Are The Jets The NFL's Smartest Team?

Jets2013

Article posted on gang Green Nation...interesting read.    How many Ivy League players are there currently in the NFL?   I didn't know that about Fitz.  Highest Wonderlic score in NFL history is kinda cool.  Not sure how it translates to the field but it's interesting lol =D

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/9/5/12798874/are-the-new-york-jets-the-nfls-smartest-team   

There is an old expression which says"it's hard to coach stupid" and the Jets coaching staff might agree. In the very "physical" game of professional football the most underrated talent might just be the mind. In a sport where they have a combine and pro days where they dissect every aspect of an athlete's physical make up how important is the "mental" part? According to many experts the biggest adjustment from the college game to the NFL is not the size of the players or the speed of the game as much as it is the mental preparation that goes into it. If that is the case, then maybe the Jets have a leg up on the competition.

Now I think we can all agree determining one's intelligence simply by where someone went to school would not be very "smart". To go to an Ivy League school and get a degree however, you must be pretty bright with strong study habits. In a sport where training camp requires up to 15 hour days and several of those hours spent studying in the film room, those study habits might just come in pretty handy. You might be thinking "ok that makes sense, but how does this relate to the NY Jets?" Well, the Jets have the unique distinction of being the ONLY NFL team that currently has 3 former Ivy League players (Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mike Catapano and Josh Martin) on their 2016 53 man final roster.

If there is any position on the football field where you would want a smart player it's obviously at quarterback. Led by former Harvard graduate Ryan Fitzpatrick (who threw for a 40 year team record 31 TD's in 2015) the Jets are poised for a potentially big season. Although the NFL schedule certainly didn't do the Jets any favors opening up with a brutal first 6 games, none against an opponent who had a losing record last season (4 of them on the road), they have the pieces in place to weather the storm. These pieces include one of the best defenses in football, a wide receiver group which could arguably be among the best in the NFL and former or current All Pros at almost every positional group. Ironically the onlypositional groups which don't feature former or current All Pro players are the two where the Ivy Leaguers come from...the quarterbacks and outside linebackers. So maybe the Jets weaknesses can be offset with intelligence.

Fitzpatrick (who was taken in the 7th round of the 2005 NFL draft, 250th overall) was an All Ivy League Player where he won the 2004 Bushnell Cup Award as the Ivy Leagues Most Outstanding Offensive Player. As is the case for most rookie QBs, Fitzpatrick took the Wonderlic Test (a test designed to determine football IQ). To date,Fitzpatrick has the highest Wonderlic Test score ever achieved among NFL quarterbacks. Fitzpatrick was a back up until his junior season at Harvard but still managed to accumulate 6,721 yards of total offense breaking the old school record despite only starting in 17 games. So although he was a late bloomer in college he finished strong, a pattern he would like to repeat in his professional career. If 2015 is any indication it would certainly seem that he is headed in that direction.

On the defensive side of the ball you have the two other Ivy League graduates in Columbia's Josh Martin (a 2013 undrafted free agent) and Princeton's Mike Catapano (a 7th round, 207th overall pick of the 2013 NFL Draft). Between the 3 players you would hardly predict NFL success based on where the were selected going in...but here they are. Each of them now at least 3 years into their professional careers, it may be a testament to their work ethic and mental make up that these players have each grown on the professional level. Josh Martin (who has 4.57 speedat 245 lbs) wasn't on anybody's radar going into the 2016 season to make the 53 man roster but he outplayed guys who were publicized ahead of him. Martin was an All Ivy player who started 30 games for Columbia recording 29.5 tackles for loss and 17 sacks over his 3 years as a starter.

Like Fitzpatrick, Princeton's Mike Catapano won the 2012 Bushnell Cup Award his senior year as the Ivy League's Most Outstanding Defensive Player. Catapano (who coincidently was teammates with Josh Martin in Kansas City before both found their way to the Jets) is more than just a brainiac, he is a bit of a physical freak. Catapano, (who was reported to have run a 40 in the 4.7's weighing 290 lbs in last years tryout with the Jets before being signed) had pro day numbers comparable to any 1st round player including a 37.5 vertical, 33 reps on the bench and 4.7 speed. Catapano was also a late bloomer in college butexploded his senior year tying the all time Ivy League record for sacks in a single season. Catapano averaged 1.2 sacks per game and 1.5 TFL per gamehis senior year. Again, like his quarterback, Catapano hopes to repeat that "late bloomer" pattern he had in college now in the NFL. Catapano is currently slated to start at OLB this week vs Cinci, a position he won last year before losing his season to injury.

So while they say "it's hard to coach stupid", maybe a better expression would be "it helps coaching smart players". One thing is for sure, coach Bowles won't have any issues with these 3 guys remembering their playbook. Do smarts translate to success in the NFL? Well for the Jets and their only positional groups without NFL All Pros, the NY/NJ fans who bleed green certainly hope so.

I'm not sure I buy into the correlation between number of Ivy League grads and Football success.

If it were true, we'd have more guys like this on the team:

tumblr_n0p2ceJXfQ1rkgpyfo1_500.png

Terry Bradshaw was said to be dumb as a rock.  Didn't hurt the Steelers in the least.  Just sayin'

sometimes smart isn't what you are looking for; by all accounts Mangini and Shotty were smart, but it didn't always translate to the field (Shotty overthought everything). on the flip side, bradshaw is dumb as a doorknob, but he had football smarts and excelled on the field.

So, i would rather the Jets win than win miss congeniality (or dr. smart).

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

I'm not sure I buy into the correlation between number of Ivy League grads and Football success.

If it were true, we'd have more guys like this on the team:

tumblr_n0p2ceJXfQ1rkgpyfo1_500.png

Terry Bradshaw was said to be dumb as a rock.  Didn't hurt the Steelers in the least.  Just sayin'

I just realized when I saw this picture... it's the exact same hairstyle Fitz had when he came to training camp!

All I know is I like that Kyle Petty and Christian Hackenberg both have a smart QB like Ryan Fitzpatrick to learn behind. Granted he may not be the best QB in the game, but he certainly is the smartest one and his numbers last year were the best we've seen from a Jets signal caller in a generation.

I was watching a documentary where a Bears player said Jim McMahon was the smartest man he ever worked with. Book smarts don't always translate to instinct and ability. It's more about an individual than anything.

David Wells spent his spare time lighting beer farts and tag teaming waffle house waitresses. He was flat out one of the smartest pitchers I've ever seen work on the mound. People who go to "Havaad" are good at taking tests and learning in a group.

8 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

All I know is I like that Kyle Petty and Christian Hackenberg both have a smart QB like Ryan Fitzpatrick to learn behind. Granted he may not be the best QB in the game, but he certainly is the smartest one and his numbers last year were the best we've seen from a Jets signal caller in a generation.

You mean Bryce Petty.  Kyle is a retired NASCAR driver who now does NASCAR broadcasts.

As for Fitz, when he was with Buffalo, to paraphrase how one of his teammates described him: "Harvard in the meeting room, Alabama (or whatever the player's college was) on the field".  If Fitz had an NFL quality arm and a bit less determination to make things happen all by himself, I truly think he'd be one of the best QBs in the NFL.  When he's forced into "gunslinger mode", bad things happen.  He needs a stout defense and good running game to have success, which he seems to have with the Jets, much more so than he ever had with the Bills or any other team he's started for.

9 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I was watching a documentary where a Bears player said Jim McMahon was the smartest man he ever worked with. Book smarts don't always translate to instinct and ability. It's more about an individual than anything.

David Wells spent his spare time lighting beer farts and tag teaming waffle house waitresses. He was flat out one of the smartest pitchers I've ever seen work on the mound. People who go to "Havaad" are good at taking tests and learning in a group.

This ^ and Terry Bradshaw who is good for a couple of million per year, has made more money after playing than most retired jocks can ever hope for is called dumb.

10 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Kyle Petty?

Pepsi+500+Qualifying+sm7qClBb6dKl.jpg

Archived