Bryce Petty ~ ~ ~

kelly

I see him listed as going #2 overall to Cleveland.  I don't think teams would "reach" for a QB at #2 overall if he weren't a really good prospect.  Of course, Cleveland hasn't taken him (at least yet) so I guess the jury is still out.

Teams desperate for a QB will do awful things. Goff and Lynch are not even close to 1st rd talent. Cook is a 4th rd talent at best

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we feel he can be at least be a quality #2, there is your answer on Petty

"Quality #2"!!??  WTF.  If that's the case, release the bum now.  It seems that all we've had for decades are #2-#3 QBs in the stable.  

Macc chooses his words wisely ... Petty is not the starter, Fitz is, and Macc is respecting that situation. The only spot Petty is competing for next year is exactly that ,the number 2 spot, so just look at it that way for now.

ummm go review tape, he threw many dimes, had one TD pass taken away from a great strip by Harrison.  

I've seen "tape", that's why I really like what I saw, but if you think he's going to come into the pro's and pass all over defenses from the pocket as he is now, you are clearly mistaken.

I've seen "tape", that's why I really like what I saw, but if you think he's going to come into the pro's and pass all over defenses from the pocket as he is now, you are clearly mistaken.

Ummm he is a true soph, he will continue to get better, cam as a passer really was not very good until late last yr. Watson is way ahead of sir cam,

to get watson next year, it is either dive or offer 3 first rd draft picks and pray that T1ts are the worst team and still like mariota

Here's 

No offense but this comment right here is what I hate most about football.  In EVERY other sport, kids have a developmental league they can learn their craft in before playing with the big boys.  Hell, in hockey and baseball a kid can be a top 10 pick and not be seen for 3 years.  More often than not that development is incredibly important and leads to a successful player.

While I can understand that in a number of positions players can jump right from college to the pro's (like RB, OG..etc) in other positions kids, and that is who we are talking about..kids, need some time.  The Broncos have had Osweiler sitting behind Peyton and while he has some bright spots he needs probably one more offseason.  Look at Cousins, sitting behind RG3, it helped him.  Or McCarron. Or Rodgers (the poster child).

So maybe being good enough to be the #2 in 2016 is a big enough step and then 2017-2018 we are finally staring at franchise QB.  At the point if Maccagnan has done his job there will be a young talented roster built around the QB position giving him the best chance to be successful.

Now that's the glass half full POV but if that's this FO's vision then it's a vision I can get behind especially if we can get Fitz back and make a playoff run or 2.

Totally appreciate your position.  Maybe I am misinterpreting Mcc's appraisal.  I understood him to mean that Petty is a #2 QB at best, not someone who could be a #1.  

I loved Pat Ryan.  He was your quintessential back-up QB. 

Me too.  Some people on here criticize Pat Ryan.  To me, he was probably our best backup QB ever.  I agree that he was the quintessential back-up.  Very similar to Don Strock in that regard.  He definitely wasn't starter capability but if you needed him to start, he could win you a game (he won a playoff game and had us ahead of Cleveland before getting hurt).

What do you think about possibly trading the farm to draft Goff?  I think if we're going to pick our next QB, we try to shoot the moon.  I'm fine w/ trading a lot to get the guy if Maccags thinks he's the right guy.  The Giants certainly don't regret trading up for Eli.

I do like what little I've seen of Wentz though.  Just saying that I think it would still be worth it to trade a lot to get the better QB (assuming Maccags thinks Goff is better than Wentz).  It's the foundation piece of your team so I hope we don't "settle".

When you say "Trade the farm" what does that mean exactly? Goff looks okay, but I really like Wentz and even I wouldnt trade the farm for him. However, if you feel like Goff is "that guy" then I say do it....**** it! lol. Sometimes just having a "Plan B" can distract from your original "Plan A". Either fly or crash and burn....but either way, make it look beautiful while doing it. 

Totally appreciate your position.  Maybe I am misinterpreting Mcc's appraisal.  I understood him to mean that Petty is a #2 QB at best, not someone who could be a #1.  

Well his statement is a little ambiguous so I could be wrong but I'm hoping I'm not.  That all being said, I think we find out what he feels about Petty during the 2016 draft.  If we snag a qb in the first or 2nd then I'd imagine they don't see Petty as any more than a #2. 

Ummm he is a true soph, he will continue to get better, cam as a passer really was not very good until late last yr. Watson is way ahead of sir cam,

to get watson next year, it is either dive or offer 3 first rd draft picks and pray that T1ts are the worst team and still like mariota

Just like Tajh Boyd was gonna be the next RG3 before his final season?

A lot can happen in one year. I like DeShaun, but to compare him to Cam is ridiculous, let alone say he's ahead of him. Not only did Cam actually win a championship and a Heisman, but he's proved that he wasn't a one year wonder. After Boyd I need to see more when it comes to Clemson QB's.  Teams are going to have film on him. Let's see how he responds.

I cant say that I've looked at every QB, but when I came across Wentz he looks like a legit QB, not just some dude with a big arm. He's accurate and seems to make the right decisions with the football. He can play both the shotgun and under center and he can play the intermediate game with the best of them which is right up Chan Gailey's alley. 

Thats what I like about his game. He looks like he would work well in this system but he also has the strength and accuracy to include guys like Devin Smith in the fold and he's a mobile QB. His pocket presence isnt as good as Glennon's but I think its because Glennon isnt really a mobile QB so Glennon uses his feel for the pocket along with this ability to never stop looking down the field to his particular advantage. 

Wentz in this system could work very well imo, and from what I saw from the usual names at QB, he's the one that actually impressed me. Many bring up his level of competition, which does play a part, but I see a QB that can play in this league every Sunday with like a year to develop. 

I seriously doubt Glennon is even on Macc's radar, and if not then I would pull the trigger at #20 if Wentz is still on the board...with no hesitation. 

What did you like so much?  I watched some highlights and eh.  Most of the deep throws had a ton of air under them and there wasn't much of him ripping the ball out there or fitting it in tight windows.  He is a winner, but he probably impressed me more running than throwing.  Guess he checks all the boxes, but I think he is going to need some time,  OTOH  I guess I'd have said the same about Flacco.

What did you like so much?  I watched some highlights and eh.  Most of the deep throws had a ton of air under them and there wasn't much of him ripping the ball out there or fitting it in tight windows.  He is a winner, but he probably impressed me more running than throwing.  Guess he checks all the boxes, but I think he is going to need some time,  OTOH  I guess I'd have said the same about Flacco.

I guess I like what I see from Wentz more than the typical top names I hear about. Im still working on going through the quarterbacks. From what i seen Wentz typically doesnt throw with too much air under the ball. I did notice the air under the ball during the championship game but he also came back from a broken wrist on that throwing hand...if the highlights you seen happened to come from that game. 

I guess I like finding guys not really talked about. A guy who im currently looking at is Baker Mayfield from OK. Its January, my feelings will change the more I watch players throughout the next few months. 

Just like Tajh Boyd was gonna be the next RG3 before his final season?

A lot can happen in one year. I like DeShaun, but to compare him to Cam is ridiculous, let alone say he's ahead of him. Not only did Cam actually win a championship and a Heisman, but he's proved that he wasn't a one year wonder. After Boyd I need to see more when it comes to Clemson QB's.  Teams are going to have film on him. Let's see how he responds.

taj boyd isnt on the same ballpark dude, DW is way ahead of cam as a passer, cam was a run first QB at auburn and had the size and speed to get away with it. Bama's def had 10 draftable players  4 first rd picks  a 3rd a 4th and 2 future #1 picks. The kid is the real deal

You beat me to the punch. Was just starting to type the same thing when your post popped up.Let me add....if Macc thought Petty was 'the guy," he wouldn't have waited until the 4th to take him. You really think this Wentz kid the real deal? Thought Connor Cook might be interesting, but hearing some not so good things about him.

I think Wentz is going to go a lot higher than people think. 

This is a "win-now" team and before Petty is handed anything he has to prove he is ready.  It is to his advantage not to be rushed.  Fitz hopefully will be signed and brought back as the starter.  Fitz is also very good at working with young QBs and will help Petty develop.

let train Petty for years,this is not college football,if the guy not ready in 2 years time to move on, as for Fitz it time to move on from him,you watch the Bills game

I don't think we should give up on Geno. Remember what his circumstances were in his first two years. He was thrown into the fire right away, had virtually no weapons to throw to and had awful coaches to work for. His head coach knew next to nothing about running an NFL offense, and then everyone was surprised when Geno made rookie mistakes. He did show flashes of being a very good QB at times. He is already a quality backup. Petty is what he is - a project who is lucky to have a job in the NFL

I don't think we should give up on Geno. Remember what his circumstances were in his first two years. He was thrown into the fire right away, had virtually no weapons to throw to and had awful coaches to work for. His head coach knew next to nothing about running an NFL offense, and then everyone was surprised when Geno made rookie mistakes. He did show flashes of being a very good QB at times. He is already a quality backup. Petty is what he is - a project who is lucky to have a job in the NFL

Will the excuses ever stop?  Let it go, mate.

Will the excuses ever stop?  Let it go, mate.

I know most Jet fans have given up on the guy...and mostly hate Geno..

But those excuses are legitimate...I've asked this question many times on this board and have yet to get an answer - from anyone..

What would the Jets record be this year without Marshall? How good would "Fitz-Magic" have been without that security blanket?

Listen, I like Fitz - he did a nice job for this team - but Geno has never really been given a chance...

We already have a "quality backup".  Fitz.

And I don't know about anyone else.  But I'm tired of "projects" at the QB position.  You remember Simms, Clemens, Bollinger, and the hundred other scrubs we had to endure/watch flame out who were projects?  I do.  

If you thought that Simms or Bollinger where actual projects to become starting QBs its on you.

But those excuses are legitimate...I've asked this question many times on this board and have yet to get an answer - from anyone..

What would the Jets record be this year without Marshall? How good would "Fitz-Magic" have been without that security blanket?

Listen, I like Fitz - he did a nice job for this team - but Geno has never really been given a chance...

people dont bother to give you an answer because you say things like "those excuses are legit"

I cant say that I've looked at every QB, but when I came across Wentz he looks like a legit QB, not just some dude with a big arm. He's accurate and seems to make the right decisions with the football. He can play both the shotgun and under center and he can play the intermediate game with the best of them which is right up Chan Gailey's alley. 

Thats what I like about his game. He looks like he would work well in this system but he also has the strength and accuracy to include guys like Devin Smith in the fold and he's a mobile QB. His pocket presence isnt as good as Glennon's but I think its because Glennon isnt really a mobile QB so Glennon uses his feel for the pocket along with this ability to never stop looking down the field to his particular advantage. 

Wentz in this system could work very well imo, and from what I saw from the usual names at QB, he's the one that actually impressed me. Many bring up his level of competition, which does play a part, but I see a QB that can play in this league every Sunday with like a year to develop. 

I seriously doubt Glennon is even on Macc's radar, and if not then I would pull the trigger at #20 if Wentz is still on the board...with no hesitation. 

Mac's comments are pretty telling.  Looks like we will be drafting a QB at round 1 or 2.  What's even scarier is, after we sign Fitz and draft a QB,  it appears Geno and Petty will be fighting it out to be the 2nd stringer.  :blink:  

I listened to Macc's radio interview last night. He reiterated his belief that you "draft a QB a year" but praised Petty. Which basically means he's nowhere near ready. My bet is we draft another QB and trade Geno. Petty at least deserves some pre-season snaps.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Listen, my friend.  Players who start at QB for two full seasons simply cannot be described as "not given a chance".

No one will answer your "record be..." question because no one knows, it's just projection.

For example, what would our record be if Geno had, in fact, started all of this season?  I say it's 6-10.  You'll say it's 11-5.  Who is right?  Neither of us, because it didn't happen.

We know what we know.  Geno started two full seasons, and was the worst QB int he NFL over that period.

Not given a chance?  Holy Hell, that's exactly the kind of excuse making I'm talking about.

Fitz sets team records, wave that away as nothing, but GENO!  Geno needs a "chance".  Ugh.

I listened to Macc's radio interview last night. He reiterated his belief that you "draft a QB a year" but praised Petty. Which basically means he's nowhere near ready. My bet is we draft another QB and trade Geno. Petty at least deserves some pre-season snaps.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Trade Geno for what, a bag of footballs?

Please enlighten me as to which NFL team has interest in trading for Geno, please?

Listen, my friend.  Players who start at QB for two full seasons simply cannot be described as "not given a chance".

No one will answer your "record be..." question because no one knows, it's just projection.

For example, what would our record be if Geno had, in fact, started all of this season?  I say it's 6-10.  You'll say it's 11-5.  Who is right?  Neither of us, because it didn't happen.

We know what we know.  Geno started two full seasons, and was the worst QB int he NFL over that period.

Not given a chance?  Holy Hell, that's exactly the kind of excuse making I'm talking about.

Fitz sets team records, wave that away as nothing, but GENO!  Geno needs a "chance".  Ugh.

I'm not saying Fitz is bad, nor am I taking anything away from the quality season he had and lastly, I'm not saying Geno should start over him.  But I simply can't dismiss Geno as done yet.

To not see what I'm saying about the weapons Geno was given is simply being obtuse and argumentative.  The chance is referencing seeing him with talent.

The question about Fitz without Marshall is a legitimate one...

Of course it's just a projection, but this a message board and that's what we do here.  We don't live in facts.

I don't think I'm getting an answer because people already know what it is and simply don't want to say it...6 wins, tops!  That's the impact a guy like Marshall had on this and anyone watching the Jets this season knows that. 

Not that difficult to do considering we haven't had a decent QB since Joe Namath. 

Ken O'Brian, Vinny T., Favre, Chad and Fitz are all decent QB's.

Not Franchise HOF QB's, no.

But serviceable, winning-season, playoff-caliber QB's the lot.

Trying to claim there is no difference between these named guys, and Geno Smith, is pure comedy gold.

"Quality #2"!!??  WTF.  If that's the case, release the bum now.  It seems that all we've had for decades are #2-#3 QBs in the stable.  

I would not call Geno a quality #2. Sanchez either,a judging by why I saw in Philly.  A quality #2 QB is a good get in the 4 position of a draft

I really love Macc's approach. Its not just important to find that #1 QB. The QB behind him is just as important in this league. To turn a 4th rounder into a quality starter would be phenomenal, but damn near impossible. However, to turn that 4th rounder into a quality back up could literally save your season. 

I really hope we draft Carson Wentz or trade for Glennon. 

Glennon for a 7th rounder is a good deal.

Archived