What does Bowles need to do to keep his job after this year?

hokiejetfan92

If Bowles wants to be the NYJ HC after 2018  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Bowles needs to...

• It would be unfair to fire Bowles no matter how the team performs, this team sucks.
    • Wins don't necessarily matter, but Bowles needs to improve his management/Team improves over year
    • Minimum 5 wins
    • .500 Record is a must this year
    • Playoffs or Bust
    • Bowles is already dead coach walking.

With it being obvious that the Jets are going to try to rebuild the roster this offseason and next, it seems Macc will most likely remain the GM after this year. With the tank being in, it also does seen to be fair to expect Bowles to make the playoffs this season to keep his job.

After the horrific game management and lack of control of the team this past season, I'm thinking he shouldn't be guaranteed his job no matter what, but I also agree you can't make chicken out of whatever you want to call this current roster. Does Bowles even have a chance to make it through the year?

1. He needs to show that he can motivate his players

2. Make better game management decisions

3. Be a better defensive strategist. He stayed with the same old schemes last year game and game out, even though he clearly didn't have the talent to execute it. I thought defense was his thing. He also had absolutely no clue what to do with Sheldon Richardson

4. Stop being so conservative and

5. Stop sticking with players that obviously suck (see Ryan Fitzpatrick).

i hate to say it, but experience tells us that coaches who have these problems don't tend to improve. See Rex Ryan...

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

1. He needs to show that he can motivate his players

2. Make better game management decisions

3. Be a better defensive strategist. He stayed with the same old schemes last year game and game out, even though he clearly didn't have the talent to execute it. I thought defense was his thing. He also had absolutely no clue what to do with Sheldon Richardson

4. Stop being so conservative and

5. Stop sticking with players that obviously suck (see Ryan Fitzpatrick).

i hate to say it, but experience tells us that coaches who have these problems don't tend to improve. See Rex Ryan...

This.  End thread.

He needs to put in both a defensive & offensive "system" that these young players get behind & show development over the course of the 2017 season. His biggest project is revamping the secondary & creating a pass rush. If he has another season giving up 3rd downs and this defense finishes again at the bottom of the league he doesn't survive considering that defense is supposed to be his expertise. 

15 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

Something tells me Woody is actually on board with this massive hardcore rebuild.  I personally am all for it.  That tells me both Mac and Todd are safe through 2018 though.  Buckle up guys.

And this is incredibly important.  If they felt pressure of getting fired, you run the risk of throwing stupid $$ at Cutler as well as signing JAGs to huge contracts and trading away future assets to cripple the team years after they are fired.  

Of course, that's what Idzik was doing and Jet fans turned on him and make him the butt of every joke.

His only fault was Rex winning a couple of meaningless games to prevent us from getting Mariota.  That would have expedited our rebuild to just one year instead of this quagmire we're currently in.

I think it is more about how the team looks rather than how well they actually play... If that makes any sense.

The most disheartening thing about last year wasn't that dreadful QB play, which was always a possibility with Fitzpatrick at QB. It was the horrible play by the defense -- lackluster effort, poor communication, blown coverages, bad angles, just all around lazy, undisciplined play. If the team (in general) looks just as sloppy, unmotivated and poorly prepared in 2017 as they did in 2016 I think you absolutely have to dump Bowles. I'd rather see a bunch of scrubs hustling their @$$ off trying desperately to make plays as a cohesive unit than a bunch of overpaid former stars playing at 3/4 speed.

Bowles is not losing his job. This team is gutted and getting a ton of youth. They will not put a young team through multiple coaching regimes in their first couple years. If Bowles was getting fired it would've happened this year with the rebuild beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I agree with you....now that he's staying that is.

My complaint is that there is a clear change of direction taking place, and if I was going for a reboot or rebuild, nothing Bowles has shown me the past two years suggests that he is the one to lead it. He should have been canned after the season.

Well lets just say the Jets have no shot of winning more than 5 games this year. Wouldn't it be in Maccs best interest to fire Bowles to save face in front of Woody and Ny media, then he can get one more chance to pick a HC and probably get himself a minimum of 2 more years. Bowles might already be in a no win situation

15 hours ago, Pcola said:

And this is incredibly important.  If they felt pressure of getting fired, you run the risk of throwing stupid $$ at Cutler as well as signing JAGs to huge contracts and trading away future assets to cripple the team years after they are fired.  

Of course, that's what Idzik was doing and Jet fans turned on him and make him the butt of every joke.

His only fault was Rex winning a couple of meaningless games to prevent us from getting Mariota.  That would have expedited our rebuild to just one year instead of this quagmire we're currently in.

Exactly.  Then you're pretty much putting another band-aid on and bound for being mediocre at best.  It's best to just bite the bullet and start over.  At some point when the Patriots lose Belichick and Brady they are no longer going to be a dominant force.  I think that happens in the next three years and if the Jets play their cards right and make the right moves they can be in line just in time to take over at that point.  We need to nail this draft having the 6th pick then picking at the top of every round minus the fourth.

6 hours ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Well lets just say the Jets have no shot of winning more than 5 games this year. Wouldn't it be in Maccs best interest to fire Bowles to save face in front of Woody and Ny media, then he can get one more chance to pick a HC and probably get himself a minimum of 2 more years. Bowles might already be in a no win situation

5 or less wins and this entire regime is gone by January 

Ok it's 2018, the tank as happened. We just gone 1-15.

Darnold is in our sights, do we let Bubba Gump develop this kid?

Absolutly not, Todd would have done his job (tank). The Jets would be a very, very tempting place to come to with a young Franchise QB. No way Todd's still here if this happens.

I agree with you....now that he's staying that is.

My complaint is that there is a clear change of direction taking place, and if I was going for a reboot or rebuild, nothing Bowles has shown me the past two years suggests that he is the one to lead it. He should have been canned after the season.

Completely agree. He should've been fired this year.

I don't care one bit about his record in the up coming season so In that respect we know Bowles will not win many games.

BUT if he keeps making the same bone headed game management calls and still refuses to adjust to what other teams are dictating he should be out and fast. The guy has got to show some growth as a head coach.

On 3/9/2017 at 9:18 PM, Snell41 said:

Bowles is not losing his job. This team is gutted and getting a ton of youth. They will not put a young team through multiple coaching regimes in their first couple years. If Bowles was getting fired it would've happened this year with the rebuild beginning.

So if Bowles keeps making the same dumb mistakes hes made the first few years he gets to keep his job ? Sorry but NO. 

We all know he will have a young team but he can't deflate them by constantly making dumb calls in close games like he did his first 2 years here. He cant keep sitting on the ball with 1:30 seconds and 3 time outs left in the half without trying in some way to get points. He also cant keep burning timeouts for no reason other than mismanagement early in the second half.. Also calling a time out in the second half of a game on any down other than 3rd in opponents territory is inexcusable.

Archived