Pretty much a lock we go olb at #6

Obrien2Toon

I think this just takes Trae Waynes off the board at 6.  I can still see some draft day movement, esp given today's QB carousel'ing; there's a good chance we're not even picking at 6.  At which point, you have to consider OL.  WR still isn't off the board for me--though we can obv. wait until the second or third round, and this is a rich year for RBs.  It'd be neat to get a high-profile RB cherry-picked by Gailey to run his offense. 

I think this just takes Trae Waynes off the board at 6.  I can still see some draft day movement, esp given today's QB carousel'ing; there's a good chance we're not even picking at 6.  At which point, you have to consider OL.  WR still isn't off the board for me--though we can obv. wait until the second or third round, and this is a rich year for RBs.  It'd be neat to get a high-profile RB cherry-picked by Gailey to run his offense. 

I want to see a RB but not in rd 1.

I think that Bowles from what he said really wants to have offensive tools. My sense is that unlike Rex, he realizes that he can coach up the defensive players but only has an "imprint" on the offense and coupled with our recent draft history I think it very possible we go WR if Cooper or White is there. Mariota won't he is going to Philly at #2. 

If we don't go Mariota then who we got throwing the ball Geno? Fitzpatrick? We we could have nabbed Hoyer to a short deal. Would love Beasly but man we gotta get a qb who can make throws first

I honestly think if Mariota is at 6, there is no way to pass on him. I'm assuming we bring in Fitz to compete with Geno. That way Mariota won't have to take the field at all for a minimum of one year.

If Philly moves ahead then it means they have mortgaged their next two drafts then we go OLB, with an eye on Hundley maybe.

If Fowler is there at 6, take him.

Otherwise, Randy Gregory may make the most sense as a replacement for Pace.  If Gregory puts on 20 pounds he should be able to do it pretty well.  He doesn't have great natural pass rushing moves but he's a big body who could hold the strong side down like Pace has done here for a long time.

I'm not a fan of Vic Beasley.  Reminds me of Aaron Maybin.  Great heart and motor but he's too undersized to take on NFL o-linemen.

In the 2nd round, I am intrigued by Duke Johnson.  He can be our Spiller.

Nah, we trade that pick.

We're not set everywhere, we need a QB, and trading that pick could help us find one.

You need a partner to trade. This draft has a nice plateau of talent that extends maybe halfway thru the first round. I wouldn't want to see the team trade past the 12th pick or so, and teams in that range don't really have a strong incentive to trade up (unless they're absolutely in love with a specific player) because there's no great drop off this year.

I've thought all along that an edge rusher should be the pick, and it looks like Maccagnan agrees with me. He's set himself up at WR and in the secondary to do exactly that. After the QB, the guy who gets after the QB is the premium position in the NFL. It's the smart value pick at #6 in this year's draft, as the Jets should have a choice between a couple big names.

We're set everywhere now, except olb and of course QB.

But think they're not sold on Mariota.

Fact that this Front Office doesnt seem sold on mariota makes me think Mariota is a slam dunk for us at 6. ;)

(or massive amount of picks from Philly if Chip continues to wear no clothes)

You need a partner to trade. This draft has a nice plateau of talent that extends maybe halfway thru the first round. I wouldn't want to see the team trade past the 12th pick or so, and teams in that range don't really have a strong incentive to trade up (unless they're absolutely in love with a specific player) because there's no great drop off this year.

I've thought all along that an edge rusher should be the pick, and it looks like Maccagnan agrees with me. He's set himself up at WR and in the secondary to do exactly that. After the QB, the guy who gets after the QB is the premium position in the NFL. It's the smart value pick at #6 in this year's draft, as the Jets should have a choice between a couple big names.

Edge rushers and wide receivers are going to be hot commodities for the #6 pick.

Teams that think they are 1 player away will be motivated to move up. 

If not, I'm content to keep it and take Cooper or White, or the best OLB possible. Has to be a 3-down instant starter type of guy though, imo.

I'm actually hopeful that the Jet's can trade up to #3 if Tennessee doesn't take Mariota. Even if we don't love him we have to take that chance. We've added enough talent this year to guarantee a mid round pic next year. Strike now while in top 5 range.

Archived