Bowles: Geno will take reps with first team, Fitzpatrick with second team

JetBlue

Hey, you're a funny guy too. What do ya' know?

I have my moments. 

I thought Crusher was the biggest Jet fan in the world... ?

Size - yes.

Heart - no.  

I'm the most passionate Jets fan on the planet.  Crusher is a planet. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats such a crap way to spin what was really said. 

Bowles ment in OTA's and everything before training came.

He also said Geno is top of the depth chart but Fitz is injured and there other QB not hear yet.

Thats why I don't follow Mehta on Twitter or read anything he writes.

Remember when I said that people need to get used to the fact that Geno Smith will be the starter in 2015 and I proceeded to get roasted for the next 5 pages for saying so?

That was fun.

What Bowles didn't tell you Jiffy Pop, is that's the plan for Day 1

Ryan Fitzpatrick career stats: 123 TDs, 101 INTs, 60.2% completions, 1.26 TD passes per game played, 6.6 yds/comp, 11.0 yds/att

Geno Smith career stats: 25 TDs, 34 INTs, 57.5% completions, 0.83 TD passes per game played, 6.9 yds/comp, 12.0 yds/att

The only reasons Geno started over Vick in 2014 were:

1) He was drafted by the regime

2) He deserved a chance with the way he ended his rookie year and played in the preseason

Those conditions no longer apply as the new regime has no attachment to Geno and he ended up showing very little improvement from years 1-2.  It is a true QB competition this year, and there is no question as to who the better QB is, especially on a team that needs a "game manager" to complement a strong defense.  It's Ryan Fitzpatrick.

He also said Geno is top of the depth chart but Fitz is injured and there other QB not hear yet.

Manish Mehta: trolling Jets fans since... God, how long has it been now?

Even though Mehta is just pulling our collective legs, it really doesn't matter who gets the first team reps in OTAs. I have faith in Bowles that this will be a true, honest, and fluid competition that will end up with a clear and distinct winner, when all is said and done, by the third pre-season game (whoever that may be). While I'm sure that the CS thinks it's in the team's best interest for Geno to win the starting job, I'm confident that that will be dependent on Geno actually showing that he has earned it. If he doesn't, Fitz will--and that is barring another QB being added.

Whoever appears to be the front-runner now is meaningless. There's a lot of practice, and a lot to prove, between now and when the final decision is made. I'm sure adjustments will be made during training camp if needed. May the better QB win.

No surprise, esp with fitz being injured. I think geno will start opening day. I think he will continue to improve and will be better this year. Better talent around him, better coaching too. Not ready to give up on him just yet.

Don't shoot the messenger!  Just passing this along.... 

Jets head coach Todd Bowles said Geno Smith will take the first-team reps.

Newly acquired Ryan Fitzpatrick will take reps with the second team.

“I would be sitting there lying if I said they’re going to get equal reps,” Bowles said (Mehta, March 24).

The Jets sent a late-round conditional draft pick to Houston for Fitzpatrick. It will be a 2016 seventh-round conditional pick that can become a sixth-round pick depending on his playing time with the Jets (Mehta & McClain, March 11).

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/bowles-geno-will-take-reps-with-first-team-fitzpatrick-with-second-team/

I guess the honeymoon period for Bowles is officially over.... 

No need to shoot you, obvious formality is obvious.

Geno was the starting QB, he'll go into 2015 as the "starting QB".

If he's still the starting QB after more than a few weeks, THEN I'd be worried/puzzled.

This is just the usual football unwritten rule stuff.

I hate Geno more than the next guy, but if Bowles believes he gives is the best chance to win, then I have to support it. It's still premature. OTAs, training camp, and the first 3 pre-season games will determine who plays.

I never understand why people say they hate Geno. Say he sucks or I wish he isn't the starter but hating him is a bit excessive. I save my hates for our opponents. I root for all my Jet players.

Here is the problem, remove the talent issue and look at the actual plays.  Watch the guy play, watch him miss open receivers, watch him turn the ball over for no good reason at all.

If a player comes into the leauge, makes mistakes but has some good games that gives you hope he can develop, so here we are at year two thus you expect a few less errors, a few more good games/plays.  Instead you get the same player, same poor decisions, same suspect accuracy, same turnover problems.

Lets look at an equivalent on the oline, Winters.  Played his 1st year, lots of errors a bit of promise, next year as bad or worse.  Here we are i year three and he will be lucky to make the team at all he has fallen out of favour.  You MUST progress from year one to two or you become a suspect and in this day and age you can't just toss another year out the window on the 'hope' the guy will get it.

By being named the present #1 guy at this moment he is getting all the chance he needs or deserves but you can bet he will be tossed to the heap if he does not come out and look great from day one.

This

I never understand why people say they hate Geno. Say he sucks or I wish he isn't the starter but hating him is a bit excessive. I save my hates for our opponents. I root for all my Jet players.

THIS

I said I hate Geno. I never once said I don't root for him. I just think he sucks.

Really? Do you have a quote from Bowles stating this, or is it what you believe? Not saying you are wrong but unless you have some documentation of this, it is just your opinion. Btw the word is "meant", not trying to be the spelling police, just saying.

I said I hate Geno. I never once said I don't root for him. I just think he sucks.

I think he sucks too but Why hate him? We choose him and decided to start him and pay him millions. Not his fault if we made a bad decision.

I think he sucks too but Why hate him? We choose him and decided to start him and pay him millions. Not his fault if we made a bad decision.

I hate him for the same reason I hate Kyle Wilson, Gholston, DeWayne Robertson, Stephen Hill, Anthony Schlegal, Kyle Brady. We took major steps backwards as a franchise due to their poor performance on the field.

He's a 23 year old player, was forced into full-time duty due to injury as a rookie, and earlier than he should have been, he was shackled by a head coach that did not believe in offensive football, and was handicapped with ridiculously underwhelming talent at the receiver skill positions in both his first year due to injuries to key players, and again last year due to injuries again to Decker inthe first half of the year, and didn't really have legit weapons until the Harvin trade, and then until Decker returned to full healthy by mid-season.  When he had players back healthy, when Geno settled down after a benching that I believe was the best thing for him, to get his mind right, he improve dramatically, and finished strong in the final 6 game stretch of the season.

Nobody has patience anymore to let a QB develop, to mature, and to endure the growing pains of being a young QB playing at the NFL level.

It's a damn shame

Geno absolutely should be in the mix for the starting job, he has franchise ability, he needs to put it together, and the Jets should still prepare a contingency plan around him, but let's not write off Geno just yet.  The lot of fans playing arm-chair scout who already believe they know Geno can't succeed need to calm down.

Bowles didn't exactly give geno the ringing endorsement that Mehta said he did. Today Bowles stated he's the starter for now. Made no mention of 1st team reps. Geno will be lucky to be on the roster in September

Okay here we go again.....

Geno Smith will be the Jets’ starting QB entering training camp says new coach Todd Bowles 

PHOENIX – Todd Bowles isn’t even going to attempt the charade that the previous Jets regime tried in training camp last season: There will not be an equitable distribution of first-team reps between his quarterbacks.

Geno Smith will be the starter entering training camp ahead of veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick ... if the Jets don’t draft a signal caller in five weeks.

“You can’t have equal first-team reps with a quarterback,” Bowles said at the NFL meetings on Tuesday. “Geno will start out taking them, but that doesn’t mean that Ryan can’t take his spot If Ryan’s playing better and performing better… Obviously, we have to cross that bridge when we get to it for him to take the position. But to give the quarterbacks equal reps, I would be sitting here lying if I said they’re going to get equal reps. Geno is going to take reps with the first team and Ryan’s going to take reps with the second team. We’ll let it play out on the field.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/geno-smith-jets-starting-qb-entering-camp-coach-article-1.2160621

The amount of denial on this board is truly amazing...

It wasnt a prediction.  I said people need to get used to it.  I got blasted for 5 pages on how wrong I was blah blah blah.  And now your Head Coach said he's taking first team reps and he's be lying if to say they'll have equal reps.

Again, that was a fun day for me. 

I listened to the Maccagnan interview today on SIrius and the dude just gets it.   Mac, Bowles, and Gailey are all on the exact same page and not only get along but all seem to share the same philosophy. 

That being said, I don't think Mac is wed to Smith as the starter.   In fact, he said (paraphrasing) "the jets invested a 2nd rd pick in Smith so we'd like to see what potential he has"  or something very similar to it.   He then went on to talk about how Fitz had his best season as a pro with Gailey and he would provide immediate competition to the QB position. 

If anything, post Maccagnan interview I think it's Fitz position to lose come summer.  

I listened to the Maccagnan interview today on SIrius and the dude just gets it.   Mac, Bowles, and Gailey are all on the exact same page and not only get along but all seem to share the same philosophy. 

That being said, I don't think Mac is wed to Smith as the starter.   In fact, he said (paraphrasing) "the jets invested a 2nd rd pick in Smith so we'd like to see what potential he has"  or something very similar to it.   He then went on to talk about how Fitz had his best season as a pro with Gailey and he would provide immediate competition to the QB position. 

If anything, post Maccagnan interview I think it's Fitz position to lose come summer.  

You would be wrong...

From the HEAD COACH:  “Geno will start out taking them, but that doesn’t mean that Ryan can’t take his spot If Ryan’s playing better and performing better… Obviously, we have to cross that bridge when we get to it for him to take the position. But to give the quarterbacks equal reps, I would be sitting here lying if I said they’re going to get equal reps. Geno is going to take reps with the first team and Ryan’s going to take reps with the second team. We’ll let it play out on the field.”

Now where are you coming up with it's Fitzs job to lose?  

What did people expect?  Them to share the ball?  Maybe Fitpatrick plays RB, so after Geno gets the ball, scans the field and can't find anyone, does he toss it back to Fitz to find the open receiver?

Fitz is hurt, but he's also experienced in the Gailey system.  He doesn't need much to catch up, whereas for Geno this is a new system, so it makes sense for them to try and give him as much reps as possible.  At this point, we know what Fitz is, he's a serviceable backup type guy that can play a few games and not kill you.  But we're not winning anything substantial with him.  Their best bet is to hope the system fixes Geno, and then they have a shot at bigger things.  If not, fall back to Fitz, tread water, and find someone else next year (presuming we don't draft Mariota this year).   

I hear you and I've seen everything you're saying.  Personally, as a guy who spends most of his time playing basketball, I think the game is a lot more mental than people think.  I'm of the opinion that a lot of these QB prospects could succeed given the right circumstances.  Think about making the jump from College to the NFL...it's daunting.  Then think about making that jump after your draft stock plummeted because people thought you were a jerk and you were "on your cellphone too much"...that's a recipe for a panic attack.  

The key to developing prospects is getting them confidence...I really believe that. To circle back to myself in the basketball example...I often play like horsesh*t and miss by 5 feet when i'm in a mental funk in a rec game...but i KNOW what I can do when I'm surrounded by my friends playing pickup....the same 18 foot jumpshot will go in a lot more often given equal coverage.  In Geno's case it's pretty hard to gain confidence in yourself in that first year when you really are DOUBTING yourself if you are playing with David Nelson and Greg Salas...all of those incompletions and failures on 3rd down add up mentally.  I wanted him to sit a year no matter what until we got better talent around him...just so he wouldn't get his confidence so low.  That Sanehez injury MURDERED us, it's a lot bigger deal than people make it out to be.

Feel free to disagree, just my opinion

Great analysis.

People are panning his last game vs Miami as an aberration or that Miami had "given up".

That's complete BS. There was no more pressure on Geno & the coaches actually let him play, but the BIGGEST FACTOR was Decker was lighting it UP, catching everything Geno was tossing to him.

The game progressed & Geno played with great confidence & made it look easy!

Fans can say what they want about "being tough" but there is a reason during the draft when people talk about "handling NY".

Our fans are BRUTAL to our own players.

Geno is still just a kid, thrown into the NFL by that idiots moves that now resides in Buffalo. People scream at him during games, "YOU SUCK!" Some saying "I f*cking hate you!"

IT IS NOT EASY BEING A YOUNG QB IN THE NFL!

Is Geno immature? Yes, has he done stupid sh*t? Yes!

But, as a fan, I see I guy that has struggled and has been berated beyond believe, torn down in the media on back pages of newspapers, but unlike a guy like Ryan Leaf who completely lost his sh*t under the pressure, (by the way, the pressure of playing in San Diego,lol), Geno keeps scrambling back on his feet & coming back.

With Decker healthy & Amaro not dropping every other ball he finished on a high note. Now you guys can take that away from him with reasons like "the other team wasn't trying" but like players will tell you, "THIS IS THE NFL"

Individuals might shut it down but 80% of players that take that field are playing ball!

I have no idea if Geno can be good, but I've seen enough glimpses compared to QBs we've seen here in the past to know it's way too early to give up on that kind of athleticism.

Let's see what Gailey can do for him to simplify the offense so that he can use that athleticism to his advantage.

You would be wrong...

From the HEAD COACH:  “Geno will start out taking them, but that doesn’t mean that Ryan can’t take his spot If Ryan’s playing better and performing better… Obviously, we have to cross that bridge when we get to it for him to take the position. But to give the quarterbacks equal reps, I would be sitting here lying if I said they’re going to get equal reps. Geno is going to take reps with the first team and Ryan’s going to take reps with the second team. We’ll let it play out on the field.”

Now where are you coming up with it's Fitzs job to lose?  

did you listen to the interview? 

"The Jets are more likely to trade down than to draft Marcus Mariota." – @RichCimini http://t.co/hIy2UZBna4

I'm gonna let this settle in .. I don't believe the jets are high on Mariota could be a smokescreen but I don't think he is the guy Bowles wants to risk his job on . Geno atleast buys him a year if the team does bad gives him a scapegoat in a sense .,

Geno never should have been drafted by the Jets, it was a dumb move. Compounded by horrible coaching, starting him at least a year too early, and being coddled when he did not deserve it.

He has some physical tools, but he is NOT a leader, which is a damning quality for an NFL QB. He does not appear to be able to read a defense, and his mechanics suck, particiuarly when any pressure is applied whatsoever.

Mechanics can be improved to an extent, reading a defense as well, but leadership is a quality you either have or dont have. He doesnt have it.

Archived