Well The Cubs Are No Longer Company

JetPotato

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, JiF said:

The NBA is by far, not even close, the worst product in all of sports.  95% of the season isnt even watchable and with the current trend that isnt going anywhere of forming "Super Teams", there is literally no parody.  We're going to watch the same exact Finals, 3 straight years in a row.  And the "Superstars", while very talented maybe like we've never seen before are the biggest whiny cry babies pussies the sporting world has ever seen who make it nearly impossible to enjoy the game.

This +1

39 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Ehhhhhhhhhh...... In my generation (20s-30s), baseball is drawing little to no interest.

Football is all the rage and frankly, there's probably more interest in hockey than baseball.

Luckily for baseball, they won't be affected much by a generation of people who just stare at phones all day and have no money to spend anyway.

The next generation is out in full force playing the game in unseen numbers as youth participation in football is dropping like a stone. 

Ratings are up, revenues are up. Baseball is going to be fine.

10 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Luckily for baseball, they won't be affected much by a generation of people who just stare at phones all day and have no money to spend anyway.

The next generation is out in full force playing the game in unseen numbers as youth participation in football is dropping like a stone. 

Ratings are up, revenues are up. Baseball is going to be fine.

We'll see. I'm sure baseball will be fine but it will never get to the level of football.

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Yep, people are finally catching onto what just a sh*tty, sh*tty product the NFL is. 

It doesn't hurt that it has gotten exponentially sh*ttier in the past 5 years, but yea, I've had a difficult time staying interested in almost every NFL game I've watched this year. I think the Packers/Falcons last weekend was the best game I've seen so far. It's not good.

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

The NBA is by far, not even close, the worst product in all of sports.  95% of the season isnt even watchable and with the current trend that isnt going anywhere of forming "Super Teams", there is literally no parody.  We're going to watch the same exact Finals, 3 straight years in a row.  And the "Superstars", while very talented maybe like we've never seen before are the biggest whiny cry babies pussies the sporting world has ever seen who make it nearly impossible to enjoy the game.

ehh...I'm pretty sure there's lots of parody in the NBA.  Now parity on the other hand....:P

2 hours ago, loluchka80 said:

you want to wait 60 more years?

I don't "want" to wait even another year.  

But it's not like I get a say it, right?

Jets Fan for life, good or bad.  Even if that means I die never seeing my team win a title, much as that would suck.

52 minutes ago, JiF said:

meh, I lost interest when i realized most of the games didnt matter until the final 2 minutes.  

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If the numbers are any indication, baseball isn't going anywhere and it's doing better than football. Football is the dying sport. 

You're not paying attention.  The average age for a baseball fan is between 53 and 60.  Meanwhile, little leagues are merging or downright closing all over the country.  And baseball has the fewest number of players found in the Millennials' favorite athletes.

One thing to note; it isn't just baseball, you're right about that.  Youth interest in viewing sports is waning almost across the board.  But the mind-numbingly slow pace of baseball doesn't translate at all to the young generation.

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm gonna need a ruling on this one. Do they really count for that category? Because they're on their 3rd city. I feel like you need to be in one place for the entire time for a ringless streak to count, so the drought gets passed down from generation to generation; and it's not like there is anyone in Chicago crying about how the Cardinals haven't won a championship since 1947.

Agreed.  The Arizona Cardinals still have somewhat of a "shiny and new" feel to me in that city; they've only been there since 1988.  You can't feel that much pain over a franchise that's been in a city for 28 years. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Fantasy football is keeping the NFL relevant. Without that, their ratings would be even worse.

I feel like the devaluation of the RB position has even hurt the Fantasy Football drawing a bit.  I remember the days where the strategy was to draft 2 RB's in the 1st nd 2nd round.  Now there' not even enough reliable RB's to make it through one round.  The rest are all committee RB's.  It's not the concussion rules, it's not even the don't touch the QB rules, it's the fact that CB's just flat out are not allowed to cover anymore. 

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

We'll see. I'm sure baseball will be fine but it will never get to the level of football.

It'll never have the decline like football has either.  Football won't exist one day after it starts getting banned in High Schools, thus destroying the NFL pipeline, while Baseball will keep on chugging. 

The Roman Empire had a really high apex too. 

15 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

You're not paying attention.  The average age for a baseball fan is between 53 and 60.  Meanwhile, little leagues are merging or downright closing all over the country.  And baseball has the fewest number of players found in the Millennials' favorite athletes.

One thing to note; it isn't just baseball, you're right about that.  Youth interest in viewing sports is waning almost across the board.  But the mind-numbingly slow pace of baseball doesn't translate at all to the young generation.

Agreed, my hometown in Jersey had 2 leagues for about 40 years.  One of the leagues went under a few years back and basically merged over.  Where I live now in LI, baseball is getting killed in the Spring by Lacrosse and Spring Soccer.  The travel baseball teams do OK, but the standard local league has a hard time getting kids.

3 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I feel like the devaluation of the RB position has even hurt the Fantasy Football drawing a bit.  I remember the days where the strategy was to draft 2 RB's in the 1st nd 2nd round.  Now there' not even enough reliable RB's to make it through one round.  The rest are all committee RB's.  It's not the concussion rules, it's not even the don't touch the QB rules, it's the fact that CB's just flat out are not allowed to cover anymore. 

Thats a really good point. I haven't had a fantasy team in about 10 years. It jist ruined the games for me, watching for specific players and their garbage stats. 

8 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Agreed, my hometown in Jersey had 2 leagues for about 40 years.  One of the leagues went under a few years back and basically merged over.  Where I live now in LI, baseball is getting killed in the Spring by Lacrosse and Spring Soccer.  The travel baseball teams do OK, but the standard local league has a hard time getting kids.

Lacrosse is the fastest growing in participation by a mile.  Futbol, largely due to the popularity of the FIFA video game, and that many of the Generation Xers  and Gen Ys played the sport as kids.... they now have children that are being raised to appreciate the beautiful game and of course play it.

Matches are 90 minutes with zero commercials. Makes for better TV than baseball.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Fantasy football is keeping the NFL relevant. Without that, their ratings would be even worse.

Not just "even worse".  I think it's one of the driving forces behind the sport.  NFL = mainly driven by gambling.  It used to be a great sport to watch but it has been so watered down that the soul is being lost.  People used to make fun of Arena league football but the NFL decided to move TOWARD that model. 

17 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Lacrosse is the fastest growing in participation by a mile.  Futbol, largely due to the popularity of the FIFA video game, and that many of the Generation Xers  and Gen Ys played the sport as kids.... they now have children that are being raised to appreciate the beautiful game and of course play it.

Matches are 90 minutes with zero commercials. Makes for better TV than baseball.

I still find soccer to be boring but I do appreciate that it's far more "old-school" than "modern sports".  I just don't think there's quite enough excitement in that sport (I wish I did though).  I do enjoy the world cup though.

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I still find soccer to be boring but I do appreciate that it's far more "old-school" than "modern sports".  I just don't think there's quite enough excitement in that sport (I wish I did though).  I do enjoy the world cup though.

There are matches that can be quite boring.  Absolutely.   Every sport can have boring games.   I am not a fan of the theatrics in the men's game...nobody is.  But soccer and hockey easily have the best flow to watch.   The two are very similar in the way players move in space without the ball or puck. 

44 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I think you're partially right.  Little leagues merging and closing in my opinion is due more to the prevalence of travel and club teams.  The number of these teams has destroyed rec baseball.  It's also diluted the competitive travel teams as well.  I think an average travel team has the talent level of a good rec team from 25 years ago.  I think baseball missed a generation of fans, but I think there are a ton of young kids that fans.  And yes, lacrosse and soccer are hurting football and baseball.

I think football is the sport in real trouble.  The obvious head injury factor, the international soccer game is extremely popular with young kids, lacrosse, but one of the biggest factors is the game itself.  The owners/etc are killing the game.  The rules changes to help the offense specifically.  It's made the game hard to watch with all of the penalties, the prevalence of the passing game I believe has led to an increase in big hits, which has had a snowball effect.  The kick returner is gone from the game.  One of the most exciting plays.  The true RB is gone from the game, with very few exceptions.  I think it's hurting fantasy football as well.  The talent is watered down, the game is overexposed with all of the games, parity is awful.

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It'll never have the decline like football has either.  Football won't exist one day after it starts getting banned in High Schools, thus destroying the NFL pipeline, while Baseball will keep on chugging. 

The Roman Empire had a really high apex too. 

If they ever did ban High School football then that would be possible but that's not going to happen.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

The NBA is by far, not even close, the worst product in all of sports.  95% of the season isnt even watchable and with the current trend that isnt going anywhere of forming "Super Teams", there is literally no parity.  We're going to watch the same exact Finals, 3 straight years in a row.  And the "Superstars", while very talented maybe like we've never seen before are the biggest whiny cry babies pussies the sporting world has ever seen who make it nearly impossible to enjoy the game.

I wouldn't walk across the street to see an NBA Finals game if they had a free ticket at Will Call waiting for me.

44 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

If they ever did ban High School football then that would be possible but that's not going to happen.

Not going to ban it, but it's possible that litigation will force districts to drop it.  Some are predicting that insurance companies could stop writing liability policies or dramatically increase premiums to school districts.  

I hope it doesn't happen, as I loved playing HS football, but it's a real possibility...

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Baseball just had it's biggest season in years and NFL ratings are down. Try again. 

Note that NFL ratings are only down for the nationally televised night games.  Sunday, Monday, and Thursday are getting hit badly. 

The 1PM and 4PM Sunday slots are flat or up to last year for CBS and FOX.

The ratings dip for 8PM football is similar to the drops for all evening programming due to the contentious election and increased popularity of internet streaming.  It has nothing to do with boring games, lack of quarterbacks, too many penalties, endless commercials, over-saturation, etc. I agree on all those points, but it's not the reason why the NFL ratings are suffering.  Jets fans are watching Jets games same as prior years, we're just not watching SNF, MNF, or TNF because we're watching CNN.

SAR I

The NBA, in 2016, is a crap product. I might sound like an old man for a 37 year old, but in the 80s and 90s it WAS a different sport. Contact was allowed. You know how CBs playing any form of D is illegal now? Yeah, you can thank the NBA for starting that trend.

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

There are matches that can be quite boring.  Absolutely.   Every sport can have boring games.   I am not a fan of the theatrics in the men's game...nobody is.  But soccer and hockey easily have the best flow to watch.   The two are very similar in the way players move in space without the ball or puck. 

The 'theatrics', as you call it, just might be the most disgusting display of sportsmanship in modern sports. In the NFL you get a flag for too much celebration. In soccer the OTHER guy gets a yellow card when someone decides to cheat (calling it what it is) and pretend to be injured. Sickening sport. 

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Note that NFL ratings are only down for the nationally televised night games.  Sunday, Monday, and Thursday are getting hit badly. 

The 1PM and 4PM Sunday slots are flat or up to last year for CBS and FOX.

The ratings dip for 8PM football is similar to the drops for all evening programming due to the contentious election and increased popularity of internet streaming.  It has nothing to do with boring games, lack of quarterbacks, too many penalties, endless commercials, over-saturation, etc. I agree on all those points, but it's not the reason why the NFL ratings are suffering.  Jets fans are watching Jets games same as prior years, we're just not watching SNF, MNF, or TNF because we're watching CNN.

SAR I

All the baseball games are at 8PM and their ratings are up. 

But I guess if you're a CNN viewer, facts aren't that important to you.

Congrats to the Cubs.  What a huge monkey they just got off their backs!   But what about the few of us who don't enjoy baseball, basketball, hockey?  I was stupid enough to put all my eggs in the J-E-T-S basket.  Ugh.. 35 years I've been following this team.

I was bored today, so I put together a list of all the NFL teams and their championship droughts. The Jets are in 11th place in terms of longest championship drought. Don't you feel better knowing the Cardinals have been waiting 21 years longer than us? I sure don't.

NFL Team Most recent championship  Drought in years
Cardinals 1947 NFL Championship 69
Lions 1957 NFL Championship 59
Eagles 1960 NFL Championship 56
Vikings ---- 55
Titans 1961 AFL Championship 55
Chargers 1963 AFL Championship 53
Browns 1964 NFL Championship 52
Bills 1965 AFL Championship 51
Falcons ---- 50
Bengals ---- 48
Jets 1968 Super Bowl III 48
Chiefs 1969 Super Bowl IV 47
Dolphins 1973 Super Bowl VIII 43
Raiders 1983 Super Bowl XVIII 33
Bears 1985 Super Bowl XX 31
Redskins 1991 Super Bowl XXVI 25
49ers 1994 Super Bowl XXIX 22
Jaguars ---- 21
Panthers ---- 21
Cowboys 1995 Super Bowl XXX 21
Rams 1999 Super Bowl XXXIV 17
Texans ---- 14
Buccaneers 2002 Super Bowl XXXVII 14
Colts 2006 Super Bowl XLI 10
Steelers 2008 Super Bowl XLIII 8
Saints 2009 Super Bowl XLIV 7
Packers 2010 Super Bowl XLV 6
Giants 2011 Super Bowl XLVI 5
Ravens 2012 Super Bowl XLVII 4
Seahawks 2013 Super Bowl XLVIII 3
Patriots 2014 Super Bowl XLIX 2
Broncos 2015 Super Bowl 50 1

EDIT:  What if you count AFC/NFC Championship wins?  Then the Jets suck even more! We are then in third place in the list of suckitude...

NFL Team Most recent championship  Drought in years
Lions 1957 NFL Championship 59
Browns 1964 NFL Championship 52
Jets 1968 Super Bowl III 48
Chiefs 1969 Super Bowl IV 47
Vikings 1976 NFC Championship 40
Dolphins 1984 AFC Championship 32
Bengals 1988 AFC Championship 28
Redskins 1991 Super Bowl XXVI 25
Bills 1993 AFC Championship 23
Chargers 1994 AFC Championship 22
Jaguars ---- 21