NYG Wheels Are Coming Off

KRL

1 hour ago, Maddog45 said:

I say injuries killed that team and gm for not having running backs

I don't even think you watch football, a least not the same I do. Jerry Reese past 5 drafts have been horrendous despite OBJ, Shepard and Collins (who had one of the worst rookie season I have ever seen). Firing a 2 time Super Bowl Champion for Ben McAdoo, playing a revolving door at LT, Eli Apple, no run game. This team had way too many problems before the injuries even occur. Ben McAdoo play calling may be worst than Chan Gailey's last year.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Maddog45 said:

I say injuries killed that team and gm for not having running backs

Injuries? What injuries? Odell just got hurt. Eli healthy. I'm sure they have a couple of guys banged up just like every other team in the NFL. They're just not that good and Eli can't win with an sub par or even average team. The guy misses the playoffs far more often than he makes it. 

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

This whole Giant thing gives credence to never signing high priced / highly rated, supposed star FA's, and just going with solid players and younger talent. 

Agree. Read an article a while back which tracked high priced big star free agents from only the previous three years before. And none of them were any longer with the team they had signed for.

I used to think it must be worth something to get a lot of veteran free agents together on a team and use all that experience to make a run. But it seems like folly as most vets are too set in their ways to integrate successfully into a team if there are a lot of them.

11 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

While the suspension doesn't sound good, looking at the article, that's not even the worst of it:

I think we are all too familiar with how this goes.  If the team is falling apart this badly and turning on each other, it might be a bit of a blessing in disguise that both Marshall and Beckham are on IR.  If McAdoo wants any shot of regaining control of the locker room this year, those two would not have helped in the least.

Right now McAdoo needs a new haircut. When this season is over he is going to need a new haircut and a new job.

13 hours ago, nyjunc said:

the giants won both of those SBs b/c of the defense.  The QB has been a decent starter in this league that is very durable but he's nothing special. he has won playoff games in exactly TWO postseasons, he has never won a playoff game where his D allowed more than 20 points and this year will be the 7th time in 9 years the Giants have missed the playoffs w/ him. we have the same # of playoff apps and playoff wins in the same span.

He was the MVP in both those Super Bowls no?

How about that beat down he put on Rodgers, and Green Bay in Green Bay in 2011 divisional series?  I get Eli is not Peyton statistics wise, but the dude is a 2 time SB winning MVP, and was awesome from 2007 postseason till about 2 years ago, where do I sign for the Jets to get an Eli Manning clone for the next 13 years?

Gints schedule isn't going to do them many favours ... @ Denver, then vs. Seattle before their bye week, that's an easy 0-7 barring some sort of miracle, IMHO.

Rest of the way - vs. Rams, @ SF, vs KC, @ Was, @ Oak, vs. Dal, vs. Phi, @ Ari, vs. Was

I have a hard time seeing them finding more than three wins max out of that lot.

I guess the crystal ball gazers picked the wrong NY team to go 0-16 this year! :D 

Here's a question about the Gnats, and the draft ...

Let's assume they end up with a very high draft pick - let's say top 2, so a lock for being in a position to draft either Darnold or Rosen. What would the Giants FO see as the better path from there - draft a top QB, move on from Manning in the short term, and try to plug all their other roster holes in the rest of the draft / FA? OR - flip the pick for a nice haul of draft picks this year and next, reload around Manning and try to get back into contention straight away?

This is a team who were a play-off prospect only 6 weeks ago ... I don't see them throwing in the towel and moving into rebuild mode that soon, and that easily.

So it may work in the Jets favour if a team that has a QB (or at least, still believes they do) ends up in the top 2, as it makes our chances of trading up that much better.

7 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

He was the MVP in both those Super Bowls no?

How about that beat down he put on Rodgers, and Green Bay in Green Bay in 2011 divisional series?  I get Eli is not Peyton statistics wise, but the dude is a 2 time SB winning MVP, and was awesome from 2007 postseason till about 2 years ago, where do I sign for the Jets to get an Eli Manning clone for the next 13 years?

he was the MVP b/c QBs usually get them.  His D's shut down 2 all time great offenses by holding them to 14 and 17 pts, Eli's Offenses scored 17 and 19 pts.  he has NEVER won a playoff game where his D has allowed more than 20 pts in a game.  he's good enough to win with but everything has to be pretty much perfect around him to win.  His D and STs led both of those SB runs. 

he was never "awesome", at his peak(2011) he had a really good season.  he has led the league in INTs THREE times, throwing for 20 or more ach time w/ two of those seasons coming AFTER 2007(the first one was 2007).  he has been holding the giants back in recent years w/ awful play despite some decent #s. he's a solid starting QB, nothing more.  Yes I'd like the stability at the position but Jet fans would be whining about him every week if he was our QB.  you never know what you will get, one week he's really good, the next week he looks like a rookie.  there's never any consistency.

if we have an Eli clone we better get a NYG 2007/2011 postseason D if we want to win, remember outside of those 2 years where his D and STs were great he has NEVER won another playoff game.

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he was the MVP b/c QBs usually get them.  His D's shut down 2 all time great offenses by holding them to 14 and 17 pts, Eli's Offenses scored 17 and 19 pts.  he has NEVER won a playoff game where his D has allowed more than 20 pts in a game.  he's good enough to win with but everything has to be pretty much perfect around him to win.  His D and STs led both of those SB runs. 

he was never "awesome", at his peak(2011) he had a really good season.  he has led the league in INTs THREE times, throwing for 20 or more ach time w/ two of those seasons coming AFTER 2007(the first one was 2007).  he has been holding the giants back in recent years w/ awful play despite some decent #s. he's a solid starting QB, nothing more.  Yes I'd like the stability at the position but Jet fans would be whining about him every week if he was our QB.  you never know what you will get, one week he's really good, the next week he looks like a rookie.  there's never any consistency.

if we have an Eli clone we better get a NYG 2007/2011 postseason D if we want to win, remember outside of those 2 years where his D and STs were great he has NEVER won another playoff game.

Yeah, you're right, give me Sanchez over Eli any time.  Do you think Lincoln cared how many other battles General Meade won other than Gettysburg? 

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Yeah, you're right, give me Sanchez over Eli any time.  Do you think Lincoln cared how many other battles General Meade won other than Gettysburg? 

Sanchez on the 2007/2011 giants they win both of those SBs.  the difference btw 2007/2011 NYG and 2009/2010 NYJ was the play of the D and STs(along w/ some breaks) not the play at QB.  even sanchez has won a playoff game where his D allowed more than 20 pts and he has playoff wins in as many seasons as Eli despite only 4 yrs as a full time starter.

5 hours ago, jamesr said:

Here's a question about the Gnats, and the draft ...

Let's assume they end up with a very high draft pick - let's say top 2, so a lock for being in a position to draft either Darnold or Rosen. What would the Giants FO see as the better path from there - draft a top QB, move on from Manning in the short term, and try to plug all their other roster holes in the rest of the draft / FA? OR - flip the pick for a nice haul of draft picks this year and next, reload around Manning and try to get back into contention straight away?

This is a team who were a play-off prospect only 6 weeks ago ... I don't see them throwing in the towel and moving into rebuild mode that soon, and that easily.

So it may work in the Jets favour if a team that has a QB (or at least, still believes they do) ends up in the top 2, as it makes our chances of trading up that much better.

think you lock down a potential FQB.  

19 hours ago, HighPitch said:

So are you suggesting that tanking could possibly affect morale?

while i have been rooting for the Jets to win (why not) i really wanted them to tank this season and get a top pick.  now it looks like the Giants are going to have a better pick.  I don't see them winning more than 4 games and i think we pull out 2 wins. 

20 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Sanchez on the 2007/2011 giants they win both of those SBs.  the difference btw 2007/2011 NYG and 2009/2010 NYJ was the play of the D and STs(along w/ some breaks) not the play at QB.  even sanchez has won a playoff game where his D allowed more than 20 pts and he has playoff wins in as many seasons as Eli despite only 4 yrs as a full time starter.

So, bottom line, Eli and Sanchez are in the same draft, and they are both there when you pick. You are honestly going to tell me that you would take  Sanchez?

Just now, section314 said:

So, bottom line, Eli and Sanchez are in the same draft, and they are both there when you pick. You are honestly going to tell me that you would take  Sanchez?

Sanchez is basically Eli w/o the team helping him.  their early careers were very similar, the biggest difference was that NYG kept acquiring talent around Eli to help him while we went into year 3 w/ 3of his top 5 weapons that would be out of football a year later and year 4 w/ Chaz Schilens and Stephen Hill as top weapons.  Eli obviously has had the better career but he's missed 7 of the last 9 postseasons in a weak division, in SB winning years w/ SB talent he could only lead NYG to 10 and 9 wins.  Eli is vastly overrated.  he's a solid starter that you can win w/ if you have a ton of talent around him, he's not a guy that turns around a franchise.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Sanchez is basically Eli w/o the team helping him.  their early careers were very similar, the biggest difference was that NYG kept acquiring talent around Eli to help him while we went into year 3 w/ 3of his top 5 weapons that would be out of football a year later and year 4 w/ Chaz Schilens and Stephen Hill as top weapons.  Eli obviously has had the better career but he's missed 7 of the last 9 postseasons in a weak division, in SB winning years w/ SB talent he could only lead NYG to 10 and 9 wins.  Eli is vastly overrated.  he's a solid starter that you can win w/ if you have a ton of talent around him, he's not a guy that turns around a franchise.

With one major difference........Eli had two chances to win a conference championship game and go to the Super Bowl, and cashed in both times. Sanchez spit the bit both times. 

22 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

That was before the 2014 season.  I think DRC has performed fairly well for his money and there isn't much left of his guarantee.  I would rather have had him walk off the field mid-season for what that salary than have Dmitri Patterson walk off the field in the 2nd half of a preseason game for $3M even if it wasn't all guaranteed.

Think it was only $1m, since he never made it to the opening day roster.

Don't you feel better now? I know I do.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Why isn't Sanchez playing then. Conspiracy?

5 hours ago, section314 said:

With one major difference........Eli had two chances to win a conference championship game and go to the Super Bowl, and cashed in both times. Sanchez spit the bit both times. 

the 2nd SB wasn't early in Eli's career, the first was and the D set up the GW FG in that game in GB and held GB's O down to where it was close late.  Our D was given a double digit lead and was smoked in the 2nd half by one of the greatest choking QBs of all time.

Sanchez played well in both title games, our D's failed to show in each.

On 10/11/2017 at 3:56 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Floyd Reese?  You mean Jerry? Not sure when they were a super bowl contender.  They caught fire in 2011, but even that year they scored less points than their opponents.  Last year was the first time they made the playoffs since and they got run out of Lambeau pretty quick.  Their Oline has sucked for ages.  They supposedly were having Brandon Albert in.  

DRC was benched.  I hear he took his pads off and stormed off.  Fought with McAdoo and an assistant.  They suspended him for a game.  He says he will be back tomorrow, but I don't know what the Giants think of that. 

drc shouldn't be suspended.  he should be cut.

13 hours ago, nyjunc said:

if Eli's D's didn't carry him to 2 titles he'd be backup somewhere too.

This is so true! The Giants defense held the Patriots to 14 f*cking points! Any QB wins that game without turning the ball over. Plus, it involved one of the luckiest heaves & helmet catches in the history of the NFL. 

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This is so true! The Giants defense held the Patriots to 14 f*cking points! Any QB wins that game without turning the ball over. Plus, it involved one of the luckiest heaves & helmet catches in the history of the NFL. 

I don't want to take away all credit from Eli.  he played well during those 2 runs(just like sanchez did for us) BUT his D's stepped up big time along w/ his STs.  creating TOs, holding high powered O's down and giving them a chance.  they held the greatest O of all time to 14 pts, 4 years later held another all time great O to 19 pts and scored 2 points.  Eli had to lead his O to 17 and 19 points to win 2 SBs.  In SB history the only other teams to win scoring less than 20 pts are the '68 Jets, '70 Colts, '72 dolphins and '74 Steelers.  he's led the league in INTs THREE times, he's led NYG to missing the playoffs 7 of 9 years, w/ SB talent in 2007 and 2011 he led his team to 10 and 9 wins and yet people want to talk about the Hall of Fame w/ this guy?  seriously?

Archived