JETS FIRE OC JOHN MORTON (MERGED)

JetFreak89

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

The organization just fired him. Is this rhetorical?

And if they just didn't get along?  If the other coaches and players didn't get along with him.  How is being blamed for the offenses production, had nothing to do with it.  People, coaches, get fired for lots of reasons.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Produce 28 ranked defense YP, get extensions and glorified by Jets homers

Ah yes, the glorification of Todd Bowles is rampant! 

I don’t understand how this even makes Morton this cool head franchise saving OC that got scapegoated. Hisoffense sucked and they’ve literally done better under the same HC. 

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Why would Arians leave a HC job in Arz to become an OC under Todd Bowles . 

because he is bowle's mentor. doesnt want to be a head coach but maybe help his buddy develop a young qb for 2 years. my guess is it prob wont happen but he has shown to be a great qb developer with big ben, luck, and making palmer a decent qb in his older years. prolly be hailey tho

Sorry Morton's offense wasnt as great as everyone made it out to be. McClown had a career year and it looked better than it was. When McClown had a bad game it showed what he was really running, when Petty got in there it showed what he was really running. I could have lived with another year to give him a chance to improve but let's not make him some guru based on what we saw this year. If you are going to have a young gun coming on board, maybe you dont want him in a mess of an offense right from the begining. Maybe the offense was very rigid and it wont fit Mayfield's skill set. :-)

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And if they just didn't get along?  If the other coaches and players didn't get along with him.  How is being blamed for the offenses production, had nothing to do with it.  People, coaches, get fired for lots of reasons.

Then the Ineptitude for hiring him should also be placed on the HC who hired him...based on said assumption

2 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I thought he was ok, certainly an upgrade over Gailey.  But, it's a tough business and if we can get someone better, it's a good move

1 minute ago, faba said:

Never forgave the guy for saying gave up in Denver sorry that is not acceptable no matter what

To me the issue at hand is less about these things than it is about accountability within this organization. We're seeing the 2nd bad HC in a row being allowed to dump his who staff, hand-pick new guys, dump them and then get a "reset" for himself in the form of an extension.

It's Rex's last 3 years all over again. It's a terrible look for us, and even worse for the evolution of this football program. I've said it before, you come coach for the Jets and on day 1 it becomes an exercise in avoiding being fired and maximizing the amount of paychecks you pull in. It's not about building the program here. Ever.

It's probably why Belicheat split. Cared too much about winning.

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And every offensive player has to learn yet another offense for the 3rd time in 4 years. Meanwhile Todd and his under achieving DC get to enjoy another year of continuity.  Look out Kevin Greene you'll be the scapegoat next year. 

Name all those 4 year vets we have on offense.

And of course you know who the new OC is and what kind of offense these vets will have to learn

42 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Cimini saying the breaking point was the Carolina game where they passed 3 times at the goal line

If true, then it's more Rex-ey than ever. Ground and pound, moral victories and scapegoats... oh my!!!! 

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Can't argue with the bowles influence... But haley did pretty well in the desert previously as well.

Yeah but supposedly the players and coaches disliked Morton , why would they replace him with Haley who's been hated at multiple places he has worked. 

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Then the Ineptitude for hiring him should also be placed on the HC who hired him...based on said assumption

Really, so you have yourself covered.  A HC should know what the guy he hired, one with no track history, who never said he wasn't interested in going to Vegas, should have known.  Lol.  

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Jets OC John Morton is out. 3 names to keep an eye on: 1. Jeremy Bates 2. Todd Haley 3. Eagles QB Coach John DeFillipo

DeFillipo was Bowles first choice last year, but the EAgles blocked us. This year DeFillipo was getting interviews with the Cardinals. I wonder if we could pry him from teh Eagles if we tried again... or if DeFillipo requested that the EAgles block it so he didn't have to take the PR hit of turning us down himself.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Name all those 4 year vets we have on offense.

And of course you know who the new OC is and what kind of offense these vets will have to learn

I'll repeat it real sloooooooow for you. The offense has to learn a new playbook once again, no continuity which was why everyone wanted Todd coming back.  Even if they promote the QB coach Bates the offense will change yet again. 

Please don't let the Jets hire Todd Haley.  The guy seems like a lunatic to me plus he has off the field issues (getting into a bar fight last offseason).  I'd be happy with Arians or to give DeFillipo a chance though.  I would be bummed if it were Haley (which is why I expect him to get hired).

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Wasn’t it Bowles Who said it was his own decision to run out the clock before the half even though we were down 2 scores ? That is not cowardly giving up?

Not exactly.  Bowles said he wanted to get into the locker room without another mistake.  Moron admitted he stopped calling passes at the end of the game because he gave up. Was not a good admission

2 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

I thought Defillipo contract was up making him available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right, I stand corrected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/13/defilippos-contract-expires-after-the-season-making-him-free-to-leave/

DeFilippo’s contract expires after the season, making him free to leave

Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2018, 10:01 AM EST
89750088-e1515855643227.jpg?w=560&h=316&
Getty Images

In response to the news that the Seahawks may hire Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo to be the team’s next offensive coordinator, some of you have asked whether the Eagles would let him leave. This year, they have no choice.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, DeFilippo’s contract expires after the season. Which means the Eagles won’t be able to block him from taking another job elsewhere as an assistant coach.

Last year, a report emerged that the Eagles reneged on a promise to let DeFilippo leave for a coordinator job elsewhere, with owner Jeffrey Lurie saying “no” after coach Doug Pederson and executive V.P. of football operations Howie Roseman had said he could.

By rule, a team can block an assistant under contract from leaving for another team as an assistant coach, even if the new job technically constitutes a promotion. For DeFilippo, he can take any other job he wants in 2018, with any other team.

I knew this coming after the report that Morton was rumored to be going with Gruden. Hopefully they will hire Todd Haley and then when Bowles is finally fired Haley would be in the running for HC. Maybe that will be enough incentive for Haley to take the job.

Archived