8-8.

8-8 and  heading into a year in which a good amount of cap space will be freed up (I can only assume Sanchez and Homes are on their way out), there's a lot to look forward to.

I'd still be ecstatic with 8-8 and the ship sailing in the right direction.

We're actually exactly where I expected us to be record wise, although I had us beating the Titans and losing big in Atlanta.

I still think the next few weeks will get the better of us. If we come out of the next with even 3 wins, then we have a very good shot at the playoffs. Looking at it realistically, I'm thinking 1-5 or 2-4. It's an incredibly tough run of games, and the Pittsburgh game has been made that much more difficult by the scheduling. 

Can the Jets at least win 2 in a row before we even start to think about adjusting expectations ?

Would it surprise anyone if the Jets went out and lost Sunday to the Steelers ? 

I had no expectations for this team and I will continue to have no expectations. Just entertain me for three hours that is all ask for now.

Can the Jets at least win 2 in a row before we even start to think about adjusting expectations ?

Would it surprise anyone if the Jets went out and lost Sunday to the Steelers ?

I had no expectations for this team and I will continue to have no expectations. Just entertain me for three hours that is all ask for now.

I would not be overly excited.  We still cannot cover a TE. Our secondary is below average.  We lack speed at OLB. Big Ben should have a field day on Sunday.  Prediction  Steelers 34 Jets 14.  Then NE, Cin and NO, I feel ill.

Archived