• Administrators
  • 57,651 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:06 AM

Who is it going to be, Simms or Boyd?

Boyd_Simms.jpg

#2 BurnleyJet

BurnleyJet

Fan for 30 years (You get less for Murder these days!)

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:22 AM

Boyd. Sims had a chance when they benched Smith. He looked cr&p.

#3 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 57,651 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:26 AM

Boyd. Sims had a chance when they benched Smith. He looked cr&p.

I agree.  I just said it would be Boyd as well here:  http://www.jetnation...-vs-matt-simms/

#4 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:27 AM

Is the FO starting a collection of sh*tty quarterbacks??

#5 JetNation

JetNation

Transition Player

• Members
  • 5,811 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:07 AM

Tajh Boyd, Matt SimmsThe NY Jets have 12 new players, courtesy of the NFL Draft.  With their 4th selection in the 6th round they picked Tajh Boyd (QB) from Clemson.  Rex Ryan’s son is a freshman at Clemson and spoke highly of Tajh. Rex Ryan said, “I just think we probably had more of an insight to probably his character with my son being there. My son had a thing about his leadership, Tajh’s leadership. He said he was the leader of that program as far as a player’s concerned. He said if Tajh would have called a meeting at 2:00 AM, the entire football team would have been there.”

To survive as a QB in New York, you need to be a strong leader.  You also need to be a good QB, so the question is what else does Tajh Boyd bring to the table?  Terry Bradway gave this assessment of Boyd, “(He had a) productive college career, really productive. And he really throws the ball well. We were there last spring and they were having spring practice and I was really impressed with how accurate he was throwing the deep ball, more than a lot of quarterbacks I’ve seen. So that was good. His interception-to-touchdown ratio is good.”

Boyd will go into camp with a lot to prove, but the Jets are happy that he was still available in the 6th round. CBS Sports talks about how far Boyd dropped in the draft rankings.

The QB was a likely first-rounder and one of the most talked-to players in college football with the Tigers, until falling from the spotlight with his team’s mid-October 51-14 drubbing by Florida State.  Despite the drop off, Boyd thinks he’ll be selected by the third round. Most projections include him with a group of second-tier passers, many who’ll be available Saturday when teams finish with rounds four through seven

The good news for the Jets is that Boyd will battle Matt Simms for the 3rd QB position.  This competition will have no impact, at least initially, on the starting job.  Last year Matt Simms upset Greg McElroy for the 3rd spot.  Can Matt Simms do it again this year, against a tougher competitor in Boyd?  Simms has the advantage early because he knows the system and has a little NFL game experience.  Boyd will have to show that he can take a snap under center, since he played out of the shotgun extensively at Clemson.

The upside with Boyd seems much higher, so our bet is he will win the 3rd QB job.  Then the Jets have a year to evaluate him and see what his future holds.  Michael Vick is only under contract for one-year.  So the winner of the battle between Simms and Boyd will have a shot to be in the league for a long time.

Tell us who you think will win, we want to hear from you in our New York Jets message board.

#6 deucebag

deucebag

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:07 AM

And all our QBs are black...not saying there's anything wrong with it, just interesting.

#7 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

I would guess that Boyd will be placed on the practice squad for 2014 and Simms would be #3.

#8 Jetfanincanada

Jetfanincanada

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:25 AM

Who cares, I mean really. Neither will ever amount to anything in the NFL.

#9 Irish Jet

Irish Jet

• Members
  • 23,401 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

And all our QBs are black...not saying there's anything wrong with it, just interesting.

It's really not though.

#10 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 17,102 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

the beauty of taking boyd so late is if simms beats him out, he can be stashed on PS or just cut. 

But lets be honest, this was rex's pick and he will have to be just awful not to get a year to develop, and QB's get stolen off of PS's if they are any good so boyd will win hands down

the jets will cut simms as soon as they can so he can catch on somewhere else.  I hope they feature him VS giants in week 3 of PS to get him some more film

Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.

#11 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,510 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

I can't wait to see Nolan Newrocki's preseason forcast

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#12 Thor99

Thor99

Making friends since 1970

• Moderators
  • 18,292 posts
  • LocationLeland, NC

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:01 AM

Did Matt Simms take a bunch of tanning pills to get that scholarship to Harvard?
Look at me
I'm a tangled puppet
I might be a mess
But I sure can survive

#13 kelticwizard

kelticwizard

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Connecticut

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

I think Rex will slightly favor Boyd because of his son, but Simms will play himself onto the roster.  Don't forget, there was some talk about actually starting the season with Simms #1 last year before they gave it to Geno.

Edited by kelticwizard, 11 May 2014 - 09:34 AM.

#14 TuscanyTile2

TuscanyTile2

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

I'm absolutely rooting for Simms, who I think didn't get a fair shake at all last year (he got what - one quarter?).  However, I think Rex likes Tajh so he'll probably be the guy. 

"Now let's go out there and show them we're not a bunch of horses' asses"  - Leon Hess

#15 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,063 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

Boyd is the perfect Scout Team QB (can run Scout Team and the upcoming weeks opponents Offense whether its a Pro-set/Spread/Hybrid to get our Defense properly prepped) and a clone of Geno/Vick. He is a lock to stay

Edited by SouthernJet, 11 May 2014 - 11:08 AM.

Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#16 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

Boyd is the perfect Scout Team QB (can run Scout Team and the upcoming weeks opponents Offense whether its a Pro-set/Spread/Hybrid to get our Defense properly prepped) and a clone of Geno/Vick. He is a lock to stay

The only thing those 3 have in common is their skin color. I wish Geno had Vicks mobility.

Edited by New York Mick, 11 May 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#17 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,093 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

They have the physical ability but do they have the head and work ethic?!!?!?!!?!?

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#18 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

This is turning into a Jimmy The Greek press release.

#19 johnnysd

johnnysd

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Neither. Simms will be cut, and Boyd put on the PS. 

#20 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,063 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

The only thing those 3 have in common is their skin color. I wish Geno had Vicks mobility.

thats not true, none of them are pure ProSet QBs like Simms is.

Posted Image

#21 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,063 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

Neither. Simms will be cut, and Boyd put on the PS. 

agree, unless we carry 4 QBs which is dumb..

Posted Image

#22 itsJETStime

itsJETStime

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

I like how 3/4 of our QBs are black when most NFL teams don't even have one ..... I hope Boyd becomes a steal and develops into a very good QB who can start or back up Geno and when we need him in we don't lose a beat

#23 CobraVerde

CobraVerde

Taunting TGG Authority

• Members
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

Matt Simms will prove to be the clear choice for STARTING QB but once again politics and media will prevent him from doing so thus dropping him to the 3..

Posted Image
http://www.soundcloud.com/pmcrw
http://www.friendsinsquareplaces.com

#24 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 14,170 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

thats not true, none of them are pure ProSet QBs like Simms is.

Which is why I expect Simms makes the roster, Boyd goes to the PS.

If they cuts Simms, he will be scooped up in about 30 seconds, probably by the Jints. Arms like that are uncommon.

Edited by Bugg, 11 May 2014 - 02:47 PM.

Objective-Glendale, Arizona

Super Bowl 49-February, 2015

#25 The Mytee Markjets

The Mytee Markjets

New Kid On The Block

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

Well , your honesty is refreshing.  I get so sick of hearing the old standby... " He's  an Athletic" or "Running"QB!    Thanks for stating the obvious.  that said, I really  like Matt Simms!!!  He's young, great arm, confident,and got an "IT" factor. We'd be crazyy to let him go!!!You can see it when he plays. Remeber, hes learning on the fly too!  Keep the other guy for my money,  which its not...but a guy can dream can't he? .......GO JETS !!!  :box:

'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users