Rapoport tweets Jets looking to trade up (MERGED)

TnT

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I doubt beckham would be the guy I wouldn't just dismiss this because if idzik being tight lipped. Last year it was leaked all over before day 2 of the draft that we were looking to trade up for geno. Everyone knew we were making a play at Vick and cj- they were talked about as foregone conclusions. I don't think idzik is as secretive as he's made out to be.

I'm sure Idzik just let it slip, you know, accidentally that he wants to trade up.. And since he's such a gum-flapper, he probably mentioned what round he wants to trade into, and the exact player he's targeting. Because you know that crazy Izzy, he just loves to share information.

Looking ahead I don't see a WR as good as Watkins or Evans next year, not even with juniors. 

You could be right, however Im interested in seeing how Chris Harper does in his junior season out of Cal. I was on Draftbreakdown's website looking at some defensive player, I forgot who it was. Nonetheless, I just kept seeing this WR make play after play as I'm trying to concentrate on this defender. I find out his name and do some digging and this kid looks good.

While I doubt beckham would be the guy I wouldn't just dismiss this because if idzik being tight lipped. Last year it was leaked all over before day 2 of the draft that we were looking to trade up for geno. Everyone knew we were making a play at Vick and cj- they were talked about as foregone conclusions. I don't think idzik is as secretive as he's made out to be.

We didn't trade up for Geno, though.  And as far as free agents go, they visit.  And they tweet.  CJ gets a call from the Jets FO and the world knows about it.  Has nothing to do with Idzik.  Idzik is tight-lipped, and he's basically gagged the entire team including the most blustery, boisterous coach to enter the league in the last ten years.  This reeks of smoke-screen.

Not as big yes, but he was clocked at 4.31 in March at Alabama so not as fast might not apply.

Not as quick as Watkins or as big a physical presence as Evans. I'd take either one over him.

Just guessing with WR anyway - maybe they want a QB or Barr. 

Not going to happen in the draft. I don't care if he trades down. Hope he doesn't trade up though. I will continue to bash him for not putting the best (or anywhere close to the best) product on the field in 2014.

Also, STFU.

Tell us all who the best FA wide receiver, quarterback and runningback were. And follow that up by saying which team those players now play for.

Ian Rapoport from NFL.com is reporting that the New York Jets are looking to trade up in the NFL Draft.  The Jets currently own the 18th pick in the first round and 12 picks overall.

It is hard to tell what rumors are real at this time of year.  Sal Paolantonio discussed the possibility of teams using reporters to promote an agenda on SiriusXM NFL Radio recently. He said his rule is he won’t go public with rumors like this until he has two sources.  Assuming that Ian Rapoport follows the same thought process, this trade rumor is interesting.  It does seem to go against John Idzik’s approach of  finding value and not paying a high price for it.

We speculated that the Jets wouldn’t be interesting in trading up early in the draft in our Jets draft video.  Our thought process has been in a deep draft for wide receivers, the Jets would go cornerback in round one and wide receiver in round two.  The good news is the draft will start on Thursday so the answer will be here soon enough.

Former NY Jets Scout Joe Bommarito was on JetNation Radio Tuesday night.  He spoke about the thought process for the Jets on draft day and gave some excellent insight into what the Jets thought about some players last year; specifically Geno Smith and Dee Milliner.  You can listen to the entire interview below.

Online Sports Radio at Blog Talk Radio with JetNation Radio on BlogTalkRadio

If they trade up it wouldn't be a substantial move - maybe 5-7 slots up. Not sure what that would cost in picks. Anybody have an idea what it would cost to go from 18 to lets say 13? If Gilbert was still there at 13, I'd be giving St. Louis an offer they  couldn't refuse.  Don't think it  wouldn't break the bank either.  Regardless, we would be guaranteed one of the top corners. Or stay put and grab Cooks. He would be the smart pick seeing how he could stretch the D with Decker and Kerley going over the middle.  Don't see Idzik trading back, we have enough picks as it is in this draft and its very deep so there's lots of playmakers that will impact this team.       

Cleveland is supposedly very high on Evans. Could be smokescreens but that particular one has been making the rounds to a really high degree.

My guess is that if we did trade up it certainly wouldn't be any higher than 8 or 9.

My guess is that if we did trade up in the top 10, it certainly wouldn't be any lower than the 10th.

I really don't see a need for trading up in the first round, but if they do it I hope it's for a WR. I like Beckham Jr. and hope we land him somehow, but I'm nervous about trading up to accomplish that. Unfortunately, I see a run on WRs going before we pick so that might be where this trade-up talk is based on.

Sure. Spend a first round pick for a guy who was the SECOND best receiver on his team.

Why would he do this? As it stands right now, the Jets could go corner in rd 1 and still get a quality WR in rd 2. Doesn't make sense to me

I tend to agree with this.  They can stay put and take the best available WR in Rd. 1 then go best available CB in Rd. 2 or vice versa.  They could also trade down which I think would be a better scenario than trading up.  Stock pile picks on top of what they have.

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) tweeted at 6:45pm - 6 May 14:

Mentioned earlier the #Jets are looking to trade up. Their target is the Top 10, and I’m told they are very hot on #LSU WR Odell Beckham. (https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/463811764388237312)

If they arent trading up into the top 10 for a WR named Evans...then WTF!

....oooorrrr this is a smokescreen in the draft game. GO IDZIK!

+1

I want Mike Evans!!!!

Sure. Spend a first round pick for a guy who was the SECOND best receiver on his team.

Not sure what you're babbling about with this. They had similar production in college, have similar sizes, and Beckham crushed Landry in all their athletic measureables (40, Vert, Broad, shuttle). It's not even a knock on Landry, just that one is significantly more explosive and thus considered the better pro prospect than the other.

Why would he do this? As it stands right now, the Jets could go corner in rd 1 and still get a quality WR in rd 2. Doesn't make sense to me

If Rex is such a great coach, why would he need another 1st round corner? How many first round picks were in Seattle's secondary that was one of the key reasons they won? They can get a corner in a later round and still be fine.

If a trade up for someone like Evans is available, you make it every day.

If Rex is such a great coach, why would he need another 1st round corner? How many first round picks were in Seattle's secondary that was one of the key reasons they won? They can get a corner in a later round and still be fine.

agree, if they trade up its for a WR or TE Ebron. They will only take a corner at 18 if Ebron and the WRs they like are gone at 18.

The problem isn't coaching, it's getting talent in here to coach. In 2011, the Seahawks used one of their two fifth rounders on Richard Sherman, one of nine picks overall they had that year. The same year, the Jets had just six picks - which actually was a bonanza for Rex, as his first two drafts netted 3 and 4 picks, respectively. In fact, I over those three years the Seahawks drafted exactly double (26 vs. 13) the number of players the Jets took. Pretty significant.

Where do you think Evans is gonna fall?

The draft pick value chart (I know, but what else can we use as a guide) at drafthistory.com suggests that moving up to #13 would cost the Jets their 1st, 3rd, and 4th round picks. Moving up to #10 would cost their 1st and 2nd. Still not high enough for Evans? Trading up to #7 would cost their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. Is Evans even there? Is he worth all that even if he is?

No.

The Jets reversed their trend of trading away way too many picks last year. They need to continue that trend, and use all their picks, even possibly adding more in the top 100 if they can.

Not sure what you're babbling about with this. They had similar production in college, have similar sizes, and Beckham crushed Landry in all their athletic measureables (40, Vert, Broad, shuttle). It's not even a knock on Landry, just that one is significantly more explosive and thus considered the better pro prospect than the other.

Not babbling about anything. Beckham stunk against top competition. Keep the muscles. Get a football player. I donut want to draft Landry or BBeckham. This is a Kool-Aid pick.

There is a big difference between inquiring about who is interested in entertaining a trade up and wanting to trade up.  On draft day the Jets will be looking for Beckham or Cooks to fall to them, so a natural inquiry would be to see which teams in front of them will entertain a trade back for a team targeting Beckham.  One of those teams tells Rappaport and we have a story about the Jets being gung ho to trade up into the top 10 for Beckham.  What happened last year with Geno when he made it into the second round is how Idzik is going to handle these things going forward.  He is going to slow play and wait for his guy to fall to him.

There is a big difference between inquiring about who is interested in entertaining a trade up and wanting to trade up.  On draft day the Jets will be looking for Beckham or Cooks to fall to them, so a natural inquiry would be to see which teams in front of them will entertain a trade back for a team targeting Beckham.  One of those teams tells Rappaport and we have a story about the Jets being gung ho to trade up into the top 10 for Beckham.  What happened last year with Geno when he made it into the second round is how Idzik is going to handle these things going forward.  He is going to slow play and wait for his guy to fall to him.

yup more than likely

Everything also indicates that Idzik operates methodically and is rigid in sticking to his value assessment, so I'd be surprised if they gave up the farm for one player.

I think I might pass out to see the Jets move up to get a top tier OFFENSIVE talent like Evans.  Once I came to I would be very happy. 

I think I might pass out to see the Jets move up to get a top tier OFFENSIVE talent like Evans.  Once I came to I would be very happy. 

Happy and dont forget to mention with Gravy stains on your mouth/chin ;)

scenario A:  this is an unintended leak of the jets true intentions.

scenario B: this is an intentional leak of misinformation

scenario C: this is a reporter making sh*t up with no source

A&B make no sense, so I vote C

I agree with staying put and drafting Cooks if available.  That being said I went to University at Buffalo and I follow them religiously as possible.  If we traded up to draft Mack I would literally sh*t myself.  

Archived