Schefter: Big Changes Coming for Jets Defensive Staff

JetNation

IMG_7680.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

While Jets fans anxiously wait for the team to announce which members of Todd Bowles’ coaching staff will survive in the aftermath of the team’s embarrassing 5-11 campaign, NFL insider Adam Schefter says big changes are coming on the defensive side of the ball.

Changes are most definitely in order after a Jets defense that was supposed to be among the league’s elite, was essentially a punching bag for any team who showed up to play.

The offense had their fair share of struggles as well, but when you consider the amount of draft picks and dollars invested in Gang Green’s defense, it’s fair to say that the team was built to dominate on defense and to be efficient on offense.  Neither unit met expectations, but it was the defense that finished 28th in the NFL in points allowed despite being far better compensated and much healthier as a group.

This isn’t to say the offensive or special teams staffs are off the hook, but Schefter says defensive changes should be coming today.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
yAwmXliRDHY

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if that was part of the deal for Bowles maintaining his job, change your defensive coaches and spend more time being the head coach and less time being the defensive coordinator.  We can only hope!

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Ninja'd

About time the defensive let-down be put front and center. Hire an accomplished DC, who allows Bowles to function as a HC, not a glorified DC. Where have we heard this before???

This will not happen,  Head coaches that are totally affixed with their specialty will always sooner or later push the coordinator in the back ground.  Bowles will not hire a guy who does not share his 'vision' and if he does he will usurp the guys authority the moment the jets hit a bump in the road.

Pepper is a goner 100% for sure I would guess, probably Rogers as well.  They should can the special teams coach as well.  I don't care if they hire a new one every year for 20 years, keep doing it until we find one who can at least make us middle of the pack.

It's easy (and maybe even 100% correct) to point the finger at the HC and say the assistants just end up taking the fall...

But I believe they're more important pieces than some of us realize. These are the guys the HC depends on to control, teach, and keep the players in the different groups in line... 

Yes, ultimately it's the HCs job. But he counts on these guys, and I really think they let him down this year. 

6 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I wonder if that was part of the deal for Bowles maintaining his job, change your defensive coaches and spend more time being the head coach and less time being the defensive coordinator.  We can only hope!

Parcells' ism 101; "You can't coach the coaches".....

And he was and is 100% correct!!

Bad and failed coaches do it all the time!!

Bowles is responsible for the D.  NO one else.  The idea that we will be hiring someone to free  Bowles from running the D is insane.  That is what he does.  He does not know when to call timeouts.  His challenges stink.  He does not know whether to punt or go for it late.  He always runs on 4th and 1.  He has no respect in the clubhouse. If he is not doing the D, why is he even coaching?  That is my point.  He had one strong point before he came here.  Now he has none.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Damn right.  It was the single biggest disappointment of 2016.  Our best unit was actually our worst unit.

Totally agree.

I want Pepper Johnson out, replaced with Karl Dunbar. And Kacy needs to go in a hurry. Not sure who is available. Wade Phillips would be great lol but that won't happen.

5 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

It's easy (and maybe even 100% correct) to point the finger at the HC and say the assistants just end up taking the fall...

But I believe they're more important pieces than some of us realize. These are the guys the HC depends on to control, teach, and keep the players in the different groups in line... 

Yes, ultimately it's the HCs job. But he counts on these guys, and I really think they let him down this year. 

Westhoff has said this.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I would be elated, but feel there is ZERO chance of this as long as Bowles is the hc.  Bowles will not give up that much control.

Well guess which one I am in favor getting the heck out of here then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer = And he isn't related to Bum Phillips . I can tell you that!!! :) 

Bowles better be happy he wasn't just FIRED!!!

He is turning this team into Kotite 2.0; its a joke!!

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Westhoff has said this.

It's just such a hard thing for people to explain and for us to understand... It's like anything that we can't tangibly measure. It's hard to quantify how important they are, but there is a feeling that if there are weak links in the chain at those positions, it undermines a lot of things the coach wants to do... If he can't trust guys in those positions, he can't run the team. 

Defensive-minded coach ruins a defense with tons of 1st round picks.  And we thought those days were over when Rex was jettisoned.  Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.....

I never want a defense-first HC ever again after Bowles.  What good are they if they can't even do the one thing they know, and always make the GM take players early in the draft that fit his scheme, meanwhile neglecting O-line and preventing us from getting a QB?

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I've said it on another thread I want  Wade Phillips in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would love Wade Phillips here (obviously) but isn't he going to be the favorite to be the HC in Denver?  I haven't heard that btw but I'm just guessing that would be the case.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Defensive-minded coach ruins a defense with tons of 1st round picks.  And we thought those days were over when Rex was jettisoned.  Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.....

I never want a defense-first HC ever again after Bowles.  What good are they if they can't even do the one thing they know, and always make the GM take players early in the draft that fit his scheme, meanwhile neglecting O-line and preventing us from getting a QB?

Reactionary.

I want another bad coach after Bowles. Specifically noobs that need to learn on the job for 3-5 years.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Would love Wade Phillips here (obviously) but isn't he going to be the favorite to be the HC in Denver?  I haven't heard that btw but I'm just guessing that would be the case.

No, he's not.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Reactionary.

Only kind of.  4 straight defensive HC's, four straight failures.  It may work elsewhere in the NFL but hasn't here.  Changing our approach just for change's sake would be fine in my book.  At least with an offense-minded HC he can provide some decent input on who the QB should be. 

Parcells doesn't really count, since he ceded most of the defensive control to Belichick. 

Archived