Fess Up: Draft Day Traditions Rituals or Superstitions?

Sarge4Tide

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I remember we used to go to the Felt Forum wearing our Sack Exchange Jerseys. I was Abduul Salaam. Oh yeah we usually were wasted as hell too. I guess that could have been called a ritual.

I'll bet you don't wear that Abduul Salaam jersey out there in Michigan or you'll get sniped by your militia homies.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'll bet you don't wear that Abduul Salaam jersey out there in Michigan or you'll get sniped by your militia homies.

LOL. That and I would have to lose quite a bit of weight to get the friggin thing on.

Don't really have once since they stopped doing it on the weekends.

I'll just throw the TV on and expect the Jets to be involved every time they say "There's been a trade".

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Pizza.  Usually with Gyro meat and feta cheese.

That and a comfy chair.

Sadly, the true era of enjoyable drafts ended when they dumped the Saturday/Sunday schedule.

Draft has never been the same for me tbqh, much less fun.

Yep I really miss the Saturday Sunday format.  But basically everything good, they have to ruin.  

11 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

I remember we used to go to the Felt Forum wearing our Sack Exchange Jerseys. I was Abduul Salaam. Oh yeah we usually were wasted as hell too. I guess that could have been called a ritual.

Were you there for any of the "Jet Draft Blunders" drafts?  Maybe you even appeared on the video??  Possibly you were the one who said "obviously the Jets know something that the people up here don't"???

Thursday my 3 boys and I will grill up some NY Strip steaks and make an immense amount of pasta and minestrone.  There will be plenty of Crown XO.

Friday is a pizza and wings.  Much more XO will be drunk.

Saturday is no sound on the tube, poker, barbeque and Molson Brador Day

My wife, <cringe>, is a Patriot fan and usually only comes in during her teams picks.

6 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

Thursday my 3 boys and I will grill up some NY Strip steaks and make an immense amount of pasta and minestrone.  There will be plenty of Crown XO.

Friday is a pizza and wings.  Much more XO will be drunk.

Saturday is no sound on the tube, poker, barbeque and Molson Brador Day

My wife, <cringe>, is a Patriot fan and usually only comes in during her teams picks.

Surprised she hasn't called child services on you yet.:D Seriously, I can empathize with you. My wife is a long time Giants fan and ticket holder. Every year, around week 5 or 6, when we're 1-4, 2-4  she'll bust my balls with something like   " you told me the Jets had a great draft." Always with love, though.B)

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Were you there for any of the "Jet Draft Blunders" drafts?  Maybe you even appeared on the video??  Possibly you were the one who said "obviously the Jets know something that the people up here don't"???

To tell you the truth my friend I've seen never seen that video but my Brother and I attended many of those drafts so you never know.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If anyone has any traditions or rituals please for the love of god change them.

Came in to say this. How could anyone have a superstition that they are still holding onto after years of bad drafts????

I'll be coaching my kids hockey team until about 7 and then running home to watch all the BS pre-draft talk on ESPN and NFL network. 

6 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

put on a jets t shirt drink heavily comfort eat pizza. wake up next day google who got drafted in the late 20s and 30s because i was too drunk and mad to remember. post online how terrible our pick was

Ha! That's almost me exactly.  Except the next day I read your posts, and think to myslelf, that the glass is still half full. lol.

I used to go to the book store, grab Joel Buchsbaum draft guide & sit & check off the players as the draft went on. Even though I had no clue who these guys were it was fascinating to actually see who was left at a particular position & see if the jets drafted him. Joel died at the young age of 48, too bad ESPN could have used him guy was truly the first real draftnik when there wasn't even a term for it.

This is pretty cool regarding how much respect Belichick had for Joel Buchsbaum:

"Among the stories Belichick told about Joel was trying to hire him when he was the head coach at Cleveland and after he was hired by New England," McClain writes of the service that was held after Buchsbaum died. "As Belichick explained, Joel politely declined, saying he felt like he worked for every team as long as he was at PFW and covered the league.

"For those of you who never got to hear or read Buchsbaum, here's the ultimate compliment I can pay him. We all know how super-secret Belichick is. At the service in Indianapolis, Belichick told a story that showed how much respect he had for Joel's personnel acumen.

"Belichick said every year, the day before the draft, he called Joel and disclosed his draft board. Belichick said he actually made a few changes now and then based on Joel's evaluations.

"On Wednesday, I seriously doubt Belichick is going to be calling any of the current draftniks and revealing his draft board to get their opinion."

Archived