Top GM Candidate Gamble May Want Tomsula as Coach

JetNation

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the 49'ers have been bad enough in the recent past that they have been slotted nicely in the draft. kudos to them for making good picks but if the jets have to go through that much losing to finally be talented gambvle will bve long gone before he gets to see the success.

I have heard this a few places and I don't know why people keep saying it. The 49ers have been very good at selecting high - that is true. But they have also had some great selections later in the draft (Frank Gore, 3rd, Delanie Walker 6th, Dashon Goldson, 4th, Josh Morgan 6th, Kaepernick, 2nd, NaVarro Bowman, 3rd). It's not like the Jets have hit on many top 15 selections over the last 10 years, btw. But even more impressive than that is the 49ers ability to identify veteran players that were low risk, high reward type players (Justin Smith, Donte Whitner, Carlos Rodgers, Jonathan Goodwin). The Jets have not hit on these types in about 15 years. Most importantly, they didnt let much, if any talent walk out the door like the Jets have gotten very good at.

The NFL is a QB league yet the 49ers have won 24 games in 2 seasons with Alex Smith and 2nd rd pick getting his first NFL playing time.

Simpsons did it. I mean Jets did it in 2009 and 2010 with Mark Sanchez. Mark Sanchez!

Top to bottom the 49ers roster is loaded. Not all of their moves have panned out but comparing them to the Steelers or Giants is a mistake because both of those teams have franchise QB's. I don't know anything about this Gamble guy but I wouldn't belittle the 49ers accomplishments, the next time the Jets win 24 games in 2 seasons with be the first time.

They had alot of really high first round picks to get so loaded. Tank 2013 maybe, but how many high first picks/losing seasons will they need?

can i at least get a "i gave some dickwad $55 and all i got was news that i can read on 10 other websites" buttplug?

Sorry. We are all out.

If we come across one that is slightly refurbished at a good price we will let you know.

Simpsons did it. I mean Jets did it in 2009 and 2010 with Mark Sanchez. Mark Sanchez!

They had alot of really high first round picks to get so loaded. Tank 2013 maybe, but how many high first picks/losing seasons will they need?

The Jets were 8-8 and only made the playoffs because of teams forfeiting in 2009. (Don't count the Colts win).

They were 11-5 the following season and finished second. THey didn't win the division either season. They had a good playoff run both years, but they've stunk up the joint and the team gave up ever since. And now the Jets are back to rebuilding and fired their GM and might have to fire their HC.

The 49ers were Division winners and the #2 seed last year, they are the #2 seed and division winners again this year. Will they make it to the super bowl and win? Who knows. They have a chance. And for the next few years, barring injuries and who knows what else, they are supposed to be a super bowl contender.

There is a big difference between building a winner over the long haul compared to building a team who sucks after having a one or two hit wonder year.

theres no way that can be true. Sanchez is loathed.

As is Rex, the difference is Sanchez merits it. Rex does not.

The last thing keeping a GM away from the Jets is Rex Ryan, who wont be a long term issue if it doesn't work out right away regardless. The one thing that will keep them away is that f*cking contract Sanchez is on and the mass destruction that Tannanbaum has left behind. Rex is a small removable part in a cluster**** of solid sh*te.

I love this thread.

It's speculation that Gamble is the Jets' top choice for GM, and further speculation that should Gamble get the job Tomsula is his top choice for the head coach position.

Let's discuss for six pages.

yes but Big Ben was developed previously. and besides the Steelers didn't do regime change. That was a succession plan. big difference.

The bg problem i have with all of this is i am tired of regime change. you get a guy that brings us some success, but the QB is one of the worst ever, couldnt even start for a Big East team, and we have to win despite him. give him red-yellow-green wristbands. it is insane. they missed on sanchez, but you can't fire RR for that. You keep a guy that wins despite having the most turnover prone, worst rated QB in the NFL.

Pete Carroll? IDK what that guy is. A cheerleader?

The Steelers throw the ball more with Tomlin than they did with Cowher. Cowher liked to run the ball and play defense.

Wow, Rex is a back stabber.

What GM or new OC wants to come in and deal with his finger pointing?

Ryan has made it clear privately that he wants to replace Sparano, who he hand-picked last year to succeed Brian Schottenheimer.

I love this thread.

It's speculation that Gamble is the Jets' top choice for GM, and further speculation that should Gamble get the job Tomsula is his top choice for the head coach position.

well alot of us were excited that gamble was coming from what is a successfully run program and has been an instrumental part of that success. so the fact that he was supposedly a top candidate on our list was encouraging......but the fact that he might insist on some line coach to be his head coach is discouraging don't you think? lol

I love this thread.

This is JN. We discuss topics like Sanchez sucking and Wes Welker not sucking for hundreds of pages. 6 on pure speculation about the next GM/HC combo is child's play.

I love this thread.

I love the condescending comments about people discussing things on a discussion board.

I love the condescending comments about people discussing things on a discussion board.

Just pointing out that the article is speculation on top of speculation, Proboscis Prime. I guess it sounds condecending to you because everyone talks to you that way.

I love this thread.

This is better than circle jerking about what a great defense Rex has, and how the Jets are only a QB away from winning the SB.

If it's so easy to keep hitting on higher first round picks, as some have alluded to, how come our just-fired GM ended up missing on 2 of our last 3 top-6 picks and both of our last 2 (Brick, Gholston, Sanchez)? The one before that (DRob), made by his predecessor, was also a relative miss. So we've "hit" on 1 of 4 of our top-6 picks in the last decade. And even though he's very good, he isn't so incredible either.

Point is if it was so easy there wouldn't be any busts in round 1. In reality, about 50% of 1st round picks are outright or relative busts. And if we didn't take Gholston or Sanchez in the top 10 then someone else probably would have.

2011 is an interesting draft to look at for the 49ers because it's recent, because Aldon Smith was called such an easy pick to make, and because they got their QB in that draft also.

Pick #1. Aldon Smith may sound like a no-brainer pick in hindsight. But Alex Smith ranged between awful and mediocre and injured, his contract was up soon and clearly he didn't look like their long-term QB solution, and there were 3 QBs that were taken with the next 5 picks. All 3 suck horribly so far with no end in sight to their sucking. It's relevant because we may be in that same exact position this year, where "non-no-brainer" QBs with first round grades are on the board at or within reach of our pick.

Pick #2. The guy they liked (Kapernick) was in round 2 and they gave up their 4th and 5th round picks to move up from #45 to #36. In year 2 unseats Alex Smith while injured despite Smith leading the NFL in completion percentage (70%).

Pick #3. To help make up for those 2 lost picks, they traded down 5 slots in round 3 (picked up Jax's 2011 6th). Took CB Chris Culliver. 3 picks in 6 starts this year as team's NB.

Pick #4. The prior year they traded down from #79 to #91 (selected Bowman there) and got a 2010 6th and 2011 4th from SD. 2010 6th they picked Anthony Dixon; 2011 4th rounder selected Kendall Hunter. If they liked Bowman enough to take him at #79 the prior year, they could have easily passed up on those 2 free (and quality) backup RBs.

Pick #5. Traded a 6th and a 7th for a late 5th rounder to select G Daniel Kilgore. Hasn't started a game yet.

Pick #6. 6th round pick they got from Jacksonville for dropping 5 slots in round 3. WR Ronald Johnson. Cut before opening day.

Pick #7. 6th round pick they got for trading 2008 1st round bust Balmer to Seattle. Took Safety Colin Jones. Traded him to Carolina for a 2013 7th rounder 5 days before he was going to get cut this past August.

Pick #8. 7th round pick. Drafted DL Bruce Miller and converted him to FB. Has been the team's starting/primary FB for 2 years. (By the way, we took Greg McElroy 3 picks earlier).

Picks #9 and #10. 7th round supplemental picks. One was waived August 2011; other was waived August 2012. Still, finding a rookie starter on 1 of 3 picks in round 7 is above average. Very few supplemental 7th rounders turn into anything. Marques Colstons are super-rare and Miller was the only 2011 7th rounder to earn a starting job as a rookie. He's still only 1 of 2 players taken that round that have turned into starters at all.

I like trading up for the 5th instead of taking a 3rd player in round 6 and 4th player in round 7. He may be nothing but it's a good trade up odds-wise, particularly with so many picks still to make after that. Trading a 4th and a 5th to move up 9 slots in the 2nd hurts less because of it. Made that trade-up feel more like just giving up a 4th. Got a backup RB with the intention of using him as a backup RB. Got a starting FB. Got a starting QB. Got an all-world DL. Nickel CB in 3rd and backup OG in the 5th. At worst they're great depth.

Just a super, super draft in hindsight. Jets could use a draft like this in the worst way.

Successfully run programs run for two years and don't win the SB in that time (unless the 49ers win it this year).

Rex once ran a successful program by such standards.

The Joker was a successful criminal for awhile but then he lost it and tried burning Gotham to the ground.

I love the snide retorts about condescending comments about people discussing things on a discussion board.

Just pointing out that the article is speculation on top of speculation, Proboscis Prime. I guess it sounds condecending to you because everyone talks to you that way.

You are pointing out the obvious, acting like you are the only one enlightened enough to realize it, and making it sound as though discussing speculation is beneath you. Even though you are a moderator here.

And you've got it completely wrong, as usual, I know it's condescending because that is how I talk to everyone here.

Wow, Rex is a back stabber.

What GM or new OC wants to come in and deal with his finger pointing?

now you're just trolling. It's been his blind loyalty that's got him in trouble the last 4 years. I'm not bashing anybody for recognizing their mistakes and trying to make the team better.

Tomsula? Sounds too much like Don Shula.

There's another scenario. Why bring Tomsula on at all in 2013 if you want to give Rex one last shot? If Rex fails, there's no reason Tomsula won't still be available next year. Seems like he'd just serve as a distraction and seal Rex's fate as a lame duck if he's on the staff.

There's another scenario. Why bring Tomsula on at all in 2013 if you want to give Rex one last shot? If Rex fails, there's no reason Tomsula won't still be available next year. Seems like he'd just serve as a distraction and seal Rex's fate as a lame duck if he's on the staff.

I think the only real scenerio here is that they bring him here to replace Rex.

Again this is why firing the GM and keeping the HC is ultra retarded. You end up with these half ass scenerios that don't make any sense.

I think the only real scenerio here is that they bring him here to replace Rex.

Again this is why firing the GM and keeping the HC is ultra retarded. You end up with these half ass scenerios that don't make any sense.

Agreed. Rex should've been canned. Woody is a clown.

Maybe that is the reason we haven't seen so much of Rex lately.

It's like, "Rex, we'd like to give you another shot and you're officially here for now, but the new GM will have input and if he absolutely insists..., "

As far as worrying about a bad year next year, I think the fanbase clearly understands that our crummy, fading 6-10 is really not much better than a 3-13 and that 2013 is a tear down and rebuild year.

Yeah, Rex would totally get Tebow'd and fall apart like Sanchez did.

Ok lets set this straight...

Is Rex a commodity in the NFL..yes. Do the Jets have a HC candidate ready to move in and take in Rex's spot? No, it doesn't appear so. Is a GM in Place? No.

So why fire rex when you just fired your GM and are looking for a GM. The new GM may want Rex to stay. Let the New GM decide whether Rex stays or goes. It could be that the new GM says...here is the deal:

Rex, I want you to stay and be the HC BUT you need to do the following:

Let me (the new GM) handle all personnel decisions...after all its my Forte. If there is a skill set you need, let me know and I will try and find that (Pass rushing LB, coverage safety, etc.).

You will handle the day to day management of the players and the game management...HOWEVER, you will not pick the OC (see Sparano...). You can have input but ultimately the choice is mine. I have seen the "Ground and Pound" and frankly it does not work. You need a modern offense that takes into account a better QB passing strategy and a play action element.

You will have input into the defense schemes but on offense, I'd ask that you manage the game but not interfere in the offensive coordinator's play selection.

LOL...

Archived