Carlton and Boomer: " Fitz/Jets have an agreement in place

32EBoozer

Its Carlton, so take it for what its worth.

Not sure if anyone else heard this, but around 7:30 this morning Carton (Boomer & Carton) said that he was told this weekend that the Jets and Fitz have an agreement in principle but he can't sign it (and they can't announce it) until they make some moves to free up some Cap space. He sounded certain of his source. He said that was the reason why there wasn't anymore chatter/rumors in public about the situation.

It would make a certain amount of sense. Both sides realize they need each other... Fitz sees the writing on the wall. Might as well appear to be a "Team" guy.

Mac wants to get things buttoned up leading to the Draft. If he can trade Mo, he gets Cap relief. If he doesn't, he shoots for an OT and gains cap relief(Brick/Breno)

If he drafts a QB, Geno gets cut and he gains some Cap relief.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys but if history teaches us anything, most of you loving the resigning of Fitz, won't be feeling the same way by mid season.

The correct move, if the Jets are moving on from Geno was, upgrading the QB position with younger more long term solution. Signing Fitz as our starter is nothing short of a dead end. With this years schedule and the perfect blueprint Rex laid out, we will be luck to win 8 games.

If that is going to be the case, then better to lose 8 with a QB that is going to improve the following year, rather then one who had his peak last season.

I was kind of thinking that something like this might be going on. Not sure about the exact rules on signing players. Do they get any kind of a grace period to clear cap space or when the player signs does the space have to be available. I think it has to be available right then and there. This is the most sensible scenario for this situation. Fitz isn't stupid enough to try to get unattainable money. 

I tend to believe the report because all of a sudden the agent (Sexton)
has stopped leaking info to the media.  If Fitzpatrick is coming back
I hope he's ready to equal or surpass his performance in 2015.  Because
after all of this contract drama the fans are not going to give him a
"free ride".  With Marshall, Decker, Forte and Powell to throw to there's
no way he should be under 60% completion:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/8664/ryan-fitzpatrick

The fans are going to hold him to a higher standard in 2016 I hope he's
ready for it

38 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Sorry guys but if history teaches us anything, most of you loving the resigning of Fitz, won't be feeling the same way by mid season.

The correct move, if the Jets are moving on from Geno was, upgrading the QB position with younger more long term solution. Signing Fitz as our starter is nothing short of a dead end. With this years schedule and the perfect blueprint Rex laid out, we will be luck to win 8 games.

If that is going to be the case, then better to lose 8 with a QB that is going to improve the following year, rather then one who had his peak last season.

Holy crap, your a genius!! Why the hell did nobody else think of this?? Being its so easy and all that kinda stuff.

20 minutes ago, KRL said:

"free ride".  With Marshall, Decker, Forte and Powell to throw to there's

ready for it

Yes we can get real nasty fast.......

He had better be prepared.....

IF the schedule really is going to be that much more difficult (a premise I laugh at cause nobody knows when a team becomes good, or falls to sh*t, or suffers injuries leading up to our matchup)

THEN wouldn't we rather have cool-hand-Fitz take the heat calmly while a rookie QB watches and learns? If there's one thing I really appreciated about Fitzpatrick it was his uncanny ability to not give sh*ts when the going got tough. 

34 minutes ago, KRL said:

has stopped leaking info to the media.

Reasonable supposition.

If Fitzpatrick is coming back I hope he's ready to equal or surpass his performance in 2015.

He will not.

Because after all of this contract drama the fans are not going to give him a
"free ride".

No one was ever going to give him a free ride.  He supporters think he is, at best, a fill-in mentor holding the fort till we draft/trade for a Franchise guy.

His detractors think he's liquid dogsh*t.

Safe to say everyone is going to go into 2016, under Fitz, with unrealistic expectations and torches (and forum posts loudly proclaiming they were right) at the ready.

ready for it

What fans say is irrelevant and we can't "hold" anyone to anything.  Wins and losses, and the Owner/GM is all that counts.  

The worst thing the Jets can do to him is something he's already done 11 times.  Move along.

THEN wouldn't we rather have cool-hand-Fitz take the heat calmly while a rookie QB watches and learns? If there's one thing I really appreciated about Fitzpatrick it was his uncanny ability to not give sh*ts when the going got tough. 

Like the 4th quarter in Buffalo with the playoffs on the line?

If this is true, it gives the Jets the best chance to win games THIS year, which is fine, but Fitz is merely a placeholder, and the bigger question for me is - who is he keeping the seat warm for?  Will that QB be on the roster after this years draft? 

4 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

If this is true, it gives the Jets the best chance to win games THIS year, which is fine, but Fitz is merely a placeholder, and the bigger question for me is - who is he keeping the seat warm for?  Will that QB be on the roster after this years draft? 

Just speaking for myself I'm not worried about a long term strategy at the Qb position. We do have two developing Qbs on the roster right now and Petty was considered a pretty good prospect going into last year's draft. We traded up to get him in the 4th round. I think like with many positions you can go on a year to year basis and do not need a franchise Qb unless you get lucky and one falls into your lap. GB did not anticipate Rodgers would be that great. As long as you have someone who can operate your offense effectively. The Jets tried that with Mark Sanchez and if you put all of your eggs in one unproven basket you can set the franchise back and lose a lot of games. I hope this is true but so far I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else. 

Good news if true, hopefully they still draft another QB early on.  Let Fitz mentor Geno, Petty and pick, cut worst of the three backups..move forward with a vet at the helm and some kids to develop.

1 hour ago, fltflo said:

Wrong. Better to lose games and get a high draft pick

1 hour ago, KRL said:

"free ride".
 With Marshall, Decker, Forte and Powell to throw to there's

ready for it

Oh, he will absolutely get a free ride -- right out of town.  You are spot on in regards to his once in a lifetime performance being dependent on being bailed out by his receivers.  I firmly believe this was a one-time phenomenon.  Hope I am wrong, but this mutt has a body of work that says last season was an aberration.  He was the right guy to take a shot with last season, but not going forward.  Like I said in another post, he better come cheap and short with an easy out for the Jets.

Archived