How are we feeling?

Maxman

Fitz has been playing mistake free football. We know he isn't going to put a team on his back and win it by himself. But it will be nice to have a QB that doesn't lose the game by himself on a weekly basis.

The Offensive line looks like they are going to be able to run block.

The defense has a lot to prove but there is talent there. Not sure how long it will take for Bowles system to kick in. How long will the learning curve be? That is the biggest question.

But they seem to be building this team in a way where it doesn't matter who drafted you...the best are going to make the team and play.

So the question remains, how are you feeling about this team?

In all seriousness, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Fitz is probably the best QB we've had in a while--perhaps not the highest ceiling, but certainly not the lowest floor. Our running game should still be beastly, and our passing game should DEFINITELY be better than the past few seasons.

We have a lot of talent on the defensive side, plus a coach who is known for getting the best out of the least talented, so it should be dominant.

There's a lot to look forward to.

Was happy to see Fitz show major improvement.  Don't think it in anyway removes Geno as the #1.  Yet.  Never know though.  Fitz looked good but did show some lack of ability on deep balls.  Maybe just rusty or still getting strength back.

Regardless, much more confident heading into the season now.

Right now though, I'm trying to figure our WR depth chart.  Any good guesses?

Crazy how far Kerley seems to have fallen.  Always seemed solid to me.

1. Marshall 

2. Decker

3. Situational?  A. Enunwa  B. Smith  C. Evans. D. Kerley 

4. Owusu 

Will all 7 even end up on the roster?

I don't think the defense is going to be as good as most think, or hope they will be.  Outside of Revis all our DB's, and LB's are gonna get beat fairly regularly, the X factor will be does Bowles D create turnovers like it did in Arizona the last 2 years, IF yes then we got something, but if they don't create turnovers, and give up the big plays we have seen in the preseason it could get ugly as Fitz is not a QB you want trying to win a 38-35 game IMO.

The good thing so far is the D HAS created turnovers in the preseason so far, I believe the Jets are +5 in turnover ratio with 2 defensive scores, so if that is what this D is, a D prone to giving up a few big plays, but takes the ball away to the tune of 2 turnovers a game with a score every couple games then yeah I like the chances for the Jets to be playing meaningful games come December, but if the turnovers don't continue I don't see this team winning more than 6-7 games with Fitz at QB having to keep pace with the opposition.

I think the most encouraging thing I saw - for the long term - was cutting Posey.  Not because I hated him or anything, but rather because it shows that it doesn't matter how you got here - if you don't produce, you're gone.  Accountability was probably the most striking thing missing from previous clubs...  It's a refreshing change!

Of course, for this year, I'm not so confident.  I haven't yet seen any indication of this dominating defense which we theoretically have on paper.  If it does show up, then maybe 10 wins are possible.  I think more likely we'll be in the wildcard hunt with a .500 record with a few weeks to go - but come up short.

Fitz has been playing mistake free football. We know he isn't going to put a team on his back and win it by himself. But it will be nice to have a QB that doesn't lose the game by himself on a weekly basis.

The Offensive line looks like they are going to be able to run block.

The defense has a lot to prove but there is talent there. Not sure how long it will take for Bowles system to kick in. How long will the learning curve be? That is the biggest question.

But they seem to be building this team in a way where it doesn't matter who drafted you...the best are going to make the team and play.

So the question remains, how are you feeling about this team?

In 2009 Rex's D had Kris Jenkins for 6 games,Ellis,Pouha,Mike Devito and some other scrubs..He added Bart Scott and Leonhard and of course he had Revis,Kerry,Pace,Harris and Bryan Thomas.. I think this D has more talent then the one that was ranked 1st in 2009.. And yes I left out the Ghost..LOL

I don't have a strong feel. I guess a lot of your feeling depends on your view of Geno,. If you were cringing about Geno starting maybe that made you optimistic. If you were excited to see what he could do with real coaching in a simplified system you are feeling a little anxious.

I am not a Fitz fan. I do not think he will make plays to win games. Unlike some people, I do not feel you can win enough games anymore by not making mistakes and playing good defense. I think the QB has to make plays and I do not see that in Fitz. 

I am excited for the season, but the logical part of my brain thinks this:

With Geno out, Fitz in, Sheldon suspended,  and a defense that is nothing like what Rex ran at all except the label "3-4", I am fearful we start slow, 1-4, 2-3 something like that. I think the defense takes 6-8 games to start playing well, and the offense won't be able to overcome it. I think Geno gets back in and we play decent down the stretch for 6-10, 7-9 and go into next year still not really sure of our QB situation and with dire needs at OL, linebacker and TE.'

Hope I am wrong and this is the year. Still super excited though. 

In 2009 Rex's D had Kris Jenkins for 6 games,Ellis,Pouha,Mike Devito and some other scrubs..He added Bart Scott and Leonhard and of course he had Revis,Kerry,Pace,Harris and Bryan Thomas.. I think this D has more talent then the one that was ranked 1st in 2009.. And yes I left out the Ghost..LOL

So what are you saying? how are you feeling? did you take your Geritol today?

Boring but good.  

I've been trying to figure out the Jets this year and I've come to terms with boring but good.   After watching the preseason I don't think we've seen the defense yet.   Everything so far has been bland and I just don't think Bowles is going bland come week 1.   On offense I think the team is going to be able to move the ball and at a minimum be able to change the field position and keep the team in the game.   Fitzmagic may not have Geno's arm but he's an upgrade on 3rd downs which is the key to keeping the drives alive.   

We had a backup DE break the starting QB's jaw and the biggest topic is RG3.   This is a no-drama professional team with Bowles at the helm and for whatever reason I think this team is good.   

Sheldon is a dick...but I would feel much better about the season if he was not going to out at least the first 4 games, if not more. I mean, we are going into the season without our second best player. Yes, we have Leonard, who I love, but we were supposed to have both of these guys, along with Wilkerson and Snacks. Not having Sheldon definitely lowers my expectations.

Also, and not saying this sarcastically, I had no idea that people were bullish on our running game. The personnel, between the backs and the offensive line, looks pretty average to me. But, hope I'm wrong!

Archived