There goes the whole "the kid learned humility" angle for Geno

jgb

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yep just like IK. The three Jettsiest Jets of the Rex Ryan era.

And just like the IK situation, Geno doesn't not know how to just walk away and be the bigger man. To paraphrase Grocho Marx: Don't get into a public pissing match with a bloviating fool. They will just pull you down to their level and beat you from experience. Can't let Rex goad you like that. He's not even clever about it. 

image.png

I get it it just seems that you seem to hold him to a higher standard then the guy twice his age.  I agree that you pick your battles but in some respect it might feel like a betrayal in his eyes.  Why would he purposely single him out with all the issues the Jets had under his tenure.   If he should be missed at anyone it should be at Woody Johnson and John Idsik.

4 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I get it it just seems that you seem to hold him to a higher standard then the guy twice his age.  I agree that you pick your battles but in some respect it might feel like a betrayal in his eyes.  Why would he purposely single him out with all the issues the Jets had under his tenure.   If he should be missed at anyone it should be at Woody Johnson and John Idsik.

I'm not the standard setter but man talk about gobbling down obvious bait with a big gleeming hook in it. I will also point out that what Rex said isn't even that controversial (albeit ham-fisted and petty also, knowing Rex). He said "Geno is a good kid, great guy but I just wouldn't want him as my QB." Well neither do the 32 active GM/HCs in the NFL. That's why he is a BACK UP.

And he didn't "single out" Geno. Geno was playing tonight. Rex is a commentator. So he commentated.

56 minutes ago, Reynolds1029 said:

I get that he should have just said nothing but Rex was completely wrong for saying that seeing how he drafted the guy. And oh basically forced him into the starting role

The coach forced one of his own players into the starting role? LOL. Isn't that what coaches are supposed to do with players?  

Genos body of work suggests he sucks, his attitude sucks and I’m glad that clown is not on my team.  If you are a fan of his root for the crappy giants.  Jet fans rest easy, Geno is never going to remind anyone of any good qb. 

He shouldn't have said that in public. He should've internalized it and put it past him. Rex is a media guy now, so that's what he's paid to do. And apart of their job is to commentate and give their opinions. Use those negative opinions as fuel and prove them wrong. I see where he's coming but when you're in the position you're in its best to be quiet. 

Rex didn't want him, we know he wanted Sanchez to start in 2013 and it cost us our season.  Geno has a right to go back at him even though he was wrong saying he saved Rex's job as Geno was terrible most of that season.  a decent QB and we make the playoffs. If mark doesn't get hurt we make it and Idzik forced Geno on Rex.

Rex Ryan, A leader of men.

Geno is a young guy trying to resurrect his career and Rex publicly sh!ts on him for the sake of a cheap sound bite..

HCs are paid to lead and as such its expected they be more mature and display a deeper intellectual capacity than the young and many times immature guys they coach.

Rex was never ever that guy and never will be.

He was a hoax as a HC, now a rube as a commentator and has been making false predictions and saying dopey things for years so why expect anything else?

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I like how Rex is blowing his chance at becoming a broadcaster by choosing to litigate old slights with everyone that he sees as having sabotaged his career. 

The longer I live the more apparent it becomes that insecurity is one of the most destructive human characteristics. It needs to replace gluttony as one of the 7 deadly sins. 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

The longer I live the more apparent it becomes that insecurity is one of the most destructive human characteristics. It needs to replace gluttony as one of the 7 deadly sins. 

Probably the truest words ever spoken on JetNation

11 hours ago, Xtina said:

The coach forced one of his own players into the starting role? LOL. Isn't that what coaches are supposed to do with players?  

Geno clearly wasen't ready in 2013 and he put Sanchez in a meaningless preseason game. He got hurt and Geno starts when he should have sat on the bench. Rex was wrong putting Sanchez in that Giants game. Rex also said that he dosen't want him as his QB. Why draft him and why play him for 2 years if you don't want him as your QB? He makes Rex look hilariously stupid because he is. 

12 hours ago, pajet said:

Could be wrong, but from what I recall Geno was forced on Rex - leading to Rex trying to win the illustrious snoopy bowl w Sanchez in the 4th quarter leading to injury leading to Geno starting by default....at least that is how I recall it.

Rex always had control of who starts and who dosen't. He was just trying to make Geno and John Idzik look stupid by having his savior Mark Sanchez win the "big one." But instead it blew up in his face and had to start Geno for the year due to Mark's injury. 

30 minutes ago, Reynolds1029 said:

Rex always had control of who starts and who dosen't. He was just trying to make Geno and John Idzik look stupid by having his savior Mark Sanchez win the "big one." But instead it blew up in his face and had to start Geno for the year due to Mark's injury. 

Idzik had all the power, he knew Idzik wanted him gone that's why we got neutered Rex his last couple of years here.  Idzik wanted him to start Geno, Rex didn't want to start Geno.  Sanchez outplayed him in camp and preseason but after a disastrous start for Geno Rex wanted Mark to make it no contest.  Unfortunately he got hurt and ruined our season. The injury was on Rex, Mark already separated himself but idzik ran that team and he was at the mercy of that incompetent fool.

On 12/5/2017 at 12:07 AM, UnitedWhofans said:

Eli- Grits his teeth about being benched and goes with the company line

Geno- Attacks Rex Ryan is his press conference for something that was said on a Sunday morning pregame show 

You're much better at this than me. You've perfectly captured the point.

In Geno's mind his failure has nothing to do with him not earning the respect of his teammates or developing the ability to read defenses and avoid turnovers, it was because "coward" Rex Ryan didn't give him a shot, despite 99% of his starts coming... under Rex Ryan. It's never Geno's fault.

22 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Rex Ryan threw him under the bus but you have a problem with Geno defending himself?  Your agenda is showing...

Yes, considering an opinion is by definition the expression of one's agenda, that's exactly right. 

Geno smith sucks I can believe we are still talking about the bum anyone who has more interceptions then turn overs more interceptions then starts, more turn overs then games he has played in does not have room to talk. If I recall that 8-8 team was set up by the gm to loose and the defense bailed them out. Geno showed some promise but it went to to his head and he never developed the mentality to play in this league at a constant high level.

Any one defending geno smith as a nfl starter needs to really question his knowledge of the game.  Rex has his issues an he has a biog mouth but he did something with the jets to championship games he lost but hey he was the coach there and the people that hate him have to remember those yrs with some happiness or joy. Rex ran his course and needed to go but neither has room to talk

6 minutes ago, rammagen said:

Geno smith sucks I can believe we are still talking about the bum anyone who has more interceptions then turn overs more interceptions then starts, more turn overs then games he has played in does not have room to talk. If I recall that 8-8 team was set up by the gm to loose and the defense bailed them out. Geno showed some promise but it went to to his head and he never developed the mentality to play in this league at a constant high level.

Any one defending geno smith as a nfl starter needs to really question his knowledge of the game.  Rex has his issues an he has a biog mouth but he did something with the jets to championship games he lost but hey he was the coach there and the people that hate him have to remember those yrs with some happiness or joy. Rex ran his course and needed to go but neither has room to talk

Your opinion nothing more.  Geno had 105 passer rating his last 4-5 starts in his second season and was the projected starter the following season until his face ran into IT's first.  His next chance to start he was playing ok before getting a season ending knee injury.    This Sunday in his first start since the injury, he played well enough to win and had marched the team down the field for what should have been the game with the winning score if the defense had down its job.   I get this emotional response to Geno as if he committed some personal affront to you or your family,  but he is still only 25-26 and some team will sign him this off season and he may very well win a starting job.  The NFL is not exactly brimming with blue chip talent at the quarterback position.  Bottom line is if Fitzpatrick and McCown can last and play in this league, there is no reason to believe Geno can't in the right situation.

Archived