Acceptable Candidates

KRL

I don't know that anyone is suggesting a scout be promoted to the GM job. But yeah, the next GM should come from the personnel side of things. Director of Scouting, Personnel Director, that sort of thing. The top guy, the whose name goes on every draft pick, needs to have the ability to evaluate talent himself. He needs to be able to look at a couple different scouting reports, and be able to make a determination - rather than relying on underlings for that. There are probably 1000 accountants for every qualified personnel guy who could come in as an assistant GM in charge of the money side of things. Having a money guy in charge with assistants who do the personnel work is ass-backwards.

The fact that the Jets finalists last time were two accountants kinda scares me. I hope they approach the search differently this time and get a personnel guy in here.

Yes, I agree. Enough with cap/accountant GM. The lifeline of a team and key to long term success is the Draft along with smart FA signings as needed.  Hire an accountant/contract guy to handle the money side.

I disagree with the thought the Jets job is undesirable. The incoming GM (assuming idzik and rex are fired), will have plenty of cap space, high draft picks, and the ability to make a team the way he see fit. There are some useful pieces and solid d-line already in place.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know that anyone is suggesting a scout be promoted to the GM job. But yeah, the next GM should come from the personnel side of things. Director of Scouting, Personnel Director, that sort of thing. The top guy, the whose name goes on every draft pick, needs to have the ability to evaluate talent himself. He needs to be able to look at a couple different scouting reports, and be able to make a determination - rather than relying on underlings for that. There are probably 1000 accountants for every qualified personnel guy who could come in as an assistant GM in charge of the money side of things. Having a money guy in charge with assistants who do the personnel work is ass-backwards.

The fact that the Jets finalists last time were two accountants kinda scares me. I hope they approach the search differently this time and get a personnel guy in here.

Well, KRL kind of did. I mean when you put up GM candidates that are Scouts...I just don't see it.

Anyway, for us I think the best and ultimate way to re-build this team and start over, with the best possible staff etc. is to hire a big name HC and let him run this team. Le thim headcoach and GM this team. Because that's what it's gonna take to land one of those premier headcoaches out there. Bill Cowher would be one, or Jim Harbaugh. That way you have a top notch headcoach with enough experience to actually run a team. He can do whatever he wants without having to deal with some idiot upstairs that won't get him this guy or that guy in free agency, who's gonna tell him to start player X at QB instead of player Y.

Woddy will hire a coach who has had success being a head coach in the nfl and is an offensive guy. Mike Shannen will be named coach and given full control of this franchise.

Woody will prop Mike and his 2 super bowl rings up at the press conference and tell us all we have a proven, super bowl winning coach running the ship.

If you think we are hiring any college or 1st time nfl head coaches you are crazy. Get ready for shannahanagins.

Hope not...

Good post, a couple of these guys I know nothing about. I always appreciate the thought you put into this stuff though.

Question about Lazor, I know nothing about him, and am assuming his highest post has been OC, does it really make sense to let choosing Mariota dictate our next HC hire? Perhaps knowing Kelly's offense + choosing Mariota is the only thing that makes Lazor a candidate, doesn't that put us in an "over-promoted coordinator running the show" situation again?

I'm mostly curious about candidates that have experience head coaching at the NFL/NCAA level, or have shown the aptitude for it, and I'm less interested in candidates that may offer some sort of connection to a draft pick.

Lazor worked with Foles in Philly as the QB coach and Foles had a 27-2 TD to Int ratio, when Lazor Foles fell off some. LAZOR Then went to Miami as the OC and really helped out Tannehill and has been impressive as an OC.

Woddy will hire a coach who has had success being a head coach in the nfl and is an offensive guy. Mike Shannen will be named coach and given full control of this franchise.

Woody will prop Mike and his 2 super bowl rings up at the press conference and tell us all we have a proven, super bowl winning coach running the ship.

If you think we are hiring any college or 1st time nfl head coaches you are crazy. Get ready for shannahanagins.

Rumor is Shanny is going to the Bears to reunite with Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall.

Before "Black Monday" gets here and Woody reveals his plan here are my acceptable

candidates for the GM & HC spots:

GM

All of these candidates are from teams that consistently draft well and when they

lose free agents they continue to maintain their talent base

- Eric DeCosta (BAL Asst. GM)

- Vince Newsome (BAL Dir. Pro Personnel)

- Joe Horitz (BAL Dir. College Scouting)

- Eliot Wolf (GB Dir. Pro Personnel)

- Brian Gutekunst (GB Dir. College Scouting)

- Mike Williams (SF Dir. Pro Personnel)

- Matt Malaspina (SF Dir. College Scouting)

HC

- Jim Harbaugh (SF HC): Involved in developing Luck at Stanford.  Turned around Smith

when he got to SF and helped develop Kaepernick

- David Shaw (Stanford HC): Involved in developing Luck at Stanford.  Continued the

excellent success at Stanford after Harbaugh & Luck left.  With Stanford's academic

requirements he doesn't get SEC type recruits

- Dan Quinn (SEA DC): Has done an excellent job with the SEA defense.  He's been a

Jet coach in the past and he's a NJ guy

- Vic Fangio (SF DC): Has done an excellent job with the SF defense even while dealing

with injuries to All-Pro players (Willis, Bowman, Smith)

- Todd Bowles (ARZ DC): Has done an excellent job with the ARZ defense even while

dealing with a ton of injuries

- Bill Lazor (MIA OC): Has done a good job developing Tannehill and he has experience

in the Chip Kelly offense if we draft Mariota

- Pep Hamilton (IND OC): Involved in the development of Luck at Stanford and IND.  Also

has been a Jet coach in the past

- Tom Clements (GB OC): Was Rodgers QB coach when he first got drafted, so he knows

what it takes to develop a young QB

Great post!

I am scared of a defensive minded coach. That isn't fair, but that is how I feel after Rex. I am not saying no defensive coach will ever be good at offense. Rex is in the minority with how lopsided he is.  But they have enough defensive talent (once they get some cornerbacks) where they should put the defense on autopilot and commit 100% to fixing this offense.

Lazor worked with Foles in Philly as the QB coach and Foles had a 27-2 TD to Int ratio, when Lazor Foles fell off some. LAZOR Then went to Miami as the OC and really helped out Tannehill and has been impressive as an OC.

Nice, I didn't realize he was the guy that left Philly and resulted in a step back for Foles. 

It would be a coup to somehow acquire Foles and pair them up. Hmmm.....

I don't want recycled crap or NFL lifers/insiders.   The Jets should go in a completely different direction and hire Joe Moglia (Coastal Carolina) to run the entire operation.  He can hire cap and personnel staff to handle that end of the business and be HC himself.  This guy is a terrific coach and has actually been the CEO of a real organization.  Hell, he can even manage the coaches' and players' investments.

apologies if this too long. But I think it is relevant to the thread- This is from Albert Breer NFL.com. Re: GM candidates this offseason

SECOND-CHANCERS

Mark Dominik, ESPN analyst: Was a Buccaneers lifer before being shown the door at the end of last season, so Dominik was part of a championship group early on, and built a team that still has young talent. His downfall as GM in Tampa Bay was striking out on his first draft pick -- quarterback Josh Freeman -- which seriously set the franchise back.

Tom Heckert, director of pro personnel, Denver Broncos: Something of a victim of circumstance in Cleveland, Heckert built the foundation for a contending Browns team -- and he sparkled as an evaluator prior to that in Philly. In Denver, the team's success in free agency says plenty about Heckert. He did have a DUI arrest in 2013.

Jeff Ireland, consultant: Last year, CBS Dallas did a study, based on games played and starts, that ranked Miami as the NFL's top drafting team from 2009 to '13. And Ireland drafted Ryan Tannehill between Robert Griffin III and Brandon Weeden during that run. He wasn't perfect, but he was better than you think.

Scot McCloughan, consultant: McCloughan left Trent Baalke and, later, Jim Harbaugh with an incredibly talented team that made three straight NFC title games in San Francisco, and was the right-hand man to Seahawks GM John Schneider as Seattle became a champion. The Raiders could be a fit here.

Scott Pioli, assistant GM, Atlanta Falcons: Pioli's time in Kansas City carried off-field drama, but the on-field cupboard he left Andy Reid was fairly full. He drafted or re-signed nine Pro Bowlers in K.C., and left the new regime with $20 million in cap space. It wouldn't be shocking if the Jets inquired here.

Mike Tannenbaum, coaching agent: A hard run at a title after consecutive AFC title game appearances left the Jets in a tough spot after his ouster, but got the team there in the first place and fostered an inclusive environment that people in that building have learned to appreciate in the two years since.

Brian Xanders, senior personnel executive, Detroit Lions: As Broncos GM, Xanders built the roster that lured Peyton Manning, with Demaryius Thomas among the franchise-level talents acquired. And in Detroit, he's spearheaded an effort to modernize the scouting operation and was part of a coaching search.

FIRST-TIMERS

Chris Ballard, director of player personnel, Kansas City Chiefs: Pulled his name out of the Tampa search last year, and will probably be the first guy on a few lists. Has extensive experience in both college and pro scouting.

Nick Caserio, director of player personnel, New England Patriots: Many took his Dolphins interview in January as a signal that he's ready to seriously consider leaving Foxborough. Instrumental in Belichick's recent Patriot makeover.

Harrison: Power Rankings, Week 15
Elliot-Harrison_110827_65.jpgIn the latest edition of his weekly NFL pecking order, Elliot Harrison welcomes a familiar team back into the top five. READ

Eric DeCosta, assistant GM, Baltimore Ravens: Not a whole lot needs to be said about DeCosta, who has Ozzie Newsome's job waiting for him. It'd take a gold-standard gig (see: Giants) to pry him from that.

Brian Gaine, director of pro personnel, Houston Texans: Was a candidate for recent openings with the Rams, Jets and Dolphins, and is a trusted voice in the building of the new Bill O'Brien regime.

Tom Gamble, vice president of player personnel, Philadelphia Eagles: Carries a big stick as an evaluator for Chip Kelly, and played a major role in the Niners' recent revival. The Jets interviewed him in 2013 and could circle back.

Will McClay, assistant director of player personnel, Dallas Cowboys: McClay has ascended to the top of the personnel department in Dallas. And with the Cowboys' resurgence, he should become a hot name.

Terry McDonough, vice president of player personnel, Arizona Cardinals: Worked for Belichick in Cleveland and Newsome in Baltimore, and the Cardinals' success has restored his rep after some tough years in Jacksonville.

Rick Mueller, director of pro personnel, Philadelphia Eagles: Mueller's work has flown under the radar, but he's a valued voice in Philly. And he played a big role in putting Sean Payton's Saints in position to routinely contend.

Ryan Pace, director of player personnel, New Orleans Saints: You never hear much about Pace -- and that's by design. But he leads the personnel side under GM Mickey Loomis, and has drawn interest in the past.

Jon Robinson, director of player personnel, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Robinson spearheaded solid Patriots drafts in 2010, '11 and '12, and joined Tampa in May. Some believe he could eventually land in Houston.

Matt Russell, director of player personnel, Denver Broncos: Widely regarded as one of the NFL's best evaluators of college talent, Russell is a confidant of John Elway on all decisions. Like Heckert, he has a 2013 DUI to explain.

Duke Tobin, director of player personnel, Cincinnati Bengals: Like McClay, Tobin works in an owner-centric model, and has played a substantial role in stocking a very talented roster.

Lionel Vital, director of player personnel, Atlanta Falcons: A Tampa finalist last year, Vital occupies the spot that current GMs Les Snead and David Caldwell once filled. Like McDonough, has a Belichick/Newsome pedigree.

Eliot Wolf, director of pro personnel, Green Bay Packers: Ron Wolf's son would be very young (32) to be a GM, but is considered a rising star in the business. The success of John Dorsey and Schneider certainly doesn't hurt.

apologies if this too long. But I think it is relevant to the thread- This is from Albert Breer NFL.com. Re: GM candidates this offseason

Tom Heckert, director of pro personnel, Denver Broncos: Something of a victim of circumstance in Cleveland, Heckert built the foundation for a contending Browns team -- and he sparkled as an evaluator prior to that in Philly. In Denver, the team's success in free agency says plenty about Heckert. He did have a DUI arrest in 2013.

Matt Russell, director of player personnel, Denver Broncos: Widely regarded as one of the NFL's best evaluators of college talent, Russell is a confidant of John Elway on all decisions. Like Heckert, he has a 2013 DUI to explain.

What is with the Broncos and the DUI?  Drunken culture?  Stricter cops?  

I also don't think we have to exclusively look for coaching candidates from successful organizations.  Mike Pettine came from here, after all.  Sometimes hiring guys from successful orgs can backfire because they're coming from teams that are loaded with talent.  It's all about doing the most with what you're given. 

One outside the box guy to consider is Bob Sutton.  The guy seems organized and respected.  He has been able to work with a boatload of different coaches and I never hear a bad word said about him.  He is the kind of guy I would be interested to hear discuss his overall philosophy.  We were all down on him after Mangini, but he has a pretty good thing going there in KC.  I think he's probably no good, but I would interview him.

SECOND-CHANCERS

Mark Dominik, ESPN analyst: Was a Buccaneers lifer before being shown the door at the end of last season, so Dominik was part of a championship group early on, and built a team that still has young talent. His downfall as GM in Tampa Bay was striking out on his first draft pick -- quarterback Josh Freeman -- which seriously set the franchise back.

Jeff Ireland, consultant: Last year, CBS Dallas did a study, based on games played and starts, that ranked Miami as the NFL's top drafting team from 2009 to '13. And Ireland drafted Ryan Tannehill between Robert Griffin III and Brandon Weeden during that run. He wasn't perfect, but he was better than you think.

Scot McCloughan, consultant: McCloughan left Trent Baalke and, later, Jim Harbaugh with an incredibly talented team that made three straight NFC title games in San Francisco, and was the right-hand man to Seahawks GM John Schneider as Seattle became a champion. The Raiders could be a fit here.

Scott Pioli, assistant GM, Atlanta Falcons: Pioli's time in Kansas City carried off-field drama, but the on-field cupboard he left Andy Reid was fairly full. He drafted or re-signed nine Pro Bowlers in K.C., and left the new regime with $20 million in cap space. It wouldn't be shocking if the Jets inquired here.

Mike Tannenbaum, coaching agent: A hard run at a title after consecutive AFC title game appearances left the Jets in a tough spot after his ouster, but got the team there in the first place and fostered an inclusive environment that people in that building have learned to appreciate in the two years since.

Brian Xanders, senior personnel executive, Detroit Lions: As Broncos GM, Xanders built the roster that lured Peyton Manning, with Demaryius Thomas among the franchise-level talents acquired. And in Detroit, he's spearheaded an effort to modernize the scouting operation and was part of a coaching search.

FIRST-TIMERS

Chris Ballard, director of player personnel, Kansas City Chiefs: Pulled his name out of the Tampa search last year, and will probably be the first guy on a few lists. Has extensive experience in both college and pro scouting.

Nick Caserio, director of player personnel, New England Patriots: Many took his Dolphins interview in January as a signal that he's ready to seriously consider leaving Foxborough. Instrumental in Belichick's recent Patriot makeover.

Harrison: Power Rankings, Week 15

Elliot-Harrison_110827_65.jpgIn the latest edition of his weekly NFL pecking order, Elliot Harrison welcomes a familiar team back into the top five. READ

Eric DeCosta, assistant GM, Baltimore Ravens: Not a whole lot needs to be said about DeCosta, who has Ozzie Newsome's job waiting for him. It'd take a gold-standard gig (see: Giants) to pry him from that.

Brian Gaine, director of pro personnel, Houston Texans: Was a candidate for recent openings with the Rams, Jets and Dolphins, and is a trusted voice in the building of the new Bill O'Brien regime.

Tom Gamble, vice president of player personnel, Philadelphia Eagles: Carries a big stick as an evaluator for Chip Kelly, and played a major role in the Niners' recent revival. The Jets interviewed him in 2013 and could circle back.

Will McClay, assistant director of player personnel, Dallas Cowboys: McClay has ascended to the top of the personnel department in Dallas. And with the Cowboys' resurgence, he should become a hot name.

Terry McDonough, vice president of player personnel, Arizona Cardinals: Worked for Belichick in Cleveland and Newsome in Baltimore, and the Cardinals' success has restored his rep after some tough years in Jacksonville.

Rick Mueller, director of pro personnel, Philadelphia Eagles: Mueller's work has flown under the radar, but he's a valued voice in Philly. And he played a big role in putting Sean Payton's Saints in position to routinely contend.

Ryan Pace, director of player personnel, New Orleans Saints: You never hear much about Pace -- and that's by design. But he leads the personnel side under GM Mickey Loomis, and has drawn interest in the past.

Jon Robinson, director of player personnel, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Robinson spearheaded solid Patriots drafts in 2010, '11 and '12, and joined Tampa in May. Some believe he could eventually land in Houston.

Duke Tobin, director of player personnel, Cincinnati Bengals: Like McClay, Tobin works in an owner-centric model, and has played a substantial role in stocking a very talented roster.

Lionel Vital, director of player personnel, Atlanta Falcons: A Tampa finalist last year, Vital occupies the spot that current GMs Les Snead and David Caldwell once filled. Like McDonough, has a Belichick/Newsome pedigree.

Eliot Wolf, director of pro personnel, Green Bay Packers: Ron Wolf's son would be very young (32) to be a GM, but is considered a rising star in the business. The success of John Dorsey and Schneider certainly doesn't hurt.

And to think Woody paid over a quarter mil for a search firm and he got Idsh*tt. He coulda cut and paste this list for free.

Good post, a couple of these guys I know nothing about. I always appreciate the thought you put into this stuff though.

Question about Lazor, I know nothing about him, and am assuming his highest post has been OC, does it really make sense to let choosing Mariota dictate our next HC hire? Perhaps knowing Kelly's offense + choosing Mariota is the only thing that makes Lazor a candidate, doesn't that put us in an "over-promoted coordinator running the show" situation again?

I'm mostly curious about candidates that have experience head coaching at the NFL/NCAA level, or have shown the aptitude for it, and I'm less interested in candidates that may offer some sort of connection to a draft pick.

there is  no guarantee Mariotta will be there for us.  And we kind of have to hire a coach first.  The logic is not there.

Archived