Steven A Smith: Eagles/Chip Kelly racist?

Blackout

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha! Saw this coming. And that was before they lost Maclin (but also before they signed Gore).

If McCoy continues his freak-out, and Buffalo nixes the trade, what is Philadelphia going to do with him? They're not going to get the same value in return from another team willing to take on his contract, that they're getting from Buffalo, now that the cat's out of the bag.  He's going to (understandably) be a pretty miserable teammate for Kelly, and McCoy is all too aware this is who wanted him off the Eagles this year. 

We all can see a lot of the reason for this (if not the reason for it) was a salary dump. McCoy, like other players, isn't likely to look at it that way. All he's going to see is that his HC tried to trade him for a linebacker with 1 year of experience, who missed all of last year with a serious injury. Given McCoy's past comments about a prior Eagles controversy, it might even get racial (keeping Riley Cooper and dumping pro bowl Jackson for nothing; a year later Kelly's dumping pro bowl/all-pro McCoy for Alonso who once almost won DROY and hasn't played a down since then). One doesn't knows how McCoy may partially interpret it, however few people may see it that way.

Regardless, if this doesn't go through then Philadelphia could have a $12M major headache on their hands. We'll see how this unfolds within days (maybe even today), but if Buffalo backs out of the deal then Kelly may have to cut him outright like he did with DeSean Jackson a year earlier. 

:drama:

Substitute a then-disgruntled McCoy making the accusation for Stephen A is all. (Buffalo threw money at McCoy so that fire got put out). But no way was time going to lapse with no one taking this angle. Cut 3 black star players and kept the white guy who was caught on video using you know what word. Like Smith, though, I forgot to include Zach Ertz.

And as he's shown with many things over the years, everyone still knows what the "A" stands for in Stephen A. Smith.

I wish Stephen A. Smith would shave that thing off the back of his head already. He looks ridiculous. His hairline starts on his neck.

Stopped watching that show a while ago when I noticed that Stephen kept using the same, dumb words over and over again, every day, to somehow come off real slick/smart.

"At this particular junkjah"

"This doo"

"Aw hell naw. This blasphemiss!"

"Y'all didn't know"

Getting headaches over here just thinking about him saying those words.

Stephen A. Smith is too smart to come right out and call Chip Kelly a racist. Smith knows that an accusation like that would require evidence, and Smith has none.

So what Smith did on ESPN First Take today is he merely implied that Kelly is a racist, going over a selection of Kelly’s recent roster moves and then hinting that Kelly might not want black players in his locker room.

“Chip Kelly makes decisions over the last couple of years that, dare I say, leave a few brothers feeling uncomfortable,” Smith said. “I think that’s fair to say. I mean, we’re sitting here looking at some of the decisions that Chip Kelly makes and I’m like what is up? What’s up with that? I mean, it’s like you’ve got to be his kind of guy, you know? And I’m like, well, Riley Cooper’s your kind of guy?”

By mentioning Cooper, Smith was implying that Kelly is OK with the fact that Cooper used the N-word in a much-publicized video in 2013. The truth is Kelly was not OK with that; the Eagles fined Cooper and sent him home from training camp. But

Cooper’s continued presence on the team — combined with the release of a few high-profile black players — makes Smith question Kelly’s motives. According to Smith, Kelly isn’t only looking for players who fit into his system on the field. Kelly is also looking for players who fit into the culture that Kelly wants in his locker room, and Smith questions what kind of culture that is.

“Let’s get beyond the system, the operative word is ‘culture,'” Smith said. “The culture is what resonates with me more profoundly because I’m looking at a Chip Kelly and I’m like, really? Now, you’ve got to remember, where did I work for 16 years? I mean, this is Philadelphia. You understand what I’m saying? I’m always in Philly, and I’m telling you right now you’ve got people walking the streets and, hell with it, you’ve got brothers walking the streets going like ‘What’s up with Chip? I don’t understand this. I really don’t understand what you’re doing.’ Now I’m not saying I know, I’m just saying that it does strike me as a tad bit odd. I’m going to repeat this. Gone: LeSean McCoyJeremy Maclin, you know,DeSean Jackson. Staying: Riley Cooper. Really? Really? OK.”

Kelly has made dozens of personnel decisions with the Eagles, but Smith seems to see sinister motives in three of them: trading McCoy, letting Maclin walk away in free agency, and releasing Jackson. Smith, of course, failed to mention some of the white veterans Kelly has released, like James Casey and Todd Herremans, because that would undermine Smith’s thesis.

Smith also failed to mention that the player Kelly acquired in the McCoy trade,Kiko Alonso, is Latino. And Smith fails to mention that the quarterback Kelly just signed to a new contract, Mark Sanchez, is of Mexican-American heritage. And Smith fails to mention that the quarterback Kelly desperately wants to draft,Marcus Mariota, is of Samoan heritage. And Smith fails to mention that the cornerback Kelly is expected to sign when free agency opens tomorrow, Byron Maxwell, is black. And

Smith fails to mention that the running back Kelly is expected to sign when free agency opens tomorrow, Frank Gore, is black.

If Kelly is a racist who wants to build a roster full of white guys, he’s doing a spectacularly bad job of it.

But, again, Smith didn’t say Kelly is a racist. Smith knows that a serious accusation like that would require serious evidence. And Smith has none.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/espns-stephen-a-smith-suggests-racism-in-chip-kellys-roster-moves/

Well, good luck trying to field a successful all-white team.  Nonsense.  SAS is a tool.

I suggest going to other boards and see people freak out even more than the people here on the moves.   Probably one of my favorite things to do this time of the year, is to go to a team board that just lost a player they were favored to get, and then see the reactions turn from "He'll be a Pro Bowl caliber guy on our team, with him we have X, Y, Z, K lineup that will be unstoppable, I can really feel the excitement" to "If he was so good, why did his team let him go?  I think the coaching staff saw something and backed out guys, and that's a lot of money for position X, when three years ago, Player 2 made x amount of money, so this is ridiculous".   

I don't really like refreshing threads to much, because if the information leaks, you are going to know anyway.  Not like knowing 2 mins earlier than everyone else really makes a difference with nothing going on right now, lol.   

back in 2004 in high school i used to go to other team forums pretending to be a Patriot fan and would talk mad smack to them just to make other people hate the Pats

since my IP address was in Maine I figured they can't assume I'm a troll Jets fan :D

Race baiting at its worst, how is he not fired.

Trade a black rb, sign a black rb. Cut a black cb, sign a black cb. Let 2 black WR go, draft 2 black WR- huff, Mathews. Sign a Mexican qb, infatuated with a Samoan one

Cut two pro bowl pass catchers because they're black. Keep 2 white ones (one of which already is a known racist) and trades an all-pro black RB for a white ILB with 1 year experience who is coming off a knee injury that caused him to miss his whole sophomore season.

How can u b so blind?!?!?!? You must be racist also, that's why you don't see it!!

lol it was impossible for no one to connect these dots and make an ass out of himself claiming it's an actual beef.

back in 2004 in high school i used to go to other team forums pretending to be a Patriot fan and would talk mad smack to them just to make other people hate the Pats

since my IP address was in Maine I figured they can't assume I'm a troll Jets fan :biggrin:

Lol, I never really joined forums, I would just love watching the changes in attitudes with people when something happens.  I think back in high school, I used to follow the baseball forums more closely, would love to see the RedSox fans change attitudes, after winning and losing.  I think the '03 playoffs and the Arod saga was the best thing, and then '04 happened and ruined it forever.  

Simply put but quite correct. Smiths an a** who just tries to get ratings by saying stupid stuff.

To be quite honest I have absolutely had it with the racial crap. We are ALL on equal ground and if you perform in anything you may do your not going to be turned away no matter what color you are. Sure there might be some isolated cases but you can't be responsible for everyone. I'm not a prejudice person but this crap in this country needs to stop and it certainly has no place in the media. Did either one of these clowns bother to look at the current color ratios in sports ? How on earth can you call racial issues in any situation these days ? *Idiots like Smith and Brainless need to think about the words they sh!t out of their mouths

To be quite honest I have absolutely had it with the racial crap. We are ALL on equal ground and if you perform in anything you may do your not going to be turned away no matter what color you are. Sure there might be some isolated cases but you can't be responsible for everyone. I'm not a prejudice person but this crap in this country needs to stop and it certainly has no place in the media. Did either one of these clowns bother to look at the current color ratios in sports ? How on earth can you call racial issues in any situation these days ? *Idiots like Smith and Brainless need to think about the words they sh!t out of their mouths

I'm glad to hear that racism is over.  You made my day.

I'm surprised and disheartened by Mr. A Smith's findings.  I thought that Chip Kelly was prejudice-free but now it appears he is not.  Query whether the DOJ is going to investigate the Eagles now to determine whether there have been any civil rights violations.

I'm surprised and disheartened by Mr. A Smith's findings.  I thought that Chip Kelly was prejudice-free but now it appears he is not.  Query whether the DOJ is going to investigate the Eagles now to determine whether there have been any civil rights violations.

tumblr_inline_mpl3h1xRnR1qz4rgp.gif

j/k this story is bogus

How many "all white" offensive lines have the Patriots had over the last 12 years?

Really, really SMART Olines, BB likes guys that are smart enough to know how to hold without being caught.

See Colon on Jets for reference.

SAS needs to look into this!

Stephen A Smith likens himself to an athlete and likes to present himself as "one of the guys" which he is not. Talks about Washington D.C. as Chocolate City and simply makes a fool of himself nearly every week - as does Skip Bayless. I stopped watching that show a while ago. Waste of time.

How many "all white" offensive lines have the Patriots had over the last 12 years?

Really, really SMART Olines, BB likes guys that are smart enough to know how to hold without being caught.

See Colon on Jets for reference.

SAS needs to look into this!

You had me until "Really, really SMART Olines," So why do you assume that because they are white they are smart?   Or is your point that white people cheat more ;-)?  

Steven A. has been embarressment for some time now.  How this guy is still on the air is a true mystery to me.  There so many more qualified commentators of a variety of ethnic backgrounds who could do his job.   I bet Ryan Ruocco is so glad he no longer has to tolerate that blabbering buffoon on the radio anymore.  It was painful to listen to him constantly interrupt and dominate the conversation.   I am all for discussing sensitive topics like race relations, rather than pretending racism doesn't exist, but he diverts attention from real situations, with nonsense like this.  

I hope ESPN drops this clown once and for all.  

You had me until "Really, really SMART Olines," So why do you assume that because they are white they are smart?   Or is your point that white people cheat more ;-)?

Just throwing some sarcasm in there. Do you remember the white QB is smarter argument. Something tells me Winston has absolutely no common sense but I actually think he's a pretty damn smart QB.

Just throwing some sarcasm in there. Do you remember the white QB is smarter argument. Something tells me Winston has absolutely no common sense but I actually think he's a pretty damn smart QB.

Cool; just busting chops, lol. 

Race baiting at its worst, how is he not fired.

Trade a black rb, sign a black rb. Cut a black cb, sign a black cb. Let 2 black WR go, draft 2 black WR- huff, Mathews. Sign a Mexican qb, infatuated with a Samoan one

Ya but it doesn't matter cuz they're not all black.  Everyone knows racism is only directed at black people.  Didn't you watch the Oscars?  The white guilt was palpable.

Archived