Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

the press is unrelenting .. I hope this kid kicks some ass and proves them wrong.

I'll tell you this:  This could cost Maccagnan his career if he's wrong, makes him the biggest genius since Ron Wolf if he's right.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Folks just look at stats and never consider the big picture.  When this guy had a coach beleived in (who also recruited him) and system he was comfortable with (pro style offense not some stupid gimmicky spread deal) and a playmaker or two (Allan Robinson) he was a projected number 1 pick in the draft had he came out his sophomore year. At the very least top five and probably the first qb taken.   He has arguably the best arm of any qb in this draft and is certainly one of if not the, smartest.  He ran that offense like Peyton Manning.  Making all the reads, the check downs, the audibles etc. AT 18 YEARS OLD.  THIS is what Mac saw and why he drafted him instead of Lynch, who's next snap under center will be his first. 

Bill O'Brien had a chance to draft this kid. He gave Brock Osweiler 18 million a year instead. That says more than any of the rambling you just posted. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You just described Geno Smith. So the Jets got another Geno Smith? A guy who can't perform without a solid line and weapons? Cool. That's awesome. Should go well with the patchwork offensive line they have now. 

No, I described every QB who has ever dealt with the issues that Hackenberg dealt with.  There isn't a single QB in college football (or pro) that could have dealt with what he dealt with at Penn State any differently.  Hackenberg's college experience is actually a lot like Alex Smith's first few years in the NFL. SF almost ruined him. Now?  I'd take Alex in a heartbeat.  

Hopefully Hack doesn't have to deal with that type of bullsh*t in the pros so he can reach his max potential.  This kid, if handled like he should be, has the mental and physical abilities to be SPECIAL.  

For the record, Geno Smith and Christian are astronomically different quarterbacks.  That was a horrible comparison.  Nevermind the fact that Geno had the opportunity to show what he could do with real talent and instead he got himself punched in the jaw over pocket change for an NFL player.  We'll likely never know what Geno could do with this offense because he was a stupid jerkoff.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Folks just look at stats and never consider the big picture.  When this guy had a coach beleived in (who also recruited him) and system he was comfortable with (pro style offense not some stupid gimmicky spread deal) and a playmaker or two (Allan Robinson) he was a projected number 1 pick in the draft had he came out his sophomore year. At the very least top five and probably the first qb taken.   He has arguably the best arm of any qb in this draft and is certainly one of if not the, smartest.  He ran that offense like Peyton Manning.  Making all the reads, the check downs, the audibles etc. AT 18 YEARS OLD.  THIS is what Mac saw and why he drafted him instead of Lynch, who's next snap under center will be his first. 

I don't think anyone would begrudge a QB snakebitten team like the Jets taking on a Hail Mary project as a plaything.

It's the 2nd round that's rubbing the experts the wrong way.  Had we signed the kid the day after the draft was over, Maccagnan would be getting kudos on such an interesting prospect as a curiosity.  For a team with cap issues, an aging roster, no starting QB, and a lof of holes to fill at TE and OL and LB it's a really strange call.  Maccagnan must think this kid is capable of being Drew Brees for him to take him this high.  Let us pray.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Bill O'Brien had a chance to draft this kid. He gave Brock Osweiler 18 million a year instead. That says more than any of the rambling you just posted. 

You realize that the owner gave Brock Osweiler 18 million right?   You my friend are starting to live up to your name.  Why not find another team to root for since this one can't do anything right?   I think Mac, Bowles and Gailey believe in the kid.  That says more to me than some sorry ass fan who keeps whining on a message board. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't think anyone would begrudge a QB snakebitten team like the Jets taking on a Hail Mary project as a plaything.

It's the 2nd round that's rubbing the experts the wrong way.  Had we signed the kid the day after the draft was over, Maccagnan would be getting kudos on such an interesting prospect as a curiosity.  For a team with cap issues, an aging roster, no starting QB, and a lof of holes to fill at TE and OL and LB it's a really strange call.  Maccagnan must think this kid is capable of being Drew Brees for him to take him this high.  Let us pray.

SAR I

Who cares what the "experts" think?  There is no way of knowing if he would have been there in round 3 so why take the chance?   Also where do you get this idea of a Hail Mary project??? This guy is more Pro Ready than Lynch who folks are crying over.   For just once can we forget about all the "noise" and just consider that we may have just found our quarterback for the next 10 years? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

You realize that the owner gave Brock Osweiler 18 million right?   You my friend are starting to live up to your name.  Why not find another team to root for since this one can't do anything right?   I think Mac, Bowles and Gailey believe in the kid.  That says more to me than some sorry ass fan who keeps whining on a message board. 

I was right in Sanchez and right on Geno. I will be proven right again on Hackenberg. I want what's best for my favorite team. Just because I don't toe the company line doesn't mean I'm a bad fan. 

And yes, in theory, the owner signs the checks but unless your name is Jerry Jones, they leave it up to the football guys for the roster. Bill O'Brien gave an unproven Osweiler 18 million and didn't even give Hackenberg a second glance. That says something. He and I could be wrong, but I'd bet on him not panning out. This is the Jets after all. They aren't allowed nice things. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

No, I described every QB who has ever dealt with the issues that Hackenberg dealt with.  There isn't a single QB in college football (or pro) that could have dealt with what he dealt with at Penn State any differently.  Hackenberg's college experience is actually a lot like Alex Smith's first few years in the NFL. SF almost ruined him. Now?  I'd take Alex in a heartbeat.  

Hopefully Hack doesn't have to deal with that type of bullsh*t in the pros so he can reach his max potential.  This kid, if handled like he should be, has the mental and physical abilities to be SPECIAL.  

For the record, Geno Smith and Christian are astronomically different quarterbacks.  That was a horrible comparison.  Nevermind the fact that Geno had the opportunity to show what he could do with real talent and instead he got himself punched in the jaw over pocket change for an NFL player.  We'll likely never know what Geno could do with this offense because he was a stupid jerkoff.

If you listen to the kid, he is glad he had that experience as it will prepare him any adversity he might face in the Pros.   He grew up a lot in the last 2 years and that should only help him make the adjustment to the NFL.   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I was right in Sanchez and right on Geno. I will be proven right again on Hackenberg. I want what's best for my favorite team. Just because I don't toe the company line doesn't mean I'm a bad fan. 

And yes, in theory, the owner signs the checks but unless your name is Jerry Jones, they leave it up to the football guys for the roster. Bill O'Brien gave an unproven Osweiler 18 million and didn't even give Hackenberg a second glance. That says something. He and I could be wrong, but I'd bet on him not panning out. This is the Jets after all. They aren't allowed nice things. 

And therein lies your problem.  You really expect this guy to suck so you can be right, smdh.   Sorry but I can't live in that world; I will let things play out one way or the other.  I don't need to be proven right or wrong.  Mac didn't draft Sanchez or Geno so why are you lumping all three of them together? 

BTW the jury is still out on Geno as he is only going into his 4th year; it may not work out with the Jets but I would not write off his NFL career just yet.  Hackenberg is nothing like Geno or Sanchez other than they all have been drafted by the Jets.  That is where the similarity ends. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

31 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Who cares what the "experts" think?  There is no way of knowing if he would have been there in round 3 so why take the chance?   Also where do you get this idea of a Hail Mary project??? This guy is more Pro Ready than Lynch who folks are crying over.   For just once can we forget about all the "noise" and just consider that we may have just found our quarterback for the next 10 years? 

Hey, you're talking to a guy who wanted the Jets to draft nothing but quarterbacks each year, every year, until we found our franchise guy. 

That said, when there is universal acclaim for a QB (Manning) and there is universal disdain for a QB (Christianberg) it paints a less than optimistic picture.  That said, the only way the Jets are ever going to find a franchise QB is in a stupid, incomprehensible, wrong way just like this so I'm inclined to believe you.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

While Hack may have played in pro-systems and have pro-attributes he is anything but "pro ready".

This guy needs time. I'll bet he doesn't play a down this season. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

"Potential" means nothing. As a Jets fan you should know that. 

Results are what matter.

Enjoy your new generation of Isringhausen, Pulsifer and whatshisface

Try Dark Knight, Gromm (ROY), Thor (100MPH), Matz and Wheeler and stick that up your azz  

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Seriously,  I mean if you hope the Jets continue to be like the Mets and bounce between suck and "potential" that always leads to disappointment, have at it.

I'm much more interested in them becoming like the greatest, most winning championshippy team in the history of American sports.

I'm more interested in sticking a fork in your potato head.

8 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I watched his pro day and the combine. He couldn't complete passes in shorts and a teeshirt. He's not good. At all. 

I don't know a hell of a lot about hackenberg, but when I saw those God-awful combine (or pro day?) passes, I became very concerned. How does a potential NFL QB sail passes miss that bad in shorts and a T-shirt!? 

Also, when the games were for real, he completed 55%? Accurracy is paramount in the big leagues. Gailey has his work cut out for him. Im not crazy about the pick. 

One thing I love about hackenberg is his toughness. Watched a lot of tape on him and he never got up looking defeated. It reminded me of Brady 

even when he was getting leveled every play he was still trying to stand in the pocket to let that play develop even though his sh*tty receivers couldn't get any seperation, and it didn't help he was getting leveled 2 seconds after he got the ball from the center. He is not too broken, he seems smart so he can sit for only a year and may be ready, he is a much better prospect than petty was, not to mention hackenberg is only 21 while petty will be 27 going into his third year I believe.

I've warmed up to the pick after watching a lot of stuff on hackenberg, when he had time he was placing dimes, but he didn't get time too often

• Upvote 3

Got to love Jets fans. MANY posters on this board routinely bash Geno for what a smug, dumb ahole he is; that Geno is not that bright and not that bright at football. The Geno supporters will counter "look at how well he did in college", and the bashers counter with "well, those are inflated stats from a spread offense...college stats don't mean that much...he didn't play in an NFL style offense..."

Then the Jets draft a guy who, if not anything else, is known for a great mind and a strong arm, who just happened to effective run a Pro offense VERY well as a freshman, the Patriots offense no less. 

And all is heard is the bitching that "his college stats suck".

It's pretty funny if it wasn't so sad. I wonder how many guys from the bash Geno/love Geno groups intersect in the "Hate Hack" group.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

No, it actually says nothing about Hackenberg.  Osweiller had been sitting, being prepped to be the Broncos' next starting QB.  He looked good enough in limited game action for O'Brien, in desperate need of a starting caliber QB, to roll the dice.  Hackenberg will be a rookie, and in no way ready to step in as an immediate starter.  Apples and oranges.  The fact that O'Brien recruited and coached Hackenberg is superfluous.  He passed on him because the Texan's had other needs in the 2nd round and already had their so-called "franchise" QB.  Who knows, he may have taken him later if the Jets had not made the pick -- which is a feast or famine type of reach IMO.  Either way, your point is ass-backwards and way off target.

I'm not so sure how can so nonchalantly dismiss the O'Briend point, but it's valid. Whether you want to believe it or not. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm not so sure how can so nonchalantly dismiss the O'Briend point, but it's valid. Whether you want to believe it or not. 

It was the 2nd round.  Texans would be out of their minds to burn a 2nd round pick on any QB in the 2nd round -- they had other positions of far greater priority.  Nothing nonchalant about it -- just rub a couple of brain cells together.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This is pretty silly. Houston ownership and management made a decision to bring in a pro QB to play immediately and go for the division. The Jets drafted Hackenberg high, negating any likelihood that someone like Houston would take Hackenberg as a project (which would have been in the third or fourth). Clearly, the Jets evaluators were sold on him from the get-go and grabbed him, while side-stepping Lynch. Did they draft him too high? Probably. But if you want your guy, that's what teams do. Is it a risk pick? Yup. Do the Jets coaches know more about QB assessment than you or me? Yup. I'll give them the benefit of a doubt and see what develops.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Il Mostro said:

It was the 2nd round.  Texans would be out of their minds to burn a 2nd round pick on any QB in the 2nd round -- they had other positions of far greater priority.  Nothing nonchalant about it -- just rub a couple of brain cells together.

No. You're right. Giving 18 million to an unproven QB who lost his starting job to the ghost of Peyton Manning was so brilliant that they're set for the next decade. Good point. I mean, the Jets had Geno and just drafted Petty, so by your logic they should have never drafted Hack either, since they have other glaring holes and needs. 

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You aren't a bad fan, but I think Mac is a cut above any GM we've had in recent history.  I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Everything I read said he loved Hackenberg!

• Haha 1

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

No. You're right. Giving 18 million to an unproven QB who lost his starting job to the ghost of Peyton Manning was so brilliant that they're set for the next decade. Good point. I mean, the Jets had Geno and just drafted Petty, so by your logic they should have never drafted Hack either, since they have other glaring holes and needs. 

Whether the Texans made the right decision in giving Osweiller the big contract is not the point.  Don't try to deflect the fact that your point was about the significance of O'brien passing on Hackenberg.  Fact is, the Texans made a significant investment and commitment to Osweiler as their guy.   And going with a WR (Fuller) rather than making a sentimental pick of a back up QB makes perfect sense.  You really are a total phucktard.  I gave you way too much credit in suggesting you rub two brain cells together.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Il Mostro said:

Whether the Texans made the right decision in giving Osweiller the big contract is not the point.  Don't try to deflect the fact that your point was about the significance of O'brien passing on Hackenberg.  Fact is, the Texans made a significant investment and commitment to Osweiler as their guy.   And going with a WR (Fuller) rather than making a sentimental pick of a back up QB makes perfect sense.  You really are a total phucktard.  I gave you way too much credit in suggesting you rub two brain cells together.

Ah yes. Insults when you know you're wrong. Cool. What does the Texans drafting a WR in the first round have to do with possibly taking Hackenberg in the second? 

And, yes, the point about Osweiler is valid because the coach of the team knew Hackenberg in much more depth than Osweiler and decided to give a guy who has done less than Geno Smith in the league 18 million a year rather than possibly build around a kid he knew and groomed coming out of high school. 

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, parcellsguy said:

Wow, Great knowledgeable  analysis of Hackenberg... It actually makes me excited for this kid and glad we didn't get Cook... Thank you for sharing... It also goes to show that the Mac is definitely a scout and knows what he is doing.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1