Abusing the reputation system

Maxman

So I don't want to call out names, but the reputation system has logs. We can see who leaves reputations. 95% of it is good, the system is working as designed. When you see a post you want to express an opinion on, you can click the appropriate rep emoji.

That said, there are a few people here abusing the reputation system. If you find yourself leaving neg rep for everything someone posts, please consider using ignore. There is no reason to neg rep someone 10 or 20 times in a row, all of their posts.

This is not what the system was designed for.

The purpose of this post was just to let everyone know we can see what is happening. We ask that you don't abuse the system. Otherwise we will have to restrict it from those that abuse it.

Thanks.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have the technology now to limit neg rep to one per day per person, or 2, or 3. However many you choose. 

No reason why you need to start a fight or ban people over the rep system. Like the cops in Boston you don't let the protesters get within striking distance. 

That's just a suggestion. I have no problem with watching the chaos then seeing all these emotionals get bant. 

45 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just so you guys understand

Everyone suffers when the emoji system is used to

Terrorize a poster who will remain nameless.

No one here should be peppered with the buttfumble emoji 

Unless maybe that someone is, like, super unhinged.

Thanks.

I guess it doesn't really matter what people deserve. It's just fun. It's not like butt fumbles lower your credit score...do they? 

I don't like the new system because I can't give someone neg and positive rep on the same post...you know, like a warning. 

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

So I don't want to call out names, but the reputation system has logs. We can see who leaves reputations. 95% of it is good, the system is working as designed. When you see a post you want to express an opinion on, you can click the appropriate rep emoji.

That said, there are a few people here abusing the reputation system. If you find yourself leaving neg rep for everything someone posts, please consider using ignore. There is no reason to neg rep someone 10 or 20 times in a row, all of their posts.

The purpose of this post was just to let everyone know we can see what is happening. We ask that you don't abuse the system. Otherwise we will have to restrict it from those that abuse it.

Thanks.

Can the program be set so if any poster gives more than 2 neg reps in 24hrs  any subsequent neg reps left by them will also cause a neg rep on their own profile?

May work to deter abuse of the system.

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

I miss the old up down  reps, too many choices now.

22 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

I miss the old up and down too. What happened to the poll? Can we get rid of everything except up and down?

As typically happens with dictatorships, the dictator occasionally pretends to listen to/care about the people, but then when the voice of the people doesn't go their way, they just ignore everyone and do whatever it is that they really wanted all along.

This is the true current abuse of the reputation system!  Down with @Maxman!!!

32 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

As typically happens with dictatorships, the dictator occasionally pretends to listen to/care about the people, but then when the voice of the people doesn't go their way, they just ignore everyone and do whatever it is that they really wanted all along.

This is the true current abuse of the reputation system!  Down with @Maxman!!!

scar.gif

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Thanks.

Can it be called emoji shaming?   lol

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Thanks.

BC7.gif

I vote to add a cooldown on the butt fumble.  Should only be able to use 1-2 butt fumbles per day.  It will make it more sincere and used more appropriately if it is limited.  I have no idea what this is in reference to but I had this thought fumbling around in my head since the introduction of the new reaction system.

The "ignore" option isn't enough for certain posters. Particularly ones who called DeWayne Robertson a "bowling ball with butcher knives;" or ones who stood on the table shouting that Vladimir Ducasse couldn't be a bust because his family was poor and Haitian; or ones who said "Calvin Pryor is possibly an all-time great pick...Rodney Harrison or Ronnie Lott are not completely unrealistic expectations."

Admittedly, I'm not the one doing the neg-repping here, but I respect the commitment. 

Butt hurt over rep is amazing. Out of principle those who whine about it should be rewarded with more neg rep.    I don't recall Maxman paying out the most rep'd posters.

That aside, some posters really just deserve it.  

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Butt hurt over rep is amazing. Out of principle those who whine about it should be rewarded with more neg rep.    I don't recall Maxman paying out the most rep'd posters.

That aside, some posters really just deserve it.  

That is fine. But logging in and seeing 37 negative reps isn't the spirit in which we really want here.

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Thanks.

This never happened at Pats fans .com.  Just sayin.... :)

4 minutes ago, peebag said:

I have given you a butt fumble, not out of hate but of love.

before i hit submit on my comment i realized i was leaving myself open to this. i paused for a brief moment and submitted anyway.  I have enjoyed a couple of pile ons so...  

All kidding aside I dont think I have used neg rep more than 20 times in 11 years of visiting this site and 

I am sure I have received many more neg strikes than that. 

I have found over time just not engaging with those who show a predilection for that sort of thing (name calling, ^ neg rep usage etc) works well. 

Putting the knuckleheads on ignore can help for some but I prefer not to do that simply because of their entertainment value.

Archived