Jets have 5th best fans

FloridaJetsFan

From USA Today: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/07/best-worst-fans-nfl-seattle-dallas-cowboys-new-england-giants-emory-study-list

For the past three years, a team at Emory has used 15 years of NFL data in a quest to rank each of the 32 fanbases in the NFL. Now, I know what you’re thinking: Emory, a fine school in Atlanta, doesn’t even have a football team. This is like students from BYU writing studies about spring break or Harvard folks releasing their investigation into being cool. Regardless, the Emory researchers used a bunch of criteria — “hard data” they called it — and applied some hardcore math/analysis to it, hoping to come up with “what team has the most avid, engaged, passionate and supportive fans.” Some of their findings:

1. Dallas, New England and the New York Giants top the list.

This seems reasonable to me. While Emory admits that it’s hard to judge fanbases when a team is particularly good (obviously a good team will have more support than a bad team, no matter the general level of fan interest), the two NFC East teams on this list are always popular, even during down stretches. Because it’s been so long since we’ve seen the Patriots struggle, I can’t say I agree with their placement as much. Once Brady and Belichick leave, their number of fans will be greatly deflate, back to the pre-Brady and Belichick levels, when most people in Boston forgot the Patriots even existed.

2. Buffalo, Jacksonville, Oakland, Cleveland and Miami round out the list.

The Dolphins as No. 32? Frankly, I find it hard to believe that any team has a worse fanbase than the Jaguars, but as long as the Jags are No. 29, I guess it’s legit. (The study says teams from Florida always are low in the rankings.) The rest of the bottom seems decent too. Maybe I was too harsh on our friends from Emory above.

3. The Jets are No. 5 and the Texans (No. 12) are ahead of the Broncos (No. 13), Steelers (No. 14) and Redskins (No. 15).

No one loves the Jets. They tolerate the Jets and watch them every Sunday because of self-hatred. Then, in those years when the Jets are good, they wait for the Jets to break their hearts because they know the Jets will do so. As for the Texans being ahead of three NFL blue bloods, come on. That’s just preposterous. A few quibbles aside (New Orleans at No. 8 is too high, Kansas City at No. 27 is way too low), I’m down with most of the rest of the list. But the Texans placement is ridiculous. Maybe I wasn’t too harsh on our friends from Emory.

4. Hahahahahahahahaha.

The 12th man, the fans of the Seattle Seahawks who have deluded themselves into thinking they’re truly a member of the franchise that won the 2013 Super Bowl and gave away the 2014 title is ranked — wait for it — No. 26 on this list. No. 26! The final verdict: Our friends from Emory did just fine on this list.

You have to give Seattle ownership credit for pushing that line of BS so hard that the fans eventually bought in to it.  Having players constantly refer to them as "the 12's" was brilliant.  It created a whole new line of merchandise for them to sell to their fan base.

This article is wrong, I, for one, love the Jets and am DAMN PROUD to be a fan of this organization. I believe Woody Johnson is a class act and one of the best owners in all of pro sports. It is, in my opinion, an absolute privilege to be a fan of the New York Jets and anybody who says otherwise is simply living in a fantasy world.

This article is wrong, I, for one, love the Jets and am DAMN PROUD to be a fan of this organization. I believe Woody Johnson is a class act and one of the best owners in all of pro sports. It is, in my opinion, an absolute privilege to be a fan of the New York Jets and anybody who says otherwise is simply living in a fantasy world.

^ this ****in guy

brown nose.

KC at 27 is ridiculous

I happen to think Buffalo belongs a lot higher as well

I just read your summary not the article ... But those 2 being as low as they are makes my guess there may be a bias against small market teams ... But the article itself may address that ... Anyway thx for the info!

So your the one!

Did De'andre Johnson hit you in your head?

You have to give Seattle ownership credit for pushing that line of BS so hard that the fans eventually bought in to it.  Having players constantly refer to them as "the 12's" was brilliant.  It created a whole new line of merchandise for them to sell to their fan base.

Not to mention a bit of a rip off from the CFL and the hilarious story of the Saskatchewan Roughriders and how they blew a Grey Cup victory on the last play of the game.

Opposite George

OK, so who is supposed to be #4? First 3 teams are listed, then the Jets are 5. Who's 4?

They had the Ravens at #4. I would post the whole graphic showing the full list, but I'm too internet incompetent to know how.  So here's the text from the Emory website:

For the past three years, we have tried to answer the question of which teams have the “best” fans. “Best” is a funny word that can mean a lot of things but what we are really trying to get at is what team has the most avid, engaged, passionate and supportive fans. The twist is that we are doing this using hard data, and that we are doing it in a very controlled and statistically careful fashion.

By hard data we mean data on actual fan behavior. In particular, we are focused on market outcomes like attendance, prices or revenues. A lot of marketing research focused on branding issues relies on things like consumer surveys. This is fine in some ways, but opinion surveys are also problematic. It’s one thing to just say you are a fan of a local team, and quite another to be willing to pay several thousand dollars to purchase a season ticket.

To truly understand fan engagement, it’s important to statistically control for temporary changes in the environment. This is a huge issue in sports because fans almost always chase a winner. The real quality of the sports brand is revealed when fans support a team through the tough times. The Packers or Steelers will sell-out the year after they go 6-10, not so much for the Jaguars. The other thing that separates sports brands from consumer brands is the cities themselves. The support a New York team gets in terms of attendance and pricing is always going to be tough to achieve for the team in Charlotte.

In terms of the nuts and bolts of what we are about to present, we use fifteen years of data on NFL team performance, ticket prices, market populations, median incomes, won-loss records and multiple other factors. We create statistical models of box office revenue, and then see which teams over- and under- perform the model’s predictions.   For a much fuller description, and some limitations about what we are doing click here.

So who has the best fans? The winner this year is the Dallas Cowboys followed by the Patriots, Giants, Ravens, and Jets. The Cowboys have a storied history, a market that loves all forms of football, and a world-class stadium. “Deflate-gate” hasn’t hit the window of our analysis yet (it is after the 2014-2015 season), but the Pats strong showing in our ranking suggests that the impact will be small. The Jets position might be somewhat surprising, but this team draws well, and has great pricing power without a lot of winning on the field.

Maybe the biggest surprise is some of the teams that aren’t at the top. The Steelers and Packers have great fan followings.  The Seahawks are slowly developing a great fan base.  And these teams will do better when we switch to non-financial metrics such as social media following. But for the current “revenue premium” model these teams just don’t price high enough. In a way, these teams with massive season ticket waiting lists are the most supportive of their fans.

At the bottom we have the Bills, Jags, Raiders, Browns and Dolphins. There are some interesting and storied teams on this list. The Raiders have a ton of passion in the end zone but maybe not throughout the stadium.   Cleveland may have never recovered from the loss of the Ravens, and the recreation of the Browns. Florida is almost always a problem on our lists. Whether it is the weather or the fact that many of the locals are transplants that didn’t grow up with the team, Florida teams just don’t get the support of teams in other regions.

They had the Ravens at #4. I would post the whole graphic showing the full list, but I'm too internet incompetent to know how.  So here's the text from the Emory website:

For the past three years, we have tried to answer the question of which teams have the “best” fans. “Best” is a funny word that can mean a lot of things but what we are really trying to get at is what team has the most avid, engaged, passionate and supportive fans. The twist is that we are doing this using hard data, and that we are doing it in a very controlled and statistically careful fashion.

By hard data we mean data on actual fan behavior. In particular, we are focused on market outcomes like attendance, prices or revenues. A lot of marketing research focused on branding issues relies on things like consumer surveys. This is fine in some ways, but opinion surveys are also problematic. It’s one thing to just say you are a fan of a local team, and quite another to be willing to pay several thousand dollars to purchase a season ticket.

To truly understand fan engagement, it’s important to statistically control for temporary changes in the environment. This is a huge issue in sports because fans almost always chase a winner. The real quality of the sports brand is revealed when fans support a team through the tough times. The Packers or Steelers will sell-out the year after they go 6-10, not so much for the Jaguars. The other thing that separates sports brands from consumer brands is the cities themselves. The support a New York team gets in terms of attendance and pricing is always going to be tough to achieve for the team in Charlotte.

In terms of the nuts and bolts of what we are about to present, we use fifteen years of data on NFL team performance, ticket prices, market populations, median incomes, won-loss records and multiple other factors. We create statistical models of box office revenue, and then see which teams over- and under- perform the model’s predictions.   For a much fuller description, and some limitations about what we are doing click here.

So who has the best fans? The winner this year is the Dallas Cowboys followed by the Patriots, Giants, Ravens, and Jets. The Cowboys have a storied history, a market that loves all forms of football, and a world-class stadium. “Deflate-gate” hasn’t hit the window of our analysis yet (it is after the 2014-2015 season), but the Pats strong showing in our ranking suggests that the impact will be small. The Jets position might be somewhat surprising, but this team draws well, and has great pricing power without a lot of winning on the field.

Maybe the biggest surprise is some of the teams that aren’t at the top. The Steelers and Packers have great fan followings.  The Seahawks are slowly developing a great fan base.  And these teams will do better when we switch to non-financial metrics such as social media following. But for the current “revenue premium” model these teams just don’t price high enough. In a way, these teams with massive season ticket waiting lists are the most supportive of their fans.

At the bottom we have the Bills, Jags, Raiders, Browns and Dolphins. There are some interesting and storied teams on this list. The Raiders have a ton of passion in the end zone but maybe not throughout the stadium.   Cleveland may have never recovered from the loss of the Ravens, and the recreation of the Browns. Florida is almost always a problem on our lists. Whether it is the weather or the fact that many of the locals are transplants that didn’t grow up with the team, Florida teams just don’t get the support of teams in other regions.

Thanks. And BTW, I lived in Orlando from 1977-1996, always remaining a Jet fan. Pretty much the same thing as being here in NE since 1996 and still remaining a Jet fan.

I usually go to 4-6 games a year and watch the rest in my mom's basement (sarcasm). However, there's always one or two people bitching at me while I stand up and scream while opposing teams are on offense.

Ridiculous.

We are a loyal fan base regardless of the crappy football this franchise has given everyone the past 4 plus decades. Jets fans are very knowledgeable and as true fans we also are used to losing a lot. A super bowl would be nice to reward our loyalty but I digress. The way the J-E-T-S chant brings the fan base together in the stadium is amazing. I wish the Jets had their own stadium to call their own instead of sharing it with the Giants.

I go to at least one game a year except last season because I knew the product that was going to be on the field was going to be crappy so I watched all the games on television. I will go to a game this season hoping that the "New Era" is better then last. I appreciate what McCagnan has done so far in the draft and in free agency. All they need is a QB and they would be legit contenders. Bowles I am confident will be successful and whenever there's a new coach they make the playoffs their 1st year. There is a sense of optimism for the Jets in the future because they finally have a general manager who knows what he is doing and a coach that doesn't make outrageous statements about super bowl predictions. Lets Go Jets!

What a horesh!t list.

The Steelers and Packers have the best fans, hands down. The Bills, Chiefs, and Browns also have some of the better fanbases.

The Pats (and yes even the Jets) wish they had fans like those teams.

Emory can wipe their ass with those rankings.

+1

He takes sarcasm to an artform.

Wait a second, so he's not giving me approval on my post?

If you don't agree with my position, you're simply not a true fan of this team and organization. Simple as that. **** anyone who disagrees with me.

If you had any brains...you would not have gone to FSU. :)

Wait a second, so he's not giving me approval on my post?

If you don't agree with my position, you're simply not a true fan of this team and organization. Simple as that. **** anyone who disagrees with me.

This has gotta bump us up to at least 4th no?

******* Dolphins lmao

I lived in Florida from 03-06. I remember going to Jets/Fish one day. It was like week 4 or 5 and it was 70-75% Jets fans. I realize all the NYers down there but gimme a freaking break. Weeks 15-17 and your team blows? Cool, I get it, sell away. Early in the year? Awful.

In fact, it was this game. Week 4, lol. I remember Donnie Abraham returning an INT for a TD early in the 2nd half.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200410030mia.htm

So what'll you do if someone disagrees - same thing all the Seminoles do, punch a girl in the face?

From USA Today: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/07/best-worst-fans-nfl-seattle-dallas-cowboys-new-england-giants-emory-study-list

For the past three years, a team at Emory has used 15 years of NFL data in a quest to rank each of the 32 fanbases in the NFL. Now, I know what you’re thinking: Emory, a fine school in Atlanta, doesn’t even have a football team. This is like students from BYU writing studies about spring break or Harvard folks releasing their investigation into being cool. Regardless, the Emory researchers used a bunch of criteria — “hard data” they called it — and applied some hardcore math/analysis to it, hoping to come up with “what team has the most avid, engaged, passionate and supportive fans.” Some of their findings:

1. Dallas, New England and the New York Giants top the list.

This seems reasonable to me. While Emory admits that it’s hard to judge fanbases when a team is particularly good (obviously a good team will have more support than a bad team, no matter the general level of fan interest), the two NFC East teams on this list are always popular, even during down stretches. Because it’s been so long since we’ve seen the Patriots struggle, I can’t say I agree with their placement as much. Once Brady and Belichick leave, their number of fans will be greatly deflate, back to the pre-Brady and Belichick levels, when most people in Boston forgot the Patriots even existed.

2. Buffalo, Jacksonville, Oakland, Cleveland and Miami round out the list.

The Dolphins as No. 32? Frankly, I find it hard to believe that any team has a worse fanbase than the Jaguars, but as long as the Jags are No. 29, I guess it’s legit. (The study says teams from Florida always are low in the rankings.) The rest of the bottom seems decent too. Maybe I was too harsh on our friends from Emory above.

3. The Jets are No. 5 and the Texans (No. 12) are ahead of the Broncos (No. 13), Steelers (No. 14) and Redskins (No. 15).

No one loves the Jets. They tolerate the Jets and watch them every Sunday because of self-hatred. Then, in those years when the Jets are good, they wait for the Jets to break their hearts because they know the Jets will do so. As for the Texans being ahead of three NFL blue bloods, come on. That’s just preposterous. A few quibbles aside (New Orleans at No. 8 is too high, Kansas City at No. 27 is way too low), I’m down with most of the rest of the list. But the Texans placement is ridiculous. Maybe I wasn’t too harsh on our friends from Emory.

4. Hahahahahahahahaha.

The 12th man, the fans of the Seattle Seahawks who have deluded themselves into thinking they’re truly a member of the franchise that won the 2013 Super Bowl and gave away the 2014 title is ranked — wait for it — No. 26 on this list. No. 26! The final verdict: Our friends from Emory did just fine on this list.

I don't get how the Steelers are not #1.  They seem to travel the best to road games plus there's excellent odds of finding a "Steelers' bar" when you travel to other states.  Heck I remember planning on watching Jets/Steelers in the AFC title game a few years ago at this one bar but, when I got there, it turned out to be a Steelers bar.  I had a bad feeling after that.

Certainly using total amounts of tickets sold vs. % of ticket sold compared to tickets available in the teams stadium is biased against teams in smaller markets with smaller capacity in their stadiums. I would think total revenue generated should have some qualifier for cost of living in the area as well. These definitely favor the big market teams.

Anyway, something interesting to talk and think about for a day!

Archived