Fitz ain't comin back

David Harris

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000653687/article/fitzpatrick-jets-likely-wont-get-deal-done-before-draft

Negotiations are now stopped until after the NFL draft. The same NFL draft that Mike Mccaggan just tried to jump to the number one overal pick so he could draft a quarterback. Mike has interviewed and brought in every single viable quarterback in this draft.  This guy is locked in.

Fitzy- you have just about blown it. Your probable one last opportunity to start in the NFL will disappear in about 10 ten days when the NYJ use a high pick to obtain a QB.  Maybe we jump up for Goff and he starts day one but even if we take a developmental prospect I think it's the end for Ryan here.  Macc is a realist, with a tough schedule and a tight cap, with an alright QB who wants to get paid like a good one.  Mac has two young quarterbacks on the roster that he wants to look at plus there will be a new rookie. After this draft their will be 3 young cheap QB's in the room and Fitz will be a year older.  

If I were his agent I'd tell him to take the one offer on the table asap, but now it may already be too late.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the article - Forget Fitz. The Jets have a tougher schedule, lost a pillar LT, a thousand yard rusher and one of the league's best run stuffers. Even if Fitz does return, does anyone think the Jets will be one game better next season than this past season, especially with the NFC West and AFC North looming on the schedule? That being the case, it's time to rebuild. Let's either move up and draft Lynch, or (and I actually think this is a viable option) see what Geno can do with actual receivers at his disposal. 

8 hours ago, Freemanm said:

I agree with the article - Forget Fitz. The Jets have a tougher schedule, lost a pillar LT, a thousand yard rusher and one of the league's best run stuffers. Even if Fitz does return, does anyone think the Jets will be one game better next season than this past season, especially with the NFC West and AFC North looming on the schedule? That being the case, it's time to rebuild. Let's either move up and draft Lynch, or (and I actually think this is a viable option) see what Geno can do with actual receivers at his disposal. 

The "pillar LT" we "lost" was an emotional one not an actual production loss. It would be hard to find a way to downgrade, and that includes if Clady gets injured. If healthy, he's a dramatic upgrade over what the pillar had sadly become, because he was once a really great pass protector.The DL will be downgraded a bit, but by how much remains to be seen.

I do think Maccagnan sees this as a "not-winner" season with or without Fitzpatrick, and offered him a contract that he felt he could live with even if/after he'd been relegated to backup. However I'd be genuinely surprised to see Geno back, particularly in a starting role, after Woody's slip-up (which is why he needs to shut it) in inadvertently contradicting both his HC and GM with his comment that he's not concerned because "[by the start of the season] we'll have somebody [else]" to start at QB. So it's not Geno, and it's not Petty either. 

Beyond possibly bringing back Fitzpatrick on a team-friendly deal, he's been totally opposite in bringing back anyone on defense who was both pricey and a 1-2 year fill in. (Mo is very likely to be on another team this season). The only such players at all that were added were at LT (and an upgrade was needed there so a rookie would have more time to throw, plus he technically represents as much as a $4M cap savings from Ferguson), and in Forte (to give a rookie better pass blocking and a better checkdown outlet than Ivory), and so he didn't head into this draft with instant upgrade needs (ok, "desires") at both tackles spots. 

40 minutes ago, David Harris said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000653687/article/fitzpatrick-jets-likely-wont-get-deal-done-before-draft

Negotiations are now stopped until after the NFL draft. The same NFL draft that Mike Mccaggan just tried to jump to the number one overal pick so he could draft a quarterback. Mike has interviewed and brought in every single viable quarterback in this draft.  This guy is locked in.

Fitzy- you have just about blown it. Your probable one last opportunity to start in the NFL will disappear in about 10 ten days when the NYJ use a high pick to obtain a QB.  Maybe we jump up for Goff and he starts day one but even if we take a developmental prospect I think it's the end for Ryan here.  Macc is a realist, with a tough schedule and a tight cap, with an alright QB who wants to get paid like a good one.  Mac has two young quarterbacks on the roster that he wants to look at plus there will be a new rookie. After this draft their will be 3 young cheap QB's in the room and Fitz will be a year older.  

If I were his agent I'd tell him to take the one offer on the table asap, but now it may already be too late.

The Jets Fo are okay going in another direction at Qb.( have to respect their decision as they have a value what Fitzpatrick is worth . They aren't going to way behind that.

Jmo  I don't think Ryan Fitzpatrick cares either about that ( playing for the Jets),  as he sees it a matter of principle.( like the jets , he has a value in his mind ( his worth) and isn't going below that).    When traded to the Jets last year, he almost retired.( so I think he's prepared to go in that direction- put his Harvard degree to work). 

So I believe Ryan Fitzpatrick is prepared to stay home and hope that some contending team starting Qb goes down with an injury - in training camp.  If that happens he suddenly becomes a hot commodity.  If that scenario doesn't occur he probably prepared to retire from the Game.

The Jets get off to a bad start, and the offense struggles.  You know a lot of Jet fans are going to question the decision not to give Fitzpatrick starting pay salary.( they would be wrong , as your Fo has made a professional decision regarding Fitzpatrick.

Fitz is still holding the Denver card over the Jets head.  Would you rather QB Denver for 7 million or the Jets.  Not exactly rocket science.  Until Denver makes their move definitive regarding Kap, Fitz will not budge.  Even if we do sign a Goff or Wentz or Lynch, Fitz would still be a viable option to be signed for a year or two as a starter and mentor/backup.       

7 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Fitz is still holding the Denver card over the Jets head.  Would you rather QB Denver for 7 million or the Jets.  Not exactly rocket science.  Until Denver makes their move definitive regarding Kap, Fitz will not budge.  Even if we do sign a Goff or Wentz or Lynch, Fitz would still be a viable option to be signed for a year or two as a starter and mentor/backup.       

I'd rather QB Denver. Denver doesn't want him. His last season was a perfect storm for his limited ability and I love the guy. We got Gailey and the right receivers for a guy who's arm strength is garbage. We're the best fit for him and he's the best fit for us. If he won't be reasonable then retire cause you're not getting the big payday you want

Just now, SayNoToDMC said:

I'd rather QB Denver. Denver doesn't want him. His last season was a perfect storm for his limited ability and I love the guy. We got Gailey and the right receivers for a guy who's arm strength is garbage. We're the best fit for him and he's the best fit for us, if he won't be reasonable then retire cause you're not getting the big payday you want

Elway is smarter than most GM's since he's played the game and the position.  I really don't think he's resigned to letting Sanchez be his starter.  Fitz would be a much better game manager for Denver than Sanchez.  Elway, like Fitz, is waiting to see what happens with Kap, who I believe eventually will sign with the Broncos.  Once that transpires, Fitz will be like the prodigal son and welcomed back with open arms.  As you said, he's the best fit for this team and this team is the best fit for him.  We all, like Mac, just have to be patient for a few more weeks and then it will all unfold. Finally.  

14 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Elway is smarter than most GM's since he's played the game and the position.  I really don't think he's resigned to letting Sanchez be his starter.  Fitz would be a much better game manager for Denver than Sanchez.  Elway, like Fitz, is waiting to see what happens with Kap, who I believe eventually will sign with the Broncos.  Once that transpires, Fitz will be like the prodigal son and welcomed back with open arms.  As you said, he's the best fit for this team and this team is the best fit for him.  We all, like Mac, just have to be patient for a few more weeks and then it will all unfold. Finally.  

Fitz is not better than Sanchez n that tells you a lot. He can beat Sanchez in a classroom but not on the field. Hell, he couldn't beat the lowly depleted Bills team to reach the playoffs. 

Fitz < Geno < Sanchez < Tom Tupa

2 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Fitz is not better than Sanchez n that tells you a lot. He can beat Sanchez in a classroom but not on the field. Hell, he couldn't beat the lowly depleted Bills team to reach the playoffs. 

Fitz < Geno < Sanchez < Tom Tupa

No he may not be better than Sanchez BUT he is a better game manager and that's all Elway would expect or ask of him. 

11 minutes ago, Powpow said:

No he may not be better than Sanchez BUT he is a better game manager and that's all Elway would expect or ask of him. 

I think with the team Elway is building, given Kubiak as his coach they want somebody who can throw a deep ball. He just wants to unstack the box and run, with that defense I don't blame him. 

2 hours ago, Powpow said:

I agree. DEN won it all with a game manager (and a poor one at that with Manning a shell of his former self) and knows they can compete with Fitz if need be. If/when DEN signs Kaep, Fitz probably signs with Jets next day at a price slightly above the "original" offer of $7-$8M so that both sides can save some face, even if the annual number is pumped up by phony years tacked onto the end of the deal.

I do think Mac is locked in at getting a QB this draft. With all the free agents that we lost giving us decent comp picks for 2017 draft, and the boatload of cap space we'll have in free agency next year, plus MO as a bargaining chip, this year is the year to get one of the top 3 quarterbacks in the draft.

Let them learn and if Fitz doesn't want to sign then you go with geno/petty/maybe sign Hoyer for this year. Next year you fill out the roster with a much more flexible off season, and build around that QB. 

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

Agree with this. There were reports last year of Mac looking to trade with Titans for #2, Mac knows this team needs a young franchise QB. Only problem last year was picks 1/2 def wanted QB and after that QB's had a huge drop off. 

If the Browns really want to trade out I think Mac gets it done, if not I thibk he trades up (whoever) to get Lynch. Nobody can expect Bryce to be ready yet. That's how much he still had to learn from that Baylor offense. And there's nothing wrong with that. QB's taken in the fourth are either to be a good back up, or ready to start by year 4 (see kirk cousins). It takes time.

But you can't hang your hat on that, in the interim we still need a QB.

Looks like this is a different NFL. Players want to get paid no matter what. Especially near the end of their career. Brick felt it was only worth it to play at a high price no matter his production. Fitz won't play for the Jets due to the same reason. He may not even play again for any team.

concussions are real. Veteran players and their agents see this. The Jets are going hard after one of the top QB picks. 

3 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I don't even care anymore about XXXXXX. Sign that bag of sh*t YYYYY, our team isn't winning it all this this year anyway. 

Plug in anyone for XXXX   and YYYYY and you have your New York Jets.  The bottom of the NFL for 45 years strong!

How the hell did I get tied to this franchise???? :)

I wouldn't be so sure. There's a long way to go in negotiations. I don't see the draft changing too much even if we get a QB. Now if we ended up with Goff or Wentz it's a different story but that's looking unlikely. If we drafted Lynch I could still see us signing Fitz for short term insurance, obviously at much less money than he's demanding.

The fact is it doesn't look like anyone is valuing him higher than we are and until that changes there's nothing for him to do but sign or retire - Which he may consider, understandably. I still think he'll be back, on our terms rather than his. I feel bad for him because his actual ability as a QB is probably worth more than what he's being offered, but his age and track record just kill him. It's a young man's game. 

5 hours ago, Powpow said:

Pretty flimsy card (like a 2 of Diamonds)

Sanchez making $4.5m with $1m guaranteed.

I doubt Elways is signing Fitz for $9m with a very real posibility he can't beat out Sanchez & Vonn Miller deal needing to get done.

I'd bet Elwayy drafts Cook or trades up for Lynch(Big strong QB like Elway in his day)

I think the Kap trade is dead in the water. Sanchez has been saying all the right things. I think they fly with him & Draft a QB

Elway will sign Hoyer cheap than overpay for Fitz. If I were the Jets I'd get Hoyer signed NOW! to a $4m deal before Denver does.

If Denver signs Hoyer, Fitz will realize he is the Jets best hope, especially if they don't get a QB in the Draft.

He didn't say Fitz wasn't going to sign with the Jets he said not until after the draft. But it looks like Hoyer who Mac likes could be Plan B. Don't be shocked if after all is said and done Fitz retires. That could be his personal leverage in negotiations.

Honestly, I think we (fans) give about 1000x more sh*ts than the Front Office does about what the hell happens with Fitz.... Especially 10 days before the draft. 

Why would you, or any fan, give a 1,000 sh*ts about what happens to Fitz?

He either signs with the Jets or he doesn't.

What is there to care about?

15 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

It will be interesting to see who overplayed their hand more;

SF who did not cut Kap in time and guaranteed his 12m salary

or

Fitz agent who held out for "starters" money 

Could be a tie if Kap is on the bench and Fitz is on the couch when the season starts

Kap's money was guaranteed either way for injury. They couldn't cut him. This has been discussed many times.

And Fitz has plenty of money. He can play his hand however he wants. He should hold out for the most money. It's a violent game. 

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Kap's money was guaranteed either way for injury. They couldn't cut him. This has been discussed many times.

And Fitz has plenty of money. He can play his hand however he wants. He should hold out for the most money. It's a violent game. 

Thanks, did not realize Kap was still injured, thought he was ready to go for camp

and agree we can't tell Fitz how to live his life but assuming he had goals in football other then making money, the Jets made sense to live the dream a little longer, and since he has plenty of money, why quibble, life is too short... 

Fitz and his agent made a mistake here. At this point, the question is NOT who's going to meet the demands of Fitz, its who's going to offer a contract to him similar to the Jets. 

Here is one thing I'm certain about this team:

a. Geno Smith will not start for this team. 

b. Wilk will be traded in 9 days. Guaranteed. 

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

This is good news. 

First of all double Fitz's salary last year was chump change for an NFL starter off of a good season. He was getting backup money last year. When Brick retired he said the movie Concussion was a factor. So he passed on a pay cut because he thought it wasn't worth it even though by most standards millions of bucks, a lot of money. Fitz might feel the same way. It's not worth it under a certain dollar figure that he set not the press or the fans. 

20 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

I hear people on the retirement thing but think about this.

Nobody wants Fitz right now. But that can change so quickly.

A qb for a good team will (likely) get injured in preseason. And just like that, he becomes wanted.

Yes but he's going to be paid much less than he would if he signed now

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

It will be interesting to see who overplayed their hand more;

SF who did not cut Kap in time and guaranteed his 12m salary

or

Fitz agent who held out for "starters" money 

Could be a tie if Kap is on the bench and Fitz is on the couch when the season starts

SF couldn't cut Kaepernick. There's a high probability they'd still have been on the hook for the $12M and there may not have even been an offset should Denver then have signed him for $7M. Prior to April 1, the $12M was only guaranteed for injury, but the reality is he had surgery on both his right thumb and knee after SF's season ended - injuries stemming from on-field play - and after being in a cast for 6 weeks the total thumb rehab was expected to be 3 months which would push it past April 1.

They may have been able to in the end, but it surely would have been contested if he got less than $11.9M from someone else (for just the 2016 season alone).

Archived