Geno Smith: I’ve shown flashes of being a Pro Bowl quarterback

JOJOTOWNSELL

only in america

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/10/geno-smith-ive-shown-flashes-of-being-a-pro-bowl-quarterback/

Jets quarterback Geno Smith is worrying about playing the Titans this weekend, not about the possibility that the Jets are going to take a quarterback early in the 2015 draft.

Smith may have been benched as the Jets have spiraled to 11 losses in their last 12 games this season behind an offense averaging the fewest net passing yards per game, but he says that hasn’t shaken his faith in his ability to be a long-term answer at quarterback. Smith says he has the “utmost” confidence in his ability and a high opinion of some of his work, although he admits that the good things don’t happen often enough

“I’ve shown flashes of being a Pro Bowl-caliber quarterback, but what we’re looking for here is consistency. The best teams have consistent quarterback play and I realize that and that’s truly what I want to show to the fans and everyone outside the building,” Smith said, via Newsday.

Those flashes have been few and far between for Smith over his first two seasons. He’s been more consistent when it comes to making poor decisions and turning the ball over, issues which may be exacerbated by a weak supporting cast on offense but can’t be easily explained away if you’re making the case that better days are right around the corner.

With so much uncertainty about who will be making the decisions for the Jets this offseason, it is difficult to know what the future holds for Smith with the organization. It’s more clear that anyone in charge of the direction of the franchise has to pursue and consider all other options in hopes of finally solving the quarterback issues that have continually sunk the Jets over the years.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking Leftwich 2.0-big guy, makes mincemeat out of NCAA defenses on physcial ability, but no conditioning, no idea how to break down an NFL defense.

Yeah, I made the Leftwich comparison months ago on JI.

But Leftwich was never our problem, Geno is, therefore Winston would the next version of the same problem.  

Comparing Winston to Geno only works on a surface level i.e. how they look. As people they are totally different.

Geno came from a gimmick air raid offense. Geno is a bookworm, gym rat, genuinely nice person. He's smart. Geno works hard crunching film etc. He puts in the time.  But he doesn't have the skills to make it happen on the field. He doesn't make quick reads or any reads other than the first one. He doesn't win games or make anyone around him better. It's like his brain freezes up when there's pressure. And in the NFL there's always pressure. He goes on long losing streaks (that was true at WVU).  He's somewhat skinny and much faster than people think. 

meanwhile Winston comes from a pro style offense (which is rare these days in college). He's not all that smart, or prepared, and he's from all accounts an awful human being. It's possible he's a criminal. But on the field he makes plays and wins. He gets better when there's more pressure. The brighter the lights, the better he plays. He makes multiple reads. He doesn't go into a funk and disappear for months at a time.  He's physically huge and can shake off tacklers, he's actually slower than people think. 

They are different prospects. They are similar in their skin tone.

it's true the FSU legacy is toxic. But still what's the other option? Pass on QB and draft another lineman? The Jets need to take a swing they can't just sit back and look at pitches. 

lol the jets swing at every pitch - even wild ones

I would not mind Garrett Grayson in 2nd or 3rd round if mariota and winston gone (altho Winston scares me as a Jets Fan what could go wrong will)

Take the sure bet lineman or even cooper with 1st pick and bring in Hoyer and rebuild line for a while.

With all this said Smith is going against a horrible team on Sunday. To give you an idea how bad, three

of their best players are ex Jets.. Lil Leon, Shonn Greene, and Pito.

Smith will go out and have a good game. Knock the Jets out of QB contention in the coming draft. Next Monday there will be posters here running victory laps, talking about how he has turned the corner, "Geno is right, he'll be going to the 2016 Pro Bowl".

Guys a stiff

Comparing Winston to Geno only works on a surface level i.e. how they look. As people they are totally different.

meanwhile Winston comes from a pro style offense (which is rare these days in college). He's not all that smart, or prepared, and he's from all accounts an awful human being. It's possible he's a criminal. But on the field he makes plays and wins. He gets better when there's more pressure. The brighter the lights, the better he plays. He makes multiple reads. He doesn't go into a funk and disappear for months at a time.  He's physically huge and can shake off tacklers, he's actually slower than people think. 

They are different prospects. They are similar in their skin tone.

HUH?

If Winston isn't all that smart how did he make the All-Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Football Team? http://augustafreepress.com/fsus-jameis-winston-headlines-academic-acc-football-team/

Archived