Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

Any player you draft you take a chance on. You have to. No doubt the FO and scouting staff did their due diligence on him. Like Geno he dropped to the 2nd round so there were ?s. And O'Brien who traded up in front the Jets (in the 2nd round) didn't select him. Houston chose Nick Martin, the OG from Notre Dame. He could have instead of signing Osweiler re-signed a vet like Hoyer and drafted Hack. But you can't wait too long for a guy to develop. You'd expect him to be ready to play in year 2. I'm not sure about giving excuses for inaccuracy in college. If the Nittany Lions O-line was that bad and changes in coaching staff a factor. It was but expectations are that a player in college can adapt esp if he is a superior talent. Most players on opposing teams are not NFL quality. So he should of played well. I'm excited to see what he can do this summer. 

I don't care if Fitz throws 100 TD'S, dude is a loser, never will be a winner, and you can include him in that list who won't throw for 4k, and 30 TD's in 2016, the Jets aren't facing 14 semi pro defenses like last seasons schedule had.

Wrong.

He was 10-6 last year thus making him a winner.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

On May 1, 2016 at 0:42 PM, Skeptable said:

Like I said earlier most of you will be praising him by year 3. Easily the best QB we have drafted in 30 years

He's got all the tools you need to succeed. Reminds me of Andy Dalton. Has prototypical size, arm strength, can throw within lanes, can throw deep, with touch, can read, is fairly mobile and has proven he can have positive results with the right situation behind him. Gailey will be instrumental in building Hack up. His confidence must be low but can he bounce back after 2 horrific years. If anything, give the kid credit for hanging on at Penn State after O'brien left.  Shows alot of loyalty and character.  

• Upvote 2

Badly over drafted development project.  I'll be super happy if i am wrong but for a guy with 'all the tools' all we hear about is how he has to totally redo all of his mechanics.  Buffalo got it right value wise when they drafted their QB with good looking tools but needing lots of development time in Cardale Jones in the 4th round. 

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Badly over drafted development project.  I'll be super happy if i am wrong but for a guy with 'all the tools' all we hear about is how he has to totally redo all of his mechanics.  Buffalo got it right value wise when they drafted their QB with good looking tools but needing lots of development time in Cardale Jones in the 4th round. 

Remember when Vernon Gholston had all the tools and sub-par production?

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Gholston actually did have the production his last year.  I hate to beef on Hackenburg so much becasue he looks the part but that pick just smacked of a team drafting a guy they liked 3 years ago and totally ignoring the last two years, also chasing a player instead of letting him fall to you.  In any case we will find out lots about him pretty soon.  Guys that make it in this league often show something good early on even if they have need a lot of development.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Actually he didn't have all the tools other than muscles ala Tony Mandrich and did squat in college other than get a couple sacks vs. very good lineman. People ran with that. Hack had an outstanding freshman year under O'brien and was already penciled in as the top pick in the year he decided to enter the draft. It's just a matter of tweaking his mechanics, getting his confidence up and giving him decent protection. In addition, Mac already sees that Fitz would be an ideal mentor/QB coach for this kid, hence the 3 year contract offered. ?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Actually he didn't have all the tools other than muscles ala Tony Mandrich and did squat in college other than get a couple sacks vs. very good lineman. People ran with that. Hack had an outstanding freshman year under O'brien and was already penciled in as the top pick in the year he decided to enter the draft. It's just a matter of tweaking his mechanics, getting his confidence up and giving him decent protection. In addition, Mac already sees that Fitz would be an ideal mentor/QB coach for this kid, hence the 3 year contract offered. ?

His outstanding freshman year was TWO years ago!  (And even that is a tad over played imo 20 tds 10 ints)  Two years of regression not progression is usually not a recipe for success going into the big show.

2 hours ago, Powpow said:

He's got all the tools you need to succeed. Reminds me of Andy Dalton. Has prototypical size, arm strength, can throw within lanes, can throw deep, with touch, can read, is fairly mobile and has proven he can have positive results with the right situation behind him. Gailey will be instrumental in building Hack up. His confidence must be low but can he bounce back after 2 horrific years. If anything, give the kid credit for hanging on at Penn State after O'brien left.  Shows alot of loyalty and character.  

Andy Dalton has prototypical size and arm strength?

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2016 at 6:32 PM, neckdemon said:

i don't see how you can say he comes off as mentally weak. the situation he dealt with at PSU was absolutely horrible. yet he stuck it out, stayed in the program and never gave up. how you can equate that to being mentally weak is beyond me

Just talking out of his ass.  That  is the very epitome of being mentally tough and one of the reasons I think he can succeed here is he has already gone through a great deal of adversity on the field and should be able to handle NY.  Some folks have their own agendas and will continue to sh*t on Hack until he gets a chance to prove them wrong. 

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

D-linemen, even pass rushers, are supposed to be "safer" than QB's, no?  People have made major mistakes with QB's over the years, but if you really like one as an organization, you kind of have to pull the trigger every now and then, within reason.  A Gholston comparison is complete apples and oranges.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

Size, speed, and strength... Just not good at football.

Overrated Freshman year and then two awful years, plus not particularly impressive in shorts doesn't leave a lot to inspire confidence.

Hope springs eternal though, I guess.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gholston actually did have the production his last year.  I hate to beef on Hackenburg so much becasue he looks the part but that pick just smacked of a team drafting a guy they liked 3 years ago and totally ignoring the last two years, also chasing a player instead of letting him fall to you.  In any case we will find out lots about him pretty soon.  Guys that make it in this league often show something good early on even if they have need a lot of development.

Gholston had very uneven production.  He showed up big in a few games which made his overall numbers look good, but then disappeared in far too many games.

On 5/4/2016 at 1:46 PM, PCP63 said:

I think he can pull through. People comparing him to Geno don't know what they're talking about. Geno ran options and one read verts. Hack was running pro concepts. Y Stick, Levels, Spacing Y Option, etc. He made multiple reads, and intelligent pre-snap checks.

One thing I love about watching the Pats is their deception. If you look at old Charlie Weis playbooks, you'll see how ingenious some of his alert and audible calls were.

ROOT TREES???

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

D-linemen, even pass rushers, are supposed to be "safer" than QB's, no?  People have made major mistakes with QB's over the years, but if you really like one as an organization, you kind of have to pull the trigger every now and then, within reason.  A Gholston comparison is complete apples and oranges.

Not really, both players were drafted largely on what we hoped they would be, rather than what we've seen they already are, or possibly could be.

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Not really, both players were drafted largely on what we hoped they would be, rather than what we've seen they already are, or possibly could be.

Still don't agree.  QB cannot be compared whatsoever to pass-rushing DE.  It's like they're playing completely different sports.  QB's are drafted for potential all the time now, as the pervasiveness of the spread offense has made college QB's largely ill-equipped for the pro game. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Still don't agree.  QB cannot be compared whatsoever to pass-rushing DE.  It's like they're playing completely different sports.  QB's are drafted for potential all the time now, as the pervasiveness of the spread offense has made college QB's largely ill-equipped for the pro game. 

Spread offense guys who are drafted for potential usually have ridiculous numbers, not awful ones.  You hope you can groom them in pro-style offenses and their basic talents can transfer.

Hackenberg's potential isn't based on the hope that his skillset and what he did in college will transfer, it's based on the hope that his crappy performance really was everyone else's fault.

That's a pretty significant distinction.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Gholston had very uneven production.  He showed up big in a few games which made his overall numbers look good, but then disappeared in far too many games.

Remember Simms saying this worried him pre draft.  That he had a couple of productive game and he would watch games and realize he had no clue if Gholston even suited up.  

You don't chase after guys you really like in the draft?  Even QBs?  You let them fall to you?

Who makes these rules up, pure nonsense.  There's a QB you like who could go on the next round or 2 and you want him, you draft him.  You don't wait, that's not badly over drafting someone.  

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I wanted Jones to and he was a steal in the 4th round.  That said I'm very willing to wait and see on Hackenburg I think this was a putrid QB class who knows maybe he ends up being the best player out of all of them.

54 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

People who say Hack had two terrible years only look at the stats. Stats don't tell the whole story.

What is the story?  Other than feeling sorry for a guy it matters not one lick if he had an awful oline and coach/system he didn't like.  Two years of poor performance and bad habits are two years of poor performance and bad habits.  It makes him a development QB you take from round 4 or lower.  Just like all the other guys who have flaws but potential.  He was seriously over drafted on the basis of him looking the part and his high pedigree a whopping 2 years ago.

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What is the story?  Other than feeling sorry for a guy it matters not one lick if he had an awful oline and coach/system he didn't like.  Two years of poor performance and bad habits are two years of poor performance and bad habits.  It makes him a development QB you take from round 4 or lower.  Just like all the other guys who have flaws but potential.  He was seriously over drafted on the basis of him looking the part and his high pedigree a whopping 2 years ago.

He didn't perform poorly. He made the right plays.

32 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

He didn't perform poorly. He made the right plays.

The Geno Defense:  It was everyone elses' fault, not his.  His only needs some undefineable "fair chance" with "talent around him" and he'll be great, right?

Well, we have talent, so we should see some (appropriate) "right plays" this preseason when he plays.  Nothing great, just right plays.

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Geno Defense:  It was everyone elses' fault, not his.  His only needs some undefineable "fair chance" with "talent around him" and he'll be great, right?

Well, we have talent, so we should see some (appropriate) "right plays" this preseason when he plays.  Nothing great, just right plays.

Thats not true, because every time something happens the first thing Jets fans say is "It was Geno's fault". Perfect example? How Geno allegedly played so f'ing horrible in the Raiders game. That was everyone's story. I come around with a link that showed every one of his snaps 1 by 1 with a breakdown of each completion/incompletion then suddenly Jets fans went from "He had a horrible Raiders game" to "Geno still sucks ass and I dont want him as my QB", proving that their Raiders game claim was nothing more then salty f'ing emotion and hatred instead of putting their feelings aside and doing an actual evaluation of the situation. 

I cant take this "The Geno defense" seriously, when the people who mostly agree with it are the same people who will look at that Raiders game and state the utter stupidity as I heard for months while at the same time tell me how the winter cold and 30 mile-per-hour winds was the real reason why Fitzpatrick completed 43% of his passes and threw 3 INT's in week 17 against the Bills, yet completely forgetting the fact that a few weeks before that he completed 45% of his passes and threw 2INT's against that team during the 1st meeting. 

Fitz had a "Fair chance" with "Talent around him" and arguably the weakest schedule we've ever seen the Jets have and the dude did what with it? 

No need to answer the question, im getting tired of all "The Fitz Defense" excuses by people who can dissect a Raiders game but suddenly grow dumb when we talk about  week 17 game with the playoffs on the line or Fitz performance against the Texans as well as the first meeting against the Bills. 

I dont even need to "write a book" for this reply, but atleast you know that I have enough respect not to respond to this with "derp". 

• Upvote 1

On May 1, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Irish Jet said:

Agreed. Stats don't tell the full story with this guy.

christian-hackenberg-hits-guy-on-sidelin

tt0llY9.gif

INT_9.0.gif

Miss.gif

Hack-Pick-Six.gif

HASHTAG FRANCHISE

You are showing really bad decisions and throws? Are you for Hackenburg or not? I am confused. I want to give Mc the benefit of the doubt but they have to work him much more not put him in storage for 2 years? 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2016 at 0:28 PM, Goinggreen said:

You are showing really bad decisions and throws? Are you for Hackenburg or not? I am confused. I want to give Mc the benefit of the doubt but they have to work him much more not put him in storage for 2 years? 

Bad decisions and throws? One of them was a great play by what looks like a DE, and another was thrown away because he was immediately being sacked.