Multi Year Deal For Wilkerson (merged)

Maxman

Just now, SenorGato said:

All that dragging out was just the mark of a good FO and a good relationship - both sides were just gauging the FA market in the end. It was pretty much a foregome comclusion, IMO anyway, when that weird Vernon rumor popped up during FA.

I look forward to this monster DL one more time and then turning Richardson into something for the offense.

Well if Richardson has a big rebound year (and keeps his dumb ass out of trouble), he's locked in for what, like $8M next year. Trade value goes down when his upcoming year is under the franchise tag amount. It did for Mo.

At least now it's known we don't end up with neither one (lose Mo, then Sheldon holds out for $35billion/year). 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well if Richardson has a big rebound year (and keeps his dumb ass out of trouble), he's locked in for what, like $8M next year. Trade value goes down when his upcoming year is under the franchise tag amount. It did for Mo.

At least now it's known we don't end up with neither one (lose Mo, then Sheldon holds out for $35billion/year). 

Noise, the Jets were just never all that serious about trading Wilkerson for anything but crazy over the top value like a top of draft QB. Given the dearth of DL talent out there, Richardson will be worth plenty in trade on a one year deal.

27 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

This contract is brilliant. Lines up perfectly with Sheldon pay day coming up + moving on from Revis.

Awesome deal for both sides. Mac pulls another 5 star move off.

Congrats to big Mo, well deserved. It's nice to have a GM who knows what he's doing, Mike Maccagnan has been just as good at the contractual part of a GM's job as he has been on the scouting and player development part ( which was his strength coming into the job ) It has been a pleasure watching him do business the last 2 off seasons and hopefully it continues to show on the field. 

So it sounds like we saved 5.7mil in cap space for 2016.  Add in the 3mil free before the deal and that's 8.7.  Lee still has to be signed, so figure 2mil there.

6.7mil free.  Now don't teams have to keep like 4 or 5mil free for in-season emergency moves?  Or can they just spend everything and restructure deals mid-season if needed to free up room?

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Surprised the Jets pulled this off.

Gotta give credit where credit is do. Great job by Mac and the FO, Mo is a very good player.

Congrats.

i hate to correct the internet english teacher but I believe the underlined word should be "due":D

Jets pull deadline surprise with Muhammad Wilkerson deal

Dick Spit-miniESPN Staff Writer

6:47 PM ET

Here are a few thoughts on Muhammad Wilkerson's new five-year, $85 million contract with the New York Jets:

1. This was their biggest upset since they stunned the New England Patriots in the 2010 playoffs.

This was an out-of-the-blue deadline deal -- a smart move by the Jets. You build championship teams by keeping your best players in the building, and Wilkerson, only 26, is a cornerstone player. The notion of trading Wilkerson never made any sense even though they explored it over the past two offseasons. Give Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan credit for finally recognizing Wilkerson's value. This also alleviates a potential training-camp headache because Wilkerson probably wouldn't have signed his franchise-tag tender by the start of camp on July 27.

2. The big question: Is QB Ryan Fitzpatrick next?

Wilkerson's deal should create more flexibility in the Fitzpatrick negotiations because it opens the possibility of a one-year deal. The Jets had only $3.4 million in cap space before the Wilkerson contract, but that should grow by a few million because they no longer have to carry his bloated franchise tag ($15.7 million). The Jets haven't been keen on the idea of a one-year deal; perhaps this changes things.

3. This raises questions about Sheldon Richardson’s long-term future with the team.

Suddenly, Richardson becomes a valuable bargaining chip. They can put him on the trading block next offseason if they don't think a long-term extension is reachable. The time to trade him would be next year, when his fifth-year option kicks in. If they wait until 2018, when he'd likely have the franchise tag, it would be a repeat of the Wilkerson drama. Richardson has his eye on big, big money (assuming he stays out of trouble), and you can bet he'll be looking for Mo money -- for starters.

4. Wild things happen in the NFL when there's a deadline.

After long periods of silence, the two sides reached a compromise. Wilkerson's deal is strong ($37 million fully guaranteed, $54 million in the first three years), but it's not outrageous. In fact, he'll get only $2.5 million more in 2016 and 2017 than he would've received under two franchise tags -- which would've been a possibility. Maybe Wilkerson, coming off a broken leg, recognized the injury risk. The Jets did a nice job of maximizing the leverage afforded by the franchise tag, and Wilkerson walks away with the highest average-per-year pay ($17 million) in franchise history. Everybody wins.

And ONCE AGAIN Richard. Your HACK-Writing and Jets Hating makes YOU EAT CROW! WRONG AGAIN CHUMP!

19 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Isn't it great to have a GM at the helm who actually knows what he's doing? To keep all of this under wraps from the blood-thirsty newyork media is nothing but amazing.

In Mac we trust, now go sign Fitz! 

Sooo true northern brother !!!

Congrats to Wilkerson for securing his future, it's good to see a player that's
been clean on and off the field get rewarded.  Considering a very average player
like Olivier Vernon got the same deal from the NYG you can't argue with the 
numbers.  Hopefully going forward he can elevate his game from being "good" to
a "game changer".  Love the way our front office is handling our business,
it's a pleasure to have a GM that doesn't let anything leak   

Mo just needs to keep doing what he does. I hope the Jets elevate their game to his level so more people notice how uniquely awesome this player is. Nobody plays as many roles on a DL to the level he does, he is a threat in any role, with the sheer quantity of snaps he plays.

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Ok, we have not seem the details yet but

the average slary for Mo is 2 about the tag and they still have to sign Lee - don't think they could clear 10+ for Fitz

they could restructure Decker and Skrine

The Dickster Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Some details on Mo Wilkerson's stunning $86 million contract with the Jets: On Wednesday night, they made an offer that intrigued Wilkerson's camp. A revised offer arrived via e-mail at 3:15 a.m. Friday -- nearly 13 hours before the deadline. The two sides spent the entire day negotiating, reaching an agreement only minutes before 4 p.m. A few days ago, a deal seemed farfetched. To say this came together quickly would be an understatement. All along, the major stumbling block was the length of the contract. Wilkerson had been seeking a six-year deal. He agreed to five years when the Jets sweetened the pot.

2 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

I'm very pleasantly surprised. I got the alert on my phone and did a double take. I am very happy for MO, us as JET fans and big MAC. Mac brought it to the table. Hey when is Training camp? Lets go!

What app are you using for alerts? I was using the NFL one and its not cutting it anymore.

27 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERF*CKERS

So happy. Good teams keep their best players - Mo is our best player. Fantastic news. Hope he retires a Jet.

Our defence is going to be nasty. 

Nate Diaz amuses me too. Sorry bout Conor.

5 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

That's elite pass rusher money.  I love Mo, but he'd better up his pressure game to elite levels, or a whole heck of a lot of that 17M per better be backloaded or tied up in incentives.

Doggin with the speed we added at LB and the way Bowles likes to blitz it has to free up Mo even more. But keep in mind when in conventional 3-4 its not always Mo's job to rush the passer and that's why I didn't think this deal would get done because 3-4 DL simply do not have the glamorous sack totals. Should be interesting but I don't see Mo laying down like you're namesake :)

Couple  thoughts: 

I'm happy Wilkerson will be a jet for his prime years.

It seems a little Tannenbaum. Simply paying top dollar for a blue-chip player.   But Wilk couldn't have done anything more to earn trust and respect since the day he was drafted.

I just hope we are able to get the big three on the line together in a way that isn't redundant and that works for all of them individually, they are all superstars.  This will lessen the Gurly pass.

If you think about it in respect to how much money we have saved by not paying Wilkerson his market value the last two years, then it is a very good deal in context. Had Idzik signed him to a $14 million deal  two years ago, we would not have had the off-season we did last year. Probably no Revis, even diminished he's still Revis. 

Anyone that is critiquing this is out of their mind. Whatever they would have had to pay him, he's worth it. Wilkerson is the type of cornerstone player that you build franchises around and the Jets are in no position to let someone like that go right now.  I have not been the biggest fan of the Macaggnan era but this has definitely brought him up a notch for me.

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Love Diaz. Conor's obviously my guy but wasn't even mad when he lost. Diaz bros were two of my favourite fighters before Conor even emerged.

think everyone has to love Nate Diaz. I don't think I could trust another man that didn't find him hilarious. 

24 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Couple  thoughts: 

I'm happy Wilkerson will be a jet for his prime years.

It seems a little Tannenbaum. Simply paying top dollar for a blue-chip player.   But Wilk couldn't have done anything more to earn trust and respect since the day he was drafted.

I just hope we are able to get the big three on the line together in a way that isn't redundant and that works for all of them individually, they are all superstars.  This will lessen the Gurly pass.

If you think about it in respect to how much money we have saved by not paying Wilkerson his market value the last two years, then it is a very good deal in context. Had Idzik signed him to a $14 million deal  two years ago, we would not have had the off-season we did last year. Probably no Revis, even diminished he's still Revis. 

Good point. Imagine of Dee Milliner actually comes around for us this season. We basically got Revis back, Dee Milliner in the Revis Trade, Wilk resigned, Big Cat Williams in his second season, Skrine in the Slot, Marcus Williams coming off an impressive 2015 season, The best FS we've had since Rhodes in Ghilchrist, Pryor in his 3rd season, Richardson back to form and a revamped group of LB'ers. 

On paper this defense has the potential to be really special. If Ryan Clady can hold up, Winters takes another step forward like he did last year, Breno is replaced with something better, The WR duo continues on its path, Forte adds that versatility and Geno is in fact "light years ahead" of what he was last camp.....this is going to be fun to watch. 

Archived