Garrard is signed

Joe Jets fan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The New York Jets have made the signing of quarterback David Garrard official:

Garrard was a fourth round draft pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2002 and played there through 2010.  During his nine year career with the Jaguars Garrard started 76 games threw for 16,003 yards, 89 touchdowns, 54 interceptions and had a quarterback rating of 85.8.

Released by Jacksonville in September of 2011 Garrard was gaining interest from other NFL teams but back surgery forced him to miss the entire 2011 season.

He was the front runner to be the starting quarterback for the Miami Dolphins last season before suffering a knee injury and was ultimately released.

The Jets worked him out not so long ago and the feeling was that Garrard would end up agreeing to terms becoming a Jet.  He will currently be competing with Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms for the Jets starting quarterbacks job in new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s pass heavy west coast offense.

I'm not holding my breath considering the guy hasn't played since 2010 due to injury.

Seems more like a move that helps Sanchez stick around as the starter. Because if Sanchez stinks in preseason and Garrard plays well but winds up unable to suit up, as has been the case for the past 3 years,  then it's a built in excuse for Sanchez to start for everybody.

If healthy, it's a reasonable statement that he is the best QB on the roster.  More of a threat to play than Tebow and Greg. 

That's the problem.  He's 35.  He hasn't played in about 3 seasons.   he's had back issues,  a knew injury, etc.  

And even as a starter on the Jags many seasons ago, when he was younger and healthier, the guy really couldn't stay healthy.

Hey we could luck out and he pulls a Pennington like season while on the Dolphins(would kill any rebuild plans though), but Pennington was a guy who always got injured,  Garrard is more a guy who never seems to be healthy enough to play.

That's the problem.  He's 35.  He hasn't played in about 3 seasons.   he's had back issues,  a knew injury, etc.  

And even as a starter on the Jags many seasons ago, when he was younger and healthier, the guy really couldn't stay healthy.

Hey we could luck out and he pulls a Pennington like season while on the Dolphins(would kill any rebuild plans though), but Pennington was a guy who always got injured,  Garrard is more a guy who never seems to be healthy enough to play.

There are guys starting in the league older than he is.  He has had 2 years without al ot of wear and tear also.  There may be rust but he has all of preseason to iron it out.  If he is standing in September he is better than Sanchez.  Also remember, Sanchez has never had a serious injury.  He usually lies down before anything happens, but all QBs get hurt at some point too.  Gotta have someone who can QB a little.

The point of this signing is rather simple.  It's not some great solution to the Jets' QB problems, it's to let Sanchez know they're serious about him earning his job while filling up the spot they're about to open up, as Tebow is clearly a goner, so they don't get themselves into a bidding war over a different garbage QB FA or make a crazy reach in the draft.  It's likely cheap, it's some level of insurance (at least for now), and there's a chance (albeit remote) they could get lucky and get a good season out of him.  Barring them having made a big financial commitment to him, which I can't imagine, it's not a horrible move.  Certainly better than that idiotic trade for freakin' Tebow.

Ha Ha Ha It finally happened, David Gerrard is a Jet been calling two sesons now for him to be a Jet, Tannanbum couldn't see what I saw, he had too much love for Franchez er! I mean Sanchez. Anyway! Let the beginning of the end of Mark Sanchez era as a Jet starts today write that down people. Mark Sanchez work here is finish/over/done/out/he's kaput thats my new yawka lingo comin trough. Yep I said it! a few fans/moderators at a  well known website that deals with Jet news hated the idea of me calling for Gerrard or Campbell to be our QB.

I am glad someone has their thinking cap on, allow this football team to move forward with better football players that can accomplish given task/assignments with positive results.

There are guys starting in the league older than he is.  He has had 2 years without al ot of wear and tear also.  There may be rust but he has all of preseason to iron it out.  If he is standing in September he is better than Sanchez.  Also remember, Sanchez has never had a serious injury.  He usually lies down before anything happens, but all QBs get hurt at some point too.  Gotta have someone who can QB a little.

it's not about age, it's about he can't stay healthy.  Since he was drafted he's been a guy who had health issues.   And he has no wear and tear because he couldn't stay healthy at all.   It wasn't like he got a little banged up and rode the bench.  He wasn't even healthy enough to make a roster on a team who didn't even have a legit starting QB.   Garrard was the better QB last preseason with the Dolphins, but he was forced to miss the entire season due to a knee injury.   The season before that he missed the entire season due to a back injury.   For much of his career he had the injury bug.   

This isn't like a guy who just gets freak injuries.  This is a guy who is just not healthy enough to be on an NFL roster as a backup or 3rd stringer.

I don't have any issues with the move. it's kind of pointless.  There's probably a 60 percent chance he doesn't even make it through pre season. There's probably a 90 percent chance he doesn't last the entire season.     It's just a move to replace Tebow.   I mean as bad a QB Tebow really is, he won a playoff game, he helped his team win a division title, and was being replaced in Denver by Manning.    And the Jets played that like idiots.    And Tebow didn't suddenly make Sanchez fight. It made him worse.   Garrard is probably more of a joke to Sanchez than Tebow.  

Somewhere in California, a young man weeps.

Don't think he is weeping at 8M per. And for what? Chasing jail bait around NY? Good work if you can get it.

As far as Garrard being signed, welcome back to the Ronnie Lott Leonard Marshall era. Old and in the way vets never produce.

Archived