Multi Year Deal For Wilkerson (merged)

Maxman

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Going to free up some money for Fitz for sure. They got him on a deal too. Not JJ Watt money at all!

lol actually it is JJ watt money. higher aav and more guaranteed but who's counting :lol:

Also watt is now signed to a below market deal by current league standards. probably part of the reason why houston felt comfortable giving osweiler that big contract 

Just now, cant wait said:

lol actually it is JJ watt money. higher aav and more guaranteed but who's counting :lol:

If JJ Watt was given his contract in this league year, then it would have been higher than Mo's.

He wasn't. It isn't.

Basic economics.

24 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Wonder where this leaves Richardson

Richardson and Williamson have some time to fight this thing out. We can always trade any one of the 3 if they're all pro bowlers. 

Anyway Mac proved he is the man again. 

All the guys that want him to cave all the time need to move on to Tanny's Dolphins web site. 

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Probably nothing.

Alright, just checking. I wouldn't want you to be mad at me and not say something. I am a nice guy and belieb in communication. The key is to never go to bed angry or resenting one another.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

If JJ Watt was given his contract in this league year, then it would have been higher than Mo's.

He wasn't. It isn't.

Basic economics.

blame idzik for not locking up mo a couple years ago but I agree. Watt is a $20M/year player in this market 

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I'm convinced that you don't actually watch football, or at least don't understand what you're watching when you do.

So you think spending close to 37mil per on the DE position is smart?  Which is probably what we'll be spending per year between Wilk/Sheldon/Williams if Sheldon gets a long term deal.

Jets, Muhammad Wilkerson reach 5-year deal prior to deadline

The New York Jets signed veteran defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson to a new five-year contract prior to Friday's deadline, the team announced.

The deadline to sign long-term deals was 4 p.m. ET Friday. The Jets announced the signing on Twitter at 4:33 p.m.

Wilkerson, 26, received the Jets' non-exclusive franchise tag (worth $15,701,000) on March 1. He was allowed to negotiate with other teams but any club that signed him would have had to surrender two first-round picks to the Jets.

He made his first Pro Bowl last season after leading the Jets with 12 sacks, a career high. He broke his right leg (fibula) in the final game, requiring surgery a few days later -- a six-month rehab, according to team officials.

After being examined by Charlotte-based orthopedist Robert Anderson in mid-February, Wilkerson tweeted an update, saying he was ahead of schedule in his rehab.

The subplot to his successful career -- 36 sacks in five seasons -- has been an ongoing contract drama. Unhappy without a long-term deal, Wilkerson skipped the Jets' voluntary workouts last offseason. He reported to training camp, but informed the organization that he didn't want to negotiate once the regular season started.

Even with an artificial deadline, the two sides didn't come close to an agreement. Wilkerson played for $7 million, the amount of his predetermined, fifth-year option.

Wilkerson, a first-round pick in 2011, has been a starter since Day 1. Technically, he's a 3-4 defensive end, but he can play any position on the defensive line, adding to his value.

In 16 games last season, he recorded 64 tackles and two forced fumbles. He grew up in Linden, New Jersey, about 20 minutes from MetLife Stadium.

Wilkerson has said he was undecided on if he'd report to training camp with the Jets. He told the New York Post last month that he felt unwanted by the team, and he skipped the team's offseason workouts and mandatory minicamp.

ESPN Jets reporter Dick-lick Cimini contributed to this report.

Just now, SenorGato said:

Alright lady, just checking. I wouldn't want you to be mad at me and not say something, I am a nice guy and belieb in communication.

Did you not realize I was baiting you intentionally? lol, all good... I'm glad we locked Mo up, I know you've been breathing heavy over it for a while now.

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

So you think spending close to 37mil per on the the DE position is smart?  Which is probably what we'll be spending per year between Wilk/Sheldon/Williams if Sheldon gets a long term deal.

Depend on the cap, and whether or not we have a QB playing on a rookie deal, among other things.

Glad to see you divert immediately to a hypothetical argument though. I wouldn't want to see that trend get disrupted.

Like most of you , I didn't see this deal getting done either. Apparently , the Jets are sending a message that they are committed to keeping their good players.  This also gives them leverage and security with dealing with Sheldon  (head case) Richardson. Who is probably one incident away from a long league suspension. Maybe they trade him before that happens.   But, Good for him, the Jets , and for us fans watching him make plays each week.    J..E..T..S.....Jets....Jets...Jets !!!!

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Did you not realize I was baiting you intentionally? lol, all good... I'm glad we locked Mo up, I know you've been breathing heavy over it for a while now.

Yeah slick, ya got me. You're a regular Jamie Kennedy.

I've breathed heavy over the dumb arguments not to do it and a racist comment that went ignored because because, but yeah never doubted it would happen.

19 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Yup. The Giants gave Olivier Vernon the same contract. Vernon isn't bad, but he's not Mo.

Difference is Vernon hit free agency. I like this deal for Mo. Home-grown talent, motivated, never heard a spec about his character. 

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

So you think spending close to 37mil per on the DE position is smart?  Which is probably what we'll be spending per year between Wilk/Sheldon/Williams if Sheldon gets a long term deal.

In 2 years when this actually is something to discuss, the cap will be much higher and there are plenty of old guys coming off the books. The Jets have 100 million in room in 2018 and 31 players under contract. Worry about those guys another day. 

Just now, SenorGato said:

Yeah slick, ya got me. You're a regular Jamie Kennedy.

I've breathed heavy over the dumb arguments not to do it and a racist comment that went ignored because because, but yeah never doubted it would happen. 

Pump your breaks. It was good-natured in intent.

I wasn't opposed to your position in those arguments. (And don't know what the racist comment was.)

All these years, and you still haven't figured out the medium... oy.

34 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So I'm not abreast of how this compares to other deals throughout the league because I don't follow salaries because I enjoy having sex with women. How does this stack up to the other money being thrown around the league this year?

It's a higher APY (17M) than JJ Watt (16.66M), and it's the exact APY that Fletcher Cox and Olivier Vernon got this offseason.  Would make him the highest paid 3-4 DE and tied for highest paid 4-3 DE. 

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Pump your breaks. It was good-natured in intent.

I wasn't opposed to your position in those arguments. (And don't know what the racist comment was.)

All these years, and you still haven't figured out the medium... oy.

Sounds like you got annoyed by a response that had belieb in it you good natured, good humored guy you. :wub:

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

In 2 years when this actually is something to discuss, the cap will be much higher and there are plenty of old guys coming off the books. The Jets have 100 million in room in 2018 and 31 players under contract. Worry about those guys another day. 

Suppose you're right.  Though I think this could potentially even make Sheldon expendable next year as trade bait.  I mean is Wilk and Williams are doing great, why pay Sheldon 8mil in 2017?  

Eh guess it's a good problem to have.  Just will suck to see Sheldon go if it happens.  Think he has the most potential out of the group.

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It's elite defender money. Look at the money handed out this year... at least our bloated contract went to a home-drown stud, who is TOP 3 at his position. The comparable contracts given out weren't to players of this caliber, imo.

Agreed.  He's better than Fletcher Cox and more complete than Vernon.  But the only defenders near him in APY are those two and Watt, along with 4-3 OLBs Houston and (now) Von Miller.  All pass-rushers, other than Cox.

NOT surprised by this signing at all. I called it back in May that his Agents would wake-up and WORK with the Jets to make it happen. Seems like they did. 

Oh yeah, and this is WHY I constantly disparage @Raideraholic when he addresses or counters my take. 

THIS is WHY you DO NOT LISTEN TO IDIOTS:

On June 9, 2016 at 0:37 AM, Raideraholic said:

Muhammad Wilkerson was there probably just to use the training facility/staff/ equipment as he rehabbing from broken leg. ( if he was totally healthy doubt he would have made an appearance this offseason at the Jets facility). 

Muhammad Wilkerson is going to be a free agent next offseason , so it behooves him to make sure he takes care of that leg.( a lot of money riding on it) 

Muhammad Wilkerson signs his tender , and reports to training camp on time would be positive sign. Jmo This is just a player taken care of an injury he still rehabbing from.( wouldn't read too much into this).

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Difference is Vernon hit free agency. I like this deal for Mo. Home-grown talent, motivated, never heard a spec about his character. 

I'm a huge Mo fan, so I love the deal. With salaries trending upwards, I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Sheldon asks for 20 million in a few years, so this could be a huge bargain.

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Sounds like you got annoyed by a response that had belieb in it you good natured, good humored guy you. :)

Not likely, I don't think you've ever successfully annoyed me in all these years. Try as you might.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Suppose you're right.  Though I think this could potentially even make Sheldon expendable next year as trade bait.  I mean is Wilk and Williams are doing great, why pay Sheldon 8mil in 2017?  

Eh guess it's a good problem to have.  Just will suck to see Sheldon go if it happens.  Think he has the most potential out of the group.

They certainly could. And given his history, Sheldon could become expendable. Lots of other things to consider. Especially on the offensive side of the ball with the OLine and other issues.  

Archived