Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

You don't draft a guy in the 2nd round who's mechanics are so screwed up that it is a huge issue.

Yes, you do. QB is the most important position in any sport, period. Teams will expend exhaustive resources and take almost any risk to get even a competent one. This is a world where Brock Osweiler signed a $72 million contract on the strength of 4 games and Matt Cassell was traded for the 34th pick in the draft and Kevin Kolb was traded for Rogers-Cromartie (himself a first round pick) and a 2nd round pick.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Yes, you do. QB is the most important position in any sport, period. Teams will expend exhaustive resources and take almost any risk to get even a competent one. This is a world where Brock Osweiler signed a $72 million contract on the strength of 4 games and Matt Cassell was traded for the 34th pick in the draft and Kevin Kolb was traded for Rogers-Cromartie (himself a first round pick) and a 2nd round pick.

Yep.  There's no greater asset to collect than QB's.  And I don't think if we whiff on Petty and Hackenberg that Macc's job will be on the line, like many are saying.  This is a GM who understands you need to take shots at getting a franchise QB, and you don't "kick the can down the road" with the problem, biding your time to take the one QB who makes or breaks your regime.  It's just not a good strategy. 

Operate more like the Panthers, who took Jimmy Clausen one year (and failed), and the next year were snagging Cam Newton with the # 1 overall pick.  Or even the Redskins (bleck), who took RG3 # 2 overall, then Cousins in the SAME DRAFT.  For once, they made a smart move as a franchise. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  There's no greater asset to collect than QB's.  And I don't think if we whiff on Petty and Hackenberg that Macc's job will be on the line, like many are saying.  This is a GM who understands you need to take shots at getting a franchise QB, and you don't "kick the can down the road" with the problem, biding your time to take the one QB who makes or breaks your regime.  It's just not a good strategy. 

Operate more like the Panthers, who took Jimmy Clausen one year (and failed), and the next year were snagging Cam Newton with the # 1 overall pick.  Or even the Redskins (bleck), who took RG3 # 2 overall, then Cousins in the SAME DRAFT.  For once, they made a smart move as a franchise. 

A guy without a major flaw/red flag or third arm growing out his back will be taken in the first round if you're talking QBs.

• Upvote 1

Draft a developmental Qb each year?  Yes, all for it.

Draft a Qb in the 2nd round?  sure, all for it.

Draft a Qb in the 2nd round with what sounds like massive issues?  Not for it.

This is not so much about philosophy as it is about the player himself for me.

The higher you draft a QB the more you are committed one way or another to him, at least giving him what people would call a multi year chance.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Draft a developmental Qb each year?  Yes, all for it.

Draft a Qb in the 2nd round?  sure, all for it.

Draft a Qb in the 2nd round with what sounds like massive issues?  Not for it.

This is not so much about philosophy as it is about the player himself for me.

The higher you draft a QB the more you are committed one way or another to him, at least giving him what people would call a multi year chance.

I can't tell you whether Hackenberg will bust or not. But I thought taking Geno in the 2nd was a reasonably calculated risk and same for Hack. Both had 1st round grades at various points in their college careers and dropped for different reasons (Geno: horrible interviews/attitude; Hack: switch to spread system he was horrible in). That's what you get in 2nd round when it comes to QBs.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

I can't tell you whether Hackenberg will bust or not. But I thought taking Geno in the 2nd was a reasonably calculated risk and same for Hack. Both had 1st round grades at various points in their college careers and for different reasons (Geno: horrible interviews/attitude; Hack: switch to spread system he was horrible in) dropped. That's what you get in 2nd round when it comes to QBs.

or you can get Kellen Clemens

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I can't tell you whether Hackenberg will bust or not. But I thought taking Geno in the 2nd was a reasonably calculated risk and same for Hack. Both had 1st round grades at various points in their college careers and dropped for different reasons (Geno: horrible interviews/attitude; Hack: switch to spread system he was horrible in). That's what you get in 2nd round when it comes to QBs.

Geno had for the most part a much higher buzz going into the draft than Hackenburg.  His playing system was foreign but he looked like a good prospect.  Geno had to adapt at the pro level.  Hackenburg had two yeas to adapt at the college level.

Don't think I am actively cheering against the player or anything, I hope he is the guy we have been waiting for.  I just don't like the player prospect wise.  I don't like drafting guys for who they were two yeas ago or coming into college.

We shall see,

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

Geno had for the most part a much higher buzz going into the draft than Hackenburg.  His playing system was foreign but he looked like a good prospect.  Geno had to adapt at the pro level.  Hackenburg had two yeas to adapt at the college level.

Don't think I am actively cheering against the player or anything, I hope he is the guy we have been waiting for.  I just don't like the player prospect wise.  I don't like drafting guys for who they were two yeas ago or coming into college.

We shall see,

Judging by your previous history at evaluating QB's, I'm not too worried 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

or you can get Kellen Clemens

That's the thing about roulette. You have to place your bets before the ball lands. Would be much easier the other way around!

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We shall see,

Your points are fair and well taken. Geno was taken 39th in a putrid QB class and Hack 51st in a much stronger one so I think that alone accounts for the difference in buzz. I wouldn't say I was optimistic about either pick, only that given the importance of QB, the fact that most are overdrafted, and that at some point at least some pundits rated them as first rounders, they both look like a decent enough gamble at the time the picks were made.

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You don't draft a guy in the 2nd round who's mechanics are so screwed up that it is a huge issue.

Why not?   So when would you? 

Jets drafted a one trick pony, at the time, WR in Smith in the 2nd round last yr. And that was 15 picks higher. 

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Don't forget Matt Flynn's huge contract after throwing 6 tds in a game after years of backing up Aaron rodgers

11 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

how many wanted paxton lynch?

Def didn't want him in round 1

thought he was much too raw .... And the clips / reviews I had a chance to check out before the draft were up & down ... Not enough to win me over even as who I wanted to hang my hat on a couple years down the road.

8 hours ago, JoeC36 said:

Don't forget Matt Flynn's huge contract after throwing 6 tds in a game after years of backing up Aaron rodgers

Great point, and that contract was given by one of the best run organizations in sports. When it comes to player evaluation, especially with quarterbacks you have to take some chances til you get it right. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

I don't have high hopes for Hackenburg and think we will be drafting a Qb again next Spring

Can understand the feeling. At this point I'll allow myself the indulgence of hope. I hoped for Geno and I'll hope for Hack. We'll see in a year or two.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 1:20 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I would agree as far as it goes with what you said here.  And I do not mean what I am about to bring up would mean Macc's job would be on the line in such event.  but if Lynch turns out to be a good pick for Denver, I guarantee there will be some grumbling about the Jets having passed on him.  As there probably should be.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I would agree as far as it goes with what you said here.  And I do not mean what I am about to bring up would mean Macc's job would be on the line in such event.  but if Lynch turns out to be a good pick for Denver, I guarantee there will be some grumbling about the Jets having passed on him.  As there probably should be.

Oh for sure.  It's acceptable to whiff on a QB if there were no better options available.  But if you whiff AND a playoff-caliber QB was just sitting there at 20.....that's not easily forgivable.  It's the same reason we bash previous GM's for passing on Russell Wilson and Derek Carr, and deservedly so.  You cannot afford to miss that poorly on QB's. 

• Upvote 3

I'm not for collecting Qbs and drafting a new one every year. You have to have some stability in the Qb room and it's not easy giving a Qb a real chance to play and that means during the regular season. I'm not even against making Hack our no. 2 this season because I think he is at this time maybe better than Geno Smith. That he could run a limited offense better than Geno could a full offense in 2016. If you commit to a guy like Hack you have to put him on the field sometime. And there has to be a first time. Overall I'm more for going with a vet like Fitz over a young Qb. You don't have to struggle and lose games while they learn how to play the position. And more than half the time they find out the Qb isn't really that good. Why give up entire seasons in rebuilding when you can win with an experienced Qb. If Fitz plays well I'm not against signing him to another 1 year deal in 2017. But I think it might be Hack in 2017.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 7:50 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Potential good omen here: Literally the same exact moment that the Jets drafted him, Yoenis Cespedes hit a grand slam which set a new Mets franchise record for most runs in an inning. No lie. Literally happened simultaneously. The pick popped up on my screen as the ball landed in left.

not the Met crap again ...geez

Truth be told I really wouldn't mind not seeing Hackenberg on the field until the last preseason game against the potential cap cuts .  The kid is not and should not be in position to see the field in a regular season game this year .  The last game of preseason would be a good way to give him live reps against and opposing defense to begin the process of getting him ready to compete for at least the backup Job in 2017 .  Don't ruin this one guys, he needs time but he can be an improved Eli manning and exactly what this miserable fan base has been waiting for . 

That is all .

Next year we draft another one .

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2016 at 6:58 AM, Smashmouth said:

This thread is hilarious

First I read that Hackenberg already sucks and the pick was terrible then I read how the Mets own NY

Just had to stop reading after that stupidity. These forums are really becoming unreadable

Meh... could be worse. There could be someone on here night and day extolling the virtues of Chad Pennington and Mark Sanchez.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Truth be told I really wouldn't mind not seeing Hackenberg on the field until the last preseason game against the potential cap cuts .  The kid is not and should not be in position to see the field in a regular season game this year .  The last game of preseason would be a good way to give him live reps against and opposing defense to begin the process of getting him ready to compete for at least the backup Job in 2017 .  Don't ruin this one guys, he needs time but he can be an improved Eli manning and exactly what this miserable fan base has been waiting for . 

That is all .

Next year we draft another one .

We are down right afraid to even play a 2nd round pick until the last few minutes vs 4ht string scrubs?  F that.  Every other team in the league is giving semi meaningful snaps in preseason to their young, developmental 3rd stringers.

Re: the Gruden tape - did Gruden comment on Hackenburg not going until the second round?  Wonder what he thought when that happened.  The suggestion of course is that the Jets were lucky to get him there. 

As for Beer's post this again is another example of how there is downside in keeping Smith.  It's possible the Jets are happy enough with what they see in Hackenburg that they have him already not only inked in on the roster (expected, of course, given his draft status) but also showing progress and promise.  Hence I get it makes sense to play Petty and see if he can be reliable enough to go ahead and cut Smith.

But Smith is still getting reps, and you can't make up the whole way not getting reps in games.  Which so far Hack has not gotten. 

Even if the plan everyone is comfortable with is to have Hack be third string all year, I think it still makes a difference whether he can get plays in during these pre-season games.  Let him get a feel for the speed at this level.  Get the experience.

So far, with Smith still in there, Hackenburg is not getting that.  Hopefully that changes, and I could say I expect it will, but I frankly don't know if the CS is more focused on the Smith v. Petty battle so much so that they are willing to accept this downside.

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We are down right afraid to even play a 2nd round pick until the last few minutes vs 4ht string scrubs?  F that.  Every other team in the league is giving semi meaningful snaps in preseason to their young, developmental 3rd stringers.

Every other team didn't draft Hackenberg and his development  is what the Jets decide . What I stated is what I hope happens because it's what I  foresaw when I envisioned Hackenberg being drafted by the Jets .  It's what I would do, and has nothing to do with what the Jets will do .

That is all .

12 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Every other team didn't draft Hackenberg and his development  is what the Jets decide . What I stated is what I hope happens because it's what I  foresaw when I envisioned Hackenberg being drafted by the Jets .  It's what I would do, and has nothing to do with what the Jets will do .

That is all .

Agreed, the jets have a plan for this kid and it's going to be at least a year until we really have any idea of what he can do. The hackenberg era begins today

• Upvote 2

In a QB starved league I never have an issue with taking a shot on a QB in the 2nd who was at one point considered a potential first rounder. Didn't mind it with Geno and don't mind it with Hack. But we have to be realistic that it's tough enough to find The Man in the first, and the odds go down the later in the draft you get. 

• Upvote 1