Revis trade official - No. 13 overall pick in 2013 and conditional 4th (can upgrade to a 3rd) in 2014

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not sure I understand what all the hysteria is all about.  This was a good deal for everyone.

Bucs----They obviously think they are  Super Bowl candidates this year.  They essentially just surrendered a 1st and a 4th for a player they hope will put them over the top.  Strongly doubt it.

They also think that if Revis returns to the 2009 Revis, (Strongly doubt it)  They can just pay him another 16 million for one more year.  Doubt it .  If he doesn’t they can cut him.

Basically they have given up  a 1st and a 4th for in reality is a one year contract.

Revis-----Off a knee injury.  Was scheduled to make 6 million.  Just got a 10 million dollar raise.  If he has a great season and plays like the 2009 Revis, he’ll hold out for the big bonus.

If he just plays well, he’ll probably be released, and he’ll still get a 10+- million dollar contract with bonus’   Good deal for Revis.

Jets---Knew he wanted 16 million.  Weren’t paying.  Period.  Had a choice.  Either let him walk for nothing next year, or get the best they could.  They only had one suitor.  That usually means maybe a 2nd if it is a player everyone knew you were going to move.   They got the 13 pick in the draft this year, and the 4 th rounder next year.  Pretty good for a player that nobody really knows will ever be his former self.  Which is a major issue.

Every one is happy.  Good day

I agree. I"m happy they got the 13th and another pick (3rd or 4th round) next year.   Would it have been nice to get more picks? Yes.  But it was obvious that no other teams were interested.  And everybody knew the Jets weren't going to pay Revis $16 million per year.  Not the way things have played out over the course of his career. And not considering the way things have played out over the past few months.    You treat your star player like a cancer.  You barely speak to him.  He don't renegotiate any contract or speak of an extension.   it was obvious that the Jets wanted him gone and were trying to get as much as they could.  Holding onto the guy for one more year would do what?   The Jets still stink.   And then he leaves and they get nothing.

All in all, the Jets got what they could and more than what some thought a few months ago.  Nobody thought the Bucs were going to give up this years first round pick.  Would it have been nice to get the 13th this year,  a 1st or 2nd next year and a 4th?  Yes.  But now it all depends on who the get with 9, 13, and the rest of the draft.   Pick well and the Jets are building for the future. Pick poorly and the Jets are going to have another long long "wait till next year" kind of regime.

all the haters.....

there was 1 suitor

he is coming off knee injury, almost 30 years old, and was never going to be signed long term with the jets

so whats better, what they got, or getting 1 last contentious season from revis and then watching him walk away ? 

what did the pats get for welker ?

Hopefully a 3rd round compensatory pick.

and no one else apparently wanted this guy, and TB would not guarantee any money.  Is this a one year-one shot deal with them?  If Freeman blows do they just dump Revis and Freeman? I realize they are hedging against injury by not guaranteeing, but why did Revis take it?  i"ve got it.  He is going to hold out for a new contract next off season.

I don't see how Revis has any cards to play.  He will be one of the highest paid players in the NFL.  I mean besides Manning, Flacco, Rodgers, and Calvin Williams, he's in the Mario Williams territory of contracts.   If he just shows up every year, the guy is getting more than $16 million.   Not getting guaranteed money up front is really on him and his agents.    I just don't see what cards Revis would have at any hold out considering the amount of money he's getting.  And if the Bucs wind up just some 8-8 team,  who would really care to even trade or pay Revis that much?  

Mario Williams will probably never get what he gets now again.  We've seen what that much money for a Defensive Lineman gets you.  A team rebuilding again.

Teams dont base their rosters off of comp picks.  Bad teams, maybe.    it seemed Welker pissed of BB and that was that.  They let him walk and wound up signing a younger version of the same type of player.  And who knows.  Welker wasn't exactly HOF material before he came to the Pats.   

The difference is the Jets will have to either draft a replacement or use Kyle Wilson.   That seems to be the difference to me.  The Pats seemed to know they were letting Welker go and went after Amendola very quickly.    The Jets on the other hand just seem to be cutting players and not really replacing them with anybody.   Let Keller and Greene go,  bring in backup to backup injury prone types.    It's more of a slash cap space now, hope to draft well and see where it takes us next year.   

No way it's that high.  $6M for the 2013 season won't yield a 3rd rounder.  It'll probably be a 4th.  But it could technically be a 5th.  $6M isn't even top 20 money for a WR.  It's barely more than Robert Meachem money.

But all of that is theory that ignores signing UFA Amendola, who's getting $8M in 2013.  He'll more than cancel Welker out, meaning the Pats should get no compensatory pick for Welker.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned in the verbiage of the contract, but what's exactly stopping Revis from holding out after this season or the next, provided he plays up to his caliber??  There's zero doubt in my mind that if he dominates this year, he doesn't tell Tampa to essentially convert a large chunk of that money to guaranteed money or to go f*ck themselves and let him sit for $16 million or cut him where he can enter FA.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned in the verbiage of the contract, but what's exactly stopping Revis from holding out after this season or the next, provided he plays up to his caliber??  There's zero doubt in my mind that if he dominates this year, he doesn't tell Tampa to essentially convert a large chunk of that money to guaranteed money or to go f*ck themselves and let him sit for $16 million or cut him where he can enter FA.

I was wondering that as well.  when it gets filed with the league, I'm sure there will be reports on what the deal really is.  maybe one of those "really a 3 year deal" kinda thing.  I still fell he will play for 4 teams in his career, I give him 3 years in tampa

No way it's that high.  $6M for the 2013 season won't yield a 3rd rounder.  It'll probably be a 4th.  But it could technically be a 5th.  $6M isn't even top 20 money for a WR.  It's barely more than Robert Meachem money.

But all of that is theory that ignores signing UFA Amendola, who's getting $8M in 2013.  He'll more than cancel Welker out, meaning the Pats should get no compensatory pick for Welker.

whew that was close, I pulled that question out of my butt. 

the jets drafted revis at 16 I believe, and traded him for a 13.  not too bad all things considered, and this year is a rebuild year. 

all you have to do is ask yourslef this question...

"why weren't more teams interested" ?

then you see why this is a "good" deal

Revis is Michael Jordan..

Cromartie is Dominque Wilkins..

Kyle Wilson is Patrick Cummings..

Revis is Michael Jordan..

Cromartie is Dominque Wilkins..

Kyle Wilson is Darko Milicic..

Technically he could, but I don't see that happening.  Plus the last thing Tampa would ever do is cut him; there is literally no reason for them to do that even if he held out for the rest of his career. What would they get out of cutting him?

I was wrong, we did it.

It was ****ing stupid.

A 13th overall pick in a draft where 1-25 are interchangeable. A 2014 throwaway 4th/3rd rounder.

We did not have any ****ing cap problems to deal with next year. We had lots of cap space. Now we can use it on a bunch of crap free agents, spending $10m/year+++ on some guy that does for us what Mario "Superman" Williams did for Buffalo: nada.

Revis gets $0 guaranteed. He was a known commodity.

Dumb as hell.

Oh Stop.  1-25 are not interchangeable and that 4,3 next year will 99.9% be their 3rd.  (if revis is on the bucs on the 3rd day of the new league year)  We don't have cap problems for next year?  Right-- because we don't have good QB, WR, RB, G, RT, OLB, NT, S right now.  When those issues are addressed properly, and we get our QB, we will not be in the position to sign a 16 MILLION DOLLAR CORNER. 

What were you expecting Revis to command in compensation while coming off the injury, and wanting 16 million a year in a year where the best FA corners got 1 year 5 mil deals?  It's not Idziks fault we had 1 team interested.  If we had 5 teams interested, we probably could have received more.  But there is a big reason only 1 team was interested.

It's pointless to sign a corner to that $$ if you don't have a QB who can take you to the playoffs, let alone the Superbowl.  We are in rebuilding mode man, and the 9,13,39 will net us some great players, and probably even more picks if we trade back.

the jets drafted revis at 16 I believe, and traded him for a 13.  not too bad all things considered, and this year is a rebuild year. 

I'm guessing that limited cap space lead to a limited market for Revis. I think every NFL team was aware he want 15 mil. or so a year. If I'm a GM that would scare me off.

nobody is paying a corner 16 mil thats why. the bucks got cap money but not for long

Technically he could, but I don't see that happening.  Plus the last thing Tampa would ever do is cut him; there is literally no reason for them to do that even if he held out for the rest of his career. What would they get out of cutting him?

Nothing, but then they get nothing if he decides to hold out. They've essentially admitted to going all in for the next couple of years, If he threatens to sit the entire year, I would imagine they'd be hard-pressed not to do something to get him to play.  Given his history, I just don't see this guy having a spectacular year and then suiting up for zero long-term security, especially after he now knows how quick one's career can end.  I could be wrong and he honors it, but nothing he's done thus far as lead me to believe he'll honor this contract if he dominates this year.

They have a healthy Revis last year and they have 3 more wins and make the playoffs and then it's anyone's game.

According to who?   With Revis and Cromoartie in 2011, the Jets went 8-8.

Freeman is not all that different than Sanchez.  They both are turnover machines.    And the Bucs had some offensive weapons last year.

Funny how they were the only team to show up to the fleecing.

The 49ers, Falcons, Eagles and Saints just held press conferences and said if they knew the compensation was so low, they would have tried to make the trade also.  No. No they didn't.

According to who? With Revis and Cromoartie in 2011, the Jets went 8-8.

Freeman is not all that different than Sanchez. They both are turnover machines. And the Bucs had some offensive weapons last year.

Did you watch any of the games last season? Holy crap. Freeman threw a lot of picks because Tampa's defense was horrid and they couldn't get off the field so the offense had to play from behind the entire season. He was the only reason they were halfway decent last year. Freeman is wayyy better than Sanchez and it's not close.

Nothing, but then they get nothing if he decides to hold out. They've essentially admitted to going all in for the next couple of years, If he threatens to sit the entire year, I would imagine they'd be hard-pressed not to do something to get him to play.  Given his history, I just don't see this guy having a spectacular year and then suiting up for zero long-term security, especially after he now knows how quick one's career can end.  I could be wrong and he honors it, but nothing he's done thus far as lead me to believe he'll honor this contract if he dominates this year.

I think this is where Revis and their agents overplayed their hands.  Maybe they think after proving he's back to Revis again, he can hold out for some guaranteed contract. But if the Bucs are just an 8-8 team, what leverage would revis have?    He's already going to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL along with Williams.  They both got 6 year 96 million contracts.   Mario got 50 Mil guaranteed, Revis got 0.  But at the end of the day, you can't really hold anything over a teams head when they are already paying you top dollar.    

If he holds out for more guaranteed money, the Bucs can just cut him. And how hard would it be to cut the guy if the Bucs don't win anything?  And what other teams would jump into that mess and offer him close to what he wants?  Unless it's some stupid team like the Raiders.  And at that point, let Revis go play for the perennial 3-13 team.    

The 49ers, Falcons, Eagles and Saints just held press conferences and said if they knew the compensation was so low, they would have tried to make the trade also.  No. No they didn't.

Unguaranteed money except for Year 1 means Revis is about to become the 21st Century Deion. He will be a mercenary and Tampa is stop one, if he stacys healthy. It was done here. Idzik did the best you could hope. The Jets would've  probably signed up a nice guarantee for 3 or even 4 years.But that's not what he wanted. I wish him well, but he will learn someday this is a mistake.

Archived