Slim WR pickings in FA market

Freemanm

DT? How do you figure?

Our backs are below average.

I mean, any position could use an upgrade, but think the current stable of backs is fine. I wouldn't be looking to spend any resources there before hitting every other position on offense, first. Ivory, Powell, and Goodson is a decent group.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I don't like probowlers and playmakers... I guess I should love your list, because they are mostly mid-range talent. 

Yes bud, love my list.  Cause that's what I want, people to just agree with me.  

You seem all tight-strung after your fisticuffs with Jack....perhaps we should try this posting stuff again later. 

Running back is still a big need IMO. Ivory needs to drop weight and Powell is a JAG.

Ivory has zero pass catching ability as well.

I agree with this ten fold, I think this idea that we're set up at RB is way off base

I would take Britt at the right price.  Britt we know has the ability to be a big time WR...just needs to get his head on straight.  Not sure if NY is the place he would get his sht together in either but I would be willing to take that chance given his potential...

Impending free agent Kenny Britt doesn't believe he got a "fair shake" in Tennessee this season.

A healthy scratch three of Tennessee's final four games, Britt was one of the worst players in the NFL this season, but pointed out that "other receivers dropped balls." He thinks there was a "double standard." He'll learn about someone else's standards next season, as Britt will not be back with the Titans. Britt has already gone on the record as believing that he'll be a No. 1 receiver in 2014.

Draft a WR in the first two rounds. Sign a WR who fits to an extent (Maclin or Nicks on a one year prove it deal where the Jets offer another million or so over the next highest bidder and/or point out that they'll be target monsters in an offense with no good wideouts, I think Emmanuel Sanders and Tate fit too for starting WR but not star WR money).

That way they roll out FA-draft pick-Kerley-Nelson-Hill. The FA likely starts, have a 3 way competition between draft pick, Nelson, and Hill for the other outside receiver spot, Kerley is the primary slot guy in all packages. If they want a 6th wideout on the roster I kind of like Salas and they can let him compete with Gates and Hakim who appear to be on the roster along with either a UDFA or a late draft pick.

Nice way to upgrade talent without investing too much into the position since Kerley/Nelson/Hill are basically locks to be on the roster next year, but you're allowing competition, bringing in a vet, bringing in youth, and that 6th WR slot can be a developmental/specials guy if they use it.

Upgrading at RB depends entirely on whether or not Goodson comes back IMO. He looked explosive and like a great fit for the offense before he went down with his injury, and obviously they liked him when they went out and got him last year. If he returns I think they just stick with Ivory-Goodson-Powell, but if he's not healthy and/or gets cut then I could see investing a day 2 pick in the position. Seastrunk wouldn't make sense to me though, literally caught 0 passes this year at Baylor. Wouldn't be as bad if Ivory was a pass catching back, but two guys who don't really catch passes in a Mornhinweg offense doesn't really make sense to me.

Then at TE I think the safe route is to sign a FA and draft a TE. Cumberland coming back on a reasonable deal would be fine, bringing in a Brandon Pettigrew type or maybe Scott Chandler if either of those guys was interested would work or even taking a shot on Fred Davis. Jimmy Graham I'd take in a heartbeat but that's a pipe dream. And then as long as they find someone within the first 4 or 5 rounds they can have him compete with the FA for the starting spot (though obviously the earlier the better) and if they aren't able to find a starter then there's no real significant downgrade at the position from last year (Winslow was okay but couldn't stay healthy, Cumberland solid but nothing special). And Sudfeld is fine as a developmental third TE.

Yes bud, love my list.  Cause that's what I want, people to just agree with me.  

You seem all tight-strung after your fisticuffs with Jack....perhaps we should try this posting stuff again later. 

LOL, I don't get tight strung over busting chops... I just think your FA suggestions are terrible. 

Golden Tate is the best FA you suggested, and he's nothing special... the rest of the guys you suggest spending the hard-earned cap space on are garbage. That's my opinion.

Guys like Britt and Incognito aren't good for this team. (See: Holmes, Plaxico, Goodson) It took this whole season being a throw-away to get the cap in a good place, I don't like the idea of wasting cap space on scumbags, malcontents and whackos.

You usually need to draft a #1 WR or wait until he loses a step. 

This.

But according to some here, there's at least 5-6 speed burner possession #1 WRs available as free agents this year... all of whom can be had for cheap... and no other team in the league knows about it.

This.

But according to some here, there's at least 5-6 speed burner possession #1 WRs available as free agents this year... all of whom can be had for cheap... and no other team in the league knows about it.

They would be #1s on the Jets worst WR corps in the league as we speak

I don't get the "Goodson looked good" statements.    The guy barely played, was suspended, got injured, and in the end he's still a RB who has barely played in his entire NFL career.   There is nothing that says "he's a game changer."  There isn't anything that says he's a starter or backup RB.   I mean damn Matt Flynn had a nice game a few years back, so why not give him a big contract.  Oh yeah a few teams were screwed over on that kind of thought process.    At this point it would be great if Goodson came back and was a game changer, but Rex & Idzik & MM shouldn't dismiss some other RB because Goodson might have something.

As far as Ivory, he's Greene all over again.  Then again he didn't even rush for 1000 yards so he's not even on that level.   He runs hard, he gets injured often, and he'll get the Jets about 70 yards rushing.  He will also never catch a pass and rarely be on the field when they are passing the ball.   Kind of makes it an obvious run play when he is on the field.      You really can't have a RB who is a liability in the passing game.   I mean guys like Manning and Brady and many other QBs dump off passes all the time. Hell the Eagles ran tons of screens to RBs.    Reggie Bush catches more than he runs.        Ivory doesn't need to be those kinds of players, but he sure isn't Lynch or AP either who can run you over, outrun you and race for over 1500 yards.   

I like Ivory,  but the truth is, Ivory is like any other no name running back in the NFL who can be replaced by younger rookies.  He gave the Jets about 800 yards rushing and not much else.   Most teams can find practice squad players who can get you 800 yards rushing.   So saying the RB situation is under control doesn't really mean much considering the Jets don't have a RB who can change a game for them.   

They need offensive players who can change the game.  WR, TE, RB, etc.  They need better OL.  They need Geno to get better.  They need MM to improve his play calling and dump the stupid wildcat.   Once a game, who cares, more than that and it's painful and pointless.   

As far as most of the guys listed,  I"m not sold on Decker.   Peyton Manning just had 55 TDS and over 5000 yards passing this year.  He had another great year last season.   Of course Decker is going to be good when Manning is the QB.     Same goes for Julian up in NE.  Brady is throwing to him.      Those guys would be great if there was a legit #1 and maybe even a #2.    When Julian and Decker are forced to be the #1 guy,  it's a recipe for disaster for Geno and the Jets offense.   

I hope they find some talented playmakers on offense.  Guys who can change entire games around.  And honestly if they could find a true #1 WR and then sign Boldin or somebody like him, it would be a good thing.  It should help Geno.  As far as the RB situation,  like i said,  Ivory is Idziks guy at this point, he's a 4th round pick, a guy who gets injured a lot, and a guy who doesn't really do much for you on offense.  He's a grinder who can't seem to carry the load.   So not sure what that makes him.   A ground and pound RB who can't really carry the ball more than 15 times a game and never catches a pass isn't exactly doing much for the offense. 

I don't get the "Goodson looked good" statements.    The guy barely played, was suspended, got injured, and in the end he's still a RB who has barely played in his entire NFL career.   There is nothing that says "he's a game changer."  There isn't anything that says he's a starter or backup RB.   I mean damn Matt Flynn had a nice game a few years back, so why not give him a big contract.  Oh yeah a few teams were screwed over on that kind of thought process.    At this point it would be great if Goodson came back and was a game changer, but Rex & Idzik & MM shouldn't dismiss some other RB because Goodson might have something.

As far as Ivory, he's Greene all over again.  Then again he didn't even rush for 1000 yards so he's not even on that level.   He runs hard, he gets injured often, and he'll get the Jets about 70 yards rushing.  He will also never catch a pass and rarely be on the field when they are passing the ball.   Kind of makes it an obvious run play when he is on the field.      You really can't have a RB who is a liability in the passing game.   I mean guys like Manning and Brady and many other QBs dump off passes all the time. Hell the Eagles ran tons of screens to RBs.    Reggie Bush catches more than he runs.        Ivory doesn't need to be those kinds of players, but he sure isn't Lynch or AP either who can run you over, outrun you and race for over 1500 yards.   

I like Ivory,  but the truth is, Ivory is like any other no name running back in the NFL who can be replaced by younger rookies.  He gave the Jets about 800 yards rushing and not much else.   Most teams can find practice squad players who can get you 800 yards rushing.   So saying the RB situation is under control doesn't really mean much considering the Jets don't have a RB who can change a game for them.   

They need offensive players who can change the game.  WR, TE, RB, etc.  They need better OL.  They need Geno to get better.  They need MM to improve his play calling and dump the stupid wildcat.   Once a game, who cares, more than that and it's painful and pointless.   

As far as most of the guys listed,  I"m not sold on Decker.   Peyton Manning just had 55 TDS and over 5000 yards passing this year.  He had another great year last season.   Of course Decker is going to be good when Manning is the QB.     Same goes for Julian up in NE.  Brady is throwing to him.      Those guys would be great if there was a legit #1 and maybe even a #2.    When Julian and Decker are forced to be the #1 guy,  it's a recipe for disaster for Geno and the Jets offense.   

I hope they find some talented playmakers on offense.  Guys who can change entire games around.  And honestly if they could find a true #1 WR and then sign Boldin or somebody like him, it would be a good thing.  It should help Geno.  As far as the RB situation,  like i said,  Ivory is Idziks guy at this point, he's a 4th round pick, a guy who gets injured a lot, and a guy who doesn't really do much for you on offense.  He's a grinder who can't seem to carry the load.   So not sure what that makes him.   A ground and pound RB who can't really carry the ball more than 15 times a game and never catches a pass isn't exactly doing much for the offense. 

Re: Ivory: he was among the top qualified rushers this year, averaging 4.6 YPC. That has him tied with both Matt Forte and C.J. Spiller. Of course he's not as good as either of those guys, but he's in good company with that stat. You talk about 1,000 yards--the only reason he didn't get 1,000 yards was because he didn't get enough carries. Granted that was partially because of injury, which is one of his weaknesses, but it was also because Bilal Powell impressed at times. As to the passing game, running backs can be effective in the passing game without actually catching passes if they're good blockers. I think this group of 3 (Ivory, Powell, Goodson) is adequate, not spectacular but adequate. It's certainly not as much of a problem as having Jeremy Kerley or the 2013 version of Santonio Holmes being your #1 receiving threat.

Re: Decker: yeah, he had Peyton Manning, but he put up 1,000 yards in back to back seasons. Fine, take away Peyton Manning. In 2010, his 2nd year in the league he had 612 yards and 8 touchdowns with Tim Tebow throwing him the ball. Geno Smith in year 2 will be a far superior passer compared to Tim Tebow. He's young, he's healthy and he's productive. He's just the kind of guy you want to pair with your young QB so that he has a steady, consistent receiver to work with for many years to come. Boldin, on the other hand, will be 34 early in the next season. I'm not trying to disrespect the guy, he's good... but for that reason he probably wouldn't be on the team more than 2 years. I think he would be fine if we want to sign both him and Decker or him and Maclin or him and Tate. But the most important thing IMO is to give Geno weapons that he can develop with, long-term. That's something Sanchez never had much of.

The Jets had the #6 rushing attack in the league last year, and the #31 passing surrender. But let's talk more about spending free agent dollars or high draft picks on RBs. Makes a lot of sense.

I completely agree with you.

Considering how inept our passing game was, the #6 rushing attack is that much more impressive.

I really like both of our backs, and our line run blocked pretty well too I thought.

Sign, Golden Tate to compete with Brandin Cooks (18th pick in the draft) for #1/2 duties.  Don't look back; he's a tough sucker...great FA pickup.  Is he a #1? is he a #2?  I say they're both 1A clones. Makes it easy for a QB to throw to a same size/speed guy. Especially when they're hands catchers who fight for the ball. 

Sign, Kenny Britt to compete with Stephen Hill for situational-deep-threat-who-drops-the ball duties. Nothing else, he's this year's Stephen Peterman and makes Hill earn his job.  We can drop him after he gets his inevitable hometown DUI and develop our second rookie WR. 

Kerley mans the slot.  

Nelson plays the perfect #4, and can play anything from #2 to slot for WHEN our guys get injured. 

Sign, Richie Incognito.  He will upgrade our OL in a huge way, toughen up our youngsters, and send a huge FU to our friends down south.  All while keeping Geno upright. 

In the second round, I like that running back from Baylor, Lache Seastruck.  He's a (somehow) squattier version of Maurice Jones-Drew.  

Third round, draft another QB, the one that got away.  He'll be there.  Second pick of the third, draft another WR; Kelvin Benjamin.  He's raw, but is a natural hands catcher who is thick in the seat.  He, like Hill can be our over-sized red-zone guys.  I suppose we need those, especially if our starting tandem (Tate, Cooks, Kerley) can't break 5'11.

I'm good with our TEs.  Winslow is good.  Cumby is good.  Zudfeld looks like he can become something.  

Richie Incognito.   Oh boy.  Not that I have an objection to it, but a lot of people on the site would turn very Blue in the face.  Really can't see the current FO stepping into that.

As far as your other FA's go, think it depends on price.  I don't think Idzik is going to go the Tannenbaum route and throw a lot of long term  $ at players who really don't deserve it, but there is little talent at their  position of need available.

What you might see IMO is overpaying on one year deals to get a player of need.  That way the cap money will be again be  available the following year when perhaps a younger, talented player might be available for a long term deal, and you still get to spend the required amount of cap money for the current year under the CBA

They would be #1s on the Jets worst WR corps in the league as we speak

Irrelevant - you said "pay them #1 WR money", which implies league-wide consideration.

So, in summary - your opinions are wildly illogical, and the arguments you back them up with are garbage.

Not sure why I expected this time to be different.

I would take Tate in a heartbeat.   Drafting a WR and TE early is a must, though.  Considering what we've got at QB, Tate's not being a big breakaway threat is pretty much a moot point.  He would have stood out as a #1 among the current group of Jets' WR's anyway.  If the price is right, jump on it.

If we can trade that extra #3 from the Revis trade (assuming it is a #3 not #4) to move up to get Sammie Watkins then I'm all over that.  I don't necessarily want Idzik to emulate Tannenbaum w/ the trading up all the time but we desperately need a #1 WR.  I'm good w/ signing Eric Decker as his complement (along w/ Kerley, of course).  I hope we draft 2 WRs this draft btw.

As for a pass catching RB, we do need that but I'm sure Idzik can find something on the FA market. Maybe I'm wrong on this but it feels like there are always RBs out there.

If we can trade that extra #3 from the Revis trade (assuming it is a #3 not #4) to move up to get Sammie Watkins then I'm all over that.  I don't necessarily want Idzik to emulate Tannenbaum w/ the trading up all the time but we desperately need a #1 WR.  I'm good w/ signing Eric Decker as his complement (along w/ Kerley, of course).  I hope we draft 2 WRs this draft btw.

As for a pass catching RB, we do need that but I'm sure Idzik can find something on the FA market. Maybe I'm wrong on this but it feels like there are always RBs out there.

sign a #1 at almost any cost. how many years has it been since we've been allowed to pass judgment on a jets passer without enduring the hoots of "but there is no surrounding talent! evaluations are impossible!"

I would take Tate in a heartbeat.   Drafting a WR and TE early is a must, though.  Considering what we've got at QB, Tate's not being a big breakaway threat is pretty much a moot point.  He would have stood out as a #1 among the current group of Jets' WR's anyway.  If the price is right, jump on it.

yeah i think tate or nicks are both good options

I think you guys are a little too hung up on FA.  There will be specific FA guys they target and will bid high for.  Other than that, they will just be looking at FAs to shore up weak spots.  It doesn't matter if a guy is a #1, 1a or 2.  If he is better than what we have and a value, you sign him.  Golden Tate not being a #1 is not a problem until you pony up crazy money for him.  He makes the team better.  Doing that will keep you from having any gaping holes at draft time so you can go BAP. I'll also be interested to see what they do with Holmes.  I'd like to just cut ties with him, but I have a strange feeling he may be back with a pay cut.

all the reports say he lost a step but played this year coming off a major foot injury if i recall correctly, primed for a rebound year

He's a pouter. Doesnt believe in the offseason stuff....with a young QB it's not a good idea. He's got some Burress and Holmes in him...Jets don't need that.

Archived