Sheldon Richardson demands 100mill For Mo!

Jetsbb

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where was the actual demand for 100 million?

And why do Jets fans downgrade their own players at the hint of having to pay them? We want too lineman but then take it personal that they want to be paid like top lineman. Otherwise dump them. Because they aren't that good now.

Where was the actual demand for 100 million?

And why do Jets fans downgrade their own players at the hint of having to pay them? We want too lineman but then take it personal that they want to be paid like top lineman. Otherwise dump them. Because they aren't that good now.

Some people act like Woody Johnson would otherwise use the money to fund orphanages or something....

The cap is increasing.  A lot.  That's the reality of the new TV deals.  JJ Watt and McCoy are only the beginning.  If the Jets don't spend on Mo, they will pay somebody else.  The bottom line is that the money will be used, and contract amounts will seem insane vs. 5-10 years ago, but that's the new reality of the NFL.

$100 million today is $50 million in the year 2003, in NFL terms.  This is almost exponential growth.  Nice to be a monopoly....

Some people act like Woody Johnson would otherwise use the money to fund orphanages or something....

The cap is increasing. A lot. That's the reality of the new TV deals. JJ Watt and McCoy are only the beginning. If the Jets don't spend on Mo, they will pay somebody else. The bottom line is that the money will be used, and contract amounts will seem insane vs. 5-10 years ago, but that's the new reality of the NFL.

$100 million today is $50 million in the year 2003, in NFL terms. This is almost exponential growth. Nice to be a monopoly....

It's about 7% a year actually.

You don't draft a top 15 pick to only get 4 years out of the guy bec you overdrafted the position. You rather 4 years of a great player over 12 years of a very good player in a position of need?

If you get a great player for four years, trade him for a first round pick, then get another great player - you've done pretty well. The first round of the draft is all about BAP. You don't pass on a great prospect for a very good one to fill a need.

I've been saying this guy was a loud mouth loser since the last month of 2014. And every time I say anything I get attacked.

Well, has the past 2 weeks opened a few eyes?

He's a COMPLETE Rex Ryan guy. And elite talker, and a mediocre performer. 11.5 sacks in your first 32 games. That's doesn't even make him a top 10 DE in this league, not to mention the best overall player.

I'd seriously trade him tomorrow. I'd also jettison Mr Coples. Mo, Snacks and Williams is an elite front 3. Those other 2 'average' linemen can land us some nice picks.

I think New Orleans and Rex's brother would do anything to land this loud mouth fool. And the saints will be a complete train wreck this year. So I'd take a their 2nd round pick in 2016 (which will be top 10) and a conditional 2017.

Send a message to this team that the Rex era has ended. Shut your mouth and let your play do the talking. You want 100 million, put up two JJ Watt type season and in 2017 you'll get it. Wilkerson had his chance. He didn't earn it. He earned 65-70 million with 40-45 guaranteed.

Give Bowles and Macc time. They will repair the damage that has been done by Tanny, Rex and Idzik. I assure you of one thing. If we go 8-8 there won't be any Gatorade baths on the sideline with our new HC in charge.

Lol. Mediocre? A second round round pick? He might be the best player on the team, even with Revis here.

Something tells me Richardosn is going to be a problem next season.  Mo reported in his 4th year of his rookie contract, I doubt Richardson will.

The new CBA makes it extremely difficult -and expensive- to hold out. The players signed a bad deal in that respect, giving up one of the few pieces of leverage they had. It's unlikely that Richardson will ever hold out.

While I completely agree with how the Jets are handling this situation with Mo, it does suck to see a guy that is loyal and naive getting shown that the NFL has truly solidified it's status as a cut throat business first league.

It's a bummer to see where this has all gone since when I was a kid getting into this sh*t.  When your players were your players for the whole time.

It was better then.

While I completely agree with how the Jets are handling this situation with Mo, it does suck to see a guy that is loyal and naive getting shown that the NFL has truly solidified it's status as a cut throat business first league.

It's a bummer to see where this has all gone since when I was a kid getting into this sh*t.  When your players were your players for the whole time.

It was better then.

And even then, the Jets managed to lose John Riggins. The franchise has been way ahead of the curve when it comes to this crap.

Sad thing is Sheldon may actually be hurting negotiations with Mo since everyones knows he is next

Question is; if this a selfless act in support of his teammate? or is he setting the market higher for his next contract?

either way I am looking forward to watching these guys play, it should be a great line...

And even then, the Jets managed to lose John Riggins. The franchise has been way ahead of the curve when it comes to this crap.

There's a guy in my section still wearing the Washington Redskins Riggins jersey.

Actually, nobody does it better than Kevin Colbert of Pittsburgh. Everyone except for Roethlisberger and Polamalu are available for the right price every year.

I've been saying this guy was a loud mouth loser since the last month of 2014. And every time I say anything I get attacked.

He's a COMPLETE Rex Ryan guy. And elite talker, and a mediocre performer. 11.5 sacks in your first 32 games. That's doesn't even make him a top 10 DE in this league, not to mention the best overall player.

I'd seriously trade him tomorrow. I'd also jettison Mr Coples. Mo, Snacks and Williams is an elite front 3. Those other 2 'average' linemen can land us some nice picks.

I think New Orleans and Rex's brother would do anything to land this loud mouth fool. And the saints will be a complete train wreck this year. So I'd take a their 2nd round pick in 2016 (which will be top 10) and a conditional 2017.

Send a message to this team that the Rex era has ended. Shut your mouth and let your play do the talking. You want 100 million, put up two JJ Watt type season and in 2017 you'll get it. Wilkerson had his chance. He didn't earn it. He earned 65-70 million with 40-45 guaranteed.

Give Bowles and Macc time. They will repair the damage that has been done by Tanny, Rex and Idzik. I assure you of one thing. If we go 8-8 there won't be any Gatorade baths on the sideline with our new HC in charge.

:character42:

Having more good players than we can keep is just a terrible problem to have. We need to go back to the traditional ways of the Jets, never have any good players, then we can afford to re-sign all of them.

Ooh, I'll take this one. What is "If the Idzik years were allowed to continue", Alex?

Dumbness is flowing through this thread!!!  Let me contribute:

"We should cut all these talented DLinemen, we can't pay them all.  We need to

bring back Gholston so we can keep our cap clean"

Some of you should have your "football card" revoked

So the primary - correction: the only - measurement of Richardson's play on the field is how many sacks he's gotten?

Dumbness is flowing through this thread!!!  Let me contribute:

"We should cut all these talented DLinemen, we can't pay them all.  We need to

While I agree with your general point, I think it is not at all unfair to have a discussion about the wisdom of concentrating too much of our team salary cap into one single area.  We have options for sure but I am fairly certain that those options will not include keeping all of our current roster under contract for the next five years let alone the next ten.  If we do that, and if these guys are as good as we think they are or as we think they can become then we will have almost no money to pay anyone else.

I think we need to find a way in the next year or so to trade away young, about to become "very expensive" talent for young inexpensive talent, draft picks or both. 

Whatever happens I'm sure Mac won't let these guys get to free agency like Detroit did with Suh without compensation.

If this isn't the perfect example of taking the BPA in the draft I don't know what is.

Sheldon is a better player than Mo, I don't care what that Ahole Adam Shein says (he's got an article out where he actually says Mo is one of the Jets indispensable players?).

But, like others have said, do you want to sign Mo for 33-40 million guaranteed like the recent signings of Cameron & Luiget or get or trade him & take your chances negotiating with Richardson & his agent down the line?

Good luck to Mac!

THIS is what happens when your team as a whole SUCKS! Guys like Wilkerson stand out because over the last couple of years we've had such mediocre talent throughout the team on both defense & offense.

Thank god Williams dropped to us!

Best thing that could happen for us Jet fans is that Williams turns out to be an ALL TIME GREAT.

You never know.

While I agree with your general point, I think it is not at all unfair to have a discussion about the wisdom of concentrating too much of our team salary cap into one single area.  We have options for sure but I am fairly certain that those options will not include keeping all of our current roster under contract for the next five years let alone the next ten.  If we do that, and if these guys are as good as we think they are or as we think they can become then we will have almost no money to pay anyone else.

I think we need to find a way in the next year or so to trade away young, about to become "very expensive" talent for young inexpensive talent, draft picks or both. 

The one "advantage" the team has in terms of salary cap management is that it's at least 4 years away from having to allot $20M (give or take a few) on a QB contract. And being even that soon is IF Petty is far better than expected.

The exception to this possibility is if Smith stopped throwing picks like it was his intended result. And as far-fetched as that seems, it would be an awesome problem to have and he'd still be 2 years away from forcing the team's hand with a new contract (by which time a good amount of the 2015 guaranteed/mega-deals are ended or coming to a close).

The most expensive the position could get prior to that is if Fitzpatrick starts the whole season (or essentially the whole season) and puts up similar numbers that he did in 2014. In the absence of Petty just crushing it in practice all season long while holding a clipboard, that would probably put a 33 year old Fitzpatrick back into a $10M/year range (give or take) over the following 2-3 seasons. But even that's no bank breaker.

So in the situation we're in, relative to other teams, it's as though the team has another $10-15M more to spend each year when compared to veteran-franchise-QB-possessing competitors.

On the other hand, Mac can only use up that extra $ ($30-50M over these upcoming 3 seasons) once and can't keep using that amount to justify every additional large contract. 

Ooh, I'll take this one. What is "If the Idzik years were allowed to continue", Alex?

lol, have you only rooted for this team for 2 years? 

A roster full of sh*tty players is as endemic to the Jets as green, white, and billboards.

lol, have you only rooted for this team for 2 years? 

A roster full of sh*tty players is as endemic to the Jets as green, white, and billboards.

Well, I always had a sneaking suspicion that Idzik's master plan was to draft mediocre players so he didn't have to pay them. Or he would have accomplished that by accident.

I'm curious what, if anything the team offered.  I have to believe it was north of Cam Jordan's deal.  With Suh and Watt at $100M+ over six years, and Jordan at $55MM over five years, I'd put an opening offer to Wilk at somewhere in the middle of that, say $65MM over five or $80MM over six with maybe just over half guaranteed.  I haven't heard that the Jets even put an offer on the table, but I think there's a world of difference between an offer like that and no offer. 

If they did nothing, then Wilk has a very good reason to be pissed off.  If they offered him $80 over six with $40 guaranteed and he's moaning about not getting more, my sympathy would be less, particularly if he gets injured with that kind of offer on the table.

I remember reading an article not to long ago (might have been the nypost) basically talking about how football is a business yada yada yada no biggie I guess,but he had a A few quotes there where he emphasize the point of making the most money, I was just thinking after reading " yes a problem is coming " The storms on the Horizon down the road...

Dumbness is flowing through this thread!!! Let me contribute:

"We should cut all these talented DLinemen, we can't pay them all. We need to

The life of a Jet player:

We drafted player X, he's a steal!!!

Player X is great, why does the press not see it? Why are our stars ignored?

Player X was robbed, he belongs in e Pro Bowl

Player X is the best at his position.

Player X wants to be paid like the best at his position?

Player X is a greedy bastard and needs to be gotten rid of immediately.

I hate Player X

I hate Player X

Fail.

I hate Player X

We have a winner!!!  This sums up the mentality of too many Jet fans

Best argument to make here was Revis. Double fail.

Build me up, whine that we're unappreciated and then turn on the player when he wants what's due him and talk about how he sucks.

True Jets fan. We've all seen it before.

Call it a fail or a double fail all you want.

Archived